2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3046432 11/16/20 04:58 AM
Q
OP Offline
Q
I want to buy the following item in order to assemble an hifi system for my dp:

Lonpoo lp42

Nobsound Tone

What are your thoughts about these?

O
O
No.

Buy yourself a reasonably priced set of powered monitors. They offer the flat response a DP needs.
Any hifi system will colour the tone, introduce latency and possibly annoying hiss.

I play through a set of Edifier powered monitors (around $150) and they are miles better than any of the hifi systems I've tried to plug through.

Flat response studio monitors. If it's just for home, 20W a side is plenty. Near field if you're gonna sit them on top of your DP.

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A hifi system won't introduce latency ... but that bluetooth device will.
Whatever speaker system you choose, make sure that it can be connected to the piano by wires, not by radio link.

The speakers you chose cost 64 EUR. You described the price as "cheap". But I'm betting the sound will be cheap, too. I'd be reluctant to use those.

Q
OP Offline
Q
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
A hifi system won't introduce latency ... but that bluetooth device will.
Whatever speaker system you choose, make sure that it can be connected to the piano by wires, not by radio link.

Piano is wired Bluetooth just for mobile device streraming.

The speakers you chose cost 64 EUR. You described the price as "cheap". But I'm betting the sound will be cheap, too. I'd be reluctant to use those.

That speker are passive so the price is lower than an amplified one like Edifier.

What I meant was ... I recommend better speakers.
If you cannot currently spend several hundred dollars for speakers, then don't buy cheap ones.
You'd be wasting money. Save up for something decent.

We're moving soon and I need to get rid of equipment I don't use and don't need.
I could give you speakers for free that are likely better than what you've chosen.
Where are you located?

Q
OP Offline
Q
What I meant was ... I recommend better speakers.
If you cannot currently spend several hundred dollars for speakers, then don't buy cheap ones.
You'd be wasting money. Save up for something decent.

We're moving soon and I need to get rid of equipment I don't use and don't need.
I could give you speakers for free that are likely better than what you've chosen.
Where are you located?
Really kind but i’m from Italy.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
You don't need a DAC in your headphone amp because your DP has a DAC in it. The headphone output of your DP is likely noisier than the line level output, so I recommend using the line out. To use the line out of your DP for both monitors and headphones, I recommend using a small mixer as headphone amp, for instance:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mix5--mackie-mix5-5-channel-compact-mixer

This will also give you the flexibility of running the Main Out to powered monitors or running the Tape Out to a consumer stereo AUX/CD/Tuner input and have the line levels match. Running pro line level into a consumer line level input (eg plugging your DP line out directly into a consumer stereo) will be a line level mismatch that will result in dynamic range compression, and could damage the stereo amp.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
Q
OP Offline
Q
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
You don't need a DAC in your headphone amp because your DP has a DAC in it. The headphone output of your DP is likely noisier than the line level output, so I recommend using the line out.
A lot of dp doesn’t have the line out, thats the main issue. Moreover i don’t like headphone.
Anyway seems that headphone could be used as line out:

Headphone outputs used as line outputs for line level gear

Last edited by QuasarPiano; 11/18/20 05:32 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by QuasarPiano
You don't need a DAC in your headphone amp because your DP has a DAC in it. The headphone output of your DP is likely noisier than the line level output, so I recommend using the line out.
A lot of dp doesn’t have the line out, thats the main issue. Moreover i don’t like headphone.
A DP that does not have a line out probably doesn't have audio out over USB either (which is where you would need an external device with a DAC). You're probably limited to headphone out. (I'm leaving out the bluetooth possibility because of latency.)

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by QuasarPiano
Anyway seems that headphone could be used as line out:

Headphone outputs used as line outputs for line level gear

You would get better replies if you posted the model of DP and model of headphones you are using. Finding good headphones efficient enough for your DP to drive them and using the speakers in your DP is likely your best option.

Whatever it is though, I doubt it can drive passive speakers without an amp.

Yes, you can use the headphone out as a line out, but any noise will be amplified by the sound system. You likely are better off with the builtin speakers of the keyboard. The linkyou pisted corroborates the noise issue with headohine output stages:

So can a headphone output be a workable substitute for a line level output in other situations? Sure, in a pinch it will usually work okay. Headphone amps usually aren’t as free from noise and distortion as good line amps, but in many situations they can be used without significant degradation in overall sound quality. Of course, your results will vary.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Typos corrected...

You would get better replies if you posted the model of DP and model of headphones you are using. Finding good headphones efficient enough for your DP to drive them and using the speakers in your DP is likely your best option.

Whatever your DP is though, I doubt it can drive passive speakers without an amp.

Yes, you can use the headphone out as a line out, but any noise will be amplified by the sound system. You likely are better off with the builtin speakers of the keyboard. The link you posted corroborates the noise issue with headphone output stages:

So can a headphone output be a workable substitute for a line level output in other situations? Sure, in a pinch it will usually work okay. Headphone amps usually aren’t as free from noise and distortion as good line amps, but in many situations they can be used without significant degradation in overall sound quality. Of course, your results will vary.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
When I get back East, I will use my 1977 Pioneer receiver and 1971 JBL L-100 Studio monitors and see how they sound with my Kawai MP-11 and ES-110.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Yes, you can use the headphone out as a line out, but any noise will be amplified by the sound system. You likely are better off with the builtin speakers of the keyboard. The linkyou pisted corroborates the noise issue with headohine output stages:

If the noise is bothersome... For electronics service folks it is usually not difficult to trace the line signal before the headphones amp and install a line out socket. Of course, one may not want to mess with this while in warranty.

Has the piano in question been identified? Maybe I missed it?

But if this is a low-end piano then the sound quality might not be worthy of intense discussions about signal quality at the headphone jack.
Just go for it. As the commercial says ... "plug it in, plug it in."

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Whatever your DP is though, I doubt it can drive passive speakers without an amp.
In the OP he is proposing buying a pair of passive speakers and a 50 w/ch amp.

Q
OP Offline
Q
So at the end i buy the Speaker and Amp in main post. They work well, but the sound seems like it’ll be a screen. I try the system on my pc and they work well. So i take the actual monitor of my pc, two krk RP4 Rockit G3, and wired them to the dp. The monitors are active so i have just used the headphone directly in the unbalanced plug of the monitors.
The quality of the sound now is much better anyway the quality level is not the still the same of the internal speaker; the volume and the bass now are really high but the sounds seems slightly muddy and some lower octave too boomy.
Maybe a mixer with eq control could improve the sound?

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
>Maybe a mixer with eq control could improve the sound?

Maybe a little bit, but you can't do magic with a simple eq. Some folks do measure the freq response and use complex eq to compensate, but what it takes tend to cost more than better speakers. iLoud MTMs can do it automatically with a mike... but opinions over the efficiency of this are mixed. Problem is, a flat amplitude freq response is not sufficient.

Q
OP Offline
Q
Originally Posted by _sem_
>Maybe a mixer with eq control could improve the sound?

Maybe a little bit, but you can't do magic with a simple eq. Some folks do measure the freq response and use complex eq to compensate, but what it takes tend to cost more than better speakers. iLoud MTMs can do it automatically with a mike... but opinions over the efficiency of this are mixed. Problem is, a flat amplitude freq response is not sufficient.

So i need better speakers? But mine are good entry level, about 120€ each one, how much i have to spend?

O
O
What model Piano do you have?

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
Q
OP Offline
Q
Casio CDP S100

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission