2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (36251, accordeur, Anglagard44, 3B43, bobrunyan, aesop, anotherscott, 17 invisible), 710 guests, and 514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
How influenced are you by social media?
#3047435 11/19/20 07:34 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
I was prompted to start this thread after watching something on TV earlier, where a chewy green vitamin pill in the shape of a bear is being promoted as an easy way to increase hair growth (bears are hairy & furry, as those of us who've cuddled grizzlies know) by some social media 'celebrities' (who I've never heard of) on Instagram etc. Those pills cost about twenty times that of similar vitamin preparations in plain pill form & plain packaging from a supermarket. And the manufacturer of those gummy vitamin bears is raking in £$€ by the sackful.

My first thought was, in the immortal words of John McE: "You cannot be serious!"

However, I've never been on any social media of any sort (partly because of my job) but though I don't think I'm influenced by any media - or other people -, I probably am to some extent when deciding what and who I want to listen to. Though as most of my listening is to (classical) radio, where I have no control over the music being played, I do end up listening to lots of stuff that I wouldn't have chosen to buy recordings of, nor attend concerts for. Sometimes, I'm intrigued and want to know and listen more; other times, I'm indifferent and switch my mind towards preparing my gourmet meal wink (or whatever I happened to be doing whilst listening). Very occasionally, I really can't stand the music (or what passes for it) - or, even more rarely, the performer -, and turn the radio off.

But I believe that for many (most?) people, social media is where they get most of their information of the world, including the musical world. Mostly pop, but classical too, especially among the young who grew up with Facebook et al and never known a world without the internet. After all, we regularly get posts here about pianists who are in the social media limelight, much more often than (arguably) better musicians who aren't. I name no names......but it seems those posters are no longer active in PW.

So, do you think you're influenced (easily or uneasily wink ) by social media - or indeed any media - in your likes & dislikes of performers and composers and music, and in what way?

N.B. No politics please.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: How influenced are you by social media?
bennevis #3047454 11/19/20 09:17 AM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The only social media I follow are pianoworld forum and youtube. And yes they have a big influence on me regarding music and piano. On youtube I watch anything related to piano.

But can you give us more info about those pills ? Do they really increase hair growth ? shocked

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

bennevis #3047480 11/19/20 10:42 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm OK because it's not me who gets influenced. I do influence them 👹 JK

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
bennevis #3047495 11/19/20 11:23 AM
B
B
I'm not influenced at all. The only social media I follow is Twitter and a few political blogs, aside from news aggregates. My current musical tastes are almost exclusively classical, and anything else out there doesn't hold any interest for me. The stuff that might interest me, like Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, Cream, are too old and aren't out there making the rounds anymore. The classical music I listen to I generally find something I like and focus on it exclusively for a fair bit of time until it exhausts my attention.

Last edited by Blague; 11/19/20 11:27 AM.
bennevis #3047498 11/19/20 11:31 AM
A
A
Since I grew up in a rural town far away from any classical music scene, my piano education came entirely through YouTube. I assume this is true of most people of my generation. My appreciation of Sokolov and Hamelin probably wouldn't have happened without their YouTube followings. I don't think I know anything about what goes on in social media circles with regards to classical music.

bennevis #3047500 11/19/20 11:34 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Nope.

bennevis #3047526 11/19/20 12:51 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Perhaps I am the exception here because I visit Facebook daily to share stories, photos and jokes with people I know personally, my actual friends and relatives. I belong to a neighborhood FB group that shares local information and alerts. I have my privacy settings at the maximum. I do not look at the ads. I do not use it as a news source. I do no participate in obvious attempts to gather personal data.

I read 3 newspapers every day: The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Seattle Times. I check ABC news and BBC online at least once a day. To gain perspective, I frequently take sips (online) from right and the left news sources. I always verify news sources.

PianoWorld has influenced me by introducing me to new music. I use YouTube for classical music and I completely ignore the ads.

I have the time to stay informed because I am retired.

Best regards,

Deborah
bennevis #3047557 11/19/20 02:39 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I forgot to mention this but since the lock down, I’ve pretty much stopped listening to the radio because my listening was confined to the car and now I rarely go anywhere. I used to listen to the headlines, weather and traffic and then would switch to the local classical station. I agree with the OP regarding the musical selections which would either delight me or cause me to shut off the radio.

Best regards,

Deborah
Serge88 #3047559 11/19/20 02:41 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Serge88
But can you give us more info about those pills ? Do they really increase hair growth ? shocked
Apparently, the biotin and selenium in those green gums can turn you hairy, so the manufacturer claims wink .

I just looked at the label on my cheap bottle of 'complete vitamins and minerals' (which I take on long mountaineering expeditions, where I have to survive exclusively on freeze-dried packaged foods for weeks or months at a time) and - lo and behold! - it contains the same amount of biotin and selenium (as well as everything else)......but it makes no claims about turning anyone into a hairy monster.

Just as well, as I'm no Harry (and don't want to be).......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #3047568 11/19/20 03:00 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Well, musically not so much influenced as tempted to listen to things I wouldn't have considered before. That's usually from PW (after all, I finally listened to the Hammerclavier because of you lot), but occasionally on Facebook (members of family often have different tastes in music - quite a few like jazz :o, for example). But actually it's almost anywhere that will make me go and listen - BBC ran an article on Kylie Minogue, so I listened to some of her songs; nope, not for me really, but one never knows: many years ago somebody mentioned Tina Turner and I have a few CDs that SWMBO is rather fond of (OK, I admit it: I like a few of the songs).

Now, about that hair restorer......

regards
Pete
gooddog #3047569 11/19/20 03:10 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by gooddog
I forgot to mention this but since the lock down, I’ve pretty much stopped listening to the radio because my listening was confined to the car and now I rarely go anywhere. I used to listen to the headlines, weather and traffic and then would switch to the local classical station.
When I listen in the car (I drive about an hour a day to & from work: lockdown made the driving easier, with less traffic), BBC Radio 3 would have its breakfast and evening drive-time programs on (mostly shorter pieces and single movements of longer works, as well as interviews with performers and composers), so I have no idea what music would be played, nor which musicians would feature. News in those programs is confined to a three-minute slot on the hour, which is enough for me - especially as it includes news on classical musicians (who has passed, the return of live concerts etc)

So, I end up listening to a lot of music I've never heard before, as well as hearing many diverse musicians (which often prompt me to investigate further) - mainly classical, but also the occasional folk and jazz musicians. It's usually the jazzers that make me switch off........

bennevis #3047582 11/19/20 04:04 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Apart from PW (is a forum such as this considered a social medium?) and the occasional specific search on YouTube, I now avoid social media like the proverbial plague.

With no disrespect to others who adhere to FaceBook, I have found it one of the biggest time wasters the Internet has invented. That is, painstakingly having to get rid of "people you may know," all of whom I don't know and wouldn't want to, or reading (or ignoring) forwarded posts in which I have no interest. The idea of linking me to a friend of a friend of a friend makes absolutely no sense. It's just clutter. Moreover, why in the heck do I want to see pictures of the latest sleep position of someone's cat? I guess the answer is that I am just not social! I can live with that; I have for years.

If I want to send something to someone, I do it via email and it goes to only those (I think and hope) might find some interest in it.

Bottom line: I am not influenced by social media. I could have answered the question in ten words or less. smile

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 11/19/20 04:07 PM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #3047588 11/19/20 04:36 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
Apart from PW (is a forum such as this considered a social medium?) and the occasional specific search on YouTube, I now avoid social media like the proverbial plague.
By amazing coincidence, I'm presently watching a program on "The Great Plague" (the bubonic plague that hit Britain in 1665) on TV right this moment.

Hmmm, I'm keeping a beady eye out for body lice and fleas.......as well as a spiky virus cry.

bennevis #3047611 11/19/20 05:46 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I am not influenced by social media at all. I am not influenced by friends or family either, because I never discuss politics, religion, or abortion with friends or family - that's a rule in our house.

I have a facebook account, but I only use it to post announcements of events I host for my orienteering club. I don't have any "friends" on facebook, so I guess I am using it in an unintended way. I never visit the site for anything else.

I don't do twitter either - from what I have heard, it is awful people trying to score points against other awful people. If you do twitter - I apologize - you must be the exception!

I do watch videos on youtube - woodworking videos - it is just amazing what clever and talented people have shared in videos. I love watching someone build something - and then I go out to my workshop and make my own version. I follow a few musicians/teachers on youtube, like Josh Wright.

For news, there are a few sites that I visit that I trust, and I avoid everything else. Of course, my US State is now the focus of national politics, and will be until January. My vote is secret, and I keep it that way.

And I visit Piano World daily. I manage the online recitals, and that is very rewarding - we just had quarterly recital #60 in the ABF - that's 15 years of online recitals...

Sam

bennevis #3047791 11/20/20 05:52 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I tried Facebook some years ago with a view to finding people from my youth with whom I had lost touch. I found a few but none was interested in further communication so I deleted my account. In general social media seems to be like television except worse, to quote Robert Hughes, “a cornucopia of dung”. I cannot understand how anyone can possibly have several hundred “friends” and wish to be constantly updated about everything from barber to bowel motion amid a deluge of mindless aphorisms. Messenger and similar applications are handy for free international phone calls, I suppose, but even that is a two-edged sword if it turns into an incessant bombardment of idle gossip in the early hours.

So no, I am only influenced through what I hear about it from others in the household, and I could easily do without that.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
bennevis #3047857 11/20/20 11:09 PM
I
I
I'm 29, so I'm a millennial. I try to keep my social media use to a minimum but certainly I am influenced by it. I view videos on youtube and browse reddit. I used to use facebook but that kind of faded away after a while.

bennevis #3049090 11/24/20 05:00 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
My taste for classical music and all the other fine arts is not at all under the influence of social media, although I follow the mainstream channels. It is seldom the case that one can 'chat' about the quality of a recording of the first piano trio op.18 by Saint-Saëns for instance, or the difference in the use of colour between Signorelli and Giotto: politics and jokes, and the occasional really important message are in those socials, art isn't.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
bennevis #3049122 11/24/20 06:27 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a Facebook account I check about every 3 months...i.e., I am not and active Facebook user. I have never signed up for Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok, though I get plenty of that content in some of the blogs I read. I use YouTube sometimes to check out live performances, though I prefer to just look up performances on Spotify, which makes it easy to compare different performances of the same piece. Spotify has an amazingly broad selection of classical music.

August Förster 215

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES920 Bug Report!
by Chummy - 01/16/21 09:36 AM
I have an announcement, LOL...
by ebonykawai - 01/16/21 09:17 AM
Petroff Piano Competition 2021
by Piano World - 01/16/21 09:16 AM
Grey areas with Pedal use?
by Visalia - 01/16/21 07:56 AM
Plastic Birds
by YakovB - 01/16/21 07:36 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,287
Posts3,047,234
Members100,077
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission