2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So I decided to play with a VST demo (Garritan) to my CA79 but I am not sure how do I get the audio to playback via my CA79 speakers instead of the Laptop? I installed ASIO4all as I read but it seems I would need to connect a cable from the headphone jack of my laptop to the line input of the piano if I wanted the audio from the piano speakers.
There is no other way? I hope I am just missing something simple.

Thanks!

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . it seems I would need to connect a cable from the headphone jack of my laptop to the line input of the piano if I wanted the audio from the piano speakers.

That's the simplest way -- a stereo cable (possible with a split into two "Line In" plugs) from the laptop to the "Line In" on the DP.

_If_ the CA79 supports audio-over-USB, the computer should show the CA79 as an "USB audio output device":

. . . Point the VST's audio output to that device;

. . . the VST should be audible through the CA79 loudspeakers.

Most DP's don't have that option, but you might be lucky.

If you want _just the VST_ to play through the speakers, find the menu system's setting for "Local Control", and turn it _off_.

If you leave it on (which is the default), you'll get a mix of the VST and the CA79's built-in piano sound.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 11/29/20 04:08 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
The CA79 does not have audio over USB so only option is to use the suggestion in your post. You should be able to turn off the inbuilt piano sound to only have the VST thru the piano speakers.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boboulus
The CA79 does not have audio over USB so only option is to use the suggestion in your post. You should be able to turn off the inbuilt piano sound to only have the VST thru the piano speakers.
A so that rules out the M-Audio UNO USB to midi cable I was going to get then? Or wouldn't that work?

I tried the laptop and even connecting the Laptop to a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 USB Audio Interface and then connecting the line output of the Scarlett to the line input of the CA79 but either is a ton of noise in the audio unfortunately smirk Same result using the headphone output of the Scarlett or Laptop.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
LGabrielPhoto,

The M-Audio UNO USB to MIDI cable is intended for connecting the MIDI IN/OUT connectors of a piano or keyboard to a computer via USB. However, the same functionality can be achieved using a USB A-B cable between the piano and computer.

A 3.5mm stereo audio cable should be sufficient to connect the audio output from a computer to the Line In connector on the CA79. Then you need to adjust the Line In Volume knob and output volume of the laptop to find a good level.

You may experience a 50/60hz humming noise when both Line In and USB are connected simultaenously, please refer to the recent thread below regarding this topic:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3050895

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Kawai James
LGabrielPhoto,

The M-Audio UNO USB to MIDI cable is intended for connecting the MIDI IN/OUT connectors of a piano or keyboard to a computer via USB. However, the same functionality can be achieved using a USB A-B cable between the piano and computer.

A 3.5mm stereo audio cable should be sufficient to connect the audio output from a computer to the Line In connector on the CA79. Then you need to adjust the Line In Volume knob and output volume of the laptop to find a good level.

You may experience a 50/60hz humming noise when both Line In and USB are connected simultaenously, please refer to the recent thread below regarding this topic:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3050895

Kind regards,
James
x
I was checking the thread too. So looks like the only way to achieve what I need is to connect my laptop headphone output or the Focusrite line output with the 3.5mm cable as the Kawai won't receive audio via USB. Correct?

Correct.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Correct.
Ok thanks for the clarification. I will work on fixing the noises then and go from there. Although, I am likely just going to enjoy the stock sound. It seems Bright 1 setting gives me the bit of sparkle I like in my room for some pieces. smile

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You just connect an audio cable from your focusrite audio interface to ca79 front audio in (3.5mm socket). Then usb lead from ca79 (again the front socket, not the one that's higher up though as that's for updating ca79 software) to PC. I get minimal to zero ground loop noise, I did at first a little bit it dissapeared luckily.

Use the audio driver that came with the focusrite not asio4all (although that's just my personal opinion).

My ca99 actually distorts if garritan is played too loudly, think it may be the soundboard speakers distorting, not sure.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
You just connect an audio cable from your focusrite audio interface to ca79 front audio in (3.5mm socket). Then usb lead from ca79 (again the front socket, not the one that's higher up though as that's for updating ca79 software) to PC. I get minimal to zero ground loop noise, I did at first a little bit it dissapeared luckily.

Use the audio driver that came with the focusrite not asio4all (although that's just my personal opinion).

My ca99 actually distorts if garritan is played too loudly, think it may be the soundboard speakers distorting, not sure.
Yes I am doing that but its way too noisy. My wive's laptop is better with the headphone jack (it is a newer laptop) than my laptop is even using the Focusrite. I wonder if a cheap USB sound card like the Creative Sound Blaster R3 can clean the noise..or maybe I just need a newer laptop lol

O
O
I go USB from Keyboard to laptop.
USB from laptop to Scarlet
Lineout from Scarlet to line in on keyboard.

Works with no hiss or noise.

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
O
O
Don't use line out or headphone out from your laptop. Use USB to focusrite, then the out from the focusrite. Use the thunderbolt ASIO driver... No Asio4all.

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OU812
Don't use line out or headphone out from your laptop. Use USB to focusrite, then the out from the focusrite. Use the thunderbolt ASIO driver... No Asio4all.
I HAVE used the Focusrite lineout to the Kawai but it still super noisy. Nothing helps. I need to try the Focusrite with my wife's laptop that is newer to see if it has less noisy design overall. At least even without Focusrite my wife's laptop was cleaner but still not good enough

Last edited by LGabrielPhoto; 11/30/20 05:46 PM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes that is how I am doing it with my laptop. Need to try my wife laptop with Focusrite...that should work better. I need a new laptop lol

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Have you tried the USB and audio ground loop insulator that Jay suggested in the other thread? From the electronics that I know that sounds (pun intended) like the solution to your problem. Everything else is like refueling the tank, changing the oil or the battery when your car has a flat tire.

M
M
Reading the title, this is a thread I could have started myself. I have the EXACT same question...” How do I get VST audio to playback via my CA79 speakers instead of the Laptop? “

I’m so glad you asked this, LGabriel!

Now, I just need to read through this and digest the info. I’m a total newbie to VST/computer, so it’s going to take me multiple reads to get an understanding on what to do.

So, thanks everyone for helping out with replies on this subject. More than just the original poster is benefiting.👍

Muskie

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Muskellunge
Reading the title, this is a thread I could have started myself. I have the EXACT same question...” How do I get VST audio to playback via my CA79 speakers instead of the Laptop? “

I’m so glad you asked this, LGabriel!

Now, I just need to read through this and digest the info. I’m a total newbie to VST/computer, so it’s going to take me multiple reads to get an understanding on what to do.

So, thanks everyone for helping out with replies on this subject. More than just the original poster is benefiting.👍

Muskie
Haha nice.
Well it ends up pretty simple in terms of configuration but the hard part is dealing with noises depending on your setup.

M
M
That’s one thing I couldn’t deal with.... noise issue. It would kinda defeat the purpose of the whole thing.

I see Kawai James gave a link to a noise issue thread. I need to look at that as well.

Reading so far in this thread, there’s a bunch of terms which are Greek to me.... Focusrite, ASIO4, ASIO driver, to name a few.

I need to hit the books regarding this computer/VST to digital piano subject, that’s for sure.

Once this cv19 thing settles down, what I really need is to pay someone knowledgeable to stop by with their laptop /VST, hook it up to my CA79 and give me a demo of what some VSTs can do. A picture says a thousand words, as they say. I have some monitors if those are a must for a clean sound.

I hate to say I’m an imbecile on the computer/VST subject, but frankly...I’m an imbecile on the computer/VST subject. LOL.(Crying Out Loud would be more appropriate)

Muskie

Originally Posted by LGabrielPhoto
Need to try my wife laptop with Focusrite...that should work better. I need a new laptop lol

I may be wrong, but if the Focusrite is outputting the sound, I don't believe changing the laptop will influence things a great deal.

To check if the noise that you're hearing is a 60hz Ground Loop hum, please try disconnecting the USB cable between the piano and the laptop to see if this removes the sound. If it does, it's probably best to use a USB-to-MIDI cable to connect the two, as mentioned in the thread I linked to previously.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
R
Sorry, I’m new to all this. Can someone explain what a VST is and the benefit of using one on a Kawai DP via the methods above?

Last edited by Ress; 12/01/20 02:45 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission