2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
35 members (DaEgg, Eli26, EPW, Evgeny 85, FrankCox, cozmopak, Almaviva, 12 invisible), 435 guests, and 393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Pianoteq 7 has now been released
peterws #3047333 11/18/20 08:23 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@peterws: You realize, don't you, that your witicism on Piano World has received much competition from Pete14 for quite a few months now?
Indeed, he is posting more in this Digital forum that you have lately.
Step up your game (please)! smile
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by EPW
There something about having the strings vibrate on a real piano that I don't know if software can replace.

How do you know those ‘strings’ on that ‘real’ piano are not part of an all-encompassing simulation software, and that you, too, are simply part of that simulation?

We insignificant things have barely scratched the surface with our basic little simulations within the larger simulation. So yes, we can create a virtual personal assistant, namely, SIRI; or can we? No!

Although we believe with high certainty that indeed we are creators the truth is that we are no more than working bees simply following commands previously programmed by aliens into the all-encompassing simulation.

You think you have free will? Think again, bumbling bee; for that thing you just ‘created’ is no more than the sum of 0s and 1s previously ordained (programmed) by Timmy (aka The Alien). smirk

Think y'need to chuck in a bit of Religiosity here, Pete; you're nearly there. Stir up a hornet's nest . . .

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
QuasiUnaFantasia #3047629 11/20/20 09:00 AM
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
So I tried the demo version of Pianoteq 7 and initially I didn't know what to make of it. In fact my initial impressions was that with the new modelling across all pianos it sounded terrible. Maybe I had it set-up wrong but all my pianos sounded as if I was playing a piano in bathtub. So I watched a video of a review of PTQ 7 and the gentleman's NY Steinway sounded better than mine. So I changed the audio setting from Binaural to Stereophonic and that makes a big difference. When I play the pianos while wearing a headphone the binaural setting is now overwhelming. It's as if I've got soundwaves bouncing all around my head and everything is just mashed together and thin. It's as if I'm listening to a binaural sample binaurally if that makes any sense. The new 3D modelling becomes too much if you listen to these pianos in the binaural setting if you ask me. Once set to stereophonic everything clears up and I do like the sound of all my pianos. There seems to be more clarity and attack, a better bell-like tone and improved richness and depth overall to the digital pianos I purchased (Steinway B, Grotian, Bechstein). The NY Steinway sounds good but it plays as if I'm hearing the piano from a distance (in the player setting) rather than sitting in front of it. Again, I'm no Pianoteq expert and I own the stage version only. I just set my VPC-1 to the PTQ touch velocity and keep everything at the default setting other than changing the audio to stereophonic. The Pianoteq 7 has become my default piano when practicing on the VPC-1 once again. My Ravenscroft sounds nice but PTQ 7 has closed the gap and the playability of PTQ7 is leaps and bounds better than Ravenscroft in my moderate mac mini set-up.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
Chopin: G Minor Ballade

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
QuasiUnaFantasia #3047864 11/21/20 12:20 AM
F
F
Eat that, MacMacMac (Mini) wink

Fleer #3047867 11/21/20 12:47 AM
I'm prepared to eat aplenty ...
Originally Posted by Fleer
Eat that, (Mini) wink

But there's nothing to eat!
Originally Posted by Jethro
So I tried the demo version of Pianoteq 7 and initially I didn't know what to make of it. In fact my initial impressions was that with the new modelling across all pianos it sounded terrible.
In that statement I would only change one thing:
I'd replace Jethro's "initial impression" (which lasted perhaps a day) to "perpetual impression" (which, for me, has lasted about ten years). smile

Jethro #3047895 11/21/20 04:36 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
So I tried the demo version of Pianoteq 7 and initially I didn't know what to make of it. In fact my initial impressions was that with the new modelling across all pianos it sounded terrible. Maybe I had it set-up wrong but all my pianos sounded as if I was playing a piano in bathtub. So I watched a video of a review of PTQ 7 and the gentleman's NY Steinway sounded better than mine. So I changed the audio setting from Binaural to Stereophonic and that makes a big difference. When I play the pianos while wearing a headphone the binaural setting is now overwhelming. It's as if I've got soundwaves bouncing all around my head and everything is just mashed together and thin. It's as if I'm listening to a binaural sample binaurally if that makes any sense. The new 3D modelling becomes too much if you listen to these pianos in the binaural setting if you ask me. Once set to stereophonic everything clears up and I do like the sound of all my pianos. There seems to be more clarity and attack, a better bell-like tone and improved richness and depth overall to the digital pianos I purchased (Steinway B, Grotian, Bechstein). The NY Steinway sounds good but it plays as if I'm hearing the piano from a distance (in the player setting) rather than sitting in front of it. Again, I'm no Pianoteq expert and I own the stage version only. I just set my VPC-1 to the PTQ touch velocity and keep everything at the default setting other than changing the audio to stereophonic. The Pianoteq 7 has become my default piano when practicing on the VPC-1 once again. My Ravenscroft sounds nice but PTQ 7 has closed the gap and the playability of PTQ7 is leaps and bounds better than Ravenscroft in my moderate mac mini set-up.

I enjoyed the stage version and its limitations (simplicity), but the standard is so much better. You can do much more with version 7, like, adjusting hammer hardness (what a difference!) and 88 note volume control, not available on version 6 except in pro form.
I'd advise d/l the trial Standard first.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
QuasiUnaFantasia #3047961 11/21/20 10:43 AM
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
n that statement I would only change one thing:
I'd replace Jethro's "initial impression" (which lasted perhaps a day) to "perpetual impression" (which, for me, has lasted about ten years).

Now we know what your problem is. You need to go see an ENT doctor and have your "Ears" cleaned out MacMacMac wink

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
EPW #3047986 11/21/20 11:48 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
n that statement I would only change one thing:
I'd replace Jethro's "initial impression" (which lasted perhaps a day) to "perpetual impression" (which, for me, has lasted about ten years).

Now we know what your problem is. You need to go see an ENT doctor and have your "Ears" cleaned out MacMacMac wink

Alas, during lock-down, I suspect he'll have to buy the DIY ear syringe and experiment over the sink.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
QuasiUnaFantasia #3047988 11/21/20 12:02 PM
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
My MIL has hearing aids and Pianoteq version 5 she didn't like either. When version 6 came out it didn't bother her. She never could explain why version 5 did and version 6 was fine. So I do realize some will never like Pianoteq and that is fine. She hasn't heard me play Pianoteq's newest version so we shall see.

Jethro #3048021 11/21/20 02:14 PM
S
S

Interesting your note about the stereophonic/binaural output. After your post I did play around with this, as well as switching from mics to binaural in the microphone editor. My impression is the you can make the Steinways somewhat better and make the Bechstein a lot worse. So I'm still not sold on the Steinways.

QuasiUnaFantasia #3048031 11/21/20 02:42 PM
G
G
Here is Pianoteq's Grotrian Concert Royal recorded with real chamber music instruments for our Beethoven 2020 project.

The two excerpts in the video are the Trio for Clarinet, Cello and Piano Op. 11 and the Cello Sonata in G minor Op. 5 No. 2.

I can't wait to hear how it will sound with version 7.

We have posted the complete recording program here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...vative-project-on-ulule.html#Post3047674

Gibraltar #3048038 11/21/20 03:29 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by Gibraltar
Here is Pianoteq's Grotrian Concert Royal recorded with real chamber music instruments for our Beethoven 2020 project.

The two excerpts in the video are the Trio for Clarinet, Cello and Piano Op. 11 and the Cello Sonata in G minor Op. 5 No. 2.

We have posted the complete recording program here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...vative-project-on-ulule.html#Post3047674
Very nice! I love these pieces and I think the Grotrian is a great choice for this music. I've been looking for a project like this, how's the piano recorded, is it recorded with microphones with the other musicians or is it lined? Anyway, very nicely done!

Last edited by johanibraaten; 11/21/20 03:35 PM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Gibraltar #3048057 11/21/20 04:47 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

Agreed. This sounds lovely. I'm a hobbyist and aspiring songwriter. I have a bunch of Pianoteq instrument packs including the Grotrian. I find the Grotrian piano to be slightly less resonant which is perfect for songs that can get swamped from too much pedal. However, I found that the Grotrian in Pianoteq 6 had a slightly unnatural decay which led me to practice and play using different models. I don't detect this issue in Pianoteq 7.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
Gibraltar #3048086 11/21/20 06:37 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

The piano does need a bit o' reverb; it sounds like it's playing in a different room to the others, or it's a too-clean recording added digitally to the mix.

Last edited by peterws; 11/21/20 06:38 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #3048101 11/21/20 07:44 PM
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by peterws

The piano does need a bit o' reverb; it sounds like it's playing in a different room to the others, or it's a too-clean recording added digitally to the mix.

Well Peter of course it was played in a different room. Covid don't you know wink

QuasiUnaFantasia #3048118 11/21/20 09:53 PM
F
F
Found an interesting morphing example on YouTube:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUSituzkDcQ

QuasiUnaFantasia #3048146 11/22/20 02:45 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I've played NY Steinway in Pianoteq 7 a lot since release and I have to say this is probably my favorite sound in PT. It sounds very close to actual Steinway D. Sound is so deep and colorful, I didn't notice any downgrade to sound in other presets, although I have to admit I've spent ~70% of the time with NY Steinway. I will get back to them and then report back, all I can say for now that new preset is awesome.

Gibraltar #3048148 11/22/20 03:07 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Such a beautiful music and lovely piano playing! If only it was using a better virtual piano or even a real acoustic piano but I guess in this COVID situation that's the reality...

Last edited by CyberGene; 11/22/20 03:08 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
QuasiUnaFantasia #3048173 11/22/20 06:02 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I’m beginning to think that even real -flesh and bones- musicians will become somewhat obsolete soon (except for us, of course, ‘cause someone has to control them string VSTs).

Yes, there are ‘real’ musicians (I suppose) in this recording, but they’re not that much ahead of top-notch VSTs (have you heard ‘sample-modeling’ strings?)

I can only imagine Beethoven having access to this technology back then. He hated working with flesh-and-bones musicians and was known to have said on many occasions, “if only I could have an orchestra without the actual musicians”. Of course, his contemporaries thought him crazy for this, but Beethoven was so far ahead of the rest that I can see him visualizing a Mac Pro running hundreds of VSTs that would do exactly what he asked without complaining about pay, and without stabbing him in the back after rehearsals, “that stupid Beethoven thinks he’s a genius; I’ll show him who’s the real genius”.

I can see him composing/playing all his masterpieces at home using Pro Tools as a host for Pianoteq & friends; and then rendering, mastering, and releasing his works online (is it Spotify or iTunes? I’m old, so I don’t know). Occasionally he might also collaborate with ‘real’ musicians online, but only very rarely, and only if the first violin was a hot blonde! He also had a thing for brunettes!

Trust me, had this been the case, and we would’ve had even more Beethoven music, and might I add, less angry and more joyful Beethoven music!

Pete14 #3048177 11/22/20 06:10 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by Pete14
less angry and more joyful Beethoven music!
But we wouldn't want that, would we? shocked

Last edited by johanibraaten; 11/22/20 06:11 AM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
QuasiUnaFantasia #3048179 11/22/20 06:18 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hmm, you do have a point! wink

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,338
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission