2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (clothearednincompo, cygnusdei, Bill McKaig,RPT, Damien PG, CyberGene, EVC2017, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,357 guests, and 513 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Mac, you joke about Casio’s calculated past, but I wonder if they could further expand on the all-in-one digital by including not only a calculator, but also a phone, a fax, printer, copier, and a pen-holder.

Such an instrument might not make sense for the average -1st world- musician, but for some people living in poor countries it could be a very useful product; serving both as a piano and a ‘mobile’ office (the flagship will also include Bluetooth and cellular data for a minimal monthly fee).

L
L
Originally Posted by Muskellunge
I have a Casio PX870. I like its default Grand piano sound very much. The problem with that 870 was the action. Not good. The short pivot. Some keys noisier than others. On mine in particular, the C key right of middle C was wobbly and clicked right out of the box. Basically defective. Playing it for about 10 months, a couple other keys developed a similar flaw, but not as nearly bad as that C key.

In the USA Casio gives a 1 year parts and labor warranty. So, at about at 11 months I took it in for service stating I had 3 defective keys which rattled.

so I see my PX870 screwed action was not unique experience

L
L
Originally Posted by Pete14
Mac, you joke about Casio’s calculated past, but I wonder if they could further expand on the all-in-one digital by including not only a calculator, but also a phone, a fax, printer, copier, and a pen-holder.

that will be the very spirit of a digital pianos industry - to release a piano with features that are 10 years old legacy already : D (jut like two colors lcd screens with buttons now on $2k+ models)

Last edited by lgsml; 11/30/20 03:07 PM.
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
@pete14 you forgot about the all important Casio Wrist Watch wink

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by lgsml
so I see my PX870 screwed action was not unique experience

No, durability has apparently been a problem in Casio actions for over a decade at least. And looks like they still haven't fixed it.

C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
...the GP models of course a completely different and their durability might still be a mystery. But is there that much to go wrong? Maybe not.

K
K
Never seen it in a store

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Pete14

that will be the very spirit of a digital pianos industry - to release a piano with features that are 10 years old legacy already : D (jut like two colors lcd screens with buttons now on $2k+ models)

I have a wired phone, a fax, printer, copier, and a pen-holder; are you saying I am ten years behind?

How dare you!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

To be useful, the screen just needs to display characters and numbers (ex the name of the sound). I don’t think an high resolution color display add much value. An improvement of the sound generation or the keyboard is more welcome.

EDIT : but yes, Yamaha generalised the LCD screen on their Clavinova 6 years ago... then an high end CLP470 had still 7 segments led display... like the N1X !!

Sometimes, buttons are better since we have a feedback when the key is well pressed. On my phone, I had to install alternative calculators (i41CX+, Free42... yes, I am also an HP fan) to have an haptic feedback.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 11/30/20 05:35 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
I think the number one reason is probably due to the scarcity of GPs at shops (kind of the same complaint made about Kawai versus Yamaha), so relatively few people are exposed to them. That means all that a lot of us have to go by are second/third-hand accounts, and that's when the overly-aggressive marketing claims come into play.

For Casios that have good market penetration (PX-160/870, AP-420, PX-5S, etc.), I really see no shortage of likes or positive discussions....

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Originally Posted by Muskellunge
I have a Casio PX870. I like its default Grand piano sound very much. The problem with that 870 was the action. Not good. The short pivot. Some keys noisier than others. On mine in particular, the C key right of middle C was wobbly and clicked right out of the box. Basically defective. Playing it for about 10 months, a couple other keys developed a similar flaw, but not as nearly bad as that C key.
Muskie

I have been pounding away daily on my PX-870 for over a year now, and thankfully have experienced no issues at all with the action... it feels perfectly fine to me, plus there are no noisy keys, and I have zero complaints with the short pivot. Muskie, I hope that you get yours back to working as it should very soon, and that it will go on to provide you with trouble-free playing for years to come!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio Privia PX-870BK
- Casiotone CT-680
- Casiotone CT-S300
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My next piano will probably have the Roland "hybrid grand" action. I'll never be able bring myself to refer to it without scare quotes. Luckily I can just call it Roland's newest action for now. They've got away with it so far on this forum, but if the action makes its way into a stage piano the real fun will start. I don't see any reason to get offended when people slag my piano manufacturer, and in this case I think they deserve it.

A
A
A story for you all:

3 years ago, was looking to buy a DP for my mother (used mainly by me when I am there and by various grand-kids) went into a shop and chose Casio 770 over the arius 143, p-125 and other comparable DP’s out there from Kawai - and I didn’t even know going in that Casio makes DP’s at this level.

This year Covid forced me to buy a DP for myself (practice only as I own a grand) and the same thing happened all over again - i literally went onto a store to buy a Roland and in the end chose a Casio 870.

Making the same decision 3 years apart is not, i believe, a coincidence: Casio is doing something right (at least in my case).

Oh - and 3 years later - no technical issues. And i didn’t notice the short pivot until I read about it here.

Last edited by almo82; 12/05/20 12:49 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Casio PX-870
Former owner of Petrof 131
PianoWorld Member/Lurker since 1999
I tried the GP-510 a few months ago. I loved the action, the best out there IMO, barring the Kawai’s NVs and the Yamaha’s NXs.
However the sound overall was a disappointment. I understand it is possible to improve the parameters and get a nice Berlin Grand sound, which may be enough for playing.
The GP 510 is also a bit pricey, nearly the same bracket as the Kawai CA99, the latter being a much better option altogether.
My feeling was that Casio is letting down Bechstein in their partnership.

B
B
Originally Posted by johnstaf
My next piano will probably have the Roland "hybrid grand" action. I'll never be able bring myself to refer to it without scare quotes. Luckily I can just call it Roland's newest action for now. They've got away with it so far on this forum, but if the action makes its way into a stage piano the real fun will start. I don't see any reason to get offended when people slag my piano manufacturer, and in this case I think they deserve it.
i think a lot of people are looking forward for a stage piano with the grand hybrid action.
Actually i myself am thinking about upgrading from my FP-30 to the FP-90.
But i can't help thinking to myself that the FP-90 is already a few years old and that it would be time for Roland to present something like a "FP-100" with the grand hybrid action.
so on one side i think i should wait for a (hopefully not so long) time and on the other side i keep thinking if there is really THAT much difference between the PHA-50 and the Grand Hybrid Action that would justify the waiting (and a with no doubt higher price)

O
O
I love the Casio GP action, while recognising that it's not a true 'Hybrid' instrument, I would compare the GP series to Yam,aha's CLP775 and Kawai's CA79. Unfortunately the sound engine really lets the piano down compared to these two instruments - I would not buy a Casio GP to use as a 'turn on and play' instrument.

I have actually bought a Casio Grand Hybrid because I got a very good deal, and it helped me to justify the cost purely as a cabinet MIDI controller. I use it mostly with PianoTeq 7 and I genuine think its the best combination I could have without purchasing an ACTUAL hybrid instrument.

Hopefully Casio will do something sensible like partnering with PianoTeq (like Steingraeber have) to provide a decent sound engine for their lovely action in their next DPs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,250
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission