2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (accordeur, ambrozy, 3B43, 36251, BeWater, Baltguy, 23 invisible), 708 guests, and 542 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Recital #60 --- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital #3046746 11/16/20 09:10 PM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
06. Peyton - Aria from The Goldberg Variations Peyton, how could anyone be ‘Aria’d out’ when this was on offer? A joy to listen to!

07. pianist685 (Constantin) - Waltz A minor B.150 I loved the tempo you chose, and your dynamics; your rendition was a delight.

08. Barbaram - Milonga del Angel Isn’t it satisfying when you revisit a troublesome piece, and suddenly find it becoming manageable? Congratulations, your hard work is paying off and you have every reason to be happy with your progress!

09. Serge88 - Your Song I liked your beginner/advanced arrangement - not much of the ‘beginner’ there! The camera angles on the video were interesting too. Really well done.

10. Tim Adrianson - Morning on the Milkweed Bright, sparkly and refreshing, Tim - I did enjoy that!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LX

My C3 - solace. And joy.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
AB Forum Recital #3046752 11/16/20 09:47 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well done. I will comment again on the Mendelssohn as my fav composer and I know the pieces well.

1. Jazzyprof - SWW Op30no1

The first section was really smooth. My interpretation of the second was less smooth given the dynamics on the score. I did like your tempo though. I had it very slow when I submitted in nov 2017. Nicely done.

39. Pikapianist - Op 4 no 2

It is great piece. I though the melody was projected beautifully. Can be hard to find the scores of her music though.

41. Kevin - Opus 30 no 6

Its very nicely controlled and smooth. My suggestion for the long trills is work up the speed. Its usual to start slowly but then get faster quickly to get to full speed. I think it needs very small movements with fingers close together.

41 / 51. Kevin / Sam Op 19 no 4

I enjoyed the piece. I enjoyed all the little details of the piece Sam. I have a couple of suggestions to help you bring out the harmonic line at the start. You can do this by bringing out the harmonic line. I see the harmonic line as moving by step e.g. A, A-B-Csharp, Csharp-D-E. etc. but its also done by keeping the non-harmonic notes quiet. The non-harmonic notes, eg. the E, C sharp between the first Csharps are not harmonic and especially true of the A repeated notes in bar two which are all off beat are not the tune. Mendelssohn often writes the voice and accompaniment in the right hand but I think very helpful to explain it in detail as so common in his pieces. I personally would do something like 5, 4, 5, 4 for the top notes in bars 2 and 3 sam. I think by playing 5 on all the top notes it is less smooth but this can be done also.

You can hear the first bars by prosseda & schiff which hopefully can give you an example to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZUCgPnfW6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT19VKnrdb0

Perhaps a little detailed but I couldnt help myself with that detailed score. Very nice both versions.

Last edited by Moo :); 11/16/20 09:54 PM.
AndresVel #3046798 11/17/20 03:58 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by AndresVel
30. Purrblast - Prelude in E minor Congratulations on your new baby smile I love this prelude and always enjoy listening to it. I liked your rendition quite much and loved the tone of your Kawai as well. Which presets have you chosen? Maybe some of them I can test on my CA49.
Hi AndresVel, thank you for listening. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I usually practice/record everything with default settings (the one piano sets after turning on). For CA78 it is Pianist Mode: Classic.

I liked your Minuet a lot (your piano sounds similar to mine). I remember learning it not so long ago (though without ornaments).
For recordings I also usually skip repetitions as the longer I play the more chance for mistake for my given take laugh. You stood your ground firmly for repetitions of both sections. Keep it up smile

Last edited by Purrblast; 11/17/20 04:04 AM.
AB Forum Recital #3046810 11/17/20 06:28 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
11. vte - Andante from Sonatina Op 55 No 4 Musically you’ve made great progress in just 9 months, and what a burst in the past few days: feeling your way with a new piano, finding the ABF, and participating for the first time in our online Recital. That’s what I’d call a flying start!

12. Ted Jones - Burst loveletter number nine Your pieces (and titles) are always intriguing, Ted; I enjoy trying to decipher them.

13. Rich D. - Argentinian Dance No. 2 I loved the muted but insistent bass, with the melody weaving around it. Beautifully played.

14. AndresVel (Andres) - Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh. 115) Welcome to the Recitals and congratulations on overcoming the scourge of the Red Button - no-one is immune! Lovely clean notes, well-polished ornaments, all in only 5 months - terrific.

15. Mosotti - Arietta Sweetly played - and the video was an added delight. thumb

My C3 - solace. And joy.
AB Forum Recital #3046833 11/17/20 08:27 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Next set of comments:

34. facdo - Sonata in Eb Major, K.282
Impressive achievement, well done

35. Flygbladet - Nocturne in E minor
I really enjoyed this. I’ve been meaning to learn a Field piece for some time, must get around to it!

36. Piano_primo - Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach#Sacred song "Schaffs mit mir, Gott", BWV 514
Very nice - simple but lovely

37. Greta99 - Valse Lente, Op. 33
I loved this - an unfamiliar but lovely piece and beautifully played. Thanks for sharing

38. JoBert - Erinnerung
I’m not always a huge Schumann fan, but the additional information you provided about this piece made me pay closer attention which (as usual) made me appreciate the piece more. Of course your excellent playing helped too!

39. PikaPianist - Melodie Op.4, No.2
Lovely harmonies in this piece, definitely one that deserves a wider audience so thank you for bringing it to our attention.

40. Snejana - Sarabande
Just lovely! Funny to imagine this style as a source of scandal

41. KevinM - Songs Without Words 30.6 and 19.4
I really enjoyed the first one, and didn’t know it previously. The second is very familiar, though I wouldn’t have known it was Mendelssohn. Both beautifully played, really lovely.

42. sandalholme - Intermezzi Op116 Nos 5 and 6 (to do)
Gorgeous. This reminds me how much I enjoyed learning and playing the Brahms piece I learned a couple of years ago – I must seek out some more!

[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #3046854 11/17/20 10:15 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
03 wouter79 – 2 Heller etudes Now, there you have chosen hard pieces. I tried the first one myself – and hated it. If my memory serves, some PW member once mentioned his piano teacher made him play the “Celestial voices” although he (his piano teacher) was not able to play it properly himself. The piece must be played up-tempo, otherwise the melody falls apart, and that is very, very hard to do. Furthermore, the piece calls for an instrument with a bright, crystal clear tone, otherwise it will not sound “celestial” at all.

11 vte – Andante espressivo from Sonatina 55/4 (Kuhlau) Congratulations! After only 9 months of piano lessons you submitted an amazing rendition. You are really very talented. Keep striving! And thanks for introducing this very beautiful tune I did not know before. Now I am playing it myself. Well, the rest of Kuhlau’s sonatina 55/4 is not worth mentioning, but this Andante has the certain something.

14 Andrés – Minuet by Petzold This is so fantastic after only 5 months of piano lessons. I like your precise Baroque trills and your even playing. This piece cannot be played much better. Your teacher should be proud of you. Baroque music really seems to be your style.

25 Jason Lenthe – Rêverie (Debussy) This is something I know so very well from playing myself. It is difficult to bring out the melody that is sometimes in the right hand and sometimes in the left hand.

35 Flygbladet – Field nocturne E minor (“melancholia”) This is a truly wonderful rendition of this melancholy nocturne by the inventor of the genre. I prefer the first recording. The lower volume suits the piece very well – if you do not think so, you know perhaps that you can increase the gain of your recording very easily with one mouseclick in Audacity.

37 Greta99 – Valse lente (Merikanto) According to your Soundcloud channel you seem to be the “queen of the small gems”, and this piece is definitely a gem. In Finland, all the kids have to play this waltz in their piano lessons, and there is also an orchestral version. This is also a piece I am playing myself.

Just a side note. IMO the sound of many recordings here could easily be improved by adding some reverb with Audacity. I tried it with 3 or 4 of the renditions and was surprised how good “simple” DPs sound with a little more reverb.

AB Forum Recital #3046886 11/17/20 12:02 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My next batch:

22. Calavera - You're Not Alone I am clueless when it comes to this kind of music - I suppose if you have played the games then they carry more emotional content? But well done - sounds great!

23. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Deep River When I first heard of this composer a couple of years ago, I thought the poet had also composed music! But I just had the last name backwards... Excellent!

24. meganr - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 926 I'm glad you got it recorded! Sounds great - lots of spirit!

25. Jason Lenthe - Reverie Sounds great, really, I would be very happy with this. But at times the steady eighth notes seem a little too plodding along - they need more shape - tiny bits of different dynamics to bring them alive... But just my opinion, of course, and only because you said you were less satisfied than usual...

26. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Prelude in C Major (BWV 846) Nice dynamics - the swells up and down really added something. And I loved the little dog...

27. Peter Hontaru - The Little Ballerina I have never heard this - thanks for sharing! An intriguing waltz.

28. JJHLH - Waltz No. 10 in B minor I have played this one! Brings back good memories - I loved the liberties you took with the tempo - feels just right...

29. timmyab - Sonata k25 In my experience Scarlatti sonatas are always faster than I am comfortable playing them! Excellent!

30. Purrblast - Prelude in E minor Sounds great! I like that "Concert Artist" logo on your piano!

31. Moo smile - opus 87 no 7 - A major fugue OK, you are going to think this silly, but I immediately flashed back to playing Bugle Call Rag in the Army Band. Doesn't the fugue subject sound like a bugle call? Excellent performance too!

32. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Alla Turca from Sonata in A major KV 331 Wise choice to cut back on the time - when you have 51 pieces to listen to, a 20 minute sonata is a bit much! Very nicely done - loved the dynamic changes! Needs cymbals! The video threw me at first - ghost pianist!

33. winterflower - considering Improvising, or did you write it out! Intriguing!

34. facdo - Sonata in Eb Major, K.282 Very impressive - memorizing a complete Mozart Sonata. Well done!

35. Flygbladet - Nocturne in E minor Yes, I hear hints of the moonlight coming through. I imagine he knew the sonata. But they were all borrowing ideas from each other. Beethoven did it too. Excellent playing!

36. Piano_primo - Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach#Sacred song "Schaffs mit mir, Gott", BWV 514 Love the quiet, reflective feel of this!

37. Greta99 - Valse Lente, Op. 33 I don't remember ever hearing this one? Now I will have to look up Merikanto. Thanks for playing it - great!

38. JoBert - Erinnerung Yes, Mendelssohn dies to soon, but on the other hand, hist best works were early in his life. Loved this one! I agree, it is not heard often enough.

39. PikaPianist - Melodie Op.4, No.2 Channeling Fanny M.? Well done!

40. Snejana - Sarabande That's different - slow, brooding, ominous. Loved it!

More to come!

Sam

AB Forum Recital #3046890 11/17/20 12:06 PM
I
Ido Offline
I
I appreciate all the comments on my performance, thank you for listening.
I'll be honest - I didn't listen to all the submissions, so please forgive me if I didn't comment on yours...

A point I'd like to raise - some people here upload their video as 'unlisted'. When I browse through their channels, I cannot find many videos because of that. I wish you had listed them as 'public' so that I could find them easily just by searching you, and also see previous uploads you've made... no pressure though smile

01. jazzyprof - Song Without Words, Op.30 no.1
Very good playing, sounds greats

02. QuasiUnaFantasia - Prelude op. 28 no. 6
Great interpretation and dynamics! very delicate performance

05. MarieJ - Gymnopedie No. 1
Great rendition, you paid attention to the little details and I think you've achieved this 'French' sound I'm used to hear when I listen to performances of Satie's pieces. Great job.

06. Peyton - Aria from The Goldberg Variations
As I've written on you're YouTube page - this is amazing.

08. Barbaram - Milonga del Angel
I didn't bond with the piece but the playing is very very good.

10. Tim Adrianson - Morning on the Milkweed
Amazing performance. I've listened to it many times and it's really special.

14. AndresVel (Andres) - Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh. 115)
This is ridiculously good for your short experience, and even regardless of that, this is a good performance period.

16. AlexKi - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples
Again, ridiculously good for your short experience. If you're looking for ways to improve it a bit, I'd say:
1. pay attention to the pedal (lift it all the way up when you release it) because it washed some parts of the piece.
2. play in a more free manner throughout the piece and not just when it's written ritardando'. Let it breath a bit more.
But these are small things and even as it is, it's a great performance.

18. Ganddalf - Siciliano Op.128 no.1
GREAT. I loved it. Awesome playing.
Your piano sound fooled me into thinking it was an acoustic.

20. JB_PW (Jen) - Prelude No. 3 in C Minor
superb playing! Great sense of timing and dynamics.

23. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Deep River
I always have high expectations when I see a submission from you, and you didn't disappoint, to say the least. The listening experience felt like being inside a story.

27. Peter Hontaru - The Little Ballerina
As I've written on you're YouTube page - I really liked it. Your progress is amazing and this recording proves you don't forget the musicality in your quick run through the grades.

28. JJHLH - Waltz No. 10 in B minor
Beautiful. I think adding more dynamic contrast (especially towards the upper range, i.e. louder) could deliver a more convincing message.

31. Moo smile - opus 87 no 7 - A major fugue
Very interesting piece. I actually found it more interesting played in your tempo than in the composer's.

45. Talao - La Pastorale (Op. 100, No. 3)
I didn't listen to your recording but watched your recital, and it was amazing!

46. ShiroKuro - Energy Flow
As I wrote to you some months ago - it is wonderful. It kinda reminded me of a local tune from the 70's:
link

49. Kevin1116 - Piano Sonata in E-Flat Major Op. 27 no. 1 "Quasi una Fantasia" IV. Allegro Vivace
Awesome playing. I like your channel!

50. Qwerty53 - Valsette en bleu
Interesting sounding piece. I was trying to figure out what I'm hearing and came to conclusion it was somewhat bluesy. Then I saw the title smile
Great playing and I like how you made the left hand sing.

51. Sam S - Song Without Words op 19-4
I was left without words:)
Such a great performance. And the dynamics...wow. You do it more justice than anything I've heard before.
I listened to it many time. going to listen again now...

AB Forum Recital #3046933 11/17/20 02:33 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
34. facdo - Sonata in Eb Major, K.282
Nice performance !

35. Flygbladet - Nocturne in E minor
Good playing, I never heard of this composer.

36. Piano_primo - Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach#Sacred song "Schaffs mit mir, Gott", BWV 514
Nicely done and beautiful

37. Greta99 - Valse Lente, Op. 33
Beautifully and sensitively played.

38. JoBert - Erinnerung
Nice recording, well played.

39. PikaPianist - Melodie Op.4, No.2
Very good playing.

40. Snejana - Sarabande
Good interpretation.

41. KevinM - Songs Without Words 30.6 and 19.4
You played with a very nice touch.

42. sandalholme - Intermezzi Op116 Nos 5 and 6
Well done.

43. selfishplayer - (only)Toccata and (no)Fugue in d minor BWV 565 Piano Transcription
Well done, with power.

44. AssociateX (Liz) - Prelude in F# Major WTC 1 (BWV858)
well played.

Beautiful piece, well played!

Beautifully and sensitively played.

47. psyche23 (Edwin) - Arabesque No. 1
You did an excellent job.

48. Stumbler / Dave - Sentimentale
Nice performance !

49. Kevin1116 - Piano Sonata in E-Flat Major Op. 27 no. 1 "Quasi una Fantasia" IV. Allegro Vivace
Good playing,video is impressive.

Well done.

Very good playing, the closed caption was fun.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

AB Forum Recital #3046966 11/17/20 05:00 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
(Just jumping around)

44. Liz- Beautifully played. I really enjoyed it.

5- MarieJ- I just can't ever get enough Satie. And this has to be my all around favorite Gymnopedie. Nicely done.

9- Serge88- Well done!! I can't tell you how many times i've sat down to learn this and given up. I'm jealous.

23. Pianogirl- Very moving. You really played this with such feeling.

26. bsharpcyclist- Wonderful! And that new piano sounds great.

32. Sma55- I haven't listened to this piece in such a long time. You played it perfectly!! Well done.

3. Wouter- Nice choice. Such an underplayed composer and yet he was such a mover and shaker in his time. Well played Wouter. Always fun to hear you just getting better and better.

AB Forum Recital #3046971 11/17/20 05:21 PM
J
J
I've been checking out the recitals since I joined PW over a year ago. It feels good to finally be one of the "cool kids" who's participating. smile Thanks all for the positive comments.

I haven't had time to listen to everyone yet, but here is what I have so far (in no coherent order):

14. AndresVel (Andres) - Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh. 115)
Really nice! Great ornaments, nice solid tempo.

Not familiar with the piece, but I thought it was interesting. Much of it reminded me of old movie music. Sounded like lots of octaves and big chords…I thought it was an impressive performance and really well done.

22. Calavera - You're Not Alone
I really enjoy your musical selections. You’ve even inspired me to download some game music…so much good stuff out there that I was not aware of. This piece has a lot of dynamic variation and I thought you managed that very well. Really nice playing.

16. AlexKi - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples
Great performance!

32. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Alla Turca from Sonata in A major KV 331
Very spirited and nice dynamic changes, really enjoyed it.

I’m a fan of Burgmuller and I think you played this well. And it was great to hear that you did so well at your recital as well.

Lovely piece, and a good story. I bet it was very satisfying to finally be able to play this. Very enjoyable to listen to.

Congrats on the new piano! I love waltzes. I thought this was really charming and well-played.

Excellent…I am a big SWW fan and this one is on my short list. I thought that was a really nice performance and I liked the commentary in the video! I think "D#!" needed multiple exclamation points though...that's how that always goes in my head anyway. smile

08. Barbaram - Milonga del Angel
Piece is new to me. Very nice to listen to and I thought you did a great job.

04. Ido - Little prelude in D major (BWV 925)
Really enjoyed this. Strong hand independence, and it looked graceful. Solid performance.

07. pianist685 (Constantin) - Waltz A minor B.150
I liked the tempo. I thought the ornaments and dynamic changes were really well done.

15. Mosotti - Arietta
Beautiful! Another piece already on my long wish list.

21. Rachtoven - Prelude in C major, BWV 846
A classic! One of few pieces here that I have played. I thought the tempo made it a bit more emotional – very nice.

Wow…fantastic! And you have the entire sonata memorized?! That always astounds me.

40. Snejana - Sarabande
Beautiful piece, and very nice playing.

I love this piece! I’ve never heard it but I’ll be adding it to my list. I thought this was well done and the ornaments were really nice.

03. wouter79 - celestial voices and vesper song, op.45 no9, 10
I am a huge Heller fan so I was happy to see your choices. I’m not ready to tackle Celestial Voices but I’ve played through Vesper Song a few times and I really enjoy it. Solid work.

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
AB Forum Recital #3047023 11/17/20 08:34 PM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
16. AlexKi - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples I love this piece, and you handled it with a delicate and assured touch - very nicely done.

17. dumka1 - Mazurka op. 6 no. 2 I’m glad you managed to submit this despite a rather lengthy delay - well played!

18. Ganddalf - Siciliano Op.128 no.1 The internet - what an amazing resource, and what a lucky find. I’d never heard of York Bowen, but I enjoyed your performance and will check out some of his other compositions.

19. rwsavory - Aria Simple? For me, the so-called ’simple’ pieces are inevitably the most difficult to play well. You handled this Aria beautifully.

20. JB_PW (Jen) - Prelude No. 3 in C Minor Congratulations on your first Recital submission. I really liked your choice, your dynamics, and your sensitive performance.

My C3 - solace. And joy.
MarieJ #3047027 11/17/20 08:59 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MarieJ
12. Ted Jones - Burst loveletter number nine Your pieces (and titles) are always intriguing, Ted; I enjoy trying to decipher them.

It means whatever the listener wants it to mean Marie, which is all music ever means anyway. Thanks for listening.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
AB Forum Recital #3047077 11/18/20 01:35 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
21. Rachtoven - Prelude in C major, BWV 846 Yet another ‘first-timer’ to welcome to the Recitals. A rich sound from your Kawai, and I was impressed by the way you handled the dynamics of this much-loved prelude.

22. Calavera - You're Not Alone I know nothing of Final Fantasy but I’ve really enjoyed your performances of Uematsu’s music this year. ‘You’re Not Alone’ did not disappoint. More, please!

23. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Deep River Simply a superb performance, Ellen!

24. meganr - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 926 I’m glad you could make it this time, Megan. That prelude really sparkled, well done!

25. Jason Lenthe - Reverie One of my all-time favourites, and you certainly did it justice - bravo! thumb (When it comes to working on a piece that we really love, we are our own worst critics - are we ever truly satisfied?)

My C3 - solace. And joy.
AB Forum Recital #3047099 11/18/20 06:01 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My goal this morning was to finish listening!

41. KevinM - Songs Without Words 30.6 and 19.4 You know I love Mendelssohn too - I have played about 8 of them I think, including both of these. Well done! But why are you trilling with 3-4? Use 2-3 (or find the two fingers that are best for you, and adjust fingering so you can use those).

42. sandalholme - Intermezzi Op116 Nos 5 and 6 I don't hear these that often, but they are still very striking - funny how some pieces just don't "make" it. Impressive technique! Loved them...

43. selfishplayer - (only)Toccata and (no)Fugue in d minor BWV 565 Piano Transcription Ack! Busoni!. Octaves everywhere and super difficult. Kudos for even trying it! One of these days you will get it...

44. AssociateX (Liz) - Prelude in F# Major WTC 1 (BWV858) Does the stuffed kitty love Bach too? Excellent! What a key!

45. Talao - La Pastorale (Op. 100, No. 3) Welcome to the recitals! Ah, Burgmuller. Generations of piano students have played these, myself included. They teach the basics well - excellent playing!

46. ShiroKuro - Energy Flow Such nice playing! I love the different articulations in this (something you don't get in Einaudi, for instance). It adds just a little bit of variety. And the different treatment of the themes.

47. psyche23 (Edwin) - Arabesque No. 1 One of my favorite pieces to listen to, but I have never been ambitious enough, or brave enough to tackle it. It flows so well - excellent playing!

48. Stumbler / Dave - Sentimentale This is excellent Dave! You left me wanting more!

49. Kevin1116 - Piano Sonata in E-Flat Major Op. 27 no. 1 "Quasi una Fantasia" IV. Allegro Vivace Wonderful! You seem very much in control - and that is quite a feat to memorize the entire sonata.

50. Qwerty53 - Valsette en bleu Loved it! Agay was remarkably talented and a tireless worker - I played one of his compositions in a recital a few years ago.

That's all folks! Another great recital - #60 - for the record books.

Sam

AB Forum Recital #3047108 11/18/20 06:35 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
26. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Prelude in C Major (BWV 846) Loved the prelude, and the way you played it on your new C3X - brilliant. I’ve visited this piece from time to time (who hasn’t) and you’ve inspired me to take it a little more seriously. smile

27. Peter Hontaru - The Little Ballerina I’m not surprised that you gained a ‘distinction’ for this performance, it was well-deserved. I’d never heard this charming piece before. Thank you - and congratulations!

28. JJHLH - Waltz No. 10 in B minor This was beautiful; quite an achievement to be presenting such a piece after only 20 months.

29. timmyab - Sonata k25 That certainly didn’t seem ‘on the slow side’ to me, it just danced along. Terrific!

30. Purrblast - Prelude in E minor I’m so glad you managed to fit a recital submission into your incredibly hectic but exciting life. This is an all-time favourite of mine - and I very much enjoyed your performance.

My C3 - solace. And joy.
Sam S #3047115 11/18/20 07:46 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Sam S
41. KevinM - Songs Without Words 30.6 and 19.4 You know I love Mendelssohn too - I have played about 8 of them I think, including both of these. Well done! But why are you trilling with 3-4? Use 2-3 (or find the two fingers that are best for you, and adjust fingering so you can use those).

If it was only so easy, probably 90% of my practise has been done with 2-3 and it still rougher and slower than using 3-4. I find both the stretch for the right hand to reach and the sharp make performing the trill hard. If I lean over to the right so my right arm is positioned nicely to play the trill without playing the left hand it isn't too bad. But the leaning over produces two other problems.

My lower back quickly gets painful leaning over so my practise time on the trill becomes limited. But I think I could get around that if I could sort out the left hand. When I am leaning over to be better lined up for the right hand, my left hand starts making mistakes, and because I can't hold that position for long I can't practise to fix the left hand.

I tried looking for other finger combinations as well, but i couldn't make any work. For me 3-4 is the least worse choice.

Last edited by KevinM; 11/18/20 07:47 AM.
Pianist685 #3047126 11/18/20 08:42 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Purrblast
Hi AndresVel, thank you for listening. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I usually practice/record everything with default settings (the one piano sets after turning on). For CA78 it is Pianist Mode: Classic.

I liked your Minuet a lot (your piano sounds similar to mine). I remember learning it not so long ago (though without ornaments).
For recordings I also usually skip repetitions as the longer I play the more chance for mistake for my given take laugh. You stood your ground firmly for repetitions of both sections. Keep it up smile

Well then the sound of your CA78 is better than that of my CA49. You cant tell the extra $1000 there lol :P ... Thanks so much for your comment. I did not want to skip the repeats, but I had to redo the recording quite a number of times. A mix of them and the red recording light made me mess up more than usual.

Originally Posted by Pianist685
[
14 Andrés – Minuet by Petzold This is so fantastic after only 5 months of piano lessons. I like your precise Baroque trills and your even playing. This piece cannot be played much better. Your teacher should be proud of you. Baroque music really seems to be your style.

thank you very much for your kind comments :)) ... I actually love baroque music. I discovered it when I started learning piano as well (I did not know much about classical music before, only the mainstream pieces). Scarlatti has become one of my favorite composers. But I really enjoy works by others from this time (Rameau, Couperin, Galluppi, Cimarosa) and Bach obviously. Looking forward to play their pieces.

Thanks also JP_PW, Ido, and MarieJ for your kind words smile

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Playing on a Kawai CA49, previously on: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
AB Forum Recital #3047133 11/18/20 09:17 AM
S
S
Continuing with my hopping, skipping, and jumping...

Your choices for our recitals are always pieces that are off the beaten path, and you don’t disappoint with your current one. Your treatment of “Deep River” is sensitive. The musical choices you make in it are good ones, related to dynamics and judicious execution of ritardandos. You use these to advantage in highlighting the emotionality of the piece. Really good job!

26. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Prelude in C Major (BWV 846)
Nice job, Dan. And congratulations on your new piano. Hope you’re enjoying it. By the way, I love your doggie. So calm and content. Is he/she a Maltese? Reminds me of my 17 year old Maltese, whom I very sadly had to put down last year.

Very nice job, Peter. With this piece, your blossoming musicality is evident. l look forward to future ABF recital submissions of yours.

29. timmyab - Sonata k25
Your performance was just lovely! As far as I’m concerned, your current tempo works just fine. Well done!

30. Purrblast - Prelude in E minor
I was surprised that I wound up liking your performance of this piece. Why? Because you’ve been playing for only 2.5 years. And while this piece looks easy on the surface, I think it’s actually deceptively difficult. In between the sparse notes in the piece are many decisions left up to the pianist to make. And so making this piece sound convincing is not so easy. While I feel you could still stand to polish it up further with some broader dynamics and by introducing a bit of rubato in some key places, I think you do turn in a solid performance. Congratulations! Also congratulations on your partner’s new baby girl! (I’m going to assume it’s yours, haha.)

KevinM #3047135 11/18/20 09:20 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
Originally Posted by Sam S

If it was only so easy, probably 90% of my practise has been done with 2-3 and it still rougher and slower than using 3-4. I find both the stretch for the right hand to reach and the sharp make performing the trill hard. If I lean over to the right so my right arm is positioned nicely to play the trill without playing the left hand it isn't too bad. But the leaning over produces two other problems.

My lower back quickly gets painful leaning over so my practise time on the trill becomes limited. But I think I could get around that if I could sort out the left hand. When I am leaning over to be better lined up for the right hand, my left hand starts making mistakes, and because I can't hold that position for long I can't practise to fix the left hand.

I tried looking for other finger combinations as well, but i couldn't make any work. For me 3-4 is the least worse choice.

We're all different - you have to go with what works for you. But using the weakest, least independent finger?

If you were taking lessons from my former University teacher, she would make you spend a month doing the 1-2-3-4 exercise with every combination of fingers, looking for the best combo.

1-2-3-4 exercise: Set the metronome to a reasonable speed. Pick your two fingers and your two notes. 1- play one note per beat for 8 beats. 2- play 2 notes per beat... 3- play 3 notes per beat... 4-play 4 notes per beat. When that is even and smooth, increase metronome speed. Test at the next lesson...

She did that exercise with lots of things, not just trills. Try scales. I got sick of it...

Sam

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2020 Petrof P-125
by Drew92 - 01/17/21 11:57 AM
Moving the Steinway Across the Country
by Greg Midi - 01/17/21 10:35 AM
First DP in 30 years
by Moggul - 01/17/21 10:24 AM
I just discovered music of Violet Archer
by iamandrew3 - 01/17/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,324
Posts3,047,799
Members100,095
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission