2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
33 members (jmiley97302, DaEgg, Eli26, EPW, Evgeny 85, FrankCox, 10 invisible), 436 guests, and 389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Should I put down the music shelf for grand piano
#3047947 11/21/20 10:22 AM
D
DaEgg Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
I just got a grand piano, and an immediate question occurred is... should I put down the music shelf when I am not playing to completely close the piano? I understand I need to close the lid for not collecting dusts, but if music shelf is up, then dusts still can get in...putting down a music shelf is much more complicated for grand than upright.

Re: Should I put down the music shelf for grand piano
DaEgg #3047948 11/21/20 10:24 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
On my home piano, I do this. On my office pianos, I don’t.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
DaEgg #3047951 11/21/20 10:30 AM
D
DaEgg Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
I am thinking to put it down every night before sleeping, and then set it up next day when I first play. Will this be too bad for collecting dusts?

DaEgg #3047958 11/21/20 10:40 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I think it is an individual preference. I rarely close up my grand piano(s) completely. I usually leave the fly-lid folded back, with the music desk up. On occasion, I will raise the lid on the tall stick (fly-lid folded back) and leave it for a few days.

You may keep a little more dust out of the piano by closing it up completely, with music desk folded down, but dust will still creep in from the sides of the lid, which has a slight gap all the way around between the lid and rim.

All grand pianos will need dusting on occasion, inside and out. If you really want to keep dust out of your piano, get a cover for it when not in use. However, some dust will still creep inside the piano...

But again, it is totally a personal preference.

Just my .02.

Welcome to Piano World!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #3047962 11/21/20 10:43 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
All grand pianos will need dusting on occasion, inside and out. If you really want to keep dust out of your piano, get a cover for it when not in use. However, some dust will still creep inside the piano...

Rick's right about this-- I have a cover on my home piano and it still gets pretty dusty...though I rarely want to clean it all that often. (cleaning my piano "properly" according to my OCD takes a half hour, and about 90 minutes if I pull the action and clean the rest of the "innards"...so I don't bother all that often, because that obviously makes sense!)

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Rickster #3047964 11/21/20 10:49 AM
D
DaEgg Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
Thank you, Rick! I also noticed the gap between the lid and the rim. I will just let music stand up then, and will find a way to handle the dusts later smile

DaEgg #3047974 11/21/20 11:11 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am one of those people who keeps my grand piano completely closed unless I'm playing it (or if I have company, which is never in these covid-days).

When I play, I put the lid on the short stick and set up the music desk. When I'm done, after putting my music away, I close the music desk, and close the lid, flylid* and fallboard. So my piano is only open while I'm actually practicing/playing (as opposed to opening it up and leaving it open all day).

*flylid -- that's not what it's called, is it?? What is the "official" name of the part of the lid that's hinged?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
DaEgg #3047982 11/21/20 11:44 AM
L
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
Mine is always ready to play. Except when I go away for more then 2 days.

Usually on short stick or should I say prop?

I don't find dust to be much of a problem.

Last edited by Learux; 11/21/20 11:45 AM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
DaEgg #3047991 11/21/20 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by DaEgg
Thank you, Rick! I also noticed the gap between the lid and the rim. I will just let music stand up then, and will find a way to handle the dusts later smile
Because of that "gap" I not only keep the lid completely closed when my grand piano is not being used, but I also cover the entire piano with a light blanket that drapes over the gap, Over time dust still collects in the piano (we live in the desert and dust is a major problem) but it could be so much worse than it is.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
DaEgg #3047998 11/21/20 12:31 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Because dust is a big problem thanks to wind in my location I completely close the piano when I’m not playing it. When I go to practice I open the fly lid (ShiroKuro - that’s what I’ve heard it called too) pull out the music rack to where I want it then finally open the fallboard and remove my Yamaha felt keycover. I used to open the piano every time we entertained but nobody really notices or cares unless they play themselves and sometimes even then the piano is completely ignored. I never use the short stick. It’s either fully open, closed with fly lid back and music rack out, or fully closed. It’s more an effort to keep the piano clean than changing the sound level. I did get turned on to the California Car duster that is sensational for dusting a big shiny piano lid. Congratulations on getting a grand piano!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
Carey #3048009 11/21/20 01:27 PM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by DaEgg
Because of that "gap" I not only keep the lid completely closed when my grand piano is not being used, but I also cover the entire piano with a light blanket that drapes over the gap, Over time dust still collects in the piano (we live in the desert and dust is a major problem) but it could be so much worse than it is.
This is what I do. It takes less than a minute to do it and although it doesn't completely block dust, I shudder to think what would accumulate otherwise. We have dust and wind (ugh).

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

DaEgg #3048016 11/21/20 02:04 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I have a piece of black speaker cloth that's a bit wider than the piano and wide enough to cover the open space behind the music rest and extend onto the top of the open fly lid. The cloth is pinched in front under the support arm for the music rest and it's own weight holds it on top of the open fly lid because it hangs over the sides of the piano. It's black so you don't really notice it and it doesn't affect the sound since it's speaker cloth. I can leave it in place all the time whether the top is up or not, and when I want to dust I fold it up gently and take it outside for a shaking.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
DaEgg #3048030 11/21/20 02:37 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Like ShiroKuro I always close the piano up completely when I finish playing - the fallboard, the fly-lid and the main lid. A friend had a grand piano that they kept with the fly-lid kept permanently open. The consequence of this was that the interior of the piano became absolutely filthy; and this was not in a particularly dusty area. I would never let my piano get like that.

DaEgg #3048087 11/21/20 06:37 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a wool felt string cover that keeps the sound board free of dust and keeps the strings like new (no corrosion). I roll up the string cover before practice (less than a minute to do it) and put it back after (about 1.5 minutes). I lower the lid after practice, too, but no need to completely close up the instrument.

String covers help regulate the humidity around the sound board because of wool's unique ability to "breathe," absorbing moisture but then releasing it slowly.

Dawson String Covers has patterns for just about every grand made, and their string covers are very high quality. They are constructed with thin, wood "battens" that sit on the frame, so the wool felt doesn't actually touch the strings. This makes it possible to play the piano without removing the string cover.

I don't do that because the wool felt mutes a lot of higher overtones, and I prefer to hear the piano's full range when practicing. Also Dawson's string covers come in many colors, so it's possible to match the cover with the felt used in the rest of the piano, if you want (I'm talking to you, Blüthner, Bechstein, and Bösendorfer owners). Mine is crimson, matches the other felt, and looks great

They aren't cheap ($250-$600 depending on the size of the instrument), but I wouldn't be without one.

August Förster 215
DaEgg #3048116 11/21/20 09:22 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Excellent pitch, Aaron, but for six hundred bucks I think I would just invest in a new ostrich feather duster. The lady at the shop where I bought my piano swears by 100% cotton baby diapers. They do indeed become very soft after they've been washed a number of times. (I wonder if this side branch of technology has been entirely lost, in this day of disposable baby booty covers. I am old enough to remember the mess and smell--- and diaper pin sticks--- that came along with my youngest sibling's infancy. Luckily, we remember the baby and forget the diaper pail, and my youngest brother turned out to be well worth the investment.)

I agree with you, though, when you sing the praises of wool, the miracle fiber. I particularly love merino wool, which is soft and not scratchy, and which can be washed in the machine (but NOT dried in the drier, unless you want your clothes to come out like doll clothes). It is inevitable that the string cover will need to be washed, eventually. I have become very leery of dry-cleaners, especially when it comes to unusual and expensive items.

Were we to revisit the matter, Dust might be named as the State Bird of California. It flies everywhere. In the decision to allow an intentional gap between the rim and lid of the piano, I have to believe that ventilation was judged to be in the best interest of the piano, even if the gap lets the fine dust make its way inside. We are not so far above it, after all: "Dust thou art."

Clef

DaEgg #3048183 11/22/20 06:38 AM
V
V
Am I the only one sliding out the music desk completely and resting it atop the closed piano when I want to play with minimum volume ? I use two patches of felt to protect the finish. The only problem is that the desk sits a bit high.

Steinway "A". Roland LX 706. Viscount Sonus 45 hybrid organ with 165 real pipes. Harpsichord by Marc Fontaine.
DaEgg #3048190 11/22/20 07:20 AM
V
V
I always close the lid completely because of dust, humidity, and my piano is quite overpower to my living room. I purchased 3 wooden music shelf and place them atop (with felts as Vikendios) and have a same problem as Vikendios: the shelf is a little bit high, especially to my son.

I agree that dust still get in but with a thick, long cover, I recognize that dust is reduced significantly. However, as I read in a forum, we should open the lid now and then for checking and have indirect sunlight in.

A note: when I do that, not only piano sound volume is reduced but also tone is changed: a little bit darker, mellower.

VinV

David-G #3048195 11/22/20 07:51 AM
t
Originally Posted by David-G
Like ShiroKuro I always close the piano up completely when I finish playing - the fallboard, the fly-lid and the main lid. A friend had a grand piano that they kept with the fly-lid kept permanently open. The consequence of this was that the interior of the piano became absolutely filthy; and this was not in a particularly dusty area. I would never let my piano get like that.
I think the amount of dust that collects on the soundboard is a function of how much one keeps the windows open, how dusty a region one lives in and whether one raises the lid when playing(I never do). I never close the fly lid and have my tech dust the soundboard once a year although there's barely any dust on it. It takes him five minutes. I'd have to wait at least ten years without any dusting for the soundboard too look dusty but I rarely open the windows in the room. I've read it's better not to close the fallboard so some air can circulate around the keys and action but don't know if that's universally recommended.

Jeff Clef #3048208 11/22/20 08:59 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes Jeff. I was told to use cloth baby diapers too. There are, believe it or not, parents that for the environment still use cloth diapers. Still even more amazing they do so without a diaper service! I found some in the baby aisle at a Walmart supercenter The other thing I use and it’s easier to find is microfiber dusting cloths sold in Walmart or Costco in the automotive section. I don’t have an ostrich feather duster but I have a specific Swiffer duster only for the piano. I have 2 microfiber dust mits included when I bought the 2 Yamahas. We have a multitude of weapons for fighting dust buildup but the battle never ends. smile

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
j&j #3048231 11/22/20 10:49 AM
L
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
I have a specific Swiffer duster only for the piano.

j&j, can you link the one you have?

Do you use it for under string dusting as well.

I don't have a lot of dust laying around just want to be pro active here.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,338
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission