2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
If you're looking for home/studio monitors for your setup, JBL 305P and iLoud Micro Monitors are both on sale for ~$200/pr at various sites. By reputation, both are good, JBL a bit better, but iLoud smaller and more flexible in placement (due to front porting, an EQ switch to compensate for the boundary if used on a desk, and mic stand threaded mounting points). The JBL will probably behave a bit better off-axis (because of its waveguide tech), and bass probably won't roll off as quickly as you push the volume. (Both go down about equally low to start, but if you push toward max volume, the iLouds will severely roll off at around 70 Hz where the JBL should get you into the 40s pretty nicely, at least based on some online charts from its predecessor... and not surprising since you're comparing a 5" woofer to a 3" woofer). If you're going to push the volume on the iLouds, it might be nice to supplement with a sub if you have one.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I have jbl lsr 305, but I can't say I recommend them. Other than that I don't like them for piano vst's, they have a static hiss.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott
If you're looking for home/studio monitors for your setup, JBL 305P and iLoud Micro Monitors are both on sale for ~$200/pr at various sites. By reputation, both are good, JBL a bit better, but iLoud smaller and more flexible in placement (due to front porting, an EQ switch to compensate for the boundary if used on a desk, and mic stand threaded mounting points). The JBL will probably behave a bit better off-axis (because of its waveguide tech), and bass probably won't roll off as quickly as you push the volume. (Both go down about equally low to start, but if you push toward max volume, the iLouds will severely roll off at around 70 Hz where the JBL should get you into the 40s pretty nicely, at least based on some online charts from its predecessor... and not surprising since you're comparing a 5" woofer to a 3" woofer). If you're going to push the volume on the iLouds, it might be nice to supplement with a sub if you have one.

This is interesting -- and I thought there are no sales on studio monitors? Your post came at the right time! smile I'm just window shopping here. smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by U3piano
I have jbl lsr 305, but I can't say I recommend them. Other than that I don't like them for piano vst's, they have a static hiss.

Sorry about that. I have the generation 4 KRK Rokit5's, got them last Thanksgiving / Black Friday. And it also has hiss. I set the input sensitivity at -4 and leave it there.

D
D
Manufacturers use the term "active studio monitors" because these are huge marketing buzz words that work very well for them.

While these small powered bookshelf speakers are vwonderfully convenient, somewhat inexpensive and look pretty cool, they don't qualify as true studio monitors - they aren't nearly as flat, noise-free and accurate as they should be BUT that's not necessarily a bad thing since most - if not all - true monitors that are used for mixing in studios are terrible for playing back recorded music and samples.

D
D
I use the iLoud micromonitors with small subwoofer. It gives an amazing sound for the size. I use it more for a portable rig, as I have my full size studio setup too, but for a general family home situation, they sound powerful in a large room and take up little space.
The other advantage of this setup, is the micromonitors are less affected by any poor room acoustics being small near field monitors. This combo to my ears, sounds even better than the iLoud MTM's which I tried and sent back.
I mostly use vst's particlularly piano and orchestral. The orchestral being very demanding, projects with a lot of headroom.

A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by djvu10
Manufacturers use the term "active studio monitors" because these are huge marketing buzz words
"Active" is not a buzzword, it means they are powered (as opposed to passive, which requires external amplification).

they don't qualify as true studio monitors - they aren't nearly as flat, noise-free and accurate as they should be.
They actually are reasonably flat... check out the iloud freq response charts at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/index.php?p=specs

DSPs have made it possible to get flat response out of less expensive speakers.

D
D
Oh sorry, did I say "active" was a buzzword???

These are just the opinions of most professional producers whom I have spoken to who have been using studio monitors long before the more recent birth of these active speakers/monitors that seem to spring up everywhere... except in professional studios.

I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't buy them or use them; I don't think people should automatically assume a $200 pair active speakers should be regarded as something much better because the words "studio monitors" are printed on the box. $200 doesn't buy a very good stereo amplifier and $200 doesn't buy a good pair of speakers so it's not totally practical to assume $200 will buy us both.

If you're thrilled with your $200 speakers, wonderful. If you find them less than perfect, maybe you'll feel less frustrated knowing you only spent $100 on a stereo amp and $50 on each speaker smile

D
D
Yes I think the size and price have to be kept in perspective. I tend to compare them to other monitors of similar size. My studio monitors are Adam's. There always someone who doesn't like every particular monitor but I think most people here use their monitors for performance rather than mixing, so in that respect I find they are excellent for their size and DSP functionality and use.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
JBL 305 are on sale at Amazon, I tried to buy two speakers but there is a limit of 1 item per customer. shocked
I spoke with amazon and no this is not a mistake, I can only buy one.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Serge88
JBL 305 are on sale at Amazon, I tried to buy two speakers but there is a limit of 1 item per customer. shocked
Weird. Try Guitar Center/Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, or Zzounds, they all have the sale price. It looks like you can also get it from "other sellers on amazon."

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by Serge88
Weird. Try Guitar Center/Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, or Zzounds, they all have the sale price. It looks like you can also get it from "other sellers on amazon."

I live in Canada and Amazon has the lowest price for the JBL on the Black friday.
Too bad but my wallet is safe.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is not so ...
$200 doesn't buy a very good stereo amplifier ...
Shop around. There are plenty of good amplifiers for that price ... or even less. Much less.

Amplifier tech has matured, and east Asian manufacturing has reduced prices drastically.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission