2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (c++, CharlesXX, brdwyguy, Beansparrow, AndrewJCW, Beowulf, Antho123, 9 invisible), 536 guests, and 539 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
back after 34 years
#3051208 11/30/20 11:40 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I'm 54 years old and have not played for 34 years. I studied with Leonard Eisner for 4 years at Juilliard pre-college and then with Robert Goldsand at the Manhattan School of music for 2 years. I experienced a bout of depression beginning of my junior year and took a leave and then completely changed gears, finishing college pre-law at Rutgers and then law school. I could never quite put a finger on why I made that change other than my mental state at the time but regret it. I experienced on and off bouts with depression since then, which explains why I have not played since then. Now with much time to reflect I realize something is missing in my life and am considering starting to play again - and hoping it will be a form of therapy. Any general thoughts would be greatly appreciated as well as advice regarding getting back into the saddle. Thank you.

Re: back after 34 years
JerryLouis #3051215 11/30/20 11:54 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am sorry to hear about your struggles! I think you should just give it a try. Go into with very little expectations, and maybe in some ways, treat yourself like a beginner. Get a book of scales, a collection of easy music (consider something in the Music for Millions series? Err on the side of easier) and rather than say "I want to play [insert super famous and advanced piece here]" just enjoy the process. You may feel shock at first if it seems like you have forgotten how to play completely, but if you just play a little every day, it will come back. Just move your fingers on the keys, listen to the sounds, and ease back into having music-making a part of your life.

Wait! Do you have a piano available? If not, I recommend getting something nice but inexpensive, maybe consider a digital like something in the Yamaha Arius series (YDP 140, 160, 180 or whatever the recent model numbers are)

You also might visit PW's Adult Beginners Forum where you will find a lot of people who are returning to piano after years or decades away from it. Just repost what you've posted here and you'll find a lot of people who will sympathize and be excited to share in your journey.

Best of luck and do give updates as you get started!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JerryLouis #3051225 11/30/20 12:10 PM
Z
Z
my case is similar, I didn't Juilliard but I did a local conservatory. I never regret this decision and I always believe it was the right decision in that condition. I am much younger so I haven't played the piano for less years. I started again to play piano in the summer and after some weeks of practice, I am so surprised that I can play much much better than before.
I am sure you will find another feeling and relive some young memories.
here is the result after 4 months of practice with maximum 1h in the week days (not every day) and more hours in the weekends.

JerryLouis #3051303 11/30/20 02:26 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Very nice - wonderful playing. Yes, I have a piano.

JerryLouis #3051305 11/30/20 02:28 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JerryLouis
Yes, I have a piano.

Great, that's more than half the battle!

So, do you have specific concerns or questions about how to start?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JerryLouis #3051604 12/01/20 10:45 AM
Z
Z
Originally Posted by JerryLouis
Very nice - wonderful playing. Yes, I have a piano.
Thank you Jerry,

Just put here some more details how I have re-started the piano after I stopped play for more than 20 years:

-forget what I was and what I should be, just accept and face what I am. The sound could be terrible, the fingers could be completely out of control at the beginning, just accept it.
-I bought a second hand piano which is much below my budget, one of the reasons is that I was not confident that I can really re-start play.
-I have an important audience, who can tell me "this time is better";"you are not playing your music","I like this part","I really don't like it"...
-The first two weeks, I started with the pieces that I still know well. BACH invention, Rondo alla Turca, Mozart sonata n16 and some pieces of Debussy.
-The third week-fifth week, I started with Goldberg variations and Liszt-Paganini etude 6 Theme and Variations (the first 4 variations). almost 50%,50%. The Liszt etudes caused me some finger pains, but it improves the technic very fast. It is not recommended, maybe a Chopin etude would be better, but just to try something different.
-Once I had the feeling of "[censored]-off" by playing or listening, it means a big step forward.
-sixth week: I give up Liszt because I really don't like it. I am focused on Bach (80%) and other pieces such as Schubert impromptu 142 no 3.
-BACH is the key for this kind of exercise. I am sure everybody with a conservatory background can still remember some of them.
-Some days I won't play anything.
Good luck

JerryLouis #3051691 12/01/20 02:55 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome!

As an attorney who also came back to piano as a way to reduce the stress imposed on me in my daytime career (securities law), I found it was a very welcome escape.

I did not, however, enter into law after a conservatory-level music education. I quit earlier than you and while I am thrilled to be playing, quitting too early has been one of my life's major regrets.

JerryLouis #3051711 12/01/20 04:26 PM
M
M
Gosh, sorry I can't be much help since I'm in a similar situation rediscovering the piano, but I absolutely think that it will be a fantastic help therapeutically. There's nothing else like it. To me music is pure magic. I hope you too can find the release you need from getting back into music.

JerryLouis #3051725 12/01/20 05:05 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The one thing i have learnt over the years is that one should never regret his past choices. It only spoils the present. There are things i wanted to do which i have not be able to, but i dont regret it because i have done some others instead. What is important is that you can now play again and focis on your future enjoyment.

JerryLouis #3051998 12/02/20 11:20 AM
I’ve been playing 6 months now, after 40 yrs off.......and I don’t have your back ground, but....ENJOY!

JerryLouis #3052459 12/03/20 01:43 PM

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
I returned to piano in spring 2017, after a gap of more than 50 years. I had only taken lessons for a couple of years as a kid, when I got as far as the John Thompson Third Grade book. So, apart from still being able to read the treble clef, I had to re-learn everything from the start. I did feel that progress went more quickly than expected in my first year back; some of those neural tracks remained. I found a great teacher and upgraded from a digital to a better digital to an upright to, recently, a baby grand. It has all been a constantly interesting set of challenges and a joy. (Much more fun than law school, I can tell you!)

I could regret the gap, but life is life; there's no point, when instead I can bask in the pleasure of my new piano and finally getting my fingers wrapped around the ornaments in a Bach Little Prelude. Last night I sight-read some relatively simple but interesting arrangements based on Christmas carols, and my freshly tuned piano sounded so beautiful. It was bliss. I wish the same for you, JerryLouis.

"Serena," my Estonia L168.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Replacement for Kawai MP11?
by Dan Clark - 01/22/21 09:04 PM
How to sound like Scriabin
by pianoloverus - 01/22/21 08:10 PM
Most realistic Piano VST?
by Rickdiculous - 01/22/21 06:13 PM
An exemplary piano quiz
by Withindale - 01/22/21 05:57 PM
First DP -- PC Connectivity Question
by Mikex3 - 01/22/21 03:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,471
Posts3,050,310
Members100,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission