2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
The best way to avoid memory lapses is to play with the score. Not only will you avoid memory lapses but you will also avoid the anxiety that goes along with fear about memory problems. You will also be able to learn a lot more music.
Playing with the score is not always possible.
What situations are you thinking of? For amateurs I can't think of any and even pros are using the score more and more these days.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
The best way to avoid memory lapses is to play with the score. Not only will you avoid memory lapses but you will also avoid the anxiety that goes along with fear about memory problems. You will also be able to learn a lot more music.
What situations are you thinking of? For amateurs I can't think of any and even pros are using the score more and more these days.

Here are three:

A student recital where the teacher requests to play by memory
You are at a friend’s house and they ask you to play
You find a piano ‘in the wild’ and want to play it

FWIW: my teachers recommend I have a couple of pieces memorized

T
Tom97 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I've stated multiple times on this forum that even though I read music a lot and I do it everyday, I still cant do it at full speed. Otherwise this would be a perfect solution.
When I've played a piece multilple times, it gets into my muscle memory and from this point I no longer read but its more like I look for the musical patterns. When I mess up, I actually have to find the exact place where I messed up in the score and then switch into reading note by note instead of just glancing on the big picture. This takes some time however..

W
W
Is memorising doing so by sequence of beginning to end or is it that you should be able to pick it up from any random bar if asked to do so?

And should you be able to write the whole score out?
If not is it just another form of muscle memory?

Last edited by Wayne2467; 11/30/20 02:32 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted by Tom97
even though I read music a lot and I do it everyday, I still cant do it at full speed. Otherwise this would be a perfect solution.
When I've played a piece multilple times, it gets into my muscle memory and from this point I no longer read but its more like I look for the musical patterns. When I mess up, I actually have to find the exact place where I messed up in the score and then switch into reading note by note instead of just glancing on the big picture. This takes some time however..
The trick is to always keep your eyes on the score when playing, so you know where you are at all times, even when you look away to your hands occasionally. It's no different to giving a speech, reading aloud from a script to an audience, even though most of the lines are already in your memory because you've read through it so many times.

Sooner or later, you'll have to learn to do this, otherwise you'll end up having to memorize every piece you ever learn before you can play it properly. It's easy for you at present, because your pieces are short, but what happens when you're learning a ten-page piece in a few years' time?

If music be the food of love, play on!
Online Content

Here are three:

A student recital where the teacher requests to play by memory
You are at a friend’s house and they ask you to play
You find a piano ‘in the wild’ and want to play it

FWIW: my teachers recommend I have a couple of pieces memorized
Having a few pieces memorized to cover the second and third situation is reasonable and a far cry from memorizing everything or almost everything. For the first, I think teachers these days should be and probably are more amenable to not requiring memorization for non professional pianists.

V
V
I will tell you right away that I am not a professional, but an amateur. I only play and write music if I have free time. But yesterday I accidentally found an interesting clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xx7MZze2RU&ab_channel=WOODJU and after reading the information on Instagram about WOODJU https://www.instagram.com/woodju22/ . I learned that this masterpiece was composed by one of my friends. What can you say about his music?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission