2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Abdol
If Yamaha eliminated SCM, it could substitute it with another engine from P-515. Korg, Kawai, Roland almost everyone is doing it.
SCM, as we were talking about on those piano samples, seems to have essentially been a kind of data-saving compression mechanism. Not an engine, and I'm not sure what kind of "engine" you think could have been added from the P515 instead... I guess you mean maybe the VRM feature? That and the binaural sample are probably the main software enhancements of the P515, though with binaural's technological advantage being based on headphone playback, it might not be such a marketing advantage in a gigging piano. It still could be nice to have, though. What are the comparable "engines" (or whatever you were referring to) that "almost everyone else is doing"? Are you talking about the resonances?

No sonic technological difference between the technology in CP-88 and a PSR-E series which is $200.
I can't speak to that specifically, I'm not very familiar with the PSRs. I wouldn't be surprised, though, because that's consistent with Yamaha's approach as I've generally seen it. Yamaha tends to use the same sounds (or subsets/supersets of the same sounds) in many boards throughout the price range, differentiating the models more by features than by sonic technologies. Kurzweil, Nord, and Dexibell do the same... even their lower priced boards often have many of the same sounds and technologies that are in their high end boards. This is a bit different from the way Roland and Korg have traditionally differentiated their boards, where different boards more often have very different sounds or sound engines (the trade-off being that while a cheaper board may lack the sound technologies of a higher end board, those cheaper boards tend to have more of the higher end features than a Yamaha equivalent). Though Korg and Roland have both moved away from that a bit in recent years, as Korg came out with the Grandstage and Vox Continental which have basically a subset of Kronos technology/sounds in lower cost boards, and Roland has developed their ZEN-Core engine which provides some amount of common sound technology from the lower cost RD-88 and AX-Edge up to the high end Jupiter X and Fantom.

At any rate, whether CP88 has the same basic tech as a PSR-E doesn't really matter, if it sounds/feels/operates differently. If someone doesn't think a CP88 sounds/feels/operates better than the PSR-E for their purposes, by all means, save the $ and get a PSR-E. ;-)

With the comparisons you just posted, I guess you either knowingly try to sound uninformed or you really
are!

No organs:

MP11SE: has a piano engine, real grand key action. Designed to be used as a "Piano" (due to its action)
Nord Piano 4: It's a "Piano". Must have a decent piano engine! I don't see why Nord "Piano" should have organ sounds.
Roland FP90: Is a digital piano

No, this comparison doesn't "show us" what you're trying to show us. This comparison just tells me you comparing potatoes with watermelons.
Crumar Seven, Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro, Kawai MP11SE, Korg SV2, Nord Piano 4, are all marketed as stage pianos, i.e. largely to the same type of customer, and all emphasizing a good amount of real-time front panel control without a lot of menu diving. Roland FP90 is arguably in a slightly different category, though. So 6 potatoes and 1 watermelon.

Originally Posted by Sweelinck
I auditioned both the P-515 and CP88 side-by-side. The actions did not even remotely feel the same or similar. The P-515 I tried had a much heavier action.
Interesting, considering all the posts that have said things like the main difference is escapement. Evan as Abdol said in this thread, "Bad Mister in yamahasynth.com mentioned that CP-88 uses the P-515 action with the notch removed. So NWX means NW-GH with escapement." Someday when this pandemic is over, I look forward to trying both in person.

I also want to share my perspective on the SCM:
My humble guess without knowing the actual math behind it is that when you use spectral modeling, you can interpolate between different spectral components of samples. That gives the CP series the capability to blend between the velocities.

I have MOTIF XF and I have played CP-4 for a good amount of time. CP-4 shares many piano samples with my XF but the difference is the absence of the velocity switching effect. It's nice!
Interesting again. I know the CP1/CP5 had SCM on the acoustic and electric pianos, but I've seen conflicting info about the CP4. It definitely has SCM on the EPs, but it was less clear whether they used them on the APs. Tangentially, there's a related discussion about SCM at http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2751455/Why_doesn_t_the_Yamaha_Montage

Regarding the similarity, CP-4s action is the successor of CP-1 action...I don't want to say the action is bad but it's nothing near perfect. If you google for the CP-1 keybed repari you'll see how the guts of the keybed are similar to NW-GH and NWX!
Again, I'm looking forward to trying them myself. But as a reference point, I liked the feel of the CP1 a lot more than the CP4 (NW-GH, which is why I didn't have high hopes for the CP88). If the CP88 actually feels more like a CP1/CP5 but at lighter travel weight and with a MUCH better interface than those models had, that would be pretty appealing for me right there. (CP4 didn't feel *bad* but it did not impress me the way the CP1/CP5 did.)

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
p.s. to abdol (too late to edit)... good point also about SCM smoothing out velocity transitions. I did see that in some of the Yamaha lit, and that goes beyond what was described in the article I linked to.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Regardless of what you think about the authenticity of the NW-GH action, it's a very good stage piano action---just not a great acoustic piano action emulation. I would certainly choose the NW-GW over the RHIII if I were playing Prelude/Angry Young Man.

In many ways, that's the story of the Yamaha stage piano since the CP1 onwards: it seems to me that they are targeting their instruments more towards gigging musicians and less towards home players who want a compact stage piano to use both at home and out gigging.

I can see why, as the Kawai and Roland offerings are pretty well covering that market. Also, less children are learning piano than in previous decades; therefore, why not focus upon the professional market. I think the CP88 is targeted at band pianists and not classical musicians necessarily.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Doug M.
I think the CP88 is targeted at band pianists and not classical musicians necessarily.
Yes, CP88 is targeted primarily at performers and P515 at home players. Not that you couldn't use either board for either purpose, but their design/features are aimed more at those groups. You can see it even in the primary promotional images.

P515 is shown in home living environments on non-portable furniture style stands... https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/p_series/p-515/index.html

CP88 is shown with stage lighting, on gig stands, and rolling in a wheeled case... https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/p_series/p-515/index.html

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Interesting again. I know the CP1/CP5 had SCM on the acoustic and electric pianos, but I've seen conflicting info about the CP4. It definitely has SCM on the EPs, but it was less clear whether they used them on the APs. Tangentially, there's a related discussion about SCM at http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2751455/Why_doesn_t_the_Yamaha_Montage

LOL, I had the impression that the SCM is applied on the pianos as well! so I never played CP4 specifically to see how the piano samples transition! In e-pianos it is much obvious because stepping to the brighter sample is audible but I have played CP4 side by side to compare it with my own MP7SE and since I have the XF, CP4 wasn't intriguing at all. That's why I liked its e-pianos more than my XF!!! Had I known that up front I would have never spent much time playing and comparing it!

This is taking the trickery to the next level by Yamaha!

Last edited by Abdol; 11/23/20 08:59 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Well as I said, I'm not sure. I've seen conflicting info about SCM on the pianos of the CP4. But if you liked SCM on the EPs, I think you can still buy that today, in a Reface CP...

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
It's the same thing with Yamaha. PSR E series has low quality, fewer samples but the AWM2 software inside is the same. How it is presented to the user gives the impression that it only supports 1-2 layers but in fact, it's the same 8 layer architecture that uses only 1-2 slots and this can't be changed due to the hardware design.
In other words, you agree with anotherscott that the sounds of the PSR-E series keyboards (i.e. Super Articulation Lite) are lower quality than the sounds in more pro-oriented Yamaha stage pianos.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I think if stage piano is your goal:

Studio stage - all for the action
MP11SE

Big beasts - functional/programmable workhorses.
RD2000
MP7SE
Dexibel Vivo S9 pro
Kurzweil Forte

Flash a bit of glass
Physis H1

Manual UI boards
Nord Grand/Piano 4
CP88
Grandstage
The idea that some pianos are stage pianos while others are for home use is fine, but the idea that someone should buy two digital pianos, one for home, one for performance is a big stretch.

My requirements were for a competent stage piano that can double as a practice instrument for classical repertoire, so I could buy just one digital piano for both needs. This led me to the following assessments:

MP11SE -- too heavy, otherwise outstanding

MP7SE -- best overall for me personally

ES8 -- MP7SE was only $115 more and has features more useful to me than built-in speakers, but this was a solid contender

P-515 -- action too heavy for me, otherwise a solid choice

FP90 -- action on the heavy side for me, but was a solid contender, $450 more than MP7SE when I purchased

CP88 -- met requirements, but MP7SE is better and much cheaper, CP88 is lighter

RD-2000 -- tonal sustain inadequate for my classical repertoire

CP4 -- tonal sustain inadequate for my classical repertoire

Korg Kronos --very good piano sound, complex and expensive, action inadequate for my needs

Nord -- I find Nord pianos to be too overpriced

This was based on my personal needs. Your mileage may vary.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
The idea that some pianos are stage pianos while others are for home use is fine, but the idea that someone should buy two digital pianos, one for home, one for performance is a big stretch.
Many people only need one or the other, though. Lots of home players never gig. In my case, I gig, but I also have an acoustic piano at home. This hasn't stopped me from buying far more keyboards than I need, however. ;-)

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Well as I said, I'm not sure. I've seen conflicting info about SCM on the pianos of the CP4. But if you liked SCM on the EPs, I think you can still buy that today, in a Reface CP...

I found this article:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/scm-piano-in-cp4-vs-montage-pianos

in which Bad Mister addresses this issue. My understanding is there are no SCMs in the piano sound then.

This is very tricky because all you see and hear about the CP series were advertisements about SCM modeling and how awesome it is. I looked in the CP1 manual and also this:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-cp1

I don't think the user manuals are even complete for CP1 or CP4. I remember I could adjust some parameters for the Rhodes (maybe the hammer position I don't remember). But my guess is the SCM requires the analysis of all of the samples and is a processor-heavy operation and Yamaha ditched it.

Bad Mister at one point calls SCM acting like effects! I don't think even he knows what clearly SCM is or does. Probably only Toshifumi Kunimoto knows what it is. He just put it there and told others it works, YES laugh

So not really sure what to say. Yamaha has been very unclear about this technology and it didn't live that long. That's why I don't appreciate what Yamaha is doing.

Roland, Kawai, and others do provide clear definitions of what their technology does. At least there is enough information in the user manuals. Good luck finding the phrase SCM in CP1 or CP4 user manuals or even any relevant detail.

D
D
My requirements were for a competent stage piano that can double as a practice instrument for classical repertoire, so I could buy just one digital piano for both needs. This led me to the following assessments:

Well I brought my MP11 on more than 70 gigs, it's not that difficult with a foldable trolley. You only have to lift it when putting in/out the car and on its stand. I still can lift the Mp11 + its case with only 1 hand (I practice Martial Arts).

But I want a new stage DP and will buy a lighter one, I'm aging...

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
So not really sure what to say. Yamaha has been very unclear about this technology
Yes. Here's another thread where someone from Yamaha (Athan Billias) affirms that the CP4 acoustic pianos DO employ SCM... http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/18/main/171839/type/thread... BUT the CP1/CP5 SCM acoustic pianos have the adjustable parameters of hammer stiffness and damper resonance, which do not appear to be available on the piano sounds of the CP4. So maybe the SCM is still used, but with fixed settings instead of user controls for these things? Or the SCM implementation of the CP4 is in some ways a subset of the CP1/CP5 implementation? Who knows... as you say, they are unclear.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by doudou

Well I brought my MP11 on more than 70 gigs, it's not that difficult with a foldable trolley. You only have to lift it when putting in/out the car and on its stand. I still can lift the Mp11 + its case with only 1 hand (I practice Martial Arts).

But I want a new stage DP and will buy a lighter one, I'm aging...

In order to get the best action, I would shortlist:

MP7SE
Roland RD2000

Both are lighter than the MP11, and therefore will be a breeze for you to lift. Also, both have better functions than the Nord Clones (GrandStage, CP88, etc). In particular, the MP7SE is great value for money and sounds so much nicer than the CP88 in terms of acoustic pianos..

If you feel that you can do without the functions, the Nord Grand has roughly the same action as the MP7SE (without let-off simulation).
In my in-store test, I thought the Nord was quite a bit better than the CP88; although, it costs a lot.

The only other model I would consider is the Dexibel; however, you'd need to test this in store to see if you can stomach the action.

As someone else said: the benefit of the Nord is that the sound library gets updated and you can continue to get the latest piano sounds etc; also, it looks pretty sweet onstage and you can buy the bespooke speakers if your re-mortgage leaves you with any extra cash.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
When I compared the FP-90 and RD-2000 side-by-side, the action of the RD-2000 was a bit lighter and slightly slower for trills and repetitions. While they are described as the same action, I was left thinking they may be adjusted differently for different applications-- FP-90 optimized for acoustic piano, RD-2000 set to cover the range of sounds in the keyboard. But some have said that there may be a break-in period for this action as an explanation for the difference. For classical piano, I would recommend the FP-90 over the RD-2000. I believe doudou also wanted builtin speakers. This would suggest a short list of ES920, FP-90, P-515.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
After comparing the FP-90 and RD-2000, I was left wondering if the PHA-50 action has counterweights that are a little lighter in the RD-2000, resulting in a lighter touch and slower repetition, improving its use for organs and synths a bit. I don't know if this is true, however.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Maybe RD-2000 was played more often. It's a cool looking synth with lots of knobs and volume/faders. I don't think Roland would mess around with the action.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I also find this comment from the Roland website interesting:

Weight: 47 lbs 14 oz
* Actual weight can vary slightly from that indicated due to the fact that wooden parts are involved.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Maybe RD-2000 was played more often. It's a cool looking synth with lots of knobs and volume/faders. I don't think Roland would mess around with the action.
Or possibly because the touch settings were altered by previous users.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
This would not make repetition speed slightly slower. And when I try out digital keyboards, I try to remember to do a factory reset when I start.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
This would not make repetition speed slightly slower. And when I try out digital keyboards, I try to remember to do a factory reset when I start.

What Abdol suggested seems reasonable. New untouched actions are often quite a bit stiffer and it can take a few months of playing before you notice the action has loosened up a bit.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission