2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndrewJCW, Bluthendorfer, anotherscott, Carey, bohemiatotal, Abdol, 14 invisible), 854 guests, and 557 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
New TV Movies w/Piano-Music Theme
#3048026 11/21/20 02:26 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, There.

I'm posting today about our love of piano, and especially those of us who love acoustic piano.

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the piano industry. Will the acoustic piano survive? Will the piano industry have enough work to keep their skilled craftspeople employed?

A while ago I posted here asking how it might be possible to promote playing piano which would help boost sales of acoustic pianos. I had offered as my suggestion a tv series about a piano teacher and his/her students. The other day I noticed that a number of movies that revolve around musical themes are now being aired by Hallmark tv. A few of them even co-star, more or less, A PIANO!

If you are interested in watching these movies, the ones I know of are listed below. They're being aired in the coming weeks, some at odd hours, late at night or early a.m.

"Christmas Tree Lane"(2020)
Features a music store owner who plays piano.
Features Alicia Witt who is a musician as well as actress.
Looks like she's playing a Mason & Hamlin.
YAY! M+H is a TERRIFIC piano!

"Chateau Christmas" (2020)
About a concert pianist

Christmas in Vienna" (2020)
About a concert violinist

"Nashville Christmas Carol" (2020)
A tv producer in charge of a country music-themed Christmas special
Wynona Judd and Emmylous Harris are in this one.

A few other recent Hallmark movies in which music plays a role:

"It's Christmas Eve" (2018):
About shutting down a school's music department

"Home Coming for the Holidays" (2019)
About a country singer

"A Christmas Duet" (2019)
About an innkeeper rekindling her love of music

It'd be great to see more movies and tv shows like these!

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
Re: New TV Movies w/Piano-Music Theme
Jeanne W #3048056 11/21/20 04:41 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I almost never watch tv but usually around the holidays I like to find a movie or two to watch, maybe I'll try to find one of these.

Thanks! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jeanne W #3048278 11/22/20 01:12 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi. I found 3 more movies with music themes on Hallmark:

"Our Christmas Love Song" (2019)
About a country star accused of plagiarizing

"A Christmas Melody" (2015
About a young girl seeking help from her music teacher

"A Christmas Song" (2012)
About two music teachers vying for the same job

Hopefully these movies will inspire some number of viewers to play piano and/or take up music in one way or another.

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
Jeanne W #3048304 11/22/20 02:14 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

5000 Post Club Member
I have to confess that the Hallmark Channel was a guilty pleasure of mine for a while. We channel surfed across a Christmas movie one night while Mrs. Retsacnal was sick, and found ourselves back on the station repeatedly. The movies are what they are: formulaic and hammy, but they always have a happy ending, and we certainly needed that while she was terminal (and we were hoping and praying for a miracle).

I even kept watching them for a while after she passed--something comforting and familiar about them--but cut the cable cord a couple years ago and haven't seen any since. When I really clung to them, I'd check out the schedule online and it got to the point that I'd think, "seen it, seen it, seen it..." as I ran down the list of the day's offerings. And then I discovered that they premiered a new movie most Saturday nights (and Fridays?). I'd try to catch the new ones, and re-watch some of the others if I liked them.

There were a couple of the staple actresses that Mrs. Retsacnal really did NOT like. It was kind of funny. I don't know what it was about them that she disliked. She'd still usually watch the movie, if I wanted to, but critique the hammy acting.

January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month
ShiroKuro #3048309 11/22/20 02:21 PM

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I almost never watch tv but usually around the holidays I like to find a movie or two to watch, maybe I'll try to find one of these.

Thanks! smile

Normally, I don't watch much TV either. My wife was always good at negotiating the cable price down after each "two year deal" would expire. About a year after she passed I realized I was spending $200+/month for TV that nobody was watching! Normally it was only me in the house, but the girls would just stream from the various services when they were home. So I decided to cut cable back to just internet, and research the streaming services to see what was best for me. Ironically, I never signed up for anything. And I'm back to hardly watching it at all (sometimes I'll watch whatever the girls are watching--they've been home since March due to Covid).

Jeanne W #3048337 11/22/20 03:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Jeanne!

Great to "see" you here. I miss your input, Jeanne, as well as your piano enthusiasm.

I am not a big TV guy, but my wife told me about the "Christmas in Vienna" movie. Vienna is my favorite music city, so I watched it with her.

I was happy to see some scenes done outdoors within the Ringstrasse, but the inside scenes were not in the buildings they were supposed to be in and it was a typical "Hallmark Movie", so I was overall disappointed. Sorry to give a bad movie review, but I am SO GLAD to see you here Jeanne!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
Retsacnal #3048382 11/22/20 06:43 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I have to confess that the Hallmark Channel was a guilty pleasure of mine for a while. We channel surfed across a Christmas movie one night while Mrs. Retsacnal was sick, and found ourselves back on the station repeatedly. The movies are what they are: formulaic and hammy, but they always have a happy ending, and we certainly needed that while she was terminal (and we were hoping and praying for a miracle).

I even kept watching them for a while after she passed--something comforting and familiar about them--but cut the cable cord a couple years ago and haven't seen any since. When I really clung to them, I'd check out the schedule online and it got to the point that I'd think, "seen it, seen it, seen it..." as I ran down the list of the day's offerings. And then I discovered that they premiered a new movie most Saturday nights (and Fridays?). I'd try to catch the new ones, and re-watch some of the others if I liked them.

There were a couple of the staple actresses that Mrs. Retsacnal really did NOT like. It was kind of funny. I don't know what it was about them that she disliked. She'd still usually watch the movie, if I wanted to, but critique the hammy acting.
Retascnal,
Christmas tends to be the time when memories seem to come alive.It is as all the "ghosts of past Christmases come to visit"
Happiness,joy and sad memories all in a big "Christmas Cake" We have no relatives in Canada ,so every year we take car and the ferry and stay over in Victoria.at Christmas (we have friends there) This year because of Covid we are staying home . The ferry a few days before Christmas would be too much of a risk.
We shall spend it alone .No carol singing ,no Church , no friends.It will be difficult but we shall survive.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/22/20 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Lady Bird #3048418 11/22/20 11:14 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

We shall spend it alone .No carol singing ,no Church , no friends.It will be difficult but we shall survive.
WE all must make it's,,,

Jeanne W #3048695 11/23/20 07:56 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
ShiroKuro: Thanks for chiming in. If you watch any of the movies, I hope you enjoy them. : -)

Retsacnal: My condolences to you on the passing of your wife. Regarding the Hallmark movies, they are, as you say, "formulaic and hammy" and many of them share similar story lines, are variations on a theme, which can be a little off-putting. Still I enjoy them, as long as I don't overdose on them!

Rich: Hi! I'm glad you are sticking around here. It's good to see posts from those of us who frequented here back in 2004 or so. I miss seeing posts from Bee Lady, Lily Lady, Terry Tunes, Axtremus, John Citron, Pique, and many others.

Maximillyan: May we get through this difficult time and, hopefully, soon.

Lady Bird: Everything is awry because of Covid for so many of us. I send you (and all of our PW friends) all good wishes for a happy and healthy Thanksgiving.

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
Jeanne W #3048718 11/23/20 08:47 PM

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeanne W
Retsacnal: My condolences to you on the passing of your wife. Regarding the Hallmark movies, they are, as you say, "formulaic and hammy" and many of them share similar story lines, are variations on a theme, which can be a little off-putting. Still I enjoy them, as long as I don't overdose on them!

Thanks, Jeanne. A little can be ok. We're actually watching "Christmas Inheritance" right now. It's not on Hallmark (the girls' streaming services don't get it), but it's Hallmark-ish. smile

Maximillyan #3048719 11/23/20 08:48 PM

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan

WE all must make it's,,,

Yes, sir! That's for sure.

Lady Bird #3048726 11/23/20 09:05 PM

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

5000 Post Club Member
Retascnal,
Christmas tends to be the time when memories seem to come alive.It is as all the "ghosts of past Christmases come to visit"
Happiness,joy and sad memories all in a big "Christmas Cake" We have no relatives in Canada ,so every year we take car and the ferry and stay over in Victoria.at Christmas (we have friends there) This year because of Covid we are staying home . The ferry a few days before Christmas would be too much of a risk.

Yes, Lady Bird. Christmas can be a magical time. smile

It's nice to have relatives around, but friends can be even better. Sounds like you have a nice Christmas tradition there in BC. Life changes sometimes. Our tradition used to be to visit my hometown for the holidays, but since my dad passed in '13 we've made our own traditions here in Virginia. I love Christmas Eve, and carols too.

Sorry you won't be able to visit Victoria this year. Covid will probably curtail our tradition this year too. frown But we'll make the best of it. I'm sure you will too!

Jeanne W #3048752 11/23/20 10:59 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Retsacnal
Is it Thanksgiving in the US at the moment? Well if it is ,Happy Thanksgiving to you and your girls !
My son is in Calgary so he will not see us anyway except by Zoom. Perhaps one of my friends may come to us on Christmas eve. She is an asthma sufferer so I never see her and my other friend anymore.(she is also rather afraid) We have been advised to only be with people in our own household since these infections have taken off in the Fraser Health region in such an aggressive way.

We are still allowed to go to the recorder group in the Rec centre.
There are only four of us and our leader. We sit far apart in a big hall ,so we can social distance. In fact the leader and his wife suggested we have the recorder group over Christmas eve, so it just tells you that a number of people here will possibly have a rather different Christmas.
Thanks Retsacnal for your message.

Lady Bird #3048767 11/24/20 12:03 AM

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

5000 Post Club Member
Hi Retsacnal
Is it Thanksgiving in the US at the moment? Well if it is ,Happy Thanksgiving to you and your girls !
My son is in Calgary so he will not see us anyway except by Zoom. Perhaps one of my friends may come to us on Christmas eve. She is an asthma sufferer so I never see her and my other friend anymore.(she is also rather afraid) We have been advised to only be with people in our own household since these infections have taken off in the Fraser Health region in such an aggressive way.

We are still allowed to go to the recorder group in the Rec centre.
There are only four of us and our leader. We sit far apart in a big hall ,so we can social distance. In fact the leader and his wife suggested we have the recorder group over Christmas eve, so it just tells you that a number of people here will possibly have a rather different Christmas.
Thanks Retsacnal for your message.

This Thursday is Thanksgiving in the U.S. My oldest daughter and I just got home from the grocery, picking up supplies. Usually we have a pretty big crowd, but this year will just be the three of us. For the most part, we stay home and are careful when we venture out.

I'm getting deja vu of deja vu, because I know I've said this here before, but I love the leftovers: turkey sandwiches in particular! thumb I didn't buy a whole turkey tonight, just a big turkey breast, but I may try Piano*Dad's turkey soup recipe if there's enough left for it. wink

Jeanne W #3048771 11/24/20 12:39 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Retsacnal
You are making me hungry and its 9.37pm here ! Now where are those chocolates ? 🤪

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/24/20 12:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KAWAI CA79 METRONOME
by Giovanni Zanini - 01/16/21 01:43 PM
DIY Acoustical Digital Piano - algorithm
by stemPianist - 01/16/21 01:04 PM
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,293
Posts3,047,341
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission