2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, BlakeOR, chopin_r_us, antune, aphexdisklavier, AcousticAndre, 36251, 17 invisible), 646 guests, and 451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
I was trying to think of examples where composers used the same music in two different pieces (but not including transcriptions they made of one of their pieces). I could only think of a few examples:
Rachmaninov used the opening of his Romance for 6 hands in his Piano Concerto No.2.

Schubert used a theme from an earlier sonata in A major as the theme for the Rondo of his Sonata D959.

Beethoven used a motive from his Eroica Synphony for his Eroica Variations Op. 35.

My guess is there are many more examples like this. Can you add to the list?

S
S
Schubert "Trout" is the first thing that comes to mind for me...

OP Online Content
That reminded me of Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy and song of the same title.

S
S
It also kind of depends on how strict you are on “same” music. Mozart for example like to use that “Mozart’s in the closet” motive, or similar. And one of the themes from the piano concerto 21 that sounds like a theme from one of his horn concertos etc.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Chopin Nocturne op 20 and second piano concerto third movement

Last edited by dogperson; 11/25/20 08:49 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
B
B
The Baroque composers were all very thrifty, and recycled their own music all the time, as well as recycling other composers' music for their own devious, er, I mean, environmentally-friendly ends.

Viv's quadruple violin concerto turned into Bach's Quadruple Keyboard Concerto. Alessandro Marcello's Oboe Concerto turned into Bach's keyboard work. And so on.

Handel was a master at recycling. For example, in Messiah, "Unto us a child is born" and "All we like sheep" came from Nò, di voi non-vo' fidarmi; and Se tu non-lasci amore from 1722 became the basis of "O Death, where is thy sting?"; "His yoke is easy" and "And he shall purify" were drawn from Quel fior che alla'ride. And his famous aria Lascia ch'io pianga had two previous incarnations - first as a sarabande from Almira, then as an aria in Il trionfo del Tempo e della Verità before its most well-known form in Rinaldo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKo_EmfEPWs

And not a lot of people know that Beethoven's Op.49/2 Minuet was re-used in his Septet's Minuet.

Schumann re-used a theme from Papillons in Carnaval.

Lots, lots more......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
S
S
Also, you didn’t specify whether or not the musical material is necessarily original. If not, then you have for example Rachmaninoff using dies irae in several settings.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bach's Cantata #156 chorale made it into the slow movements of 2 concertos: BWV1056 in Fm for keyboard and BWV1059 in Dm (oboe solo). Various arrangements of the piece under the title "Arioso".

Some of the hymns in a Bach's oratorio get recycled in another in different keys.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
....Rachmaninov used the opening of his Romance for 6 hands in his Piano Concerto No.2.

Schubert used a theme from an earlier sonata in A major as the theme for the Rondo of his Sonata D959.

Beethoven used a motive from his Eroica Synphony for his Eroica Variations Op. 35.

Good examples. The Beethoven and the Schubert came to mind for me right away, and I didn't think of any others.
I didn't know about the Rachmaninoff.

BTW, Beethoven also used that theme in the Prometheus ballet -- and actually (I didn't know this before -- only saw it just now when I went to check) the Prometheus came before both the Variations and the Symphony.

P
P
Beethoven's Op. 2 No. 3 (1st mvt) and Op. 2 No. 1 (2nd mvt) use material from his earlier Piano Quartet, WoO 36 No. 3. And that Eroica theme appears yet again as No. 7 of the 12 Contredanses, WoO 14. Beethoven really loved that tune.

B
BDB Offline
B
The last movement of Mozart's Concerto #27 uses the melody from his song "Komm, Lieber Mai."

Semipro Tech
P
P
A melody from Beethoven's Gegenliebe is used prominently in the Choral Fantasy. And I just discovered that a different section of the Prometheus finale was refashioned as No. 11 of the 12 Contredanses.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Bach reused many of his themes from one piece into another. For example the opening of cantata 29 which is also used in the violon partita 3 prelude. He borrowed quite a few pieces from other composers as well.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Bach reused many of his themes from one piece into another. For example the opening of cantata 29 which is also used in the violon partita 3 prelude.
Thanks. That explains my confusion on seeing Rachmaninov's transcription listed as a transcription from the violin partita and some other transcriber saying it was a transcription from the cantata.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Schumann's Ghost Variations theme is taken from his violin concerto, although he didn't recognise it owing to the deterioration of his mental faculties.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mitsuko Uchida has suggested that the Arietta from Beethoven's Op.111 may have started out as one of his Diabelli Variations before taking on a life of its own. I can hear the similarity.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Bach reused many of his themes from one piece into another. For example the opening of cantata 29 which is also used in the violon partita 3 prelude. He borrowed quite a few pieces from other composers as well.

Also the amazing Gratias Agimus Tibi from the B minor mass is from an early cantata, but I forgot which.

A
A
I know this is not what you're looking for, since it's a rearrangement of an own existing work, but Liszt's famous "Liebestraum Nr. 3" is a solo reworking of the song "O lieb, solang du lieben kannst". A very moving text:
O love, o love, as long as you can love
O love, o love, as long as you may love
The hour will come,
When you will stand by graves and mourn.

Full translation here.

I love this recording- Cyrille Dubois and Tristan Raës are fantastic musicians:

An example from the orchestral repertoire: Mahler's song "St Anthony's sermon to the fish" later became the scherzo of his 2nd symphony:

(poor quality recording, but chose it for the subtitles).

B
B
Mahler certainly re-used many themes from earlier songs (from Das Knaben Wunderhorn) in his symphonies.

The finale of his 4th (a child's vision of heaven) is a song that he originally wrote seven years earlier, for instance: in fact, the whole symphony is built around that song Das himmlische Leben.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,396
Posts3,084,136
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission