2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (3B43, 36251, accordeur, ambrozy, Baltguy, A. Lucato, 23 invisible), 701 guests, and 531 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Acute Piano Search Indecision Syndrome (APSIS)
Lady Bird #3047774 11/20/20 05:25 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
At the moment I am going through a weird spell., I decided I would like a practice pedal if I really want to put more practice in (without driving my husband crazy ).My Sauter has a sostenuto pedal , a sustain and a soft pedal but no practice pedal .I do not like the add on device that I could put a practice pedal in with .
So oo, I heard there is a Schimmel K132 downtown. Actually a lovely piano and sensitive response . Yet when I play my Sauter , I just love the tone and it holds tuning so well.
So yes I am flrting with a very new Schimmel and I feel my piano somehow "knows it "
The Schimmel K132 also has a very nice tone too......

Perhaps this strange Covid time is causing part of the problem🤔

The Schimmel sounds like a medium sized grand as well.
You could ask the piano tech to install the practice rail inside your Sauter, then you can have the best of everything! So sorry for being off topic...

Rickster #3047798 11/20/20 06:12 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by Rickster
That said, I have 7 acoustic pianos, and a digital piano. I have two grand pianos in my music room, and an upright in my living room, one old upright in my detached garage, and 3 in my piano shop, two uprights and a grand, as well as my digital piano.

Why so many? Why not? smile

Rick

You’re My Hero!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
Lady Bird #3047807 11/20/20 06:24 PM
L
L
The K132 is from the best model Schimmel produces in Germany.
So yes I feel I have some kind of "fever"
And yes the practice pedal in the Schimmel is not just a heavy
felt practice pedal but something that sounds like a Celeste.
One can even practice expressively with it. 😢
What to do ?

If You like It - Make the Move!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
jmiley97302 #3047818 11/20/20 06:57 PM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Oh no, poor Ladybird. I know the feeling.

If cheating on a piano was possible this would be it.

Except, there is nothing unethical going on here.

Give it some time your feelings will guide you.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
jmiley97302 #3047820 11/20/20 07:25 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

5000 Post Club Member
I have a Baldwin M, so I'm biased. But I think it's a nice piano.

That said, 9k seems pretty steep, even from a dealer (IMO). Especially if it has issues. Check it out after the dealer has it serviced, and have it (or whatever piano you decide to pursue) inspected by a technician of your own choosing. For that price, it ought to be perfect, or at least perfect for you.

January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month
Mickey_ #3047821 11/20/20 07:28 PM

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mickey_
I've just wanted to post a "Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS)" thread in the Digital Piano subforum, and now I'm reading about this syndrome. I'm wondering whether they are somehow connected?

I hope you'll find your piano soon, jmiley97302!

I think all the various acquisition syndromes have the same root cause! wink

I've managed to avoid Piano Acquisition Syndrome, but at the moment I'm struggling with Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. I have four guitars, but I've been repeatedly eyeing a semi-hollow body 12 string I came across recently on Craigslist... crazy

January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month
Lucubrate #3047884 11/21/20 02:23 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
The K132 is from the best model Schimmel produces in Germany.
So yes I feel I have some kind of "fever"
And yes the practice pedal in the Schimmel is not just a heavy
felt practice pedal but something that sounds like a Celeste.
One can even practice expressively with it. 😢
What to do ?

If You like It - Make the Move!

~Lucubrate
The trouble is I cannot really make up my mind to lose the Sauter. There are certain "gems" in that piano......
The Schimmel is also a black piano and I really like polished ebony but the Schimmel's is "eye candy" to look at. The ,response is like Sauter's ,very good. The Sauter is more mellow ,perhaps more bell like , I am not sure . The tone of the Schimmel is different warmer perhaps, not bright when in tune but , perhaps more "American" but a sound really like a medium sized grand which is astonishing !
But is that what I need for life ? It has to be for life. I would also have to guide it through "its settling in period" It is confusing Lucubrate ,both pianos have much to offer.
My Sauter still sounds more mellow even when slightly out of tune .It had plenty of time to adjust in the store by the time I bought it . This Schimmel is just "out of the crate" Apparenty arrived in Canada in 2018 but was made either late 2015 or 2016.
There is another person interested in the piano., but I beleive there is also another K132 in the warehouse.(oh, oh ,oh )
The Schimmel is an unknown thing to me , in a way .There are 3 Sauter 130's in Vancouver and the lower mainland, I have tried all three and love them all.
🤔
None of them have a practice pedal .After the second time of playing the Schimmel I actually made up my mind to buy the Schimmel. The other day when I discovered it lost its tuning all my fears about the piano returned .So life is a muddle now and I have a sense of guilt even thinking about the Schimmel .......
not about about paying the extra $6,000 ,but towards Sauter and really do not know why ???

Learux #3047891 11/21/20 03:34 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Learux
Oh no, poor Ladybird. I know the feeling.

If cheating on a piano was possible this would be it.

Except, there is nothing unethical going on here.

Give it some time your feelings will guide you.
I am glad you can relate to this Leurux !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/21/20 03:35 AM. Reason: spelling
jmiley97302 #3047896 11/21/20 05:04 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Some years ago I was attending a symposium on square pianos. I was talking to one of the participants, from Germany, about the pianos that we owned. He had 22 pianos! His wife had only allowed him to come to the symposium on the strict understanding that he was not going to return with another one.

jmiley97302 #3047905 11/21/20 06:16 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I had a friend agers ago who had so many guitars he had to loan them out to friends. He had guitars out all over the state. I asked him why he did that, and he said if he let them all come home at the same time, his wife would divorce him...

Sam

Last edited by Sam S; 11/21/20 06:17 AM.
Sam S #3047922 11/21/20 08:49 AM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
I had a friend agers ago who had so many guitars he had to loan them out to friends. He had guitars out all over the state. I asked him why he did that, and he said if he let them all come home at the same time, his wife would divorce him...

Sam

Here’s hoping your friend’s friends were grateful and took good care of the loaned guitars. A very interesting but good way to share the good fortune and avoid divorce lawyers. smile

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
jmiley97302 #3048125 11/21/20 10:33 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
jmiley97302 OP, "stuck" is when you find out the piano you got rid of is better than the one you replaced it with. So, you're not really stuck. I would say that you're stopping short of a full-out attack of piano fever, and that this is a protective mechanism. Your nervous system is on your side here; let it be nice to you. Remember juke boxes? You put in the money, punch the keys, and the mechanism searches back and forth until it recognizes your selection: your favorite song. It is something like that, although your subconscious knows that you are going to be listening to whatever you pick, for a long time.

You have not found that little piece of heaven yet.

It is a hideous, but too true fact, of living through an economy which has crashed and burned, that there are people who will find it expedient to sell a piano for less than last year's market value. Your 5000 or 9000 cash bucks, or wherever you land with this, is magnified; there are people out there who would be mighty glad to have it. Techs and tuners often know when an instrument is coming into the market. I guess you're watching the classified ads, the obituaries, looking online, maybe touring the local shops, letting people in the industry know what you're looking for, and checking in with them every so often. Maybe even taking out an ad yourself, in a small local paper. This can pay off.

In normal times, a piano depreciates something like a car, except that it happens over a much longer time span; we think of fifty years. But when you're stepping off the Titanic into a lifeboat, you know the piano cannot come too. The cash, on the other hand....

For a person who plays for several hours a day, a piano which is nearing the end of its musically useful life is not the right one. The rule of thumb (staying as far away from fifty as you can get) is a general one, and there will be exceptional cases. But the person who will tell you that, is your consulting technician, who will read the piano's true story, and give you a pretty good picture of its future--- and I did not hear you mention this valuable person even once. Maybe it's because in your heart, you knew that none of what you have seen so far was worth troubling a tech over. She or he can rescue you from an ocean of tears.

I'll give you credit--- forty pianos! And you said No to all forty. Perhaps you remember Carol Burnett's performance in "Once Upon a Mattress." Forty featherbeds, and she woke up complaining that there was armor under her mattress. Well, there was, but this deft reworking of "The Princess and the Pea" really showed the heart of the matter: the test for true sensitivity. She was the real thing; the prince's friends just wanted to make sure. This is where the tech comes in. Put it all together and you can live happily ever after, too.

Best of luck! Let us know. We love these stories.

Clef

K8KT #3048210 11/22/20 09:07 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by K8KT
At the moment I am going through a weird spell., I decided I would like a practice pedal if I really want to put more practice in (without driving my husband crazy ).My Sauter has a sostenuto pedal , a sustain and a soft pedal but no practice pedal .I do not like the add on device that I could put a practice pedal in with .
So oo, I heard there is a Schimmel K132 downtown. Actually a lovely piano and sensitive response . Yet when I play my Sauter , I just love the tone and it holds tuning so well.
So yes I am flrting with a very new Schimmel and I feel my piano somehow "knows it "
The Schimmel K132 also has a very nice tone too......

Perhaps this strange Covid time is causing part of the problem🤔

The Schimmel sounds like a medium sized grand as well.
You could ask the piano tech to install the practice rail inside your Sauter, then you can have the best of everything! So sorry for being off topic...
Thanks for the suggestion .I thing you must be suggting a device like the following. I had thought about it but decided I do not like the look of the plunger.
I also do not think I can add to the piano without it affecting the warranty from Sauter .

jmiley97302 #3048216 11/22/20 09:39 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L

Lady Bird #3048228 11/22/20 10:43 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

That YT video was interesting, Lady Bird. I had never seen or heard of the "plunger" device to activate a mute rail. Seems like a good alternative to the traditional middle medal mute rail, if a piano happens not to have the option.

However, I can see why you would not like the looks of the plunger button sticking out under the piano keyboard frame. It does look rather unsightly and odd, though it serves the purpose well.

By-the-way, in the video, the console piano sounded better with the mute rail engaged than without, if I should say such a thing.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
jmiley97302 #3048232 11/22/20 10:53 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Yes that little piano did sound better with the practice pedal / plunger engaged ! When I think "plunger "I think of a different appliance not related to pianos ., not pleasant ........
However it serves the purpose well ,just not attractive.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/22/20 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling
jmiley97302 #3048241 11/22/20 11:18 AM
E
E
I have had my Schimmel for 3 years now, a K219 purchased new, and everyday I play it is pleasure beyond words.

My technician says it is a very easy piano to tune, and maintains it's tune very well, anecdotal I know, but I don't think you will be disappointed with the Schimmel.

I rarely post, but I do love my Schimmel.

Lady Bird #3048253 11/22/20 11:51 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Yes that little piano did sound better with the practice pedal / plunger engaged ! When I think "plunger "I think of a different appliance not related to pianos ., not pleasant ........

It's not just the 'plunger', that whole addon muffler rail seems very cheap, flimsy and wobbly compared to factory fit. The actuating mechanism does't need to be a plunger either - any cable pull mechanism could be used - my k800 has such an under keyboard muffler actuation (as the middle pedal is given over to the sostenuto) but the cable pull is a discrete horizontally pivoting lever not that pushme/pullme design.

gwing #3048370 11/22/20 06:02 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by gwing

It's not just the 'plunger', that whole addon muffler rail seems very cheap, flimsy and wobbly compared to factory fit. The actuating mechanism does't need to be a plunger either - any cable pull mechanism could be used - my k800 has such an under keyboard muffler actuation (as the middle pedal is given over to the sostenuto) but the cable pull is a discrete horizontally pivoting lever not that pushme/pullme design.
I am sure the K800 has a very nice way of switching from the sostenuto. Likewise the YUS5 has a sophisticated way of doing it .
For that little piano which is not new on which the video it is not too bad. I would be afraid to ask someone to do this on my piano.One would need at least something that looks like factory quality, as well as working properly on a newish piano.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/22/20 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Epee #3048377 11/22/20 06:24 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Epee
I have had my Schimmel for 3 years now, a K219 purchased new, and everyday I play it is pleasure beyond words.

My technician says it is a very easy piano to tune, and maintains it's tune very well, anecdotal I know, but I don't think you will be disappointed with the Schimmel.

I rarely post, but I do love my Schimmel.
Hi Epee,
Considering that you rarely post , I am thankful for your reassurance. Yes I am keeping an eye on the Schimmel. I need in fact to work out when the piano will have been in the
store a month., Then suggest they tune it again . A very new piano is a little like a "wild child" So I shall have to be patient if I am to get a new piano. I cannot believe I am writing about buying a new piano and trading in my Sauter.
I am also thinking of ordering a different model "blind" from Sauter with a practice pedal .There have been people here who have done it and do not report problems with the piano they have received.
I did carefully choose my own piano,but over the years have noticed a remarkable consistency in Sauter pianos.
It is good to know you love your Schimmel K 219 .You are the third person to tell me how much they love their Schimmel piano. Yesterday someone sent me a PM to say how much they enjoyed their K124 upright.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/22/20 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2020 Petrof P-125
by Drew92 - 01/17/21 11:57 AM
Moving the Steinway Across the Country
by Greg Midi - 01/17/21 10:35 AM
First DP in 30 years
by Moggul - 01/17/21 10:24 AM
I just discovered music of Violet Archer
by iamandrew3 - 01/17/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,324
Posts3,047,799
Members100,095
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission