2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
102 members (Beemer, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, ambrozy, Abdol, Animisha, anotherpianoplayer, akc42, 23 invisible), 583 guests, and 591 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
HELP with VST
#3049529 11/25/20 09:14 PM
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I play classical music on a casio GP-400 (keeping fingers crossed that this won't devolve into bashing casio for calling this a hybrid!)... I really like it, but I was interested in trying a VST, largely to see if I could get increased sustain (a known issue with casio's midrange tones) and also a larger range of volumes..... mainly to give me better control of dynamics in the ppp to p range....

Unfortunately, my 'requirements' may not line up with those of most experts on VSTs. I would something very simple in terms of setup and gear. I have a powerful laptop (PC), I have a 'printer' cable to connect the piano to a computer, and I have audio cables. I would LIKE to be able to sit down and play and have the VST tone play the sound through the piano speakers. And I really would like, if possible, to start with something inexpensive, because I'm not certain that I'd stick with it unless it represents a real improvement.

SO..... what do I need to buy? Just a software program? Is there other 'gear' or multiple programs that are to be purchased? I'm really quite clueless about this....

EDIT: I should add that I am really intrigued by the following, which would mean a very low-cost entry into using a VST.... but I don't know if I am 'missing' something about what I woudl need to buy....

https://www.productionvoices.com/sforzando-libraries/

Last edited by Eli26; 11/25/20 09:17 PM.
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: HELP with VST
Eli26 #3049530 11/25/20 09:20 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Eli26,

I think you can start off connecting your laptop's USB and audio to your Casio, then downloading the Pianoteq trial version, and seeing how you get on.

This hardware and software should be sufficient to get a feel for software pianos, and if you enjoy the experience you can either consider purchasing Pianoteq, or trying one of the many other sample library packages.

Best of luck!

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Eli26 #3049535 11/25/20 09:34 PM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
There are free piano VSTs available. Search YouTube for same.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
Eli26 #3049547 11/25/20 10:42 PM
J
J
For a completely free setup I suggest downloading the sfz/sf2 player called "sforzando" from Plogue to your laptop.
https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html
Next step is to download the free audio driver called ASIO4ALL which will reduce or eliminate the latency between hitting a key on your Casio and receiving the sound back from the PC.
http://www.asio4all.org/
Finally try out a few free sfz or sf2 instrument sounds. I've got lots of free ones on my site you are welcome to try.
https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
The one called Essential Keys-sforzando-v9.5 has everything from pianos, EPs, Strings, Orchestral and Guitars.
The pianos are multi-velocity layered sampled so I'd expect you will get better touch response than you are getting on the Casio.

Last edited by Jonky Ponky; 11/25/20 10:47 PM.
Eli26 #3049559 11/26/20 01:09 AM
O
O
Asio4all isn't always a good starting point. My native Windows 10 drivers with my laptop offered better performance than Asio4all. Your buffer may vary etc. smile

Kawai James #3049566 11/26/20 02:19 AM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Eli26,

I think you can start off connecting your laptop's USB and audio to your Casio, then downloading the Pianoteq trial version, and seeing how you get on.
. . .

+1.

I suggest downloading ASIO4ALL, as well. You might be lucky in using Windows standard drivers, but many of us have found them to be slow.

_If_ the DP has a "Line In" or "Audio In" jack(s), you'll only need an appropriate cable (or cables), to get from your computer's stereo headphone jack, to the "Line In" jack(s) of the DP.

Stay in touch, the path may not be smooth.

PS-- it _does_ have Left and Right-channel "Line In" jacks. So you'll need a cable with a 1/8" stereo headphone plug (TRS) on one end, and two _monophonic_ (TS) 1/4" plugs on the other end. A "splitter cable", from any music or audio-equipment store or Amazon.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 11/26/20 02:25 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Eli26 #3049926 11/26/20 10:12 PM
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for all the advice. I started with pianoteq demo on my older laptop (left my faster laptop at work). Didn't mess around with alternate drivers yet. So far, two issues:
(1) some latency. Keyboard feels sluggish. Didn't bother me playing slower piece. Fast piece wasn't good. Hoping this can be fixed with better driver (or perhaps faster laptop).
(2) much bigger issue: the input on the casio gp400 is noisy. Really noisy, staticcy (especially at higher volumes) with distortion at higher volume as well. Not sure if better cables would fix this, I suspect it's the DP, on which case this is a warranty issue..... perhaps better cables solve it? (I tried two different cables..... neither was very expensive but they had the same issue so I suspect its the piano. And direct output from the audio jack on the computer was clean ( tested with headphones)

Any ideas wound be appreciated.

Eli26 #3049947 11/26/20 11:53 PM
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I think I've waited too long to edit my last post, but I'd lie to add two things:
1) It seems like a LOT of the noise was due to multiple electrical devices being plugged into the same outlet. I've eliminated ALMOST all of the hissing and static by getting rid of the other devices. It seems like the remaining static/hiss is directly attributable to the USB cable, because that hiss disappears when the USB cable is disconnected from the computer and appears whenever the USB cable is plugged in. Not sure what, if anything can be done about that (the USB port is on the opposite side as the audio output port on the computer, so it's not about proximity to the audio cable.
2) I've noticed another issue (ugh!). On pianoteq, keys are cutting out. Not sure what to do about that.... what settings can avoid this?

Last edited by Eli26; 11/27/20 12:01 AM.
Eli26 #3049960 11/27/20 01:35 AM
O
O
I find Pianoteq quite resource hungry. Download Addictive keys from XLN audio it's a free demo. See if the hiss/dropouts continue.
https://www.xlnaudio.com/demos

Studio grand, still a nice VST, not as tweak able as Pianoteq.

Eli26 #3049961 11/27/20 01:37 AM
O
O
Next is to switch out your Windows audio driver. You might find Asio4all a better alternative to whatever you are running at the moment. Particularly if you have a Realtek audio chipset

Eli26 #3049962 11/27/20 01:43 AM
O
O
Your latency can be addressed by decreasing your buffer size in audio settings. You want the lowest setting possible without crackling or sound anomolys.
You certainly don't want a half second pause between playing the note and hearing it.

Eli26 #3049993 11/27/20 04:31 AM
_
_
> It seems like the remaining static/hiss is directly attributable to the USB cable, because that hiss disappears when the USB cable is disconnected from the computer and appears whenever the USB cable is plugged in.

It may be a ground loop. These can be tricky. Old MIDI connections have isolated ground.

Eli26 #3049997 11/27/20 04:52 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eli26
2) I've noticed another issue (ugh!). On pianoteq, keys are cutting out. Not sure what to do about that.... what settings can avoid this?

In the demo-version of Pianoteq, certain keys are silent at all times (they are not silent in the paid versions). Maybe this is what you are referring to. If not, could you explain in a bit more detail what "keys are cutting out" means?

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
QuasiUnaFantasia #3050031 11/27/20 07:18 AM
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

In the demo-version of Pianoteq, certain keys are silent at all times (they are not silent in the paid versions). Maybe this is what you are referring to. If not, could you explain in a bit more detail what "keys are cutting out" means?

Notes which sound are cutoff (ie they just stop) when I continue playing.

Eli26 #3050038 11/27/20 07:51 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Notes which sound are cutoff (ie they just stop) when I continue playing.

Hmm, that's odd. Maybe the polyphony is set too low, so that "old" tones are silenced, when "new" tones are added. You can increase the polyphony in the "Perf" section (via the "Options" button).

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Eli26 #3050148 11/27/20 01:55 PM
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Playing around I think the cutoff notes have been eliminated. However, the two issues are (1) noises getting into the audio cable. I am not sure what can be done about this, however, I will be ordering those ferrite things that you add to the cables to suppress electrical interference. And (2) there's distortion at higher volumes. This distortion appears to be more pronouced through headphones as opposed to the speakers, but it appears even with speakers as well. It is not affected by buffer size (ie maximizing buffers didnt help.) IN the meantime I love the resonance of the pianoteq bluthner, but just as I'm getting into it, distortion destroys things! Argh! (Haven't gotten sforzando to work yet, will try that soon).
Any specific advice would be great, especially (but not exclusively!) if you have the same digital piano (ie a casio grand H-word).

Eli26 #3050197 11/27/20 03:53 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Eli, what version are you trying? 7.0? Some folks have tried it and it seems by default it has some issues and it needs to be tamed. I would try 6.7 instead. Unfortunately, I do not see a link to download 6.7.

So you should try some of the variations of the instruments, there are some that are drier (less effects and embelishments) than others. I haven't haven't tried 7.0 as yet, maybe somebody that did could give more thorough advice.

I hope this helps.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Online lessons suggestion/recommend
ations/experiences?

by Javaslinger - 01/26/21 01:32 PM
What’s the best Fender Rhodes VST?
by RinTin - 01/26/21 01:09 PM
mp7es recording
by Colette2 - 01/26/21 01:00 PM
Log Sheets to Track Scale & Arpeggio Practice
by Talão - 01/26/21 12:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,571
Posts3,051,806
Members100,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission