2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
105 members (Animisha, anotherscott, anotherpianoplayer, ambrozy, Abdol, akc42, Anglagard44, 8ude, AndrewJCW, 25 invisible), 684 guests, and 582 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Left Hand Chord Progression Training
#3050434 11/28/20 10:35 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi all,

I have been taking a turn from classical to Jazz and one reason is to use as a left hand exercise to help with stroke recovery I had a year + ago. I have been focusing on the basics and using the PianoWithJonny site (BTW over this weekend they have a good offer for the holidays, 50% off a annual subscription and the rate stays locked in.) and I have been getting a better understanding, though still beginner, of the basic jazz concepts. While doing this I have learned that some things are easier and harder for the left hand. Playing scales and the standard 7 chords I have a good handle on but with chord progressions not so much. I think part of the problem is the lack of a reference point for the left hand. For example doing the turn around progression (1-6-2-5) in a stride format with chord shells in F is much more of a challenge than playing four octave scales in Gb. (The current goal is to be able to do so at 60BPM) So as part of my recover program I am working out chord progressions and other exercises that involve lifting the left hand and moving it to a new position. I would appreciate any suggestions for other chord progressions that I should also learn to shake things up a bit to use as exercises. My DP is in my home office so I will jump over and take a 5-10 minute break several times a day playing just scale related exercises. Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW any other suggestions on a practice plan to go along with scales practice would also be appreciated. Right now I am doing the major scales, 7th chords, pentatonic 7th chord,s 2-5-1 and 1-6-2-5 chord progressions in a stride format.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Left Hand Chord Progression Training
Peddler100 #3050459 11/28/20 11:45 AM
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
A few suggestions:
1. Do a ii-V-I moving through all the keys. So you play a ii-V-I, and then turn the I chord into a minor, which starts a new ii-V-I. This sequence will take you through half the keys. You then need to start over on a ii chord a half step above the original ii. E.g: A- D7-Gmaj G-7, C7, F maj, F-7, etc.
2. Practice Rhythm Changes. You should be able to look up that 32 bar form.
3. Play over the 12 bar blues form using bebop changes, which you can probably look up, as well, or just find the changes to some Charlie Parker blues heads like Billies bounce.

jjo #3050464 11/28/20 11:55 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by jjo
A few suggestions:
1. Do a ii-V-I moving through all the keys. So you play a ii-V-I, and then turn the I chord into a minor, which starts a new ii-V-I. This sequence will take you through half the keys. You then need to start over on a ii chord a half step above the original ii. E.g: A- D7-Gmaj G-7, C7, F maj, F-7, etc.
2. Practice Rhythm Changes. You should be able to look up that 32 bar form.
3. Play over the 12 bar blues form using bebop changes, which you can probably look up, as well, or just find the changes to some Charlie Parker blues heads like Billies bounce.

Thanks for the suggestions! Just what I am looking for.

Peddler100 #3050500 11/28/20 01:55 PM
I second jjo's recommendations!

Bebop blues changes and Rhythm Changes in all keys will have you playing all chord types in all 12 keys. Plus you have a built-in repertoire of tunes to play.

Also make sure that your iiVs are in both major and minor.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
JazzPianoOnline #3050535 11/28/20 03:40 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by JazzPianoOnline
I second jjo's recommendations!

Bebop blues changes and Rhythm Changes in all keys will have you playing all chord types in all 12 keys. Plus you have a built-in repertoire of tunes to play.

Also make sure that your iiVs are in both major and minor.

Yep, know what I will be working on for the next year or more. smile Gotta find some info on Rhythm change....

Peddler100 #3061820 12/27/20 04:51 PM
C
C
Hi peddler100

Sent you a pm

Peddler100 #3061844 12/27/20 06:47 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I play my left hand in around 7 ways, so I practice switching every 4 bars or so.

Last edited by RinTin; 12/27/20 06:48 PM.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris and Monty Alexander (1993-present)
Peddler100 #3071350 01/19/21 07:54 AM
You probably want to work on a walking bass with your left hand. In keeping with Rin Tin’s 7 way left hand, you could go through all the ii7 V7 I^7s then go through walking bass for all those progressions. I like rootless bass chords and stacked fourths. So for the first ii V I, for example you could play a nice low couple of Ds first beat then move up an octave to ii9 without the D by the pinky for a few beats. Leave out the 5th so you have the Ds, then up an octave to F#, C, E. Maybe for the V7 you want a 13th. So a couple of low Gs, then up an octave to F, B, E. Instead of the I^7 sometimes go for the I6/9.

Peddler100 #3071383 01/19/21 09:35 AM
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Peddler100
... I am working out chord progressions and other exercises that involve lifting the left hand and moving it to a new position. I would appreciate any suggestions for other chord progressions that I should also learn to shake things up a bit to use as exercises...

BTW any other suggestions on a practice plan to go along with scales practice would also be appreciated.

Sure, how about nearly any jazz standard (will likely work with stride). Stride is a very versatile accompaniment but the biggest issue with stride is voicing and you can't work on voicing when you don't know what you're even playing. So, these canned progressions are useless in real music.

In stride you have a lot of opportunity for redundancy, you have harmony in your LH twice, and harmony in your RH. If you are on a chord for 4 beats, you likely are going to play the LH chord again, so now we have 5 opportunities for redundancy.

Start with something like Georgia On My Mind, or Laura. In the beginning, just use a single note on the bottom of your stride. Otherwise you will have new finger combination in LH on every beat. That is a lot to think about.

The top of the stride should get close to the full chord, but what harmony is your RH already covering?

I really don't see the point of exercises that don't translate well. Why not learn some real music in a real context while your at it.

Greener #3071518 01/19/21 02:52 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Greener
Sure, how about nearly any jazz standard (will likely work with stride). Stride is a very versatile accompaniment but the biggest issue with stride is voicing and you can't work on voicing when you don't know what you're even playing. So, these canned progressions are useless in real music.

In stride you have a lot of opportunity for redundancy, you have harmony in your LH twice, and harmony in your RH. If you are on a chord for 4 beats, you likely are going to play the LH chord again, so now we have 5 opportunities for redundancy.

Start with something like Georgia On My Mind, or Laura. In the beginning, just use a single note on the bottom of your stride. Otherwise you will have new finger combination in LH on every beat. That is a lot to think about.

The top of the stride should get close to the full chord, but what harmony is your RH already covering?

I really don't see the point of exercises that don't translate well. Why not learn some real music in a real context while your at it.

Hi Greener,

Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely look at that as part of my practice plan a bit down the road. Part of the goal is to help with left hand / arm coordination issues resulting from a stroke. (Beats the heck out of picking beads out of therapeutic putty. smile ) One of the issues I have is landing something when I need to lift and move the left hand. For example I am working on stride playing the root note followed by shells, either 7-3 or 3-7 alternately. When I play this with the shells in close proximity to the root note it's not a problem, however move the root down one octave and if the root is a black key then targeting that note with my left hand pinky at any real pace becomes a bit of an issue. I actually prefer walking bass lines but stride piano provides the most benefit when it comes to rehab. Interesting aside is that if I were to add another note, say the 3rd or 5th, it gets easier. It's the single note that is the challenge.

Edited to add from my tests it appears doing an almost overstated arc with the arm is easier than just moving the hand and trying to hover over that keyboard.

Last edited by Peddler100; 01/19/21 02:56 PM.

Peddler100 #3071572 01/19/21 04:47 PM
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Yes, I have always preferred piano over beads in putty too. But, I guess I kind of missed out on the therapeutic angle.

I see, well on the bottom of stride, you can always use 1,5, often 1,6 or 1,7 on a 7th., of course. Top of the stride you can fill the chord up more, but just pay attention to what RH is doing. If you need to play stride on the same chord twice, the 2nd iteration should be or could be slightly different. Instead of going back to 1, perhaps go back to 5 on the base and some other harmony like a 4th above this, or some other combo. Also, change the orientation of the chord on top by moving top note to bottom this time, or the other way around. You have to keep it interesting is all. There is a feel to stride (maybe exercises can at least help with the feel) and once it clicks, it is not the hardest of all accompaniments. Also, nothing stopping you from mixing it up with a walking base or even broken chords for a verse if it fits.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Peddler100 #3071574 01/19/21 04:49 PM
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
duplicate removed.

Last edited by Greener; 01/19/21 04:50 PM.
Greener #3071742 01/20/21 06:39 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Greener
Yes, I have always preferred piano over beads in putty too. But, I guess I kind of missed out on the therapeutic angle.

I see, well on the bottom of stride, you can always use 1,5, often 1,6 or 1,7 on a 7th., of course. Top of the stride you can fill the chord up more, but just pay attention to what RH is doing. If you need to play stride on the same chord twice, the 2nd iteration should be or could be slightly different. Instead of going back to 1, perhaps go back to 5 on the base and some other harmony like a 4th above this, or some other combo. Also, change the orientation of the chord on top by moving top note to bottom this time, or the other way around. You have to keep it interesting is all. There is a feel to stride (maybe exercises can at least help with the feel) and once it clicks, it is not the hardest of all accompaniments. Also, nothing stopping you from mixing it up with a walking base or even broken chords for a verse if it fits.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently I am working on turn around progressions just to get a feel for stride and work on left hand coordination but I have to admit it does get a bit boring. I have thought of moving towards lead sheets playing the single note melody in the right hand and quarter note stride pattern in the left hand.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Online lessons suggestion/recommend
ations/experiences?

by Javaslinger - 01/26/21 01:32 PM
What’s the best Fender Rhodes VST?
by RinTin - 01/26/21 01:09 PM
mp7es recording
by Colette2 - 01/26/21 01:00 PM
Log Sheets to Track Scale & Arpeggio Practice
by Talão - 01/26/21 12:21 PM
Fanny Hensel Sonata in G minor
by Ainar - 01/26/21 12:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,571
Posts3,051,806
Members100,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission