2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've just bought meself another Ideapad, same as what I'm typing on now.which I shall use exclusively for Pianoteq. A neat soundless wonder which springs into life the moment the piano is played.
And it's blue. You can't get a blue Macbook can you? grin

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by CyberGene
P.P.S. A gold one appeared on the website and I grabbed it laugh Not a huge fan of the gold color but not bad either. Will try to get it myself later today, or wait for it to be delivered tomorrow.

Awesome looking forward to your evaluation of Garritan CFX. smile

S
S
Originally Posted by giu
Lot's of excitement for a processor. The fundamental question is: what's the pivot length? whistle

About 5 nanometers.

Last edited by Svennig; 11/25/20 09:11 AM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Svennig
Originally Posted by giu
Lot's of excitement for a processor. The fundamental question is: what's the pivot length? whistle

About 5 nanometers.

We are sick!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Svennig
Originally Posted by giu

About 5 nanometers.

🤣

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, many trading houses have their real time trading applications written in Java, so it can be very fast and efficient.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by VladK
Actually, many trading houses have their real time trading applications written in Java, so it can be very fast and efficient.

Java is a poorly designed ripoff of Smalltalk. Interpreted languages like Smalltalk and Java can perform fast enough given the speed of today’s processors.

Of course, real-time has many different meanings. What may be fast enough in the trading environment may not be fast enough in robotics.

Kapital, the world’s largest derivatives trading system at JP Morgan Chase, is largely written in Smalltalk.

See: https://www.cincom.com/pdf/CS040819-1.pdf

Last edited by LarryK; 11/25/20 12:23 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boboulus
The new M1 macs are supposed to handle ram much better and Garritan is really ram-heavy. Would be interesting to know if 8GB might be enough or if you need to go for 16bg.
Some people here get better performance using very low RAM so one can't assume more is necessary. There are some memory issues in Garritan so RAM requirements seem system dependent. Let someone try on a M1 and let you know.

K
kiwibd Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm almost 99% decided to go purchase the entry-level Air today, it just became available at our local distributor. If that happens (I'm currently backing up my MacBook 12" to reinstall and give it to my wife but it will take many hours), I will try Garritan CFX and will get you posted.

P.S. Just checked again and it's sold out already frown

Oh yes please let us know if you can test it out! Garritan CFX is exactly the VST I am using smile

Last edited by kiwibd; 11/25/20 01:41 PM.
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Interesting threads but I went in the opposite direction.

For the last 13 years, I used macosx, I have a iMac 2007, a Macbook Pro 2009 and a MacPro 2009. This summer, because of the covid, I needed a new Mac mini and I couldn't wait for the M1 so I bought a PC. For half the price of a Mac mini, I got a more powerful PC and I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance of Windows 10. As a bonus my old scanner and photo printer are working again.

Should I move Pianoteq and my VST to windows 10 ? And retired my iMac ?
I don't think I will get an M1 soon because they are not upgradable.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by LarryK
Yesterday, I received a 12.9” iPad Pro for note taking at work. Notability is a good note taking product but sadly it does not seem to import the PDFs from my Sony Digital Paper. I love the Apple Pencil. A lot of my thought processes cannot be shoe horned into a keyboard. When paired with the Magic keyboard, the iPads are credible computers.

+1. Especially forScore on 12.9" iPad Pro makes for an excellent sheet music viewer.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
P.P.S. A gold one appeared on the website and I grabbed it laugh Not a huge fan of the gold color but not bad either. Will try to get it myself later today, or wait for it to be delivered tomorrow.
Looking forward to your review.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newer player
Some people here get better performance using very low RAM so one can't assume more is necessary. There are some memory issues in Garritan so RAM requirements seem system dependent. Let someone try on a M1 and let you know.
For clarity, I mean setting the following Garritan menu items for low RAM usage:
Inst Disk Pre-Caching -
Max Engine RAM allocation -

Setting these low probably requires less RAM.
Per Garritan's web site, "4 GB RAM minimum required. 8 GB RAM or greater recommended."

The full install requires 133GB of SSD space; but most people seem to just use the classical default perspective, so can remove all the other mics and reduce SSD space requirements. Apple's SSDs are typically very high performance so if you have the space (wealth) to keep the VIs on the internal drive you might see better performance than you would with an external drive. YMMV.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
There is a thread on VSL forum about compatibility of Synchron Pianos: https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t56756-Synchron-Pianos-on-ARM-Macs#post299695. Looks like we need to wait a while to let developers work on QT and eLicenser compatibility for VSL. Until then I will not upgrade.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by giu

Apple should make a DP, give us that 26cm pivot.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The MacBook Air M1 just arrived. The very first impression is it's very snappy.

(I also love the new keyboard which has firmer touch and deeper key travel. So much easier to type on. AFAIK this keyboard has been used on the latest MacBook-s, so it's not new, but for me is. I hate the butterfly keys).

I'll try later to install Garritan CFX and will let you know.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
That was quick!

Incidentally, I watched a particularly well made video analysing Apple's path towards the M1. I expect many PianoWorld members will already be well aware of many of the topics discussed in this video, but may still find it insightful:

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The MacBook Air M1 just arrived. The very first impression is it's very snappy.

(I also love the new keyboard which has firmer touch and deeper key travel. So much easier to type on. AFAIK this keyboard has been used on the latest MacBook-s, so it's not new, but for me is. I hate the butterfly keys).

I'm not trying to be contrary (honestly😀😀😀), but I actually prefer the butterfly keys to the recent ones (on the MacBook Pro at least). Apart from the fact that I have to have my keyboard replaced soon... I do like the feel of them though.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
^ Well, when I initially got my MacBook 12" with the butterfly keyboard in 2015, I kind of liked it. Maybe because it was something new, also pretty quiet to type, very compact. Later on I also got my company MacBook Pro with the butterfly keyboard. And since it's my main computer and the keyboard gets a lot of bashing, it started failing: keys would repeat on a single press, keys would miss keystrokes, keys would stop working, then fix by themselves and then some other would do that. I've had the keyboard being replaced once a year ago and it started doing that again. Comparing the new (old) scissor mechanism to the butterfly now gives me a breath of fresh air. But ultimately I prefer the scissor. But yeah, it's a matter of taste, I agree smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 11/26/20 06:06 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
That was quick!

Incidentally, I watched a particularly well made video analysing Apple's path towards the M1. I expect many PianoWorld member will already be well aware of many of the topics discussed in this video, but may still find it insightful:

Kind regards,
James
x

I am subscribed to Coldfusion, so I had watched that video a couple of days ago. They always make great, weel-researched videos. Nothing really new for geeks that follow these topics, but well put together.

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission