2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Whew - last night I thought PianoWorld had dropped out of the universe! Glad it's back again this morning!

41. KevinM - Songs Without Words 30.6 and 19.4 Kevin, you are turning me into a Mendelssohn fan. I totally agree with your sentiments: the so-called simpler the score, the harder it is to translate into beautiful music. Those two Songs were very different; I’d say you did justice to both with your sparkly trills and polished dynamics.

42. sandalholme - Intermezzi Op116 Nos 5 and 6 More unfamiliar-to-me compositions. There was a haunting atmosphere, particularly in No. 5, which the Bluethner handled well. Intriguing!

43. selfishplayer - (only)Toccata and (no)Fugue in d minor BWV 565 Piano Transcription Gave up recording after only 5 tries? If I did that I probably would never have submitted anything laugh. (And remember it’s not a ‘failed goal’, it’s a ‘work-in-progress’.) Keep up the good work, you’re well on the way.

44. AssociateX (Liz) - Prelude in F# Major WTC 1 (BWV858) Wow! An accomplished - and magical - performance. Congratulations!

45. Talao - La Pastorale (Op. 100, No. 3) Welcome to the ABF Recitals, Talao. You’ve done a great job with this well-known Pastorale, I look forward to hearing more from you.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
S
S
A few more...

35. Flygbladet - Nocturne in E minor
Very nice performance!

37. Greta99 - Valse Lente, Op. 33
Sweet piece and absolutely lovely performance! What a nice touch you have, Greta!

41. KevinM - Songs Without Words 30.6 and 19.4
I much preferred your performance of the second piece, Op 19 No 4 over the first, Op 30 No 6. I think your playing is far enough along that some constructive feedback may be helpful to you. So please note that this is the spirit in which I provide it.

In your Op 30 No 6, note that the piece is written with a time signature of 6/8, and thus should be counted ONE two three FOUR five six, with the main accent on ONE and a lesser accent on FOUR. But instead you happen to be playing the left hand with a syncopated feel, accenting counts four and six. That isn’t what Mendelssohn intended, and it gives your performance of the piece a weird feel. (Feels to me more like being on a gondola during a storm, rather than upon a gentle Venetian channel. Makes me feel almost seasick!) Also, I realize that you say you’re having difficulty with the trills. If so, then leave them out and just play the primary note. After all, they’re just ornaments and should NOT cause you to have to dramatically slow down the tempo for over two measures just so that you can fit them in. That just interrupts what should be a very flowing feel. (Once again, this is a gondola song!) Finally, in measure 36 for the mordant, you’re playing a B sharp-C sharp-B sharp. But this piece is in the key of F sharp minor, and there is no B sharp in this key and there’s no indication of an accidental on the B. So it should be played as a B-C sharp-B.

In contradistinction, I think your Opus 19 No 4 performance was very well done! Congratulations!

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
A few more comments.

30. Purrblast - Prelude in E minor Very solid performance and not an easy piece to pull off with the repeated notes and lack of resolution until the end. If you plan to work on it further I would suggest heightening the drama that begins around 1:17 with a bigger sound. Great for 2.5 years of playing!

32. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Alla Turca from Sonata in A major KV 331 Great energy and technical control. Your performance has a sparkling, crystalline quality that captures the character of the piece. The piano’s sound and recording is top-notch. Congrats!

34. facdo - Sonata in Eb Major, K.282 Another impressive performance from you. Solid playing with clearly articulated voices.

35. Flygbladet - Nocturne in E minor Very solid performance delicately played with a tinge of melancholy.

36. Piano_primo - Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach#Sacred song "Schaffs mit mir, Gott", BWV 514 I enjoyed hearing the second version with the choir added. Played well and soulfully.

37. Greta99 - Valse Lente, Op. 33 I am not familiar with Merikanto. Your playing has a very natural musical flow and forward momentum.

R
R
Some more comments:

02. QuasiUnaFantasia - Prelude op. 28 no. 6
Very nicely played. You captured the emotions of this piece rather well.

03. wouter79 - celestial voices and vesper song, op.45 no9, 10
I’ve never heard anything by Heller before, but these pieces are nice. You did particularly well in the second piece.

07. pianist685 (Constantin) - Waltz A minor B.150
Excellent rendition of this lovely waltz. You’re interpretive approach is quite convincing. The word “wistful” comes to mind as I’m listening.

10. Tim Adrianson - Morning on the Milkweed
Interesting piece and excellently played.

11. vte - Andante from Sonatina Op 55 No 4
Well done, particularly since you started playing so recently.

13. Rich D. - Argentinian Dance No. 2
A sensitive and enjoyable performance.

19. rwsavory - Aria
Very nicely played. This piece is enjoyable.

23. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Deep River
Beautiful piece, expressively played

29. timmyab - Sonata k25
Nice playing of a difficult piece and I’m sure that with more practice you’ll get the tempo up.

30. Purrblast - Prelude in E minor
Excellent and emotionally convincing playing.

32. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Alla Turca from Sonata in A major KV 331
Wonderful! I really enjoyed this. I didn’t notice any wavering tempo.

33. winterflower - considering
Impressive improvising!

39. PikaPianist - Melodie Op.4, No.2
Absolutely wonderful performance of a beautiful piece.

40. Snejana - Sarabande
Expressive performance. I enjoyed this piece.

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
46. ShiroKuro - Energy Flow ShiroKuro, I can see why you fell in love with that composition, and I appreciated the explanation as to why it has remained so special to you over decades. Loved your performance on your precious C2!

47. psyche23 (Edwin) - Arabesque No. 1 What a superb performance. Bravo!

48. Stumbler / Dave - Sentimentale An original piece! That was short, sweet - and I think it was named appropriately. Very nice!

49. Kevin1116 - Piano Sonata in E-Flat Major Op. 27 no. 1 "Quasi una Fantasia" IV. Allegro Vivace Gorgeous! An amazing performance which I enjoyed immensely.

50. Qwerty53 - Valsette en bleu Loved the dreamy mood of this piece - and the great tone of your new Estonia. (I was too involved in your music to notice any pedal squeaks!)

51. Sam S - Song Without Words op 19-4 Beautiful! I smiled at your video subtitles, Sam, with your commentary and advice to ‘self’. What do I think about when I play? Along similar lines, but at a much more basic level - ‘oops, what key is this in again? Hope I don’t miss that jump. No, that’s an A way down there. Yay, so far, so good and only one bar to go … ‘ laugh

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted by wouter79
I suspect with 'notes of the accompaniment are uneven' you mean an unevenness in the volume - as timing sounds fine to me. Thanks but sorry but I just don't hear the unevenness. Maybe I played it too long, maybe I'll hear it one day. Till that day, there's nothing I can do with this.
Your rendition of the "Celestial Voices" is okay so far, just when I listen carefully I hear an unevenness of the arpeggios not only in terms of volume (you are almost missing one note or another here and there) but also in terms of timing (some notes come too early, others too late, I had the impression you were stumbling upon some of them). Again, I do apologize for this criticism that is a bit unfair since I am not a piano teacher and you have put so much work and effort in this difficult piece. And I should bear in mind that the recitals here do not have the aim to present reference recordings ready for being sold on a CD.

I
Ido Offline
I
More...

07. pianist685 (Constantin) - Waltz A minor B.150
I'll admit it took me some time to listen to your recording - it's because of the piece, which I've heard so many times and my ears are kind of tired of it. However, you really did an incredible job with it! I don't think I've ever heard it played that way. Kudos!

03. wouter79 - celestial voices and vesper song, op.45 no9, 10
I notice some consistency in your performances over the recitals. I think you have a great singing tone, heavy and full, where all the notes ring clearly. You also have a great dynamic range and you know when to apply it, which makes your recordings very pleasing to the ear.
However, I must join Constantin's comment about the evenness (or lack thereof). I think targeting and improving this area can take your playing to a new level.
In the first piece there are long spanned arpeggios, and it sound like you really step hard on the first note of each arpeggio, because you are in the rush to reach it. They sound uneven both time-wise and volume wise. Basically, it sounds like they are hard for you to play and like you cannot keep up with the chosen tempo.
It's not the only spot that's uneven, it is there in both pieces, though less apparent.
You say you cannot hear it (and that's what you wrote to me the last time I commented about it) - so I recommend finding a teacher who can help you hear it and develop the ear for that. Since you are so gifted in other aspects of playing, I wouldn't overlook this one, as it becomes more prominent and noticeable.

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Rachtoven
ve never heard anything by Heller before, but these pieces are nice. You did particularly well in the second piece.

Thanks, glad you liked them! He has a lot of nice etude-like short pieces. I have played quite a number of them also here in the recitals.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Just to say thanks to Rachtoven, barbaram, qwerty53, AndresVel, Serge88, AssociateX and MarieJ for your lovely comments.

PianogrlNW, I appreciate the comment to bring out the melody more. I'll be listening out for that now.

SamS, I love the Songs Without Words (SWW) like you do. I think it will take me a long time to reach 8, I've done 5 now and I think I've done well at cherry picking those ones which are just within my grasp. I suspect I am going to have to wait a few years now before I've picked up the extra skill to pick off some more. I think this will be the last of the SWW from me for the ABF recitals for quite some time.

SMA55, I really appreciate your comments about 30.6. I've been listening to the recordings a few times recently and I've realised I am a long way from happy with both of them. But I think your comments about putting weight on the wrong notes in each bar is valid and I'll be practising and listening out for it now. I think I know why it is (The first and fourth note in the left hand) are often the lowest and by some distance and for a long time I was missing the note as I was in too much of a hurry to move the left hand back towards the middle to play the remainder of the broken chord after playing. Meaning I was missing the bottom note quite often completely and I became tentative at playing those notes. So that now needs to be rectified.

I have an earlier recording of me playing Opus 30 No. 6 where I have played the trills as semi-quavers. I felt it lost too much, but the rhythm of it is better I think. This is played using a virtual piano with quite a distinctive sound, so it sounds quite different to recording submitted for the recital.

Songs Without Words 30.6 - missing trill

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Pianist685
Your rendition of the "Celestial Voices" is okay so far, just when I listen carefully I hear an unevenness of the arpeggios not only in terms of volume (you are almost missing one note or another here and there) but also in terms of timing (some notes come too early, others too late, I had the impression you were stumbling upon some of them). Again, I do apologize for this criticism that is a bit unfair since I am not a piano teacher and you have put so much work and effort in this difficult piece. And I should bear in mind that the recitals here do not have the aim to present reference recordings ready for being sold on a CD

Thanks Constantin for the additional clarification!

>Stumbling upon some
I think I hear what you are referring to now. I suppose you mean the small unevenness. Sometimes the second note is a bit early, or the last 2 are a bit crushed. It's only in a few measures. Ah yes this has been in my playing since the beginning and I suppose it will be there till the end, but the errors seem to get smaller over time smile

You're not unfair! As I mentioned already you have good ears, which makes your input very valuable. I don't care what your paper qualifications are or what exams you did or if you can play the piece. Of course this is not a reference recording, this is a fun recital with added value through valuable comments.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
21. Rachtoven - Prelude in C major, BWV 846

Just lovely. I nice ethereal sound you gave it.

22. Calavera - You're Not Alone

Always love your music selection from games. There are memory triggers from bit of this that make think of Elton John. But I can't tie it down. This is just lovely and played with a nice sensitive and assured touch.

23. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Deep River

So well done Ellen. You've conveyed the various moods so well. From the melancholy start to the feelings of hope. I love it.

24. meganr - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 926

Really well played. I'm not a big Bach fan, so it often needs to be played well for me to enjoy. You have done that.

25. Jason Lenthe - Reverie

Beautiful. My lack of listening skills mean I don't notice any problems. I just enjoyed it.

26. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Prelude in C Major (BWV 846)

Nicely played and your new piano sounds wonderful. I hope you gets lots of enjoyment from it for many years to come.

27. Peter Hontaru - The Little Ballerina

Just wonderful Peter. I am just so impressed by your progress, it truly is astounding, not just for its rapidity but that quality and musical sensitivity you bring to your playing. So well done. This is one of my favourites from this recital.

28. JJHLH - Waltz No. 10 in B minor

I enjoyed this. Played with great assuredness, it always feels like you are in complete control.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ido
notice some consistency in your performances over the recitals. I think you have a great singing tone, heavy and full, where all the notes ring clearly. You also have a great dynamic range and you know when to apply it, which makes your recordings very pleasing to the ear.
However, I must join Constantin's comment about the evenness (or lack thereof). I think targeting and improving this area can take your playing to a new level.
In the first piece there are long spanned arpeggios, and it sound like you really step hard on the first note of each arpeggio, because you are in the rush to reach it. They sound uneven both time-wise and volume wise. Basically, it sounds like they are hard for you to play and like you cannot keep up with the chosen tempo.
It's not the only spot that's uneven, it is there in both pieces, though less apparent.
You say you cannot hear it (and that's what you wrote to me the last time I commented about it) - so I recommend finding a teacher who can help you hear it and develop the ear for that. Since you are so gifted in other aspects of playing, I wouldn't overlook this one, as it becomes more prominent and noticeable

Thanks Ido for the detailed feedback and the nice comment!

I think I can hear a few places that you and Constantin mention. Thanks for the clarification!
In some places I do step hard on the first note deliberately, because imho the music line needs it (eg at 0:27). Not sure if you are referring to that.

You seem to say it's there basically all the time; but I don't hear that. Yes, this is very hard to impossible for me to hear.

It does not help anything that the teacher can hear it and can point it out. I need to hear it myself.

I have had teachers that could hear this and did point it out. I did even pick teachers that thought they could address this issue.

They would then point out single notes, and I would correct them But not because I heard it. I would just play that note softer than I would normally do.

One teacher had me play a scale (yes, the same one) for 2 years, I think in the hope of getting this more even. At times the scale got his approval, only to be bad again the next lesson. I would say it did not help, at least not at that moment. I could somewhat *feel* the unevenness, but I still did not hear it.

Seems I can hear this slightly better on a recording. But that does not help, because that does not fix my playing. At best, I would then fix it just as if a teacher would have pointed out that note.

If anything, it seems that I am getting more aware of this now I have no teacher. Maybe the words of my teachers are now settling down. Or maybe I still don't hear it. I'll leave it to others to judge whether this issue is improving smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Here is my first batch of comments. This is a really, really amazing recital all around!!!

01. jazzyprof - Song Without Words, Op.30 no.1 Lovely! The more I hear various Songs without Words, the more I want to start playing them myself. (Also, no butchering here!)

02. QuasiUnaFantasia - Prelude op. 28 no. 6 I don’t think I’ve heard this prelude before, but I really enjoyed your version of it! (I also got a laugh out of your comment about the different lengths of various pro recordings. Usually my problem is my version ends up 1.5 or 2x than everyone else’s!)

03. wouter79 - celestial voices and vesper song, op.45 no9, 10 Very pretty! And yes, your piano sounds very nice!

04. Ido - Little prelude in D major (BWV 925) Very nicely played! I have recently started playing some of Bach’s Little Preludes and after years of Einaudi, they are pretty challenging!

05. MarieJ - Gymnopedie No. 1 Your performance of this sooo famous piece is just wonderful! Truly expertly played. Your tempo is just right, and the recording sounds fantastic! This piece has grown on me (esp. since getting a grand has changed how I listen to chords…) but I know it’s more challenging that it appears. Perhaps I’ll try it one day. The only Satie I’ve ever played is Gnossienne 4 (the with –horrors- no measure lines!)

06. Peyton - Aria from The Goldberg Variations I could never be “Aria’d out” – I love this piece and never tire of hearing it. You play it so well! Also, I really like the tempo and pacing you have. (I really disliked one famous and controversial pianist’s recent recording of this Aria, but we don’t need to go there! :grin )

07. pianist685 (Constantin) - Waltz A minor B.150 Very nicely played. And I think your tempo is just right.

I feel like I’m reacting to tempo a lot this time around, perhaps because I’m been focusing on it a lot in my own playing. But regardless of whether something is fast or slow, there’s something that really clicks when the pianist is playing a piece at the tempo that works for them… it’s like the difference between the piece being convincing or not… Maybe… just thinking out loud here..

08. Barbaram - Milonga del Angel Oh I love this!! Very nicely played! I’ve not heard this one before. I don’t really know a lot of Piazzolla’s music (beyond the most famous ones like Libertango) but I always like the pieces I hear. If you struggled in your playing, I didn’t notice it!

09. Serge88 - Your Song Cool! Nice job with the arrangement!

10. Tim Adrianson - Morning on the Milkweed What an interesting piece! I’m not familiar with the composer but I really enjoyed your performance!

11. vte - Andante from Sonatina Op 55 No 4 Congratulations on your first ABF recital! Well done!

12. Ted Jones - Burst loveletter number nine Interesting as always! Do you choose the titles before or after? Or while you’re playing?

13. Rich D. - Argentinian Dance No. 2 This is another composer that’s new to me. Thank you for sharing it, I enjoyed your playing!

14. AndresVel (Andres) - Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh. 115) Congratulations on your first ABF recital – very nicely played! Also, thanks to you, I learned that this was not actual composed by Bach! I had no idea!!!

15. Mosotti - Arietta I am not familiar with very much of Grieg but I enjoyed your performance!

16. AlexKi - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples Well-done! I always enjoy this piece and you played it nicely!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SMA55
01. jazzyprof - Song Without Words, Op.30 no.1
I’m very impressed with your performance of this piece. You play it very evenly and execute on the notes nearly flawlessly. My only criticism is that in the piece’s B section, you’re leaving out several notes. Specifically, in each of measures 13-16, you’re tying over both notes of each dyad in beat 3 through to beat 4. But only the upper note of each dyad should be tied over. So what we’re hearing is an awkward silence on beat 4 in each of those measures, when we should be hearing a D played there in measures 13 and 15 and an F played there in measures 14 and 16. Make sense? Otherwise, you’ve done an excellent job on the piece, and I enjoyed listening to your performance!

Thank you so much for your detailed, substantive critique of my performance! This sort of feedback is why I love this forum so much. Ordinarily I would have to pay a teacher $80 an hour for the kind of constructive feedback you've given me for free! You've reminded me that I need to pay close attention to the score. I went back to the wayward measures (13-16) you pointed out and corrected the errors. And yes, I can now hear what Mendelssohn actually intended in those measures. Thanks again!

Now I get to comment on your piece.

32. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Alla Turca from Sonata in A major KV 331
Bravo! That was a wonderful performance, better than many professional recordings I've heard. Your articulation, phrasing, and dynamics are simply impeccable and your Steinway D sounds glorious. Congratulations!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
S
S
42. sandalholme - Intermezzi Op116 Nos 5 and 6
Certainly not my favorites of Brahms’ compositions, but I’m very impressed with your performances. Bravo!

47. psyche23 (Edwin) - Arabesque No. 1
I think you do a pretty good job with this piece. You know and play all the right notes. But I think you could take this to the next level if you would try focusing instead on the beauty and emotions of the piece and letting that dictate how you play it.

48. Stumbler / Dave - Sentimentale
Nice little composition and nice playing, Dave! Could easily see this piece in a movie. Wish it was just a tad more developed. But well done!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Here are the rest of my comments. Great job everyone!!!

17. dumka1 - Mazurka op. 6 no. 2 I didn’t know this Mazurka, but I enjoyed your performance of it!

18. Ganddalf - Siciliano Op.128 no.1 Interesting piece of music! Very nice!

19. rwsavory - Aria Ooh, I love this Aria!! I don’t know a lot of Scarlatti, but I recently started playing K466 so he’s sort of more on my radar now. I really loved this and your playing of it! Maybe I’ll put it on my “play next” list smile

20. JB_PW (Jen) - Prelude No. 3 in C Minor Congratulations on your first ABF recital! I have never heard of this composer but I really loved this piece! Your piano sounds very nice as well. I have only had the pleasure of playing on Seiler, but I liked it a lot.

21. Rachtoven - Prelude in C major, BWV 846 That was a great performance of one of my all-time favorites! Also, wow, another first-time participant! Congratulations!

22. Calavera - You're Not Alone I have really enjoyed your other submissions of Uematsu pieces, so I was looking forward to this and you did not disappoint! But now I really want to know what (who) you’re going to play next!! Do you play other Japanese composers (not in the gaming world), like Hisaishi or Sakamoto?

23. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Deep River Very nice playing!

24. meganr - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 926 Welcome back to the recitals (caring for a parent is hard, I’m glad you’re able to keep music activities going!) Great job with this prelude!

25. Jason Lenthe - Reverie Lovely! This is one of those pieces that I always want to play but it’s a little intimidating, you’ve done a great job with it!

26. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Prelude in C Major (BWV 846) Lovely, very nicely played and your new piano sounds great!

27. Peter Hontaru - The Little Ballerina This is another piece I’d not heard before but you play it beautiful!

28. JJHLH - Waltz No. 10 in B minor I always love hearing this waltz, you’ve done a nice job with it!

29. timmyab - Sonata k25 Oh what a great piece! I don’t know if you saw what I wrote above but I sort of have Scarlatti on my radar now, and so I especially enjoyed your performance!

30. Purrblast - Prelude in E minor A wonderful recording! And congratulations on your new family member!!!

31. Moo smile - opus 87 no 7 - A major fugue I know almost no Shostakovich music, so thank you for enlightening me!

32. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Alla Turca from Sonata in A major KV 331 very nicely played!! I always this of piece as just charming, and you did a great job of bringing out those qualities.

33. winterflower - considering “intermittently feign jazziness” – I like that!

34. facdo - Sonata in Eb Major, K.282 This was new to me (even though I think I am pretty familiar with Mozart’s piano works). Your recording was really superbly played and at 8+ minutes, impressive concentration. Especially given it was your first, wow!!

35. Flygbladet - Nocturne in E minor Ahh, that was lovely. I think I need to listen to more by John Field.

36. Piano_primo - Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach#Sacred song "Schaffs mit mir, Gott", BWV 514 Nice! You may be “keeping it simple”, perhaps, but still beautiful!

37. Greta99 - Valse Lente, Op. 33 That was well played, I enjoyed it since it’s a piece I don’t know.

38. JoBert - Erinnerung I really enjoyed that, I don’t think I’ve heard it before, overlooked as you say.

39. PikaPianist - Melodie Op.4, No.2 That was very nice, and I appreciated learning about the composer!

40. Snejana - Sarabande I have always found Handel some how intimidating (not sure why) but I really like your performance!

41. KevinM - Songs Without Words 30.6 and 19.4 Ahhh I love these, and you play them really well!! I really need to pick one of these and start adding them to my practice routine.

42. sandalholme - Intermezzi Op116 Nos 5 and 6 I was not familiar with this music either, but you played it very nicely!

43. selfishplayer - (only)Toccata and (no)Fugue in d minor BWV 565 Piano Transcription Fun! I always thought this sounded incredibly difficult, great job!

44. AssociateX (Liz) - Prelude in F# Major WTC 1 (BWV858) Very nice, I can see why it’s a favorite of yours!

45. Talao - La Pastorale (Op. 100, No. 3) Congratulations on your first ABF and in-person recitals! (I need to pop over to your other thread and see how the in-person one went!)

47. psyche23 (Edwin) - Arabesque No. 1 Beautiful!! This is such a lovely piece and you’ve done a great job with it!

48. Stumbler / Dave - Sentimentale So, I usually listen to the recitals while doing something else, and I take notes on my phone to come back later and post, it’s only then that I read everyone’s comments about their pieces. For your piece, this is what I wrote in my notes “lovely! Don’t know the music but very compelling.”

49. Kevin1116 - Piano Sonata in E-Flat Major Op. 27 no. 1 "Quasi una Fantasia" IV. Allegro Vivace Wow! Great playing, this is such a cool piece, really nicely played! I need to go and listen to your youtube with the whole sonata!

50. Qwerty53 - Valsette en bleu That was cool. Also I might have to get that book!

51. Sam S - Song Without Words op 19-4 Sam, that was a lovely way to end the recital! Beautifully played! Now I need to watch your video (will that make it Song … with words??)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
12. Ted Jones - Burst loveletter number nine Interesting as always! Do you choose the titles before or after? Or while you’re playing?

My titles are always applied after the event and are just labels enabling me to find things I want to listen to amid the huge heap of recordings. There is the odd exception of course. Thanks for listening.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ted
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

My titles are always applied after the event and are just labels enabling me to find things I want to listen to amid the huge heap of recordings. There is the odd exception of course. Thanks for listening.

I am one of those people who adheres almost religiously to the score in front of me, and I have never really even tried to improvise or compose/play something original, so that's fascinating!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
To everyone who comment my piece:

Qwerty53, thank you for your kind comments on my piece (and for listening twice!)

AndresVel, thank you for your comments, it sounds like we have a lot in common!! The road to a PhD is quite long, but it does (sort of) have an end point, while our musical journey continues to wind along as long as we continue on it/ smile

Stumbler, PianogrlNW, Peyton, Barbaram, Serge88, JB_PW thank you all!!!

Ido, I enjoyed listening to the link you posted. I always think that Energy Flow is sort of like... not jazz, but "jaszz-adjacent" and the link you posted struck as sort of like "bossa nova-adjacent" grin

Sam, thank you for your kind compliment! Sakamoto is one of my favorite composers! Just because I love Einaudi doesn't mean I'm not interested in variety! grin

MarieJ, thank you!!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
A few more comments

44. AssociateX Liz - Prelude in F# Major WTC 1 BWV858 I never really looked at this prelude. What a gem. Nice trills. I enjoyed this.

43. selfishplayer - onlyToccata and noFugue in d minor BWV 565 Piano Transcription You are ambitious. I picled up a copy of the Busoni transcription at one point. It was too scary. I tried a different transcription when I was a teenager that didn't have all that octave stuff. Don't know which it was, perhaps by Max Reger. I'm impressed, you've picked a real challenge.

42. sandalholme - Intermezzi Op116 Nos 5 and 6 I've heard neither of these before. Lovely playing, you seem to have complete command.

41. KevinM - Songs Without Words 30.6 and 19.4 I enjoyed your playing. Your trills are even and go gentle on the ear. Eventually they'll get easier.

40. Snejana - Sarabande I love some of the more languid peices in his suites. You give this a dreamy mood.

39. PikaPianist - Melodie Op.4, No.2 I haven't yet explored any of her works. As such I didn't notice any liberties. Beautiful piece.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission