2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, 5 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
What a present! A Brand New Bösendorfer 214VC. I think that costs over $150K. What a head start this kid has.

God Bless,
David

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
The young lady plays amazingly.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by WBLynch
The young lady plays amazingly.

Yes, if there is an example needed of an expensive piano being well earned, this nine year old is it.

M
M
She seems like a nice kid, clearly loves playing the piano, loves her parents, and plays beautifully. I imagine Bosendorfer for one couldn't be happier that the piano will be treasured and played well.

Kawai Novus NV10S
T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
Assuming that she started playing at age 3, the 6 years of training paid off. She probably came from a wealthy family. At least rich enough to be able to afford a concert grand and a home large enough to accommodate such an instrument. On top we have a talented young lady who can make use of such an instrument from day 1.

I live in a relatively small space so in my younger days the family had a Yamaha upright. The most I'd wish for is a Boston upright (by Steinway). After buying a high-end piano, it'd take 30 years of intensive practice to get to her level of playing.

Reminds me of a young Chinese-American virtuoso William Zhang from Atlanta, Georgia. His parents were so convinced their son has talent for music that at age 2 they bought him a $20,000 piano. His parents taught him to play baby songs until 4 (because he was too young) before they got a teacher for formal lessons.

W
W
I’d loved to have come from a musical family regardless of piano type

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Wayne2467
I’d loved to have come from a musical family regardless of piano type

I’m glad I didn’t come from a musical family; I was left alone to enjoy practicing and lessons without being prodded every day as some kids are. I don’t know they would have done that, but it would have been a possibility if they would have played any instrument. Some of my teachers have told me parental horror stories involving their lessons or performances.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Wow, she plays REALLY well. More power to her.

The "old" grand in the room doesn't look to be a slouch, either.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Wow, she plays REALLY well. More power to her.

The "old" grand in the room doesn't look to be a slouch, either.

If you check Google, she has done very well in a large number of competitions as a teenager.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Mark Twain had a plaque on the wall in his house in Hartford, Connecticut which read:

“The lack of money is the root of all evil.”

I quite agree. I received no musical instruments as a child, not that I would have turned out for be a concert pianist, but childhood would have been a little less bleak.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/27/20 12:02 PM.
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
“Why couldn’t I have these parents?”

I’ve been asking that question for YEARS. Now, you’re just rubbing salt in my wound. eek

Kidding...I’ll get over it. cry

Kawai K500
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That swimming pool in the back doesn't look too shabby, either.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
At least the piano won't go to waste. My wife's cousins are very well to do and they brought an expensive Steinway grand that none of the children ended up playing for very long. Now it just sits there as a furniture piece.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
Coming from a non-musical family, don't think my parents can tell the difference between a Steinway and a Yamaha so we got the cheaper piano. Even at age 20, I didn't have enough playing experience to know the difference between an expensive and an ordinary piano. Someone enrolled in Suzuki music would get their hands on high end grand pianos at a young age. They'd be on stage playing "Twinkle Variations" in the first recital on a Steinway, Bösendorfer or Fazioli grand. Most average family can't afford such a piano at home but the kids are going to their year-end recital playing high-end instruments.

Looks like the lady would have played on another piano before she got her special gift. When I was younger, I'd need to work my butt off for a few years and play like a pro before mom would consider getting a high-end piano. The first month I struggled to play a C-scale. With limited technical abilities, I wouldn't be able to appreciate an expensive instrument.

A few years ago, someone in my music group wanted to get rid of a Chickering baby grand (second-hand and in good condition). I'd be paying with my own money so even something slightly used would be fine.

Online Content
Originally Posted by EPW
At least the piano won't go to waste. My wife's cousins are very well to do and they brought an expensive Steinway grand that none of the children ended up playing for very long. Now it just sits there as a furniture piece.
There is nothing wrong with buying a piano purely or mostly as a piece of furniture which is not putting it to waste. In addition, some makers, probably especially Steinway, might have great trouble surviving without sales of some pianos purely as furniture.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
She plays really well!

P
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by EPW
..... some makers, probably especially Steinway, might have great trouble surviving without sales of some pianos purely as furniture.

Maybe there is room in the marketplace for a high-end, fancy-brand-name Grand which is really just an empty shell; no keys, no strings, no hammers inside. A budget model whose sole purpose is to look nice and serve as a fancy piece of furniture. Guests could pile their coats on it, for example.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am more than satisfied with the parents I had, GB both, But, I am more impressed with how these two kids played than the pianos.
The unbelievable ability inherent in humans is really not tapped, but too- I guess it depends on what vantage point you're looking from.

My vantage point is this: One man's campfire is another's cathedral.

T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
Guess people in my family have always been practical. If the kids are not taking music lessons, there would be no need for a piano at home. For a brief time there was a Yamaha upright at home. After that the instrument at home is a DP. All my instruments at home (keyboard, violin, flute) can be stored in the closet when I'm not practicing.

A piano would give a large mansion a cozy feel when a person has a lot of money. Some who own expensive residences rarely spend time in any 1 home but keep each residence fully staffed. When there is a gathering, anybody in the party who can play can have fun with the piano in the living room. Otherwise the top can be used as a coffee table. Even a piano that is out of tune makes a room look decorative.

Some would rather prefer a piece of 18th century antique furniture that retains value.

On reflection I think I would've probably been much more inspired to practice and continue musical education as a child had I an acoustic grand at home. My parents invested in a Roland HP2e for my piano tuition and whilst I didn't know any better, playing the acoustic pianos at school was always more rewarding and insipring especially due to how different they felt to play.

Obviously any parent who could afford to would help their child realise their dreams in this way, just a shame we couldn't all have a Bosendorfer, I remember as a teen spending hours just looking at the various art cases on their website (I've Always been a huge Bosendorfer fan and everytime I'm in London I cannot resist visiting Yamaha and talking my way into playing them).

I know my parents didn't have loose cash to pay for the Roland, they paid it off over a few years, and I still appreciate it to this day. I've no doubt the young lady will forever be indebted to her parents for the investment.

Last edited by OldTinho; 11/27/20 10:18 PM.

Yamaha N1X
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission