2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (aphexdisklavier, 36251, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, accordeur, ambrozy, 8ude, Animisha, 18 invisible), 652 guests, and 583 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
#3050711 11/29/20 12:14 AM
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
What exactly are the advantages of a triple-sensor action over its dual-sensor counterpart? For that matter, would a quadruple-sensor or quintuple-sensor ad infinitum be superior to a triple-sensor?

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
Almaviva #3050731 11/29/20 02:30 AM
L
L
tl;dr - https://youtu.be/OWJOoBaFhYs?t=78
short text explanation:
1. Single sensor just reads when a key is pressed - so no way to read how fast you pressed it
2. Double-sensor action detects two positions - when key is pressed, and when key is somewhere half the way - and by time delta it can detect how fast it was pressed. But it introduced an issue now that key pressing detection requires to pass both sensors, so to repeat the note - you have to release the key to the point where second sensor kicks in.
3. Triple-sensor action reduces the distance of the issue mentioned in #2, to the point where it almost never appears, as well as allow more precise calculations (you have three timestamps now to calculate how strong was the press).

Having more sensors would probably increase precision even more, allowing better control over dynamic, but that will be in the area of so highly trained touch softness where question if you should play on DP or acoustic is not anymore.

Last edited by lgsml; 11/29/20 02:31 AM.
Almaviva #3050753 11/29/20 05:44 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Dual-sensor: The sound needs to cut off before it can re-triggered i.e. the "note-off" sensor is also the initial trigger sensor that sees "now the key started its travel towards the bottom".

Triple-sensor: The sound doesn't need to be cut off to be retriggered as there's a "retrigger" sensor between the initial trigger and the bottom trigger.

Triple-sensor also allows to detect the key release velocity.

For some official text, images and audio demos you can turn to e.g. Kawai and go to: http://www.kawaimp.com/mp7se/detail/touch/

Almaviva #3050782 11/29/20 08:16 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
So it seems like at least theoretically 3 sensors is better than 2, and 4 is better than 3, and so on.....

So I ask, how is an optical sensor better? Is it because it’s continuous rather than on/off, or am I missing something here?

Also, Alpha piano claims that their sensor tech is the best because it uses ‘strip-like’ sensors that act more like strings, and incidentally are struck by real hammers. Will this approach really work better or is it simply marketing jibber-jabber, and might end up being worse than optical sensors due to hammers/strip sensors wearing off, and the system needing more overall maintenance?

I feel this is mild, but if it’s too spicy for some please feel free to go to the organic-kumbaya, healthy-vegetarian, yoga 🧘‍♂️ centered chi energy section!

Almaviva #3050783 11/29/20 08:20 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I feel like this has been discussed before. But good luck trying to find the right topic. 😄

"PW Digital Piano topics" in the "sticky thread" might help: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2752919/digital-piano-master-sticky-thread.html

Or we can repeat everything once more.

Almaviva #3050784 11/29/20 08:23 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
Namaste😔

Almaviva #3050797 11/29/20 09:06 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
4 better than 3 ? The advantage of 3 sensors over 2 is that each sensor has one function and can be placed ideally. With 2 sensors, the same sensor cut off the sound when releasing the key and start the timer when pressing the key. Then its place is a compromise.

To get an advantage of the 4th sensor, we have to introduce a new function for the new one. The only one I see is the acceleration measure like in CLP7xx.

With a continuous sensor (typically optical), the only advantage is 1/ measuring the acceleration (like CLP7xx... I don’t know if the AdvantGrand take care of it), 2/ having an half release if we release the key slowly.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Almaviva #3050816 11/29/20 09:43 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would say that in theory a single pressure sensitive solid state sensor would be the best.
In practice though they are not easy to calibrate precisely. Yet. I hope this will change in few years.
I believe there is one manufacturer already offering action with solid state sensors, but don't remember the brand.

Last edited by VladK; 11/29/20 09:45 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
Almaviva #3050819 11/29/20 09:50 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Alpha pianos use a pressure sensor (and more likely an other sensor for the note-off event).

But if the pressure is more likely to be proportional to the velocity. I a not sure it should be far better. Perhaps the acceleration measure of CLP7xx makes the tone control more accurate.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Almaviva #3050822 11/29/20 09:57 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yep, I thought about Alpha; it looks like it uses more complicated technology: http://www.printedelectronicsworld.com/articles/9859/printed-sensor-paste-improves-pianos

Last edited by VladK; 11/29/20 10:05 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
Almaviva #3050830 11/29/20 10:07 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am not that convinced “ The big advantage of a strain gage versus most other sensor technologies is that the strain gage is variable. The harder the key hits the gage surface, the bigger the electrical signal that is transmitted to the instrument's audio processor brain which converts the various current levels to the appropriate notes.”... What ?! we have a dynamic keyboard : the harder we press, the louder is the sound (like most 200€+ keyboard...).

The later part of the article tells about low pressure measure (something a 2 sensors has no trouble to measure).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 11/29/20 10:08 AM.

clothearednincompo #3050832 11/29/20 10:14 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Three sensors are not required to calulate release velocity. Just as, on the way down, you can measure the time it takes to travel from hitting sensor point 1 to sensor point 2, you can measure the time on the way up in moving from sensor point 2 to sensor point 1. Korg Kronos has RV on its pianos, and it uses a 2-sensor action.

anotherscott #3050841 11/29/20 10:24 AM
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Three sensors are not required to calulate release velocity. Just as, on the way down, you can measure the time it takes to travel from hitting sensor point 1 to sensor point 2, you can measure the time on the way up in moving from sensor point 2 to sensor point 1. Korg Kronos has RV on its pianos, and it uses a 2-sensor action.

On a real piano the damper is released halfway through the hammer travel, i.e. 5mm out of a total of 10mm. That means that you should put the first sensor there in order to be able to generate a note-off event realistically. This however means that if you try to repeat the key if you haven't released the key above that note-off point, you won't be able to retrigger the key. So, you allow for a realistic release but inability to retrigger correctly. On a grand piano you can retrigger just 1mm above the bottom. Which is why the use three sensors now, the first on at 5mm to detect release (and release velocity), the other two strictly for velocity measurement.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What’s the best Fender Rhodes VST?
by RinTin - 01/26/21 01:09 PM
mp7es recording
by Colette2 - 01/26/21 01:00 PM
Log Sheets to Track Scale & Arpeggio Practice
by Talão - 01/26/21 12:21 PM
Fanny Hensel Sonata in G minor
by Ainar - 01/26/21 12:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,567
Posts3,051,783
Members100,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission