2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
In a new film coming out in January, 2021
https://vimeo.com/475119364?fbclid=IwAR2NsQd65MqXHmui08uShp62TXw6Ae2-yhXeERmyNiyfR1szpJqWIFzv_Oo

Mikhail Pletnev says about this about Rachmaninov: "Rachmaninov is not a composer, Rachmaninov is not a pianist...Rachmaninov is a spirit."

What do you think he means by this?

S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
I think similar type statements, what i would call a pompous style, can be found about just any composer. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, ... all have been qualified by superlatives, which at the end, do not mean much. Spitta on Bach has created quite a few of the romantic side, which is quite in contradiction with the actual life and personality of Bach. In the video a title like R composed the "most beutiful melodies ever written" is just an empty statement. When one has nothing interesting to say, you just put a catchy title.

So for this statement (of course one would need to read the whole context) suggesting R is more than a human being is, at face value, pretty emphatic and to me means nothing specific. Seems like a quip. I assume with more context, it could make some sense ....

Blüthner model 6
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It has some of the classic movie trailer problems where they have put a lot of disparate pieces of the film into a narrative. It's a bit of speculation to say what he meant by that but if I can use the context within this clip, it seems he was referring to the spirit of the times in a cultural context. In other words, Rachmaninoff embodies or captures that spirit (or his music does). To some people, his music invokes sentiments that have cultural significance.

S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
It's a bit of speculation to say what he meant by that but if I can use the context within this clip, it seems he was referring to the spirit of the times in a cultural context. In other words, Rachmaninoff embodies or captures that spirit (or his music does). To some people, his music invokes sentiments that have cultural significance.

That seems plausible ! But that would be also the case of a lot of other composers. To a large extent, composers reflect the spirit of their time and culture.

Blüthner model 6
I'm with:

Originally Posted by Sidokar
I think similar type statements, what i would call a pompous style, can be found about just any composer.

....and, granting my not-highly-pro-Rachmaninoff bias, I think it's far less meaningful about him than about a few dozen other composers.

But meaningful is as meaningful does, and people is as people does. grin

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
The trailer kind of empties its clip starting with the 18th variation, doesn't it.

Thanks for making me aware of this, I will probably watch it. FWIW, over the last few days I have been letting my YouTube feed take me through all sorts of lesser known Russian piano literature and then a bunch of Rachmaninoff and that exercise made me appreciate how great a composer Rachmaninoff really is and made me feel strongly that his prominence really is a good example of the cream rises.

I also appreciate the answers given by Sidokar and Pathbreaker.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Again granting my bias, here's my list of composers about whom the idea is more apt:
(keyboard works only, just because I don't know other music well enough to consider composers on that basis)

Bach
Scarlatti
Beethoven
Mozart
Haydn
Schubert
Chopin
Schumann
Liszt
Alkan
Brahms
Grieg
Albeniz
Granados
Faure
Debussy
Ravel
Scriabin
Schoenberg
Joplin
Bartok
Prokofiev
Messiaen
Satie
Ives
Ligeti
Glass

It's not that I think Rachmaninoff was a bottom-of-the-heap composer, just that I'd consider him below these other composers on that curious criterion.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
In Russian the word that means "spirit" is mostly used to refer to willpower, courage, energy, like in the following example from Cambridge dictionary:
"The torture failed to break the prisoners spirit."

That's most probably what Pletnev meant.

Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
In Russian the word that means "spirit" is mostly used to refer to willpower, courage, energy, like in the following example from Cambridge dictionary:
"The torture failed to break the prisoners spirit."

That's most probably what Pletnev meant.

Thanks, sounds very possible!
It certainly works better.

I was thinking it was more like "spiritual."
(ah, words!!!) grin

ALTHOUGH, I'd say he did have his share of "spiritual" too....

F
F
Claudio Arrau said the exact opposite about Rachmaninoff. He once claimed that Rachmaninoff was arrogant for "turning every piece into Rachmaninoff", and also, not being familiar with Beethoven's Eroica Variations (Op. 35).

Though I have my disagreements with the first statement. Earl Wild said of Rachmaninoff that during one of his [Rachmaninoff's] concerts, he told the conductor that he wanted to do Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 1 (Op. 15) in strict classical tempo. [If I remember the interview from Earl Wild correctly.]

Pletnev's comments are accurate, but the 18th Variation of Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody is an incredible cliche to prove his point. I would've gone with the E minor theme from the first movement of Rachmaninoff's Piano Trio No. 2 in D minor (Op. 9).

Last edited by iaintagreatpianist; 11/24/20 07:33 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/@4ms (Music and hobbies)
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by iaintagreatpianist
Claudio Arrau said the exact opposite about Rachmaninoff. He once claimed that Rachmaninoff was arrogant for "turning every piece into Rachmaninoff", and also, not being familiar with Beethoven's Eroica Variations (Op. 35).

Though I have my disagreements with the first statement. Earl Wild said of Rachmaninoff that during one of his [Rachmaninoff's] concerts, he told the conductor that he wanted to do Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 1 (Op. 15) in strict classical tempo. [If I remember the interview from Earl Wild correctly.]

Pletnev's comments are accurate, but the 18th Variation of Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody is an incredible cliche to prove his point. I would've gone with the E minor theme from the first movement of Rachmaninoff's Piano Trio No. 2 in D minor (Op. 9).
Arrau was from a different generation than Rachmaninov so he was more inclined to take less liberties. I think criticizing someone for not knowing the Eroica Variations is quite silly. Pletnev did not choose the music for the video. I think using the 18th Variation makes perfect sense because the video is not intended for classical music aficionados.

P
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Again granting my bias, here's my list of composers about whom the idea is more apt:
(keyboard works only, just because I don't know other music well enough to consider composers on that basis)

Bach
Scarlatti
Beethoven
Mozart
Haydn
Schubert
Chopin
Schumann
Liszt
Alkan
Brahms
Grieg
Albeniz
Granados
Faure
Debussy
Ravel
Scriabin
Schoenberg
Joplin
Bartok
Prokofiev
Messiaen
Satie
Ives
Ligeti
Glass

It's not that I think Rachmaninoff was a bottom-of-the-heap composer, just that I'd consider him below these other composers on that curious criterion.

Every person is entitled to his or her own opinion, so I must voice mine: Declaring Rachmaninoff to be “lesser” than any of these artists is pure unadulterated egotistic idiocy. Who d'you think you are, chief?

P
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
the video is not intended for classical music aficionados.

Define “classical music aficionados”?

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by piano_adoring
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
the video is not intended for classical music aficionados.

Define “classical music aficionados”?
Use a dictionary if you don't know the meaning. And stop trolling.

D
D
Perhaps he meant that Rachmaninoff's music transcends above and beyond the context of the time when he was alive, or his personality, that the music survived the test of time, has a universal meaning or message which all of us can relate to or experience, that his work cannot be fitted in a category pianist or composer, that he became a spirit hovering above all of those definitions?

I am definitely looking forward to seeing the entire film, maybe the context of his statement will make the statement itself clearer.

Originally Posted by piano_adoring
Every person is entitled to his or her own opinion, so I must voice mine: Declaring Rachmaninoff to be “lesser” than any of these artists is pure unadulterated egotistic idiocy. Who d'you think you are, chief?

Among other things I might say.... grin
I wasn't talking about degrees of goodness or greatness, but about the relative natures of their works -- all "IMO" of course.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission