2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (Blague, ambrozy, 36251, 8ude, Abdol, Beemer, accordeur, 21 invisible), 956 guests, and 578 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Baldwin 1997 Model 227 (Model R) advice please
terminaldegree #3049550 11/25/20 10:59 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
If there are no buzzes from the soundboard, the bridge cracks are far more concerning to my eye.

Retsacnal, here’s a quote from Del. I assumed this was of a similar design— it looks exactly like the issue he describes:

“Baldwin grands do have a propensity for split bridges. When the SF-10 and SD-10 models were introduced they also started using vertically laminated bridges with no caps. Most of the time this worked but sometimes it didn’t. When it didn’t the bridges developed cracks in the areas where the bridge pins more-or-less paralleled the lamination lines. Usually these cracks are confined to the upper part of the top treble section.”

I agree. The small crack in the soundboard seems negligible, but still noticeable to a keen eye.

Also, the small cracks in the bridge, near the bridge pins, exactly as Del's quote describe in TD's post, does seem to be more of a concern. I just went to my music room and checked the bridges on my Baldwin R (which I've already done numerous times, but did it again just to be sure) and did not see any inkling of a crack. (Thank goodness)

I do think the bridge cracks can be repaired by a good technician experienced at such repairs. Or, if the cracks do not currently affect tone or the tuning, and don't get any worse, it might be okay.

I'm not sure one would want to throw the baby (grand:-) out with the bath water, but there is certainly room for further negotiations, in my view.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Elle789 #3049557 11/26/20 01:02 AM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
I missed the picture link earlier.

I wouldn't pay the asking price given the condition.
I think that the dealer should make the repairs, or discount it steeply.

January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month
Elle789 #3051453 11/30/20 09:55 PM
E
Elle789 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks so much to everyone here. Spoke with the dealers head tech today. He says I shouldn’t consider the soundboard cracks a problem. On the bridge cracks, he says I should also not see this as a problem because the pins are stable because: (1) they are much longer than the parts that stick out, so the longer part is stable, (2) the wood has settled around the pin further holding it in place, (3) the strings are holding the pins in too, and the cracks are going the right way - it would be bad if they were parallel with the strings. He says it’s actually better to leave as is than do an epoxy repair. In fact he said i can request a repair but I’d be on the line to pay it (approx $500). The agreed-upon price that was already charged to my credit card, pending satisfactory inspection is $6400 which includes everything, tax, delivery, first in home tuning, 100% lifetime trade up and 5-year warranty. They aren’t budging on the price despite these issues being unknown at the time of the sale, their reason being the price is so good they can’t come down any further because of what they own it for. Would the head tech’s description make you all feel comfortable taking it? Btw I know the trade up sounds good and that’s how they stand behind their pianos but I just want to enjoy my piano without the headaches.

In the meantime I also just tried a 2002 Yamaha GC1 in what seemed to me great shape (to be inspected) for $8500 from a private party. Is this a good price? Would you forget about the Baldwin if this one checks out when inspected? I acknowledge it’s comparing apples to oranges but my budget doesn’t give me a lot of options and I’d rather choose one of these than keep looking during COVID, as I know I’d be very happy with either one of these. Looking forward to your thoughts! Thank you!

Elle789 #3051465 11/30/20 10:35 PM

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Odd that they're willing to take even more of your money to fix a "non problem." Sounds unethical to me.

This is why you hire a 3rd party technician who represents your interests, not the dealer's.

I would look for a piano without cracks.

January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month
Elle789 #3051467 11/30/20 10:38 PM
Hello, Elle789,

All the dealer said about the Baldwin R 227, the crack in the soundboard and the small cracks in the treble bridge, are indeed putting a positive (glass half full) spin on the situation. Kind of like a used car salesperson telling you that the dent in the fender, or the crack in the windshield gives the vehicle character. And, the fact that they refuse to budge on the price seems to be prompting you in different direction.

Regarding what the dealer said about the price, I have seen those later model Baldwin R Art Case models listed for sale at a higher price than the dealer is asking, but I assume they did not have the cracks in the soundboard or bridges; those are not minor defects, even if they are "stable" as the dealer says.

Also, saying that the Baldwin R 227 is already discounted heavily may well have some merit. But unless you really love that Baldwin R 227, everything about it, but the defects, I believe I'd look a little closer at the Yamaha GC1. I know the 100% lifetime trade-up policy seems enticing, but you want a piano you can love now, not something else in the future.

If the Baldwin R 227 was in such an environment, or experienced wide swings in humidity, which could have caused the cracks in the first place, there may well be other defects lurking elsewhere beneath the surface.

I agree with Retsacnal, I would expect further discounts on the Baldwin R, and I certainly would not pay an additional $500 to repair the bridge cracks, which the dealer insists are not an issue.

But the choice is yours! Buy the piano you like the best, and one you will be happy with, whether the Baldwin R, the Yamaha GC1 or other.

Good luck, and keep us informed! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Elle789 #3051532 12/01/20 07:08 AM
E
Elle789 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you Rick and Retsacnal for the patient and sage advice!! Will let you know how my search ends!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Korg announcements in a few days...
by clothearednincompo - 01/15/21 12:17 PM
Estonia 190
by Walkman - 01/15/21 12:02 PM
My 'Gentle' and 'quieter' tuning technique
by Beemer - 01/15/21 10:46 AM
The Yamaha CFX ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/15/21 10:39 AM
Hello, I'm back.
by CarlosCC - 01/15/21 10:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,263
Posts3,046,923
Members100,063
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission