2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
39 members (Eli26, DaEgg, cozmopak, Almaviva, carlspost, 15 invisible), 440 guests, and 391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
#3046166 11/15/20 10:00 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
S
Junior Member
OP Offline
Junior Member
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
Hi,

Just like the title suggest I'm looking for pieces that will help me practice (and hopefully) improve my left hand movement.

Thanks!

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046172 11/15/20 10:47 AM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,854
M
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,854
It would help if you could advise what level. I have a couple of suggestions.




Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
Moo :) #3046177 11/15/20 11:07 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
S
Junior Member
OP Offline
Junior Member
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by Moo :)
It would help if you could advise what level. I have a couple of suggestions.




Hi yes thank you! I will take a look at those pieces. And I definitely should given a level, I believe I'm only playing at ABRSM grade 5 or 6.

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046181 11/15/20 11:30 AM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,854
M
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,854
The bach inventions within your abilities. Really helped me with left hand. You can have a look at other baroque pieces if these you don't find interesting. I'm playing invention number 12 which is currently grade 7 piece but perhaps slower speed it's much easier. I think they are all around grade 5-6 standard.

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046183 11/15/20 11:32 AM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 7,100
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Offline
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 7,100
Hi Sammy
Do an internet search for ‘music for the LH alone’. Many are quite advanced but they will really help with LH efficiency. ... at least they did for me.


"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046188 11/15/20 11:44 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,310
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,310
Hi Sammy,

Try this one: Chopin Prelude op. 28 no. 3 in G major

It was assigned to me many years ago for this purpose. To this day I've never actually played it outside of for technical development (and still probably couldn't at tempo). So don't let the recordings scare you away. However, I had guidance and feedback so I would be careful if you're doing this on your own.

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046204 11/15/20 12:31 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 28,445
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 28,445
I think most of the suggestions above with the exception of the Bach Inventions are too difficult, even if played somewhat slower than performance tempo, for someone at the ABSRM level 5 or 6.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/15/20 12:34 PM.
Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046249 11/15/20 03:05 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,327
S
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,327
Czerny has written a set of 24 studies for the left hand opus 718. That includes most usual configurations, passage work, alberti bass, arpegios, chords in varioys configurations, thirds, ....

I dont think you need to play all of them, but a small selection can be helpful.

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
pianoloverus #3046672 11/16/20 03:40 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
S
Junior Member
OP Offline
Junior Member
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think most of the suggestions above with the exception of the Bach Inventions are too difficult, even if played somewhat slower than performance tempo, for someone at the ABSRM level 5 or 6.

It's interesting that you say that because to me, the Bach piece seems like the most difficult. The Moszkowski, Czerny, and Chopin pieces seem easier in my opinion, because while they're meant to be played very fast, there is very little movement in the right hand, so I would really only have to focus on the left. However the Bach inventions, it's got two rhythmically and melodically independent lines that I would have to focus on at the same time.

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046673 11/16/20 03:41 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
S
Junior Member
OP Offline
Junior Member
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
Also thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I will look into playing most if not all of these pieces.

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046686 11/16/20 04:46 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 28,445
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 28,445
Originally Posted by sammyplayspiano
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think most of the suggestions above with the exception of the Bach Inventions are too difficult, even if played somewhat slower than performance tempo, for someone at the ABSRM level 5 or 6.

It's interesting that you say that because to me, the Bach piece seems like the most difficult. The Moszkowski, Czerny, and Chopin pieces seem easier in my opinion, because while they're meant to be played very fast, there is very little movement in the right hand, so I would really only have to focus on the left. However the Bach inventions, it's got two rhythmically and melodically independent lines that I would have to focus on at the same time.
The Chopin, Moszkowski, and most works for the LH alone are light years beyond the Bach in overall difficulty even taking into account the fact that the RH part is easy. Just look up their difficulty level on any of the rating systems if you doubt this.

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
pianoloverus #3046691 11/16/20 05:02 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 7,100
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Offline
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 7,100
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by sammyplayspiano
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think most of the suggestions above with the exception of the Bach Inventions are too difficult, even if played somewhat slower than performance tempo, for someone at the ABSRM level 5 or 6.

It's interesting that you say that because to me, the Bach piece seems like the most difficult. The Moszkowski, Czerny, and Chopin pieces seem easier in my opinion, because while they're meant to be played very fast, there is very little movement in the right hand, so I would really only have to focus on the left. However the Bach inventions, it's got two rhythmically and melodically independent lines that I would have to focus on at the same time.
The Chopin, Moszkowski, and most works for the LH alone are light years beyond the Bach in overall difficulty even taking into account the fact that the RH part is easy. Just look up their difficulty level on any of the rating systems if you doubt this.


If you look on imslp, yes the pieces are too difficult. That is why I suggested a Google search ‘beginner music for the left hand aline’.


"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
dogperson #3046699 11/16/20 05:30 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 28,445
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 28,445
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by sammyplayspiano
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think most of the suggestions above with the exception of the Bach Inventions are too difficult, even if played somewhat slower than performance tempo, for someone at the ABSRM level 5 or 6.

It's interesting that you say that because to me, the Bach piece seems like the most difficult. The Moszkowski, Czerny, and Chopin pieces seem easier in my opinion, because while they're meant to be played very fast, there is very little movement in the right hand, so I would really only have to focus on the left. However the Bach inventions, it's got two rhythmically and melodically independent lines that I would have to focus on at the same time.
The Chopin, Moszkowski, and most works for the LH alone are light years beyond the Bach in overall difficulty even taking into account the fact that the RH part is easy. Just look up their difficulty level on any of the rating systems if you doubt this.


If you look on imslp, yes the pieces are too difficult. That is why I suggested a Google search ‘beginner music for the left hand aline’.
Here's what you wrote:
"Do an internet search for ‘music or the LH alone’. Many are quite advanced but they will really help with LH efficiency. ... at least they did for me."

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046735 11/16/20 08:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,854
M
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,854
If you dont like Bach inventions because of 2 parts then I have the perfect piece. Its really good.



There is the bach prelude E minor from WTC 1. There is B minor transcription. I believe even its been done as a left hand alone. But I'm not a fan of these but the simple one I like.

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3046737 11/16/20 08:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,854
M
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,854
I cant find a good version online - sorry. My version has broken chords and I play it faster but this was a little too fast. Gives you an idea however. Good luck.


Last edited by Moo :); 11/16/20 08:20 PM.
Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3047249 11/18/20 03:21 PM
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 75
I
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
I
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by sammyplayspiano
Hi,

Just like the title suggest I'm looking for pieces that will help me practice (and hopefully) improve my left hand movement.

Thanks!

Scriabin's Prelude, Op. 9, No. 1 is a wonderful piece for left hand alone, it's not as difficult as it's more famous companion, the Nocturne, Op. 9, No. 2.


Pianist-in-training. Also an 19 year old who hasn't grown up at heart.

Fanboy of Edward MacDowell
Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3047274 11/18/20 04:38 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 78
T
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
T
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 78
There's the famous Prelude from Cello Suite No.1 in G major BWV 1007 by J.S. Bach. Though it was written for Cello, you can just download the sheet music from IMSLP and play the bass clef with the left hand. It's on my to do list. Here are a couple of nice performances of it by pianists on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhfxM5FOzjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrx8FqLBhfc


Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3047656 11/20/20 10:06 AM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 103
J
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
J
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 103

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
Moo :) #3047889 11/21/20 02:56 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
C
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
C
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Moo :)
If you dont like Bach inventions because of 2 parts then I have the perfect piece. Its really good.



There is the bach prelude E minor from WTC 1. There is B minor transcription. I believe even its been done as a left hand alone. But I'm not a fan of these but the simple one I like.


Note it's BWV855 and not 885 as written in the video.

Re: Pieces for improving left hand dexterity
sammyplayspiano #3048112 11/21/20 09:05 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 28,926
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 28,926
Moszkowski Op. 92 etudes.


Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,338
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4