2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (Baltguy, ambrozy, A. Lucato, 36251, Beansparrow, 24 invisible), 687 guests, and 541 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Would you ever buy a new piano"blind"
Rickster #3049982 11/27/20 03:33 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Well we could start that right now .Does my piano match my clothes or would my art deco furniture go with my very traditional black grand . Will my black polyester upright cause to me anxiety about about the mafia or the people I think are part of the mob down the road ?
What do you think ? Should I move or should I buy a white piano instead ?

Speaking of the mafia, the mob, gangs, etc..., in my neck of the woods, I could drive roughly 50 miles north, and my chances of being a victim of a violent crime, or even murder, would go up 10/20 fold. No kidding, and no joke.

Speaking of the exterior finish of our piano(s) matching our personality, or home decor, I guess I have a split personality. I have a satin ebony finish grand, a satin cherry finish grand, and a satin walnut finish upright in my home. So, I suppose I don't have a personality that is high-gloss, but I do have multiple personalities, and I'd like to think they are all high-class. smile

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! smile

Rick
When you buy pianos in your local piano store they are mostly polished ebony. You would have to order "blind"all the time.
I have never though polished ebony had no class .......
They are just the most common ones one comes across.
I do not mind satin finish that much .Satin Walnut can vary from brand to brand. Some I like others I do not. I do not want just a brown piano.
Varying thread from blind to colour blind .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/27/20 03:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Lady Bird #3050021 11/27/20 06:32 AM
V
V
I agree that they are many excellent reasons, mostly of lower manufacturing costs, but some of convenience or "passe-partout" esthetics, for most pianos to be painted glossy black. It is amusing to Google "piano black" and find that most hits will be linked to cars and the mob look (Men in Black?)

I also believe that there is a "professional" bias. There is a trend today for projecting a "Pro" look in every hobby, so even amateurs pianists able and willing to decorate their homes with ridiculously expensive art will opt for the minimalist pro look for their new piano.

I am however interested in history, and have been unable to find out when the fashion started. Chopin or Lizst never played on a black piano. Maybe the First World War deprivations started this move to economy in concert and professional circles?

For home pianos, that move certainly came much later, even quite recently for top of the line DP's.

Steinway "A". Roland LX 706. Viscount Sonus 45 hybrid organ with 165 real pipes. Harpsichord by Marc Fontaine.
Lady Bird #3050032 11/27/20 07:21 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
The least I'd do is go online and find a recording made with specific brands & models of piano. The last thing I need is to go to a local piano dealer and try a few out. Can't really determine the touch of the keys unless you actually play a song on a piano.

I know someone who got a free piano from a friend who moved to another city. He found out later the piano is 1 of the smaller brands that was made in Germany. And the condition isn't too bad since it hasn't been played for the past 10 years. The man is retired with very little savings. If he had a choice, he would be in a store for half a day trying 1 piano after another. Since he is not in the financial position for a new instrument, the free one would be just fine.

WBLynch #3050035 11/27/20 07:35 AM
V
V
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I find it amusing, all the consternation of playing pianis over and over, trying to detect the minutest of differences to finally declare a final winner.

In real life one gets to choose from a small handful of candidates that happen to be available in that small slice of time, in one’s restricted area, and within one’s budget.

If you think about it, throughout the history of buying pianos, most all were bought unseen. And a huge portion of those were bought mail order from Sears and Roebuck catalogs. Shipped by train and even horse cart to the final owner. You got what you got. No exchanges, no returns.

You nailed it. Real life is about making reasonably fast decisions with incomplete knowledge, on available opportunities. In my view the most important thing is not to go for perfection (an illusion) but to safely discard lemons. This is my approach to the stock market : I find it much easier to identify losers than winners, and it has served me well. PW and other forums are very useful to stay clear of clunkers.

Steinway "A". Roland LX 706. Viscount Sonus 45 hybrid organ with 165 real pipes. Harpsichord by Marc Fontaine.
Lady Bird #3050102 11/27/20 11:25 AM
G
G
Lets not forget that choosing a piano is in itself a fun activity, at least to some. You can try to reduce the effort but that wouldn’t make much sense for those who actually enjoy it.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
Vikendios #3050125 11/27/20 12:33 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Vikendios
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I find it amusing, all the consternation of playing pianis over and over, trying to detect the minutest of differences to finally declare a final winner.

In real life one gets to choose from a small handful of candidates that happen to be available in that small slice of time, in one’s restricted area, and within one’s budget.

If you think about it, throughout the history of buying pianos, most all were bought unseen. And a huge portion of those were bought mail order from Sears and Roebuck catalogs. Shipped by train and even horse cart to the final owner. You got what you got. No exchanges, no returns.

You nailed it. Real life is about making reasonably fast decisions with incomplete knowledge, on available opportunities. In my view the most important thing is not to go for perfection (an illusion) but to safely discard lemons. This is my approach to the stock market : I find it much easier to identify losers than winners, and it has served me well. PW and other forums are very useful to stay clear of clunkers.
The pianos I am looking at certainly are not clunkers.
Vikendios it is the same in Paris as here in fact. Most of (if not all the pianos) I saw there in dealers were in Polished Ebony. These included C Bechstein, Sauter, Yamaha , and the more ordinary French pianos like Rameau .
Even the new Bechstein Concert 8 and the Bechstein grand I
tried were in PE. The whole reason for this thread is because I
have always chosen pianos extremely carefully.
If you just go into a store and buy the prettiest wood finish you
could easily end up with a clunker.
By the way if "Polished Ebony " is a misnomer so is "Rose Mahogany". The other day I saw a "Rosewood" recorder( flute)
except it was not Rosewood but Palisander.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/27/20 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Lady Bird #3050227 11/27/20 05:43 PM
J
J
I'd agree with many here - it is reliable if you spend a lot of money, e.g. because all new Steinways are well made. BUT if you have such money to spend, why not make it personal and meet the piano you buy first?

Jill Crossland #3050244 11/27/20 06:52 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Jill Crossland
I'd agree with many here - it is reliable if you spend a lot of money, e.g. because all new Steinways are well made. BUT if you have such money to spend, why not make it personal and meet the piano you buy first?
I agree Jill , that is the safest thing to do .Although there have been many mishaps for people even doing that.
It is a daunting decision trading or buying a new piano. The piano sounds wonderful in the store but will it live up to the one that in is in ones home. A new piano is a mystery, an unfinished instrument that becomes finished after it has settled into ones home and has had a few tunings.
The piano I have has been a joy to me .The thought of trading in and buying a new piano seems absurd to me today. It is true a practice pedal would be a GREAT help .Of course the Schimmel is a possibility or I could hope (really hope ) that a piano ordered blind from Sauter will be just as fulfilling as my
present instrument.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/27/20 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Lady Bird #3050291 11/27/20 10:13 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I actually did buy a piano without seeing it first. Twice. Both were rebuilds. I knew the workshop very well, so it wasn't totally blind, but the results were largely predictable. The second time was actually having my piano rebuilt, so I did actually own the piano and had used it for 15 years first, but it got a new soundboard and pin block so that's quite extensive work.

In this case, although all the instruments this workshop had rebuilt were different, there wasn't one I didn't like. Yeah, sure, there were ones I liked better than others in the workshop, and I've even liked other pianos from other places better, but it worked out well for my situation and time.

The other thing is that if you're a pianist and practicing all the time, your piano will change so much over the course of your life with it that it will virtually not be the same piano when you part with it than it was when you bought it. If you want to keep the piano, you'll probably go through the hammers in five or ten years depending, and that in itself is a huge factor in the tone.

I wouldn't buy a piano of a make I'd never tried before unseen, but for instance if I was buying a Yamaha C3X, I'd be happy enough for them to send me one I hadn't seen and for the technician to work on it after. The other thing is that quite often if you've decided you want a C3 and you want it in a finish other than black, you'll often have an option of one piano to choose or wait six months for another.

Lady Bird #3050328 11/28/20 01:55 AM
O
Online Content
O
Since I'm just a beginner who can stretch to play early-intermediate pieces, I wouldn't trust myself to pick a piano. I've been playing on a digital for the last 1.5 years and due to COVID have very little time on an acoustic. I'd rather read the reviews, listen to recordings, then try and use my limited skills to choose. I want an acoustic, but the risk of choosing the wrong one makes me want to crawl under a shell. I don't want to have to get rid of an acoustic after choosing the wrong one. I may try some when I finally shop, but I don't think I'd limit my choices to pianos I can try locally due to my lack of confidence in my ability.

Lady Bird #3050335 11/28/20 02:54 AM
T
T
I think the most correct answer is the op question is:
no , you should not, if possible you should try playing the piano first.

I have asked myself that same question for 6 years.
there are not much piano stores here in my country that have floor models to try,
as a matter of fact, there is only 4 stores:
2 stores with european pianos with unbelievably very very expensive price,
the other 2 are: yamaha and kawai but with very limited floor models, for grand pianos, usually only the cheapest grand available, so you are out of luck if you want better and more expensive grands.

I am thinking to get a C7x or S6x.
Thinking to go to Japan to try the piano at the factory,
but only Kawai allows it, Yamaha Indonesia won't.

And now there is covid, so no travelling permitted.

So for now, I guess, there is no other choice, I must order the piano blind.

That being said, up to now, I still can not make my decision to order.

Lady Bird #3050435 11/28/20 10:36 AM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Can I just say a welcome to Jill Crossland who is a fellow professional pianist and has given hundreds of concerts in her career. Welcome to the forum.

Joseph Fleetwood #3050439 11/28/20 10:43 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Can I just say a welcome to Jill Crossland who is a fellow professional pianist and has given hundreds of concerts in her career. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome Jill Crossland, to Piano World!

Looking forward to your words of wisdom and experience regarding all things pianos, and more! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Joseph Fleetwood #3050448 11/28/20 11:13 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood

Jill’s first post is under ‘Fun stuff- member’s recordings’, an outstanding Bach performance. I suspect it was missed by many as this is an ignored sub-forum

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ducing-myself-with-bach.html#Post3048500

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Lady Bird #3050635 11/28/20 07:35 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Welcome Jill !
Bravo ! Wonderful playing of that Bach !

Lady Bird #3050704 11/28/20 11:50 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
What I meant is would you ever order a new piano from a dealer without having tried the actual piano you will receive ?
How about if the manufacturer will send you a video recording of that piano ? Of course you would have to have a great deal of trust in the manufacturer.
I was careful in choosing when I chose my piano and tried quite a few others before deciding on this one .

Never. A prestigious brand on the fallboard increases the likelihood that a piano is very good, but the high price also raises expectations for the standard the piano should meet.

Not logging in very often, but I will receive PMs.
Sweelinck #3050710 11/29/20 12:13 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
What I meant is would you ever order a new piano from a dealer without having tried the actual piano you will receive ?
How about if the manufacturer will send you a video recording of that piano ? Of course you would have to have a great deal of trust in the manufacturer.
I was careful in choosing when I chose my piano and tried quite a few others before deciding on this one .

Never. A prestigious brand on the fallboard increases the likelihood that a piano is very good, but the high price also raises expectations for the standard the piano should meet.
I agree with you Sweelinck. So today we had another look at the Schimmel K132...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Moving the Steinway Across the Country
by Greg Midi - 01/17/21 10:35 AM
First DP in 30 years
by Moggul - 01/17/21 10:24 AM
I just discovered music of Violet Archer
by iamandrew3 - 01/17/21 10:19 AM
Pianist Magazine's Online Courses
by bSharp(C)yclist - 01/17/21 10:00 AM
Performance crash and burn
by spartan928 - 01/17/21 09:51 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,324
Posts3,047,799
Members100,095
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission