2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (DDobs, Belma, EPW, Bluthendorfer, AndrewJCW, Carey, Baltguy, DigitalMusicProduc, 9 invisible), 525 guests, and 492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Changed my tune about "Get a Teacher!"
Sebs #3049138 11/24/20 07:15 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sebs
Good to be open to other ways of learning and that's awesome you can learn that many at once! And I will also add I think we can do away with the "ask your teacher" reply too. laugh laugh laugh

I'll remember never to tell you "ask your teacher" in response to one of your posts! LOL.😂

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
WeakLeftHand #3049141 11/24/20 07:30 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Without a teacher you either get no corrections/comments/feedback on your playing or, I assume, minimal comments if feedback is included as part of an online course. I can't imagine that one receives the typical one hour of feedback one would get in a weekly private lessons even if "feedback" is included in an online course.

No, it’s not the same amount of feedback as a one hour weekly lesson with a teacher in person. I’m well aware of the benefits of in-person lessons with a teacher. There’s no argument there. But that’s not really the point. The point is, in a situation where a private teacher is not accessible for whatever reason, one makes due with what they can get. And for me at the moment, it’s video exchange. My understanding is that we are asked to limit our videos to 15 minutes or 20, depending on the package, and the instructor will reply via video. I haven’t submitted any yet so I don’t know how long her feedback video is.
I don't think anyone's ever said learning from a teacher is the only way to learn or that learning online or from books is of no value. What most people have always said is that it's not nearly as efficient and close to impossible to reach a high level without a teacher.

WeakLeftHand #3049204 11/25/20 12:51 AM
J
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
J
I’ve made the most progress in my piano education whenever I had the opportunity to work with a GOOD teacher and these were almost always the teachers who had high expectations of themselves as performers and it typically showed in the level of education they themselves sought. I spent far too many years teaching myself and though I had fun the real music and the real understanding of the essence of this beautiful art didn’t until I found a good teacher. I’ve only had about 6 years in total now working with piano teachers. I returned to lessons 2 and a half years ago after about a 15 year absence. I wish I could turn back the clock and had done this right much sooner in my life, but life got in the way. It’s never a waste of time when you find a qualified teacher. You can have fun and be taught the right way at the same time.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
Chopin: G Minor Ballade

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
WeakLeftHand #3049230 11/25/20 04:25 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
[quote=WeakLeftHandWell, I too hadn't realized that classical guitar existed until not too long ago, so you're not alone. It's not a very popular medium I would say and has a limited repertoire indeed.[/quote]

In fact the repertoire is not that limited. There is a number of composers, like Boccherini who wrote for Quintet and guitar. There are also like with Piano and Harpsichord, a number of related instruments, more or less different like the Luth, Theorbe or Mandolin. The repertoire is not as extensive as the piano, but there is nevertheless a significant number of pieces like Falla, Albéniz, Ferdinand Sor, Rodrigo, Moreno Torroba,…. And also a number of transcriptions from keyboard, cello, violin (Scarlatti, Vivaldi, Granados, Bach, ….).

Sidokar #3049293 11/25/20 09:00 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sidokar
In fact the repertoire is not that limited. There is a number of composers, like Boccherini who wrote for Quintet and guitar. There are also like with Piano and Harpsichord, a number of related instruments, more or less different like the Luth, Theorbe or Mandolin. The repertoire is not as extensive as the piano, but there is nevertheless a significant number of pieces like Falla, Albéniz, Ferdinand Sor, Rodrigo, Moreno Torroba,…. And also a number of transcriptions from keyboard, cello, violin (Scarlatti, Vivaldi, Granados, Bach, ….).

I see. So practically speaking, whatever repertoire exists is definitely more than I can learn in my lifetime!

I’m surprised so many here are classical guitarists!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 11/25/20 09:01 AM.

Kawai K-500
WeakLeftHand #3049432 11/25/20 03:09 PM
B
B

I see. So practically speaking, whatever repertoire exists is definitely more than I can learn in my lifetime!

There is a closely guarded secret among classical guitarists: most of their rep is piano music - especially Spanish piano music. (For many guitarists, all their rep is arrangements of pieces composed for other instruments.)

For example, Albéniz and Granados (whose piano music is very popular with classical guitarists - many of whom won't have a solo concert career without them) composed absolutely nothing for guitar, but a lot for piano. And Manuel de Falla only composed one piece for guitar, which is not very popular, even among guitarists.

One more trade secret: Albéniz's and Granados' piano music actually sounds better on piano, despite attempts by classical guitarists to convince the public that pieces like Asturias and Cordoba are actually guitar music in disguise. I've performed them for audiences who haven't heard them before (on any instrument) and they were surprised when I told them afterwards that they are much more often played on guitar than on piano, because to their innocent ears, they don't sound at all like guitar music.....

So, that's why I'm glad I stuck with piano, rather than try to convert from pop guitarist to classical. Because I can play guitar music on the piano that sounds like piano music, as well as piano music (and lots of other music) that sounds like, er, piano music. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIllF1tdqZk

WeakLeftHand #3049464 11/25/20 05:24 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Yes, there is enough to play for you, original pieces or arrangements. The classical guitar is a beautiful instrument, very refined with a lot of possible nuances, and extremely difficult to master technically.

The luth is a different instrument but there is a large repertoire for it, should you like this style of music. Here is a little vid of a piece by Charles Mouton.

https://youtu.be/25lNBNdyfhA

Besides the legacy of Andres Segovia, there are plenty of young guitar players now. Here is 2 vids playing Agustin Mangore and Francisco Tarrega.

https://youtu.be/dmc6KV0_UVM

https://youtu.be/P7ZLcUYzvnc

Sidokar #3049467 11/25/20 05:33 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by bennevis
So, that's why I'm glad I stuck with piano, rather than try to convert from pop guitarist to classical. Because I can play guitar music on the piano that sounds like piano music, as well as piano music (and lots of other music) that sounds like, er, piano music. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIllF1tdqZk

That link is interesting. I didn't realize it was piano at first. Thought it was guitar!

Besides the legacy of Andres Segovia, there are plenty of young guitar players now. Here is 2 vids playing Agustin Mangore and Francisco Tarrega.

https://youtu.be/dmc6KV0_UVM

https://youtu.be/P7ZLcUYzvnc

Well, maybe one day...a very BIG MAYBE though lol. But yeah, this is the kind of music that drew me to the guitar in the first place.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 11/25/20 05:34 PM.

Kawai K-500
WeakLeftHand #3049507 11/25/20 08:09 PM
S
S
Good to be open to other ways of learning and that's awesome you can learn that many at once! And I will also add I think we can do away with the "ask your teacher" reply too. laugh laugh laugh

I'll remember never to tell you "ask your teacher" in response to one of your posts! LOL.😂

haha I'm just messing around I just feel like anytime I post I should preface it with "I already asked my teacher...." and let's see we give it a few years soon I'll be saying "ask your teacher" to others.

Sebs #3049514 11/25/20 08:26 PM
B
B

haha I'm just messing around I just feel like anytime I post I should preface it with "I already asked my teacher...." and let's see we give it a few years soon I'll be saying "ask your teacher" to others.
Don't people ask Mr Google these days? After all, in my experience, people ask Dr Google if they get an unexpected pain (or itch) in a part of their bodies they never knew existed......

(Disclaimer: other search engines are available.)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #3049816 11/26/20 04:18 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by bennevis

Don't people ask Mr Google these days? After all, in my experience, people ask Dr Google if they get an unexpected pain (or itch) in a part of their bodies they never knew existed......

(Disclaimer: other search engines are available.)

Haha but be careful what you google next thing you know you have every disease. I do google plenty but google doesn’t provide motivation, suggestions, or know your level. That’s one thing I love about this forum is I feel like members somewhat get familiar with one another and also provide support and great advice. I’d probably have gave up or took a big break had I not been here daily.

WeakLeftHand #3049844 11/26/20 05:15 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Without a teacher you either get no corrections/comments/feedback on your playing or, I assume, minimal comments if feedback is included as part of an online course. I can't imagine that one receives the typical one hour of feedback one would get in a weekly private lessons even if "feedback" is included in an online course.

No, it’s not the same amount of feedback as a one hour weekly lesson with a teacher in person. I’m well aware of the benefits of in-person lessons with a teacher. There’s no argument there. But that’s not really the point. The point is, in a situation where a private teacher is not accessible for whatever reason, one makes due with what they can get. And for me at the moment, it’s video exchange. My understanding is that we are asked to limit our videos to 15 minutes or 20, depending on the package, and the instructor will reply via video. I haven’t submitted any yet so I don’t know how long her feedback video is.

I am taking weekly private piano lessons that are online during the pandemic, and they involve a live lesson by Zoom. Feedback is immediate! For myself, I can't imagine trying to seriously study piano without a teacher.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha or Rolan Or William rhapsody
by Belma - 01/15/21 11:22 PM
Kawai GX2 vs Shimmel 180
by tony3304 - 01/15/21 10:51 PM
N3X Lid Pin Sticking Out?
by tierce_de_picardie - 01/15/21 07:45 PM
Polyester finish Yammy
by bill miller - 01/15/21 07:29 PM
Stack of Thirds Temperament
by Seeker - 01/15/21 07:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,279
Posts3,047,119
Members100,069
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission