2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mcliu Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I've decided on purchasing a used Boston baby grand and have found a few options from a well known local authorized dealer as well as craigslist. Trying to gauge which option is best. I've played all 4 pianos and they all sound / feel good, but I'm not a professional musician so I'm not really sure what to watch out for. I'm just looking to purchase a piano for my new home as I played when I was younger and hope my kids will also enjoy playing. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

1) 2014 Boston GP 163, performance edition, $19,990 (pre-tax), sold by local dealer so assuming its been professionally inspected

2) 2013 Boston GP 156, performance edition, with player, $15,000 (pre-tax), sold by local dealer

3) 2006 Boston GP 163, $10,000 (no tax), sold by private dealer on craigslist, first owner and assuming its in good condition. but i haven't gotten it professionally inspected. she bought it in 2007 for $19,900

4) 2015 Boston GP 163, $16,200 (no tax), sold by private dealer on craigslist, first owner and assuming its in good condition. but i haven't gotten it professionally inspected. and its currently sitting in storage (i think for about a month). she bought it in 2016 for $28,000

Last edited by mcliu; 11/22/20 10:56 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
One question: for the CL pianos, what do you mean by “private dealer” — do you just mean private seller?

Ok now to the pianos... I live the Boston grands a lot, but I liked the 163s a lot more than the 156... so just plug for the slightly larger one smile

The CL pianos definitely need to be inspected by a professional. Most people will recommend that a used piano sold by dealer should also be inspected by an independent piano tech, but I know not everyone does that.

For the pianos at the dealer’s, have you tried negotiating? Have you confirmed whether the price includes warranty, delivery, first tuning?

Beyond that, what did you do to test-play each piano?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What is the maximum size you can fit in your music room? The only reason I mention this is I feel there's a significant "bump" in performance once you get to the model 178 over its smaller siblings. The years where these pianos saw design/hardware updates were 2009 and 2016, according to this brand profile:

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/boston/

If you're looking at the 163 sized Boston, I would expand your search to also include the one inch longer Kawais: GE-30, GL-30, RX-1, and GX-1 (the models varied based on year and feature set), or the next bigger size, including the GX-2, RX-2, and GL-40. For that matter, you could also include the 5'8" Yamaha GC2/C2/C2X and the 5'3" GC1/C1/C1X. I'm a lot more open minded about brands, though, and in all my piano searches have never focused on shopping only one brand of instrument.

It's hard to evaluate a used piano over the internet, based on a sentence or two description (sorry-- not trying to be dismissive). Pictures and recordings could be useful. Playing the piano in person and hearing it being played are most important, along with an independent tech inspection of your top contender (if used) to ensure all is in order, prior to purchase.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
One question: for the CL pianos, what do you mean by “private dealer” — do you just mean private seller?

Ok now to the pianos... I live the Boston grands a lot, but I liked the 163s a lot more than the 156... so just plug for the slightly larger one smile

The CL pianos definitely need to be inspected by a professional. Most people will recommend that a used piano sold by dealer should also be inspected by an independent piano tech, but I know not everyone does that.

For the pianos at the dealer’s, have you tried negotiating? Have you confirmed whether the price includes warranty, delivery, first tuning?

Beyond that, what did you do to test-play each piano?

I was wondering about the "private dealers" on CL as well, Dr. ShiroKuro. There are piano dealers who advertise on CL frequently, and sometimes pose as private sellers. But there is a big difference between private sellers and private dealers, on CL, I would think.

Also, if the CL dealer doesn't charge sales tax, that sounds odd to me, and not necessarily above board. Makes me think if they are skirting around the tax laws, what else are they skirting around, or misrepresenting.

If it is indeed a private seller, I can see not charging sales tax.

This may be getting OT here, but not long ago, in the state of Georgia, lots of people were selling used cars/trucks out of their homes/yards. They would find a good deal on a used car, buy it, and flip it for a profit. This was happening a lot. So much so, that the state legislature changed the motor vehicle tax laws so that even if a private seller sold a used vehicle, the buyer would have to pay sales tax (on the value of the vehicle, not the sales price) to the state to get the tag and title work done. That helped to curtail the back-yard used car sellers a good bit.

Back to this thread, and private sellers vs. used piano dealers, CL or otherwise, there is a big difference.

To the OP, welcome to Piano World! I'd go with the Boston grand piano you like the best, whether it is the lowest price or the highest price.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
mcliu Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Sorry, I meant private SELLER, not dealer. So hence, no sales tax.
For the local authorized dealer, the prices that i've provided have NOT been negotiated on and include 3 year warranty as well as 10 year opportunity to fully trade in for Steinway upgrade.

Originally Posted by mcliu
Sorry, I meant private SELLER, not dealer. So hence, no sales tax.
For the local authorized dealer, the prices that i've provided have NOT been negotiated on and include 3 year warranty as well as 10 year opportunity to fully trade in for Steinway upgrade.

If money is an object, and you have a tendency toward being frugal, I'd take a close look at this one:

3) 2006 Boston GP 163, $10,000 (no tax), sold by private dealer on craigslist, first owner and assuming its in good condition. but i haven't gotten it professionally inspected. she bought it in 2007 for $19,900

That is, if you have no interest in the 10 year Steinway trade up policy from the dealers. As for the warranty, if the piano was going to have major issues, it would likely have revealed itself by now on the 2006 GP 163.

You would be looking at roughly half the cost of new, yet still a later model piano and a one-owner. By all means, have it inspected by a qualified piano tech.

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
P
Just chipping in: it is ~67% of the original price, not 50%.
buying from private seller with no tax means you have to compare to the original NET price. SO if she bought it for 19,990 incl. tax, then the net price was around $15,000. So she is selling it at ~67% of new price ($10,000/$15,000) - not such a good deal for a 13 year old Boston.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
The prices seem rather high to me.

$15K for a a 160 cm grand, I don't think so.

I would shop some more.

Don't put too much emphasis on the Steinway upgrade unless you are willing to pay top dollar for them.

I think once you mention full value trade in there is very little room to negotiate.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Personally I’d go for option 4. Get your tech to inspect it and if it’s a go, arrange delivery have it tuned maybe 2 months after delivery and enjoy. It’s only 4 years old. I’m assuming you like it as much as the others. After 4 years, if there’s anything wrong that would be covered under a dealer or Boston warranty, it would have happened already. Best Wishes on your piano journey!

Last edited by j&j; 11/23/20 12:49 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Online Content
Originally Posted by Learux
The prices seem rather high to me. $15K for a a 160 cm grand, I don't think so. I would shop some more.
That just means you don't like short grands. I think the more relevant question is if the price is good/reasonable for the make/year/condition of the piano and if the OP likes it.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission