2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
63 members (AaronSF, Beemer, BrokenSymmetry, c++, Bill McKaig,RPT, Beowulf, 16 invisible), 531 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rhythm exercises
#3048186 Yesterday at 07:00 AM
T
Tom97 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I was given a simple exercise by my teacher to practice rhythm which is something I´ve been struggling with (it´s getting better).
Basically, I count 1-2-3-4 (4/4 time) and keep switching between different rhythms. So I may start just playing quarter notes to establish the tempo and feel the beat, then I may suddenly change and play triplets to change in the next beat to sixteenth notes. Sometimes at the beginning of my lessons, my teacher makes me change the note values very frequently and I find it quite hard. Especially the triplets and sixteenth notes are sometimes not evenly divided throughout the beat. Of course not having this pretty basic skill hinders one's progress in sightreading since if you read just the notes but the rhythm is incorrect, then the whole piece is incorrect because rhythm really is the basics structure and without it, there is no music.

Do you also do similar things you could share here? I really want to master playing in consistent tempo, steady beat, and the notes equally divided in the beat as they should be. I already count aloud, usually just the beats (so in 4/4 I´d count one, two, three, four...) because I was told not to subdivide the beats if not absolutely necessary which will enable me to feel the pulse better plus it's not possible to subdivide to let´s say sixteenth note level and play fast...

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Rhythm exercises
Tom97 #3048194 Yesterday at 07:38 AM
P
P
Hi Tom,

I'd suggest that you practice it with a metronome, maybe it could be of help?
You could also try choosing for instance a 4/4 time and write down your own rhythm exercises ranging from very simple (4 quarter notes) to more complex (different note values per bar) and play all of it with the metronome. I actually don't quite know how these types of exercises are meant to be done but in my early lessons, I would usually practice by playing the same note on the piano while counting the beats. Maybe if you use a metronome, it could help because it will dictate the beat counting while you can really focus, first, on the rhythm of the notes you're playing.

Also, keep in mind that even if it is a 4/4 time, the number of beats you count really depends a lot on the tempo and type of rhythm you're playing. Think of the opening of the 1st movement of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata (counting 8 or 16 beats per bar instead of 4) vs Chopin's Scherzi (counting 1 instead of 3). Just make sure you can have a nice and steady pulse on your mind (so that's why I suggested the metronome) and focus on the notes. For more complex note values distribution, it could be a good idea to slow down the tempo of the bar and increase the "subdivision" of the counting, only at a first approach so you can get acquainted with the phrases.

Good luck!! Cheers,
pw

pianowhisper
Tom97 #3048201 Yesterday at 07:59 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hey Tom, I love to work with rhythm even from the outset of my piano days. I use my ears. If there is a piece you've never heard I'd say go to youtube etc to find someone playing it and get it locked in your ear. Musical shortcuts arenot a bad thing particularly if you are 59 versus 9 yo. Good luck!

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

Tom97 #3048227 Yesterday at 10:36 AM
Online Content
Here’s my “drummers perspective” on this as I drilled in a similar exercise when moving between various subdivisions on the drum kit.

Start by playing a single note on the beat - say Middle C - for a bar - (so four notes)
Then switch to 1/8th notes for the next bar - Say Middle C and G (C on the pulse, G as the in between 1/8th note fingers 1 and 5)
Then switch to triplets for the next bar - C, E, G with each C on the pulse (and maybe a descending run from G for the next beat)
Then switch to 1/16th notes for the next bar, C,D,E,F beat 1, G, F, E, D, beat 2 and repeat - basically a 5 finger drill up and down alternating between C and G on the beat.
Then switch hands and do it all again then hands together and go through the cycle.

Rinse and repeat until you feel the difference between the triplets and the 1/16th notes in particular

Hope that helps

Yamaha YDP-164
Duane Shinn 52W Crash Course - In progress

There’s nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself. Johann Sebastian Bach
Tom97 #3048242 Yesterday at 11:21 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Exercise from a book on working on rhythm. In the initial stage, cancel all ties .

https://i.ibb.co/s97NdP5/Untitled-1.jpg

Tom97 #3048286 Yesterday at 01:37 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you know scales well, try
Doing 4 octaves with first octave quarter notes, second eighth
Notes, third triplets and fourth sixteenth notes. I often do scales this way and can change the
Rhythm easily because I don’t have to think about the notes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Tom97 #3048574 4 hours ago
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
I like Hammertime's practice suggestion. It's simple and progressive.

If you feel like using a metronome (to ensure that your own 1-2-3-4 counting is steady), that would be useful as well. (Nahum will not approve . . . )

I found a book in my local shop:

"The Rhythm Book: Beginning Notation and Sight-reading"

. . . by Rory Stuart

It has a progressive set of exercises. The early ones are really easy, the later ones are genuinely difficult.

Have fun!

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I found a book in my local shop:

"The Rhythm Book: Beginning Notation and Sight-reading"

. . . by Rory Stuart

It has a progressive set of exercises. The early ones are really easy, the later ones are genuinely difficult.

Have fun!
This is a very advanced material, apparently for higher educational institutions. Beginners have nothing to do here ...

https://roryrhythmbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/v5-preview.pdf

Hammertime #3048599 2 hours ago
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Hammertime
Here’s my “drummers perspective” on this as I drilled in a similar exercise when moving between various subdivisions on the drum kit.

Start by playing a single note on the beat - say Middle C - for a bar - (so four notes)
Then switch to 1/8th notes for the next bar - Say Middle C and G (C on the pulse, G as the in between 1/8th note fingers 1 and 5)
Then switch to triplets for the next bar - C, E, G with each C on the pulse (and maybe a descending run from G for the next beat)
Then switch to 1/16th notes for the next bar, C,D,E,F beat 1, G, F, E, D, beat 2 and repeat - basically a 5 finger drill up and down alternating between C and G on the beat.
Then switch hands and do it all again then hands together and go through the cycle.

Rinse and repeat until you feel the difference between the triplets and the 1/16th notes in particular

Hope that helps

How much easier it is to do this by pronouncing the rhythm through the melodica, pressing one or three keys of some chord .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcF...wzVOGdchfRcf093A9bkfBxGN6O4f0D0BVFlRYHO4

Quarters: Tu Ta Tu Ta
8ths: Tuku Taka Tuku Taka
Triplets of eighths: Tukita Pakita Tukita Pakita
Sixteens : Tuku-tuku Taka-taka Tuku-tuku Taka-taka

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jamiroquai - Learning to groove on keyboards
by newer player - 11/23/20 05:29 PM
KORG music apps & software BF Sale
by EB5AGV - 11/23/20 04:50 PM
Steinway Model F?
by Davdoc - 11/23/20 04:15 PM
Sound comparison between Yamaha DGX 620 & 660
by MarkAshwellMoore - 11/23/20 03:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,996
Posts3,026,285
Members99,352
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission