2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (accordeur, AndyOnThePiano, Beemer, Anjru, ambrozy, AndrewJCW, 18 invisible), 985 guests, and 509 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hybrid piano too loud for my neighbor :(
LGabrielPhoto #3050468 11/28/20 12:09 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by LGabrielPhoto
We all choose how to live. I choose to respect others as I want to be respected.

You assume that musicians who practice in their own apartments don’t respect their neighbors; I think you’re wrong. My neighbors downstairs were a vocal/guitar duo. I tolerated their practice sessions and they tolerated mine.

I tolerated all kinds of noise from my neighbors and they tolerated my noise. People are not mice.

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
LGabrielPhoto #3050470 11/28/20 12:15 PM
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
We all choose how to live. I choose to respect others as I want to be respected.

Isn't that the entire point of this very thread? How to make your hybrid piano quieter, so that you respect others. Nobody said the opposite.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
LarryK #3050471 11/28/20 12:17 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK

You assume that musicians who practice in their own apartments don’t respect their neighbors; I think you’re wrong. My neighbors downstairs were a vocal/guitar duo. I tolerated their practice sessions and they tolerated mine.

I tolerated all kinds of noise from my neighbors and they tolerated my noise. People are not mice.
You assume to know what I am "assuming". There is no point in going on about this. As I said, we choose how to live and to treat others around us. My "dreams" cannot come at the expense of affecting someone else's privacy, peace of mind, whatever you want to call it. Thus I treat others the way I like to be treated. You, of course, can choose your own path.
I am out of this argument.

Kawai CA79 Rosewood
*Young Chang Y185 6'-1" (gone)
*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)
*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
kiwibd #3050474 11/28/20 12:24 PM
500 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
500 Post Club Member
I had lived for years beside a mentally ill neighbor who also happened to be quite an accomplished player. She very often played on her acoustic upright at 2am but it didn't disturb our sleep so we were very relaxed about it.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
kiwibd #3050606 11/28/20 06:29 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Gone are the days when every family home had an upright, parked up against the neighbour's adjoining wall. I practised, the nieghbour's son then practised. Poor little bugger had no choice. He must've hated me. I thumped him once ot twice when he got uppity, as you do.
I'd hazard a guess and say "New Yorkers are like no other . . . ." very much wanting to visit that marvellous, enigmatic place. There must be some tremendous night life there, something for everybody. THE place to get drunk in. With a little help from your friends.
Sorry I digressed somewhat. It was fun.

Last edited by peterws; 11/28/20 06:29 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #3050616 11/28/20 06:44 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by peterws
Gone are the days when every family home had an upright, parked up against the neighbour's adjoining wall. I practised, the nieghbour's son then practised. Poor little bugger had no choice. He must've hated me. I thumped him once ot twice when he got uppity, as you do.
I'd hazard a guess and say "New Yorkers are like no other . . . ." very much wanting to visit that marvellous, enigmatic place. There must be some tremendous night life there, something for everybody. THE place to get drunk in. With a little help from your friends.
Sorry I digressed somewhat. It was fun.

Given the noise I endured in New York, here is an abridged list: screaming drunks and prostitutes at 2am, fights, commercial garbage trucks picking up all night, winching on those little dumpsters which they would slam against the back of the truck, illegal jackhammering at 4am, car horns and alarms, helicopters, airplanes, never-ending traffic noise, and more, the opportunity to hear someone practice the piano does not register any annoyance with me, and I think most New Yorkers feel the same way. To live in New York is to put up with an incessant din that is hard to describe.

My piano teacher, a Russian, said her downstairs neighbors would call up and ask if she was ok if a day went by when they did not hear her Steinway. They would say, are you sick? Should we bring up food? The building was full of Russians. I think if you survived Communist Russia, a little piano practice from your neighbor did not bother you. The Russians got used to communal living and so they dealt with far worse.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/28/20 06:49 PM.
peterws #3050667 11/28/20 09:28 PM
D
D
Why do people buy such stuff when they live in appartments? The repercussioons from angry neighbours could be life threatening or changing. People will do absolutely anything to get a bit of peace!

He bought a digital piano instead of an acoustic because he lives in an apartment. What more could he have done ?

kiwibd #3050701 11/28/20 11:45 PM
D
D
I concur with the sorbothane discs idea. Exceptionally efficient at converting vibrations into heat, it is also cheap and cheerful. I first discovered this material when trying to stabilise loudspeakers (hi-fi hobbyists like myself used to go for expensive, and yet useless "cones"😂). Since then I would use these for mechanical instruments, tumble dryers etc.

On the N1 I suspect the vibrations are going through the back panel? In which case the discs should work better without being compressed by load bearing. Otherwise one would need very thick discs to compensate.

Last edited by dr_z; 11/28/20 11:51 PM.

Current: Casio GP-310 / Albéniz:España
Ex: Yamaha HS-4(!!)
kiwibd #3050749 11/29/20 05:19 AM
J
J
When I was learning the piano as a child, we lived in a semi-detached house and our elderly neighbours said they used to turn off their radio or TV to listen to me practicing!

I now live in a small block of four maisonettes built in the 1960's - the lease states that a piano can be played up until 10pm.

I've had a digital piano for 20 years and played with headphones since my adjacent neighbour said he could hear it through the connecting wall. I started playing it much more in the last year - still only using headphones, and only then did my neighbour below me say she could hear the thumping of the keys over the sound of her TV so I started researching for solutions.

As already mentioned, Sorborthane was the answer. I bought eight 50mm hemispheres which solved the problem.

Also as part of my research I started looking to upgrade my old Korg digital and ended up buying myself a nice new Kawai CA79! smile

John

Last edited by John62; 11/29/20 05:20 AM.

Kawai CA79
kiwibd #3050761 11/29/20 06:46 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I had rented a silent U1 in my last apartment but my wife said she was bothered more by the thumping than the music, and so I switched to playing out loud.

My neighbor in the next apartment building was incredible talented and would play her grand for hours at a time, every day, but never before 9am or after 9pm. I enjoyed hearing her play.

My guitar teacher from a few blocks down is married to a singer. She tried hard to cover up her singing only to discover that the old lady next door was religious and liked hearing the hallelujahs.

I once looked at a noise complaint map of my neighborhood. My street was an oasis of calm, with one or two purple dots. A few streets to the east, the map was a sea of purple dots, indicating complaints for loud party music, mainly Latin dance music. One of the buildings had been labeled the loudest building in the city, with over 400 complaints in a year.

I’ll take a few hours of piano plinking every day, during the day, over amplified party music all day and all night, all the time.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/29/20 06:53 AM.
Drthotho #3050781 11/29/20 08:14 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by Drthotho
Why do people buy such stuff when they live in appartments? The repercussioons from angry neighbours could be life threatening or changing. People will do absolutely anything to get a bit of peace!

He bought a digital piano instead of an acoustic because he lives in an apartment. What more could he have done ?

exactly, and imagine a violin player. The so called "silent violins" are as loud AF.

pold #3050811 11/29/20 09:35 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by pold
Originally Posted by Drthotho

exactly, and imagine a violin player. The so called "silent violins" are as loud AF.

LOL. I studied the violin for ten years, some of it while I lived in a studio apartment. I hung heavy “soundproof” curtains over newly installed French doors to a tiny dining area/bedroom with Murphy bed that shared a wall with a stairwell. The building was of the Art Deco era, heavy plaster and solid walls.

After having this remodeling done, I then commenced to practice every night when I got home from work. One morning, I got on the elevator and my neighbor from the other side of my practice room got on with me. She asked if I played the violin. I said yes, braving myself for a complaint, and then she said she enjoyed listening to me play. I was amazed.

I spent the last ten years studying the classical guitar. I don’t think anybody ever heard me. The amount of energy produced by bowing is far more than that produced by plucking.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/29/20 09:39 AM.
LarryK #3050847 11/29/20 10:37 AM
P
P
I said yes, braving myself for a complaint.

LOL. When people think violin is for rich people, yes, in a way I agree, you need to buy a bunker, not just a violin smile

pold #3050858 11/29/20 10:57 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

LOL. When people think violin is for rich people, yes, in a way I agree, you need to buy a bunker, not just a violin smile

Ha, indeed! By the way, my “soundproof” curtains were lined with lead, and weighed a ton, a lot of good that did. I ordered them from some industrial supply place. Sound is very tricky and can go through any small opening.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/29/20 10:59 AM.
LarryK #3050908 11/29/20 02:16 PM
P
P

Ha, indeed! By the way, my “soundproof” curtains were lined with lead, and weighed a ton, a lot of good that did. I ordered them from some industrial supply place. Sound is very tricky and can go through any small opening.

I wonder if we DIYers should join forces and create a 5mm vacuum layer to cover every wall, ceiling and floor.

pold #3051003 11/29/20 07:14 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

I wonder if we DIYers should join forces and create a 5mm vacuum layer to cover every wall, ceiling and floor.

I have heard of professional musicians constructing a room within a room, with an air gap, to cut down on the transmission of sound. My guitar teacher has an upstairs neighbor who is a professional percussionist, and that guy went to great lengths to stop the noise from leaving his apartment. I'm not exactly sure what he did but I could find out. Still, when we rehearsed at my teacher's apartment, every once in a while, you would hear a burst of drum noise, lol.

kiwibd #3051044 11/29/20 09:34 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
My office has a room like that work. Some kind of "floating" floor, with two layers of drywall and sound deadening material in between. It works very well for anything except a full drum kit, and folks jam pretty loud with a full PA setup and it's reasonably silent on the other side of the wall. Pretty expensive build-out though, talk about going to great lengths for sound insulation! I couldn't imagine going to that kind of expense in an apartment or condo.

For a "reasonable" solution, I think it's mainly properly rated sorbothane padding, plus locating the DP in the least offensive position. Anything much more (other than agreeing to reasonable playing and quiet hours) is above and beyond the call of duty.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
kiwibd #3051052 11/29/20 09:58 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kiwibd
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I don’t know about the N1, but yes, I’m using sorbathane caster cups on my N1X with no problem, they fit perfectly. Specifically these: Eison Piano Caster Cups for Upright Piano Wooden Piano Caster Piano Leg Floor Protectors with Non-Slip & Anti-Noise Foam Hardwood Floor Protectors, Set of 4, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTFHGGL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_UAFWFbCE2JZ5Y

They have eliminated all complaint from my wife and kids when they watch TV in the room right below the piano.

How did the caster cups fit the flat leg at the back? Would you mind taking a picture of that? Thank you!

The legs on the N1X aren't completely flat, they have casters attached to the bar, and were just barely big enough that they fit perfectly in the well of the cup. I was a little worried too, but it was like they were made for it.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
LarryK #3051132 11/30/20 06:55 AM
_
_
I have heard of professional musicians constructing a room within a room, with an air gap, to cut down on the transmission of sound.

Actually, vacuum works much better than air wink
In construction, a sandwich of heavy concrete walls with a isolation gap in between works well.

_sem_ #3051152 11/30/20 09:22 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by _sem_
I have heard of professional musicians constructing a room within a room, with an air gap, to cut down on the transmission of sound.

Actually, vacuum works much better than air wink
In construction, a sandwich of heavy concrete walls with a isolation gap in between works well.

Agreed, now tell me the cost, lol.

After twenty years of living in one bedroom apartments, my wife and I recently moved and bought a little house. It is nice not to have to worry about bothering anyone with my stereo, or my piano, a DYUS5, both of which can put out a lot of sound.

The house has a staircase on one side and my speakers face it. The house is kind of like a folded horn speaker. I can hear the stereo clearly in my office at the top of the stairs.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wilh. Steinberg grand piano
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/16/21 04:47 PM
Searching for my first piano
by AndresVel - 01/16/21 03:34 PM
Tuning pin video
by accordeur - 01/16/21 03:22 PM
Concert pianist opintions regarding DP actions
by Marc345 - 01/16/21 02:50 PM
Size, placement, brand
by Anjru - 01/16/21 02:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,299
Posts3,047,439
Members100,079
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission