2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Considering pianoteq 7 for my Casio gp400 (I put that in there not to invite Casio bashing, but because the perspective of other Casio gp owners about comparison between built-in tones and vst would be nice....). I play classical/romantic, early intermediate.

A few questions:
1. Pro seems to b offer minimal advantage over standard. Thoughts?
2. Tones- which should I get if just 3? I see a lot of posts saying that the Steinway d disappoints. Is that criticism valid for the 2020 version? (As noted, comparison to the tones I have could be useful if you own a casio). The Bluthner is a must. It's spaciousness is what's convincing me too make the jump.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Why not download the free trial version ?

That would help you with the answer to many of your questions.

All you will get here are opinions and arguments.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for your reply. I downloaded it. I would still like input. My ear is developing, so I just wanted to survey opinions..... If someone points something out I'll usually be able to hear it, but really uncertain.....

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Standard would be the one to buy if you decide on Pianoteq. You can always upgrade to Pro later when they have a sale if you think you will need it. Standard because of the morphing and layering that is only available on the standard and pro versions.

I agree with dmd about it all being opinions as I'm one of the folks that like the Steinway B model. I would put on your list the C. Bechstein model. smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A couple of subjective opinions of mine:

1. Buy Stage if you like tinkering with the settings a bit. Buy Standard if you like tinkering with the settings a lot. Buy Pro if you want to make tinkering with the settings your main activity in life.

2. All the acoustic pianos sound quite similar. There is not the same difference between one Pianoteq sound and another, that you would find between one sampled piano and another. That said, I still have my favourites (Grotrian, Bechstein DG, and Bluthner). I always disliked the Steinway D, but in the latest version it seems useful (and now there is the additional "D" from NY).

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Buy Pro if you want to make tinkering with the settings your main activity in life.

I got a chuckle out of this one smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Really
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Buy Pro if you want to make tinkering with the settings your main activity in life.

Me too. I don't think Pro is really necessary unless you are the audio engineer wink

With version 7 standard is nice to have IMHO.

E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Gombessa

+1

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I bought the PRO last year because it was within my budget and the BF price of it was just a little above the regular Standard version.

About the choice, I second what others answered above. Even if you are not experienced, your ears are the best judges. I asked the same question last year and, though I acknowledged then (and still do) it is a matter of taste, reading other's opinions helped me to select the four models that suited me most:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2911287/your-favorite-pianoteq-piano.html

I hope this helps

Last edited by EVC2017; 11/29/20 03:08 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Standard is nmuch better than stage; might not've been so previously, but with version 7, it's a must imo. You'll find plenty of nice sounds without having to alter stuff, but every electronic piano will be different, so some compensation might be needed but probably not much on the quality instrument you have.
When you go down this path, be aware that you will be playing less music as a result.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
@EVC2017 Your thread is like all the PT threads. It is so subjective what we as individuals like smile

Still want to get another instrument or two tonight at the sale price. Still trying to decide myself which to add. Petrof is winning the battle to my ears.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
EPW, I totally agree. My point, if it was not clear above, is that some of the answers of that thread made me review my wish list and pick what turned out to be my favorite PTeq model (Bechstein), which I had discarded at first.

Reading others opinions could help one to look at the matter from a different point of view. That is the only reason I linked to that thread.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I found the Bechstein and Grotrian most satisfying. I haven't played the Version 7 Steinway D enough to evaluate it; in v5 and v6, it didn't move me. V7 "D" has several favorable comments here.

I agree with:

. . . "Download the demo, see what you like best, buy those."

I use Stage; I am easily distracted by screenfuls of options. Even in Stage, you have a good set of reverb/delay and EQ controls.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

I started using Pianoteq because the decay time of my PX-350 piano sounds was _way_ too short, and my pedalling technique was distorted to compensate.

. . .Any of the Pianoteq instruments solves that problem --
. . . their decay time is comparable to acoustic pianos I've played.

I don't know whether the GP400 has the same "short decay" samples. If it does, then whatever Pianoteq models you get, they'll be a vast improvement.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I have to add that I found K2 to have its merits now and before I was just like it is okay. I think over time our taste change and it is nice to have the variety instrument add-ons in Pianoteq smile

F
F
Get at least Standard, but get Pro if you can. The note-per-note tinkering allows you to do what no sampled grand player has ever done: change those three or four notes you’ve been dying to.
It’s pretty miraculous.
As for the sound packs, I’ve got Studio and would suggest the Electric Pianos (as those are the best Rhodes and Wurly models around), the Steinway D (for the many presets and now that sweet NY grand) and the Blüthner (for that incredibly subdued mid range). If you go Pro, add the C. Bechstein (as it’s a model of Bechstein’s own Digital Grand) or the Steingraeber (with its Mozart rail).

Originally Posted by EPW
@EVC2017 Your thread is like all the PT threads. It is so subjective what we as individuals like smile

Still want to get another instrument or two tonight at the sale price. Still trying to decide myself which to add. Petrof is winning the battle to my ears.

Petrof's my current favourite; needs the balance adjusting for my tase so if you have Standard, I'd say go for it.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
F
F
I would advise you to get the demo version and check out the different models. They are quite distinct in their sound, but in my opinion not so distinct that you need all of them. I would consider something like this:
- A large, bright concert grand like the Steinway D, Bechstein, Petrof etc.
- A more mellow concert grand like the Grotrian or a studio grand like the Steinway B
- And something different: The U4 for example or the electric pianos

I started off with the Bechstein, Steinway B and the electric pianos. I then added the U4 and now on BF the Steinway D. I decided against getting more because for the the difference in sound isn't worth it. I'd rather have less and know them inside out.

D
D
I have the GP-310. Casio "improved" the sustain by looping 🤦🏻‍♂️😂, so the built-in samples do not bear comparison to the new "double polarization" models in PTQ7. The sympathetic resonance is much more complex, especially in high polyphony. I have heard highly variable quality of the top register though, so custom settings come into it.

How about for back and forth convenience when practising, Model D to match the "Hamburg", and C. Bechstein DG to match "Berlin"?

Casio GP-310
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by dr_z
I have the GP-310. Casio "improved" the sustain by looping 🤦🏻‍♂️😂, so the built-in samples do not bear comparison to the new "double polarization" models in PTQ7. The sympathetic resonance is much more complex, especially in high polyphony. I have heard highly variable quality of the top register though, so custom settings come into it.

How about for back and forth convenience when practising, Model D to match the "Hamburg", and C. Bechstein DG to match "Berlin"?

Do you use a VST?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission