2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (AndrewJCW, Baltguy, Animisha, anotherscott, ambrozy, A. Lucato, Beemer, accordeur, 23 invisible), 709 guests, and 557 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hailun 218 vs Feurich 218
#3051101 11/30/20 03:03 AM
S
OP Online Content
S
I'm in the market for either a Hailun 218 or Feurich 218. I played both of these pianos recently. They have a beautiful sound at a huge cost advantage to a Yamaha. So unless one happens to prefer the particular "bright" sound of a Yamaha, they are a very attractive option. The Hailun and Feurich are the same price here in Australia. The Feurich could be considered a "rebranded" Hailun 218, coming as it does from the same factory and looking almost identical. However, there are some significant differences.

Feurich claim that they supervise the manufacture, providing quality control. The Feurich has different strings, different hammers and a different action. The music stand has gaps in it to let more of the sound reach the player. It also has a built-in LED light to illuminate the music stand, which gives it the unusual feature of being an acoustic piano with a dangling power cable to plug into the wall.

Finally, the Feurich has a solid spruce soundboard from Austria, while the Hailun has a laminated soundboard. My understanding is that laminated soundboards are no longer either cheaper or inferior to solid soundboards, and in fact offer some advantages. Each layer of the Hailun board has the grain running in a different direction. They claim this allows the board to vibrate in all directions (whereas a solid board vibrates only in the direction of the grain), allowing the sound to vibrate to all four corners of the soundboard, so the sound comes from all directions. In addition laminated soundboards are resistant to cracking.

There is a recording of the Hailun with good sound quality here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC38cpd34zQ

And a recording of the Feurich here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdj147NcjS0

It's hard to compare two pianos played in different room sizes in different locations, but I felt a bit like the Feurich had a more "pure" sound, while the Hailun had a "warmer" sound. I feel this difference seems to be borne out by the above two recordings.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these pianos?

Last edited by Sonepica; 11/30/20 03:07 AM.
Re: Hailun 218 vs Feurich 218
Sonepica #3051126 11/30/20 06:15 AM
T
T
it is true that on youtube videos, hailun seems to be warmer and mellower.
and I like warmer sound.

here is another good example:

however, this might be caused by different level of prep and voicing.

I am interested in these pianos too, too bad there is no Hailun here.
You have played both pianos,
which one do you prefer?
please tell me your opinion.

Sonepica #3051141 11/30/20 08:13 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I say buy the piano you enjoy most. I do not think you could do badly with either choice.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
Sonepica #3051151 11/30/20 09:18 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Finally, the Feurich has a solid spruce soundboard from Austria, while the Hailun has a laminated soundboard. My understanding is that laminated soundboards are no longer either cheaper or inferior to solid soundboards, and in fact offer some advantages. Each layer of the Hailun board has the grain running in a different direction. They claim this allows the board to vibrate in all directions (whereas a solid board vibrates only in the direction of the grain), allowing the sound to vibrate to all four corners of the soundboard, so the sound comes from all directions.

This I think is pretty complete rubbish and marketing puff. The purpose of a solid soundboard is trying to achieve a better tone, although many more factors contribute to that as well as the soundboard.

Just pick the piano that you yourself prefer, irrespective of how it actually achieves the tone it has.

Sonepica #3051160 11/30/20 09:50 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It also has a built-in LED light to illuminate the music stand

Wow, what an interesting idea! So, is the light a bar along the base of the music stand that points/shines upward to the music desk? I googled but couldn't really find an adequate photo (among other sites, I checked Feurich's but still couldn't tell).

As for comparing sounds, I don't envy you, this will be a difficult decision....

I love the sound in the Paul Barton video, but he's sponsored by Feurich so I would guess (??) that the audio in his videos is always professionally mastered.

And in the video you linked and the one linked above by Tirta, the Hailun also sounds beautiful, not better or worse IMO, just different.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
gwing #3051238 11/30/20 12:39 PM
S
OP Online Content
S
Originally Posted by gwing
Finally, the Feurich has a solid spruce soundboard from Austria, while the Hailun has a laminated soundboard. My understanding is that laminated soundboards are no longer either cheaper or inferior to solid soundboards, and in fact offer some advantages. Each layer of the Hailun board has the grain running in a different direction. They claim this allows the board to vibrate in all directions (whereas a solid board vibrates only in the direction of the grain), allowing the sound to vibrate to all four corners of the soundboard, so the sound comes from all directions.

This I think is pretty complete rubbish and marketing puff. The purpose of a solid soundboard is trying to achieve a better tone, although many more factors contribute to that as well as the soundboard.

Just pick the piano that you yourself prefer, irrespective of how it actually achieves the tone it has.

Actually, the marketing line is the solid spruce soundboards are superior. So what I'm suggesting is that this may not the true anymore. There is some info in the article below for example.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/the-benefits-of-laminated-soundboards/

ShiroKuro #3051239 11/30/20 12:41 PM
S
OP Online Content
S
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
It also has a built-in LED light to illuminate the music stand

Wow, what an interesting idea! So, is the light a bar along the base of the music stand that points/shines upward to the music desk? I googled but couldn't really find an adequate photo (among other sites, I checked Feurich's but still couldn't tell).

As for comparing sounds, I don't envy you, this will be a difficult decision....

I love the sound in the Paul Barton video, but he's sponsored by Feurich so I would guess (??) that the audio in his videos is always professionally mastered.

And in the video you linked and the one linked above by Tirta, the Hailun also sounds beautiful, not better or worse IMO, just different.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I think it was a bar in between the player and the stand, but I didn't look very closely.

Sonepica #3051244 11/30/20 12:50 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Actually, the marketing line is the solid spruce soundboards are superior. So what I'm suggesting is that this may not the true anymore. There is some info in the article below for example.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/the-benefits-of-laminated-soundboards/

What gwing is suggesting is that you're repeating marketing "fluff" regarding the laminated board (the "vibrates in all directions" stuff). In this particular example the possible advantage is more likely to be resistance to cracking, and possible cost savings for the manufacturer. If you read the linked article carefully, it shows how the different angles can hinder performance when layered at too great an angle. I believe when Fazioli has experimented with this design, they're layered at 0 degrees for best possible performance.

At the end of the day, I care more about the sound and touch of the finished piano than the technology that got us there.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
tirta #3051264 11/30/20 01:16 PM
S
OP Online Content
S
Originally Posted by tirta
it is true that on youtube videos, hailun seems to be warmer and mellower.
and I like warmer sound.

here is another good example:

however, this might be caused by different level of prep and voicing.

I am interested in these pianos too, too bad there is no Hailun here.
You have played both pianos,
which one do you prefer?
please tell me your opinion.

My suggestion that the Feurich has a slightly purer or more conventional sound is about as far as I can go. I felt I had more fun playing the Hailun, but there may be no reason for that. The Feurich was in a much larger room which may have reduced the amount of reflecting sound.

However, I noticed something unexpected about the sound and volume of both pianos. At the Hailun dealer, the smaller Hailun grands nearby seemed to have a more clear and direct (louder?) sound. I thought it might be because these pianos were up against a wall (the 218 was not). The dealer suggested it was because the hammers were closer to the player on the smaller grands. A large Schimmel concert grand there also had a clear and direct sound.

I felt this was even more true of the Feurich 218. But, it was also in a much larger room. At the Feurich dealer, a smaller Feurich grand near a wall also had a more clear and direct sound than the 218. In fact, it sounded very similar to a very expensive Bechstein in another part of the shop (not against a wall). Even a refurbished Yamaha C3 in the centre of the room seemed to have more "go" in it.

But I don't know whether this is simply a consequence of the mellower sound, or because more of the volume is directed away from the player. I have noticed in the past that upright pianos have a more "direct" sound than grands, for example. Someone I've corresponded with who owns the Hailun tells me it's the loudest piano he's ever owned. And anyway, people put a lot of effort into trying to deaden the sound of large grands for home use so it's not necessarily even a drawback.

Sonepica #3051281 11/30/20 01:50 PM
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
It seems the trend in “veneered” (formerly laminated) sound boards is increasing. I’m sure due to cost and availability of consistent spruce. One thing that upsets people is different colored boards. This is solved by covering the board with veneer. A real advantage of laminated sound boards is their dimensional stability. These things help with costs, manufacturing processes and lifespan.

But they don’t have an advantage in sound. My problem with modern laminates is not the same as my earlier aversion to plywood boards. The issue now is when using laminates it allows for the use of all sorts of garbage in between the covers. They are using wood of different widths and lengths inside. Think of a hardwood floor with random end seams. These can act as sound terminators preventing the smooth flow of sound waves traveling from end to end. When the resin joints are new it might not make much of a difference but over years as those internal joints loosen the drop outs will become apparent.

Given a choice, I still will go with solid wood over laminates every time. Just my personal opinions and observations.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Kawai ES110 Quality Control
by MusicMaster709 - 01/16/21 10:32 AM
Kawai ES920 Bug Report!
by Chummy - 01/16/21 09:36 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,292
Posts3,047,314
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission