2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
I don't think I've seen this mentioned here... a 110 lb acoustic piano which breaks into two smaller/lighter pieces for transport, costing under 2,000 euros.

It obviously can't replace everyone's need for a DP... notably, it has only 69 keys and one string per key, and no silent mode and no MIDI. And it will need to be periodically tuned.

But at that price (new), I suspect it may well be the best feeling and most authentic sounding option compared to any comparably priced (or even substantially more expensive) DP.

https://www.worldpianonews.com/new-product/keybird-x1-lightweight-acoustic-piano/

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I don't think I've seen this mentioned here... a 110 lb acoustic piano which breaks into two smaller/lighter pieces for transport, costing under 2,000 euros.

It obviously can't replace everyone's need for a DP... notably, it has only 69 keys and one string per key, and no silent mode and no MIDI. And it will need to be periodically tuned.

But at that price (new), I suspect it may well be the best feeling and most authentic sounding option compared to any comparably priced (or even substantially more expensive) DP.

https://www.worldpianonews.com/new-product/keybird-x1-lightweight-acoustic-piano/

No way, simply amazing! Thanks for posting it. It's basically a cheaper version of the Klavins Una corda. They should also make a grand version, in two pieces, where the strings/frame can be bolted/folded to a grand action.

D
D
As with digital pianos, everyone needs to play this before deciding iwhether the action is right for them.

I fully respect the person who invented this piano but am not automatically optimistic about the "acoustic action" just because most of the full-size spinets I've played in the past never sounded or felt nearly as good as even my MP11se (which happens to cost about the same as this piano).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
This is exactly what I want, but it must have 88 keys and a shell. Moisture is the enemy.

Last edited by jeffcat; 11/26/20 03:17 PM.
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Wow that is so cool!

If they make a version with 88 keys that would be a killer product!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I love it. Excellent for apartments and for learning to tune piano also. Price is fantastic. Because of long strings it sounds very good. I would buy almost blindly just because it is practical. I don`t expect top quality for that money but I would place my trust in Denmark top carpentry experience and well known school of excellent hifi sounds.

Q
Q
It has only one pedal, damper i think. But what about the cabinet? Without it the sound ought to be really different from a piano. Any video or sound testing?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by QuasarPiano
It has only one pedal, damper i think. But what about the cabinet? Without it the sound ought to be really different from a piano. Any video or sound testing?
This is home page, scroll down, you have 4 videos

https://keybird-instruments.com/english/home

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Sort of a 21st century re-conceptualization of a Rhodes.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
Q
Q
This is home page, scroll down, you have 4 videos

https://keybird-instruments.com/english/home

Third party review will be more interesting.

D
D
Sort of a 21st century re-conceptualization of a Rhodes - very true. I owned a 76-note Fender Rhodes years ago and loved it but would I want it to replace any of my acoustic or digital pianos? Absolutely not!

It's kinda funny how we plead with everyone to "please try before you buy!" even a $500 dp, but are very quick to throw that advice out the window because...

Maybe I'm old and have gotten excited once too many times but I've been disappointed with too many small acoustic pianos and most digital pianos to jump up and down before actually playing one. I would like very much to be wrong!

A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
I don't see the Rhodes parallel at all! If you're going to compare it to a Rhodes (no sound board, insignificant volume unless amplified), a closer match would be a Yamaha Electric Grand or a Baldwin Electropiano. At least those used strings, and sounded more like pianos than vibes. ;-)

D
D
I believe Sweelinck was just referring to Fender's claim when they came out with the Rhodes and not any kind of a direct comparison between the 2.

D
D
I personally can't wait to read your reviews after having owned this piano!

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I don't see the Rhodes parallel at all! If you're going to compare it to a Rhodes (no sound board, insignificant volume unless amplified), a closer match would be a Yamaha Electric Grand or a Baldwin Electropiano. At least those used strings, and sounded more like pianos than vibes. ;-)
Well, I said "sort of". The parallel is in reducing the size and weight of a piano to make it portable.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
A
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A
Ah, yes. That was the inventor's intent. Kind of like how a mellotron was supposed to provide the sounds of orchestration. Neither sounded like what it was designed to emulate, but both ended up becoming classic sounds in their own right!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Defects:

- only 69 keys; that's limiting for serious classical piano learning...
- just 1 pedal; that's limiting for serious classical piano learning...
- only 1 string per note;
- the upper range has very short sustain, as in a cheap upright;
- I fear it has poor dynamics (as in cheap uprights).
- no dust cover;

My conclusion:
For about the same money a digital piano is better. For example, a Kawai CA59 or a Yamaha CLP745. And if you want an acoustic, you can find some great deals in the used market. So, IMHO, if they don't fix the above issues I think that product is doomed to fail.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Maybe it should be considered a (piano family related) instrument of its own.

But for many it could a substitute for an upright. Even those are sometimes found to be unnecessary loud for living rooms in small(ish) apartments and then their sound is muffled by the "practice pedal".

There was a tiny "Fazer Mignon" spinet decades ago. A few variants actually, I guess, but never full 88 keys. They were probably awful in all ways: not nice to play, not good sounding, difficult to tune, not quite portable despite the compromises made etc.

[Linked Image]

Apparently this is what looks like in flames:

[Linked Image]

(From http://www.containedmusic.fi/)

😁

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That could happen when you play and smoke at the same time and you play too strong on the keys.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I expected this to sound like sh1t (honky-tonk) but it's actually a very nice and ethereal harp-like sound because of the single strings. Apparently not the best thing for the hardcore classical repertoire although it can be adapted to work for anything from baroque to early romanticism. It's also very good as an instrument on its own. You should judge it not as a replacement for a nice piano. It can't replace a real piano. But it's a perfectly useable and idiosyncratic instrument for composers and arrangers of (improvised) modern music, as well as a home keyboard that won't bother the neighbors. I'm fascinated by that instrument 👏🏻

Last edited by CyberGene; 11/27/20 11:42 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission