2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
104 members (anotherscott, AndrewJCW, ambrozy, Beemer, Abdol, Animisha, anotherpianoplayer, akc42, 23 invisible), 622 guests, and 588 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
My Yamaha P-515 Review / Impressions
#3051048 11/29/20 09:48 PM
Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone.

I bought a new Yamaha P-515 a week ago, and I figured I'd write about my impressions of it so far as that might help people here who are contemplating about looking into it. My background is 20 years of playing an acoustic piano and a formal piano teacher for 2 years. I am not affiliated with any dealer or music company. I won't be going in details over all the technical features rather I'd only state matters I'd take into consideration as a customer personally.

Sound

Acoustic piano sound is absolutely great and very detailed, with nuances such as string/damper resonance and key-off sample contributing to a wholesome and overall very impressive piano experience (Compared to Keyscape VST, it's way better). You're getting 2 Acoustic grand piano samples, Yamaha made (CFX and Bosendorfer). There are a few other AP sound presets which are variations derived from the CFX sample set. They are mixed and EQed differently in mind to suit more specific musical niches such as solo ballad performance , bright pop/rock or jazz comping.
The CFX sounds are my favorite and they sound powerful. Bosendorfer is lovely though as it is so unique in the DP soundscape and is very good for romantic era music and intimate, emotional melodies.
There's also a bonus upright 'Honky Tonk' sound for Ragtime/Boogie/Blues etc. Do note you only get samples of Yamaha made pianos as is the case with Kawai - not as versatile as Korg / Nord which feature samples of European made pianos as well as Japanese but I'd say you can get everything else with VSTs anyway and the board has USB audio interface which I use with Keyscape and Cubase for additional sounds.

built in EP sounds are very nice. Other sounds are OK, definitely usable for live but I wouldn't use them for music production at all. You can have a lot of fun with the additional XG sounds (MIDI soundset similar to Roland soundcanvas) layering different Mallets and Marimbas, or messing with the synth brass but those shouldn't be used for a high profile gig and definitely not for music production unless as an artistic statement. You can both split and layer at the same times on the 515 which is a plus for many people and overall a useful feature. Piano room allows lid adjustment and several other parameter adjustments though honestly not sure why you would ever want a closed lid on a real grand.

Hardware and build quality

Very well built instrument. Fingerprint resistant for the most part which is a huge plus for me. The music rest is beautiful and very wide, in fact I don't remember anything wider on a single DP when working a few years ago at a piano store. Keyboard is HEAVY at 22 KG but manageable. If you gig daily - not the board for you. Occasionally it is most definitely portable and the speakers are surprisingly full sounding and can be used as self monitor on stage. Ideal for taking it to the local pub, club, friends' houses, jam sessions, small gigs, band rehearsals and classrooms. If you gig frequently in venues with pro grade sound reinforcement system this board is not for you as the speakers are useless as an extra weight and you'd want the extra performance features such as control over effects, multiple keyboard zones, preset recall , more sound variety and XLR outputs.

Keyboard feel/action

I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. Full wooden white keys with plastic textured black keys are solid with no bounce and pretty quiet. Triple sensors cause VERY responsive trills, coming from Montage 8 which was sluggish as all heck. Overall feel is heavier then every upright piano I ever played, including Yamaha's own U1/U3 which are considered very light and to me a bit too light. Kawai's uprights tend to be heavier than Yamaha's but still not as heavy as this. I'd say the 515 is going for more of a "grand piano" imitation but I've even played lighter feel grand pianos although the 515 has not the heaviest action around, for sure. In fact, only the initial force required to initiate key stroke is heavy as if you gently advance the key even a mere 1 mm, the rest of the way down is surprisingly effortless. The action is very responsive though and functions well with the built it sounds. I personally wish the initial force required for triggering down stroke was a few grams lighter hence the 4.5 out of 5. The only DP I recall playing that I'd give a better score is the Kawai MP-11. I do remember messing with an ES-8 at the same store I worked at and while I did like it I find the Yamaha superior.

Overall:

-You should check out this keyboard for yourself anyway. Different strokes for different folks. At this price point you're not getting anything terrible or unreliable from the competition either.
- Do note that you get a pedal with the keyboard that does NOT support half pedaling which is quite a shame since the keyboard itself does support it. So if you want half pedaling you need to buy another pedal.
- I use it with a Z stand (Roland ks-18z) which is IMO the best type of stand - stable as all heck, keyboard doesn't move/rattle. Lots of leg room and easily collapsible can be carried in small bag in your trunk.
- The keyboard won't fit in most cars in fact I've got a small KIA Picanto. what I do is I pull the front sit forward while resting the keyboard vertically in the back of the car behind it at a nice angle supported by the car's roof and floor. I bought a fitting soft case that is an exact fit and works well.
- Edit: I would also NOT recommend it to a small child who's it is his/her first time piano experience. For that a lighter action keyboard/upright piano is recommended, and shouldn't dish out much $ at first too.

If it's between the MP-11 and the P-515 for you take note that carrying the MP-11 yourself is nearly impossible (maybe unless you're Arnold) nor getting it to fit in most cars at all. Together with the need for external amp it means that unless you're gigging in high profile venues (with good PAs) and has access to a road crew your MP-11 would be a HOME instrument. So in my personal opinion, the cheaper and more portable solution would be a combo of an actual acoustic piano that stays home permanently and a P-515 for night hours, times when you can't access the acoustic or for taking to play out on occasion.

Best regards

Last edited by Chummy; 11/29/20 09:57 PM.

Yo! I'm arranging sheet music for popular songs and soundtracks here
Consider checking out my YouTube
Feel free to PM me about sheet requests or anything <3

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: My Yamaha P-515 Review / Impressions
Chummy #3051051 11/29/20 09:56 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Nice review thanks. I'm kind of gobsmacked that the included pedal doesn't do half pedal. The FC3A, which supports it is literally $7 USD more expensive. Seriously Yamaha?

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Chummy #3051105 11/30/20 03:44 AM
C
C
Detailed review chummy. If not gigging and only listening via headphones, which one of these instruments would you choose? I am in the same dilemma choosing between the mp11se, p515 and es920.

Chummy #3051121 11/30/20 05:38 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I’ll make it easy for you, Cutec, play the P-515 (if you have access), and the others you mention will suddenly not seem so great.

Even the tiny speakers on the P-515 will blow you away in terms of overall quality.

The overall sound through speakers is awesome (it feels like the sound is coming from a much larger instrument), the action connects perfectly with the sound engine (staccatos and legatos seamlessly coexist alongside ppp and fff). The piano also sounds good through headphones (some love binaural; I can’t really tell the difference but still it’s okay).

The keys are substantial but not heavy (for me), and allow for anything your fingers are capable of.

It is one of the best boards Yamaha has ever released!

Chummy #3051130 11/30/20 06:34 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@Chummy: nice review. You mentioned you played with an ES8 too and you said you consider the NWX action of the P515 better than Kawai RHIII, but what about the feeling of the 2 main piano sounds and how they are connected to the action? ("CFX/Bosendorfer on the NHX action" VS "SK-EX/EX on the RHIII action").
Do you like more the Yamaha main piano sound timbres too, compared to the Kawai ones?
Did you try some Roland DPs too?

Chummy #3051131 11/30/20 06:46 AM
_
_
A nice review.

Originally Posted by Chummy
... In fact, only the initial force required to initiate key stroke is heavy as if you gently advance the key even a mere 1 mm, the rest of the way down is surprisingly effortless. ...

Do you actually prefer this kind of response, or you just don't mind? I don't recall the U1 and U1X feeling like this.

_sem_ #3051154 11/30/20 09:32 AM
M
Online Content
M
Originally Posted by _sem_
A nice review.

... In fact, only the initial force required to initiate key stroke is heavy as if you gently advance the key even a mere 1 mm, the rest of the way down is surprisingly effortless. ...

Do you actually prefer this kind of response, or you just don't mind? I don't recall the U1 and U1X feeling like this.

I was able to try a U1 in store this weekend. Completly different action than the P515. It is not even close. The initial force requiered to initiate a key on the U1 is ridiculously small compared to the P515. The P515 is still nice to play. But in no way is it as effortless as an U1. The U1 was almost too light to my taste. But I've been used to the P515 and it is my reference action. In the short period I had with the U1, I would definitly say it is a much superior action and I would go for such an action if I had the choice.

Last edited by mareg; 11/30/20 09:33 AM.

Yamaha P-515
Chrispy #3051157 11/30/20 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I'm kind of gobsmacked that the included pedal doesn't do half pedal. The FC3A, which supports it is literally $7 USD more expensive. Seriously Yamaha?

What's even more gobsmacking, is that Yamaha includes the FC3A with the CP88, a stage piano, where half-damping is not really. needed. It should have been the other way around. I fail to see the logic, Yamaha...

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai MP11SE, Kawai CA58
Chummy #3051158 11/30/20 09:47 AM
D
D
If it's between the MP-11 and the P-515 for you take note that carrying the MP-11 yourself is nearly impossible (maybe unless you're Arnold) nor getting it to fit in most cars at all. Together with the need for external amp it means that unless you're gigging in high profile venues (with good PAs) and has access to a road crew your MP-11 would be a HOME instrument.

I disagree with that, I've done more than 70 gigs with my Mp11, moving it alone + stand, PA etc... and I'm not Schwarzy !
Also, the Mp11 fits in a small city car (4.00 m long), you only have to fold the back seats.

Chummy #3051162 11/30/20 09:52 AM
B
B
Glad you enjoy your new 515. To each his own though. I sold my 515 (it is very popular, it sold in less than an hour on Craig's List) because I couldn't handle the action. Other than that it is a very solid digital.

Chummy #3051175 11/30/20 10:23 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Before I bought my 515 I tried it against the CA58. The 59 wasn't out then a year ago. I liked both; the Kawai had a more progressive action but the Yamaha just felt different. Now, I know the difference between the acoustic actions on the less expensive uprights of those two makers; indeed there was a basic grand from each also in the showroom. The Kawai was better all round, action and sound.
But the digitals aren't the same although the difference is slight. Once you're playing you forget even about evaluating the action; you just get immersed in the totallity.
The sound is where the difference lies between the acouctic and the digital and it affects the action too.
The digital is more progressive and easier to control. But it comes with a price.
The acoustic will hit one in the face from the onset. Some of us rather like that, but a gentle sound is more difficult to achieve, for me at least.
As such, the tone is affected. The sound is more strident on the acoustic from the outset and unless you achieve that on your digital, it can never feel like an acoustic to play.
Pianoteq or some other VST will achieve this for you and allow that extra degree of realism for your fingers, too. But would your ears be happy?

I do go on a bit. Sorry . . . . grin

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Chummy #3051194 11/30/20 11:08 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Haven't finished yet.
The triple pedals one mught buy for this are hardly better than the single provided which doesn't do half pedalling. But it looks a whole lot better.
Done!.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Chummy #3051337 11/30/20 04:04 PM
S
S
I concur - it’s a great portable piano - with basically identical electronics and action to the previous generation Clavinovas. Love the CFX & Bosendorfer samples.

But here’s my list of pet peeves - after 1 year of ownership:

1) Key action is heavy, especially towards the fallboard.

2) Supplementary sounds are just budget filler with clearly audible sample loops.

3) No performance memories, just per voice memory, eg. so if you want to store different reverb, EQ, split, resonance, or layer setups for the CFX piano - you need to build each from scratch every time.

4) Reverb has fizzy digital sound if you turn it up too high.

5) Keys have slightly sharp underside corners which sometimes catch your thumb.

6) On board sequencer is slow and fiddly compared to previous iterations.

7) Black shiny plastic buttons are inferior to coloured rubberised buttons on previous iterations.

8) PWM flicker from blue LED button illumination is distracting when playing in a dim environment.

9) You have to hold-down the on/off button for 2 seconds before it works (it’s a feature apparently - a very annoying one).

Would still recommend to anyone looking for a great sounding slab piano.

Chummy #3051438 11/30/20 08:54 PM
L
L
Hello, I also bought a P515, and have a question about the, or a pedal unit. I didn’t buy the official stand, because I’d rather have a z stand. Since the official pedal system screws into the official stand, I can’t use the pedal system.

Can I plug any other triple pedal unit into the piano? Is there a reccomdmed one?

Thanks

Chummy #3051521 12/01/20 06:11 AM
Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
Guys I have an important update! You should definitely read this before purchasing!

I just got back from the store I bought it from and I returned the P-515 to get a full refund.
It wasn't obvious when I tested it in the store as music stores tend to be especially loud but the P-515 has a big flaw with its speakers.
The left speaker produces an annoying buzz in the frequency of middle G but the F#, G# and sometimes A around it tend to be affected. This happens with most piano sounds, the EP sound and several others but does not occur when playing the string patch for example. As it is a stereo instrument, the left speaker provides more frequencies than the right one and it appears that buzz is coming from inside the grill - and is definitely not as a result of bad acoustic on my part (I even moved the DP between 3 different rooms).
In fact, when I came back to the store and showed it to the employees, there was a white P-515 as well. Both the white and my black model displayed the SAME fault.
The buzz is most noticeable when the speakers are at max but even over half way you could definitely hear it. When the volume slider is under 50% or when using headphones this does not occur. Even at max volume though, none of the other notes are affected and sound is very pleasing. This issue is highly annoying as any chord or passage played using said notes will result in a headache.

What a shame! other than that the keyboard was nearly perfect. But oh boy this is a big one and a huge deal breaker. Now that I'm smarter I revert my opinion! in fact, I no longer believe a DP with on board speaker is recommended and external speakers are always better, as the more "all in one" solution a keyboard is the more mechanical parts are in it which means higher likelihood of something going wrong or not being right in the first place. I would probably use a combo of a DP w/o speakers and an outboard amp when taking the thing out - although that being said I am now without a keyboard.

As for the other questions by you guys, Kawai samples are great from what I remember (it's been quite a while though since I played one) and as a matter of fact I only enjoy piano sounds from these brands: Yamaha, Kawai and Nord - with Nords having a very bad keyboard action as I did gig with a friend's Nord Stage 3 and found the action very bad and overpriced overall.

As for the U1 I teach on a U3 and played a U1 plenty of times as this is probably the most popular upright and is found anywhere, every music department in any university or conservatory / music school has it... action is VERY light... too light for an advanced/professional ( I think I did mentioned something about this in my OP) . Therefore, It's a great AP for beginners and even myself wouldn't mind playing it though not owning one myself as I prefer heavier action and better sound.

Chummy #3051524 12/01/20 06:26 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
This “buzz” you talk about is unique to that -malfunctioning- unit. My P-515 has never buzzed!

Chummy #3051539 12/01/20 07:31 AM
_
_
...the P-515 has a big flaw with its speakers.
The left speaker produces an annoying buzz in the frequency of middle G but the F#, G# and sometimes A around it tend to be affected. This happens with most piano sounds, the EP sound and several others but does not occur when playing the string patch for example. As it is a stereo instrument, the left speaker provides more frequencies than the right one and it appears that buzz is coming from inside the grill - and is definitely not as a result of bad acoustic on my part (I even moved the DP between 3 different rooms). ...
I'm afraid bad batches of speakers were reported with other DPs too, lately the ES920. Moving from entry DPs to slabs in the P515 range, the built-in speakers progress from crap to mediocre. In such range of speakers it is totally expected to see high resonance peaks and dips. With general music sources they are not noticed as easily as with a DP or a signal generator. I wouldn't be surprised to hear similar effects with many budget external speakers. So speaker-less DPs are not necessarily a solution, and built-in speakers probably contribute less than 2kg to the weight.

... with Nords having a very bad keyboard action as I did gig with a friend's Nord Stage 3 and found the action very bad and overpriced overall.
The recent Nord Stage has three Fatar keyboard flavours, only the 88-key is a weighted hammer action. Only Nord Grand has a modified Kawai RHIII action. I guess they are popular for the voices and effects and direct controls by stage performers.

...As for the U1 I teach on a U3 and played a U1 plenty of times as this is probably the most popular upright and is found anywhere, every music department in any university or conservatory / music school has it... action is VERY light...
I wasn't referring to the lightness/heaviness, rather to the distribution of the force.
I don't think the P515 is so heavy overall - it is heavy initially but then soon gets awkwardly soft.
I recall budget Yamaha B AUs feel similar. But the U1 doesn't have this "crust".
And for instance Roland entry PHA4 models start out soft, but feel quite heavy overall.

Pete14 #3051585 12/01/20 09:55 AM
Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pete14
This “buzz” you talk about is unique to that -malfunctioning- unit. My P-515 has never buzzed!

you're incorrect. The shop had received another new unit which I compared to side by side and it had the same issue.
Could be what sem said in a post above that the whole production from that same period only is affected, but I'm not willing to take that chance
Plus there's only one store that sells Yamaha and I'm not going to deal with them again after this experience nor they would deal with me in the future due to returning their faulty product.

@sem Nord stage is and overpriced and overrated keyboard. You know you can get the action of the Nord grand in a Kawai instrument for way less money so why bother
about the Yamaha I agree the distribution of force is quite unique and is more similar to a grand piano, definitely incomparable with an upright but still it's hard to compare DP action to AP cause unless it's some kind of a hybrid piano no DP action is like an acoustic.

@magic piano

yeah I tried Roland but I'm one of those guys who's modeling isn't for me. Just sounds very engineered and artificial and I can really tell full sampling vs. Modeling I just like sampling more. This is coming from a one Roland guy I owned a few of their keyboards with SuperNatural engine etc. It was OK but just OK.

Chummy #3051586 12/01/20 09:56 AM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Can't you just return the P515 to the store to be sent out for a warranty repair instead of returning it for a full refund? Considering that all available units at the store are defective the same way (due to a bad batch of speakers perhaps), so swapping it out for a functioning unit is not an option, why not just send it in for repair if you like it enough to keep it as long as Yamaha fixes the problem for you?

Chummy #3051593 12/01/20 10:09 AM
M
Online Content
M
I also have buzzing around middle E if I remember correctly. But I didn't think it was a defect. I've lean to live with it. It's like the key is vibrating on those particular notes for some reasons.

Yamaha P-515
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Online lessons suggestion/recommend
ations/experiences?

by Javaslinger - 01/26/21 01:32 PM
What’s the best Fender Rhodes VST?
by RinTin - 01/26/21 01:09 PM
mp7es recording
by Colette2 - 01/26/21 01:00 PM
Log Sheets to Track Scale & Arpeggio Practice
by Talão - 01/26/21 12:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,571
Posts3,051,806
Members100,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission