2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (bohemiatotal, Abdol, AndrewJCW, accordeur, Calavera, c++, 13 invisible), 842 guests, and 550 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lisitsa records Einaudi album
bennevis #3041001 10/30/20 09:40 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by dogperson
OK, perhaps using Mozart to compare with The Maiden's Prayer wasn't the best example. I was looking for a piano piece written in a simple style, and Mozart immediately came to mind.......but even his earliest pieces (composed when he was six) shows him modulating to the dominant, and using liberal accidentals in his melodies too. Though - as always with Wolfie - you don't actually notice those accidentals, because they sound so utterly natural, as if they couldn't possibly be written any other way.

Maybe that's what marks him out as a great composer: the Art that conceals Art. Or - surface simplicity masking great complexity and ingenuity.

OK, I've given my reason above.

Now - challenge me grin.

Please stop asking for proof that Einaudi is comparable to Mozart. Many composers are not, but can still be enjoyed. You don’t like Einaudi? Fine, don’t like him.
Huh??

I wasn't talking about Einaudi.

Please listen to the links I gave, before jumping the gun.

Sorry, missed the link

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
bennevis #3041009 10/30/20 10:06 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was looking for a piano piece written in a simple style, and Mozart immediately came to mind.......but even his earliest pieces (composed when he was six) shows him modulating to the dominant, and using liberal accidentals in his melodies too. Though - as always with Wolfie - you don't actually notice those accidentals, because they sound so utterly natural, as if they couldn't possibly be written any other way.

Maybe that's what marks him out as a great composer: the Art that conceals Art. Or - surface simplicity masking great complexity and ingenuity.
While this may be true, using this to determine the quality of music is an entirely subjective decision.
Other people may consider music of higher quality that does not try to mask complexity, but is more "in your face".
Who am I to tell them they're wrong?

My point still stands. There is no good or bad music. Or more accurately, there is no objectively good or bad music, since everybody can decide for themselves what makes music good.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
patH #3041024 10/30/20 10:48 AM
V
V
Originally Posted by patH
My point still stands. There is no good or bad music. Or more accurately, there is no objectively good or bad music, since everybody can decide for themselves what makes music good.

This is a Classical music sub-forum. If you are unable to decide what is good or bad music, can you decide what is Classical music? Class can be a mathematical term, in that for music to be part of the "Classical Music" class, it has to present certain easy to describe characteristics. Or Class can be an esthetical ranking, i.e. within music we will identify various "classes" of music that appeal to different classes of people.

I believe, following Plato, than as far as Art is concerned, there is Art which is intrinsically good or bad, and that the difference is in the talent and education of the people that make the judgement. For Classical Music, it is the test of time.

Steinway "A". Roland LX 706. Viscount Sonus 45 hybrid organ with 165 real pipes. Harpsichord by Marc Fontaine.
Vikendios #3041037 10/30/20 11:25 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vikendios
This is a Classical music sub-forum.

Actually, that is not specified anywhere. Although certainly, by default, this forum is primarily devoted to classical music, and I do not intend to imply that I think other genres of music are relevant to most discussions in this forum. Although as someone said above, Lisitsa is a classical musician, and her performance of Einaudi is highly relevant to this forum. ("relevance" not being synonymous with "welcomed" of course)

For Classical Music, it is the test of time.

What do you mean by this? Surely not that anything created more recently can not be "classical" until time has passed?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Chrispy #3041048 10/30/20 12:09 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's a lot more relevant than many things that get discussed here at length, such as Yuja Wang's wardrobe.

ShiroKuro #3041081 10/30/20 01:47 PM
V
V
For Classical Music, it is the test of time.

What do you mean by this? Surely not that anything created more recently can not be "classical" until time has passed?

Let's put it this way : I do not think that Mozart, Chopin or Debussy were ever conscious of writing music that would become "Classical". They wrote the kind of music they could, and wished, and they probably hoped that as many people as possible, and particularly people whose opinions and tastes they respected, would enjoy it.

Maybe their secret ambition and vanity was to join the masters of the past that they much admired. But it was left to posterity to decide.

Last edited by Vikendios; 10/30/20 01:49 PM.

Steinway "A". Roland LX 706. Viscount Sonus 45 hybrid organ with 165 real pipes. Harpsichord by Marc Fontaine.
Chrispy #3041085 10/30/20 01:51 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's really good johnstaf lol.

I think the topic is relevant because of the artist but also because the problem of categorizing this music hasn't been solved. I'm curious about this because I have no idea how to solve it. (I don't lose any sleep over this)

I recently learned the Glassworks opening by Philip Glass. That and a lot of his music (The Hours, Metamorphosis) seems to intersect with what I would call the George Winston school.

How would someone describe the difference when putting Philip Glass in the classical category? I would think it has a lot to do with his own philosophy or stated views and not necessarily intrinsic to the music. But I haven't researched any of that so it's just a guess. Maybe there's a lot of his music that I haven't studied that explains it.

bennevis #3041614 11/01/20 02:51 AM
R
R
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I have actually been thinking about that (whether she made the recordings solely for money or not) and given that the recordings are so far only available on Spotify (and not on iTunes, Amazon, or for sale on her site) I can only conclude that making money was not the goal (or at least not the main goal)

Another detail that was missed in this thread, that I only just learned recently, is that Lisitsa has recorded a 2-cd album of music by Philip Glass. So it might actually be possible that she (gasp) actually likes Einaudi's music.
You fail to grasp the point that Einaudi (and Nyman) is not Philip Glass. Not even close.
Is that supposed to put Einaudi (and Nyman) in a positive or negative light? And Philip Glass is no Brahms, not even close. How is "minimalism" artistically superior to "ambient music"? At any rate I find Einaudi (whom I'd never heard of before looking at this thread) easier to take (and less pretentious) anyway than Ferneyhough or Rebecca Saunders or several other of our "serious contemporary leading lights".

rmns2bseen #3041619 11/01/20 03:33 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen
At any rate I find Einaudi (whom I'd never heard of before looking at this thread) easier to take (and less pretentious) anyway than Ferneyhough or Rebecca Saunders or several other of our "serious contemporary leading lights".

I just went to listen to Fury II .... less than 5 minutes was plenty enough. I dont think I will buy her CD assuming there is one ! It could probably work out quite well as a soundtrack for a horror movie.

Sidokar #3041624 11/01/20 03:46 AM
R
R
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen
At any rate I find Einaudi (whom I'd never heard of before looking at this thread) easier to take (and less pretentious) anyway than Ferneyhough or Rebecca Saunders or several other of our "serious contemporary leading lights".

I just went to listen to Fury II .... less than 5 minutes was plenty enough. I dont think I will buy her CD assuming there is one ! It could probably work out quite well as a soundtrack for a horror movie.
If you have 18 minutes to kill -- assuming you make it past the first couple of minutes -- look up her "Crimson" on YT. I would say the best way to "listen" to it is to turn the sound off and read the score. It's another form of Augenmusik, I guess. The same goes for Ferneyhough, really (in my opinion).

Chrispy #3048092 11/21/20 06:54 PM
At traffic lights, I prefer to listen to ein

[Linked Image],

or if the wind is sufficiently calm, I'll listen to some Philip

[Linked Image]

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
Chrispy #3048369 11/22/20 05:59 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good grief! To think that Einaudi could cause such a ruckus, given his music. As I've said elsewhere, I have no taste for most of the Minimalists. It's my personal preference. I find the music boring. For me it's boring. Just my experience of it. At the same time I rather like some of Arvo Pärt, and I love Debussy's "Pelléas et Mélasande," which many find static to the point of stultification. Yes, I could go into a long and detailed rationale for my tastes, but why? To congratulate myself on my "superior" taste? Please! I don't like peanut butter either, by the way. I must be some sort of elitist! grin crazy

August Förster 215
doctor S #3048406 11/22/20 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by doctor S
At traffic lights, I prefer to listen to ein

[Linked Image],

or if the wind is sufficiently calm, I'll listen to some Philip

[Linked Image]
lol

Chrispy #3048445 11/23/20 03:00 AM
E
E
I don't like Philip Glass. When I heard his etudes, two thoughts came to mind: first, it sounds like Einaudi, but in a somber, serious, pretentious way. And second: it sounds like myself when I am doodling around on the keyboard and it's not going anywhere. This is of course completely subjective.
Maybe a measure of quality in music is the number of times the person who likes the music can hear it before it gets boring.

ErfurtBob #3048565 11/23/20 01:25 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AaronSF
I don't like peanut butter either, by the way. I must be some sort of elitist! grin crazy

grin (And yes, good grief indeed!)

Originally Posted by ErfurtBob
Maybe a measure of quality in music is the number of times the person who likes the music can hear it before it gets boring.

Actually, I think this makes a lot of sense (although again, "quality" is as subjective as anything else bring brought up in this discussion).

The other piece of this might be a measure of "quality" (or how well-suited a piece is to one's personal preference) as how many times you can play the music before it gets boring...

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Chrispy #3048844 11/24/20 06:44 AM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi. Some questions to mull over that are pertinent to these types of discussions…

What is the main purpose of music?

Is music mostly about adhering to rules of composition?

About striving to achieve mathematical eloquence or perfection or form?

Is music's main goal to be enjoyed on an academic level and/or visually?

What do you think?

What can be said of a piece of music loved by many that is created by a highly educated composer who is extremely knowledgeable and entirely capable of writing within accepted classical norms of composition who merely decided to flaunt the rules, versus,

a piece of music created by an untrained composer who lacks knowledge, skill, or ability to compose within accepted norms but yet, again, is loved by many?

Does adherence to rules make the resulting music of higher or lower quality or of more or less value?

It seems to me that music's main purpose is an attempt to communicate without words what to some great degree is incommunicable, ineffable - our thoughts, feelings, emotions. It's a form of "catharsis", a way of getting out and manifesting what's bubbling about inside one's psyche. A manifestation of a lifetime of experiences of one's soul.

How seriously, then, are we to take the prevailing notion that accepted rules of composition "are made to be broken" - and how far is "too far"?

No doubt there are many capable of composing within accepted norms. Not all of it is revered, however. There is some essence or spark that makes some pieces of music, or some composer's particular compositions, memorable, enjoyable. When that is the case, is that not worthy of being celebrated?

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
Jeanne W #3048857 11/24/20 07:25 AM
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Why do we always discuss the music and the composer?

How about the listeners? My kid actively refuses to listen to anything other than Baby Shark and other simple kid songs. Does that make Baby Shark classical music? A masterpiece? Is my daughter having a catharsis? (She loves singing these songs and apparently enjoys music. She even cries on sad songs).

I won’t share my thoughts though because I risk being accused of snobbery and elitism 😀 But the issues of music quality are not limited to finding the explanation only in the music itself. The listeners are equally as important. Baby Shark is a quality masterpiece. For 3 year olds 😉

Last edited by CyberGene; 11/24/20 07:26 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #3048968 11/24/20 12:02 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by CyberGene

How about the listeners? My kid actively refuses to listen to anything other than Baby Shark and other simple kid songs. Does that make Baby Shark classical music? A masterpiece? Is my daughter having a catharsis?
My mother thinks the music I play (no, I don't mean Xenakis, Boulez or Ligeti, not even Bartók or Prokofiev) has too many notes and no music. She keeps asking me why I can't play like Richard Clayderman (her piano hero, ever since she watched him on TV).

I told her I didn't have an ounce of his talent, er, I meant looks. cry .......because she didn't bequeath me the right genes.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #3049002 11/24/20 01:18 PM
Online Content

How about the listeners? My kid actively refuses to listen to anything other than Baby Shark and other simple kid songs. Does that make Baby Shark classical music? A masterpiece? Is my daughter having a catharsis?
My mother thinks the music I play (no, I don't mean Xenakis, Boulez or Ligeti, not even Bartók or Prokofiev) has too many notes and no music. She keeps asking me why I can't play like Richard Clayderman (her piano hero, ever since she watched him on TV).

I told her I didn't have an ounce of his talent, er, I meant looks. cry .......because she didn't bequeath me the right genes.
Ah yes, Philippe Pagès.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
CyberGene #3049019 11/24/20 02:07 PM
How about the listeners? My kid actively refuses to listen to anything other than Baby Shark and other simple kid songs. Does that make Baby Shark classical music? A masterpiece? Is my daughter having a catharsis? (She loves singing these songs and apparently enjoys music. She even cries on sad songs). 😉

My 3-year-old granddaughter loves Baby Shark, and "We Are the Dinosaurs (Stomp! Stomp!)". Her long-suffering mother has to ration kid-music streaming to preserve her sanity. The one-year-old has a diet of squeaks and noises from electronic toys: the sounds are more frenetic than minimalist.

Before The Plague when I baby-sat, the kids were hearing Bach, Chopin, Debussy and Satie piano music on Pandora, which apparently was not unappreciated (at least by their mother). When I was a little urchin on the playroom floor playing records, one I wore out was a Nutcracker Suite LP which likely inured me to Russian music. If later I were to succeed in shaping their ears toward music I like, will they grow up adrift in a becalmed sea, longing to hear voices more and more beyond the horizon?

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIY Acoustical Digital Piano - algorithm
by stemPianist - 01/16/21 01:04 PM
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Kawai ES110 Quality Control
by MusicMaster709 - 01/16/21 10:32 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,293
Posts3,047,341
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission