2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
107 members (AndrewJCW, Animisha, anotherscott, anotherpianoplayer, ambrozy, Abdol, akc42, Anglagard44, 8ude, 25 invisible), 657 guests, and 584 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
The Search Continues--thoughts on Round Three?
#3051069 11/29/20 11:15 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
Hi Everyone

I'm still looking--been having a fascinating experience overall and have found some pleasant surprises and surprising disappointments in the process. Here's where things stand:

The original goal was to get a small used grand for my home as a "work" piano; not perfect, but at least sounding good and enjoyable to play. Space limitations are an issue, as I don't have a whole lot of room for a grand piano, but as a composer I used the case of the grand to spread out my manuscript paper (and writing at home on an upright as been a frustrating experience in recent years). SO....

The original candidates were a Baldwin M (1978), a Chickering Quarter Grand (1968), and a Knabe 5'8" (1927).

The Baldwin and Chickering are out (too many lingering problems with each for the price), but the Knabe is still in the mix as a possibility. The dealer is restringing it and replacing all the hammers and regularing/repairing the action, which is actually in pretty good shape overall. Final price would be in the neighborhood of $5-6K for a 5'8" Knabe grand with new strings and mostly new or repaired guts (including Abel hammers). If it played well, I'd be all-in, as the sound of that instrument is super appealing.

More recent options are as follows:

A 1972 Yamaha G1. Needs new bass strings, but otherwise in really good shape. $4500

A 10-year old Weber WG50, from right before the W150 came out. I haven't played it yet, but from the pics it looks pristine. I'm not expecting much, however, as I haven't generally liked Young Changs in the past, but.... every piano is different, so maybe this one will surprise me? Owner is asking $3K. What's the consensus re Weber 5' grand?

A brand new Hailun 151 for not much more than the used pianos I've been considering. It's still more than I'd wanted to spend, and I'm nervous about the idea of plunking down cash on an as-yet-untested piano maker, but it plays beautifully and sound warm and "open," if not particularly complex. I'm curious about this one... Any thoughts about Hailun?

In recent weeks, I've played the new Baldwins (no personality, but seemingly well-built and easy to play), and a new Kawai GL10 (really disappointed in this piano--especially since I have a Kawai upright that I adore, and had a GE-30 for many years that I really enjoyed playing). I don't have any other new piano options near me that are even remotely in my price range, so if I went with new, it would have to be Hailun right now.

Thoughts? Who's got some opinions about any of these pianos? Is a $3K Weber a better option than a brand new Hailun of the same size? Is a G1 for $5K that needs new bass strings a good choice or one to run away from and keep looking? Maybe that Knabe is my best option overall and I should just cool my jets and wait for them to finish the work?

Re: The Search Continues--thoughts on Round Three?
jmiley97302 #3051086 11/30/20 12:53 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Remind us of your expectations and anticipated usage. Are you locked in to only small grands? What’s your budget?

For the Knabe, I’d expect to pay that asking price just for the work alone, which makes me wonder what sort of shape the rest of the piano is in. Resale value might be poor.

The G1 is a decent small piano, but getting up in years. I’d wait to hear the finished result and hopefully they’ll be able to put it on a key banger and tune it multiple times, so the tuning of the new strings stabilize. Would advise a tech inspection on both these pianos, as depending on location and environment they could be getting tired.

The W150 is a better design than the WG50, having played both. But they’re very low cost pianos that could benefit from additional prep work to perform as well as they can. Its performance is also limited somewhat by the size.

I think that Hailun is not an “untested” maker, and their product offerings seem to be at a fairly landed quality level for the last decade. They typically compete as new pianos against used Japanese pianos at similar prices. The 151 is okay, but I feel the 161 and 178 are significant steps up, respectively, in terms of performance. This piano is probably the safest option of the list.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
terminaldegree #3051102 11/30/20 03:10 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
Thanks, terminaldegree -- this is super helpful info. I do have some space issues, but could go as large as 5'10" if I get creative with where things go in the room and worry less about ergonomics with regard to movement from the piano to my work desk. For the right piano, that would be worth it, though. Even so, a grand under 5'5" would fit much better in the room, so if I could find a good smaller instrument in my meager budget, I'd probably be happier in the long run.

That's really good to hear about the Hailun & reliability. I'm definitely intrigued by those pianos, but it's hard to find information (even here on pianoworld) that isn't from a dealer. It'd be great to find an unbiased review of that whole line. So even though I didn't want to spend that much this time around, I'm seriously considering it because 1) they really do play exceptionally well for the price, and 2) the price is not much more than my used range.

The Knabe is listed at $2K as is, and the work they intend to do is a complete restringing plus replacing hammers, with some adjustments to the action as necessary, but not a full rebuild. Action actually felt pretty good, but the hammers are clearly shot and the strings are at the end of their musical life, as well. IF the hammers and restringing were enough to bring that instrument back to life, it would be a great fit. But as you mention, I don't think I'd get my $$ back in resale if I chose to upgrade in a few years. People seem to like pianos that have pristine finishes, and this one is definitely NOT that. Ha!

jmiley97302 #3051115 11/30/20 04:55 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I don't really kepp up with piano models well enough to give you advice myself, but there have been a number of discussions of Hailun here on PW. Try doing a search. Or perhaps better, do a search using Google - type this:

hailun site:forum.pianoworld.com

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Online lessons suggestion/recommend
ations/experiences?

by Javaslinger - 01/26/21 01:32 PM
What’s the best Fender Rhodes VST?
by RinTin - 01/26/21 01:09 PM
mp7es recording
by Colette2 - 01/26/21 01:00 PM
Log Sheets to Track Scale & Arpeggio Practice
by Talão - 01/26/21 12:21 PM
Fanny Hensel Sonata in G minor
by Ainar - 01/26/21 12:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,571
Posts3,051,806
Members100,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission