2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 81 of 108 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 107 108
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Hammertime
This is it folks, I've arrived at Arabia (3B-14) .... I'm going in, wish me luck - see you on the other side 🤪

Good luck with that. wink I can promise you that this will give you the greatest satisfaction when the 100% appears on your screen, no other song gave me such a winners feeling.

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
T
T
Originally Posted by Sarah65
This is it folks, I've arrived at Arabia (3B-14) .... I'm going in, wish me luck - see you on the other side 🤪

Good luck with that. wink I can promise you that this will give you the greatest satisfaction when the 100% appears on your screen, no other song gave me such a winners feeling.

I got 100% on one today that came very close.

5 Little Speckled Frogs.

I had to do it, being a frog an' all. smile

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
D
D
Originally Posted by trooplewis
Originally Posted by dantheman1983
The splitter works perfectly for me so hopefully it does for you too
On my Windows laptop I just connect the headphones to the laptop only. Midi cable from laptop to piano. Turn volume on piano all the way down, and you get both sounds via the laptop with no need for a splitter. Yours does not work that way?

I purchased the splitter when I was using Simply Piano with my iphone then ipad as the audio from the keyboard and ipad would come out seperately.
Piano Marvel is using bluetooth rather than a midi cable, I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I haven't bothered to disconnect the splitter to see.
BTW - can you tell me how long it took you to get to level with how much practice? Many thanks!

I just started with PM about 2 months ago, but I had about 10 years of lessons starting at age 7. At age 16, I stopped lessons and pretty much stopped playing until the Covid era arrived at age 67. Now I want to regain my lost skills as well as add some more. I'm still good with most right hand basics, as well as major and minor chords with left hand. My timing needs help, and I am working on Hanon to regain my left hand co-ordination and finger strength; it has helped a lot.

But it's not getting me through Canon in C!

I see, so you have some previous skills, albeit a while ago!

I'm trying to learn the keys alongside my guitar so time is a bit limited, some weeks I can do an hour of each a day
sometimes only 30 minutes on each.
I'm glad I now have a more realistic DP and a more formal training plan now after my simply piano experience but it's going to be a slow slog.
I think some of the 'skills' I developed on that app with a lighter keyboard are mostly redundant now.

I used feel I started too late trying to become a decent music player in my 30's but when you hear
of lots of retired people picking up instruments and enjoying playing in later life in makes me realise I have many years to develop!

Piano Marvel/Alfred book fan.
Rookie Piano player, very average guitar enthusiast.
Roland FP10, Ibanez SA360NQM

Thanks Sarah, I'll keep you posted :-)

Yamaha CLP-775

There’s nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself. Johann Sebastian Bach
You know that feeling when you've been away from the keyboard for over a week, are then reluctant to do a Sight Reading Test, then eventually pluck up enough courage to just do it and then get a rubbish score.....that 😣

Yamaha CLP-775

There’s nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself. Johann Sebastian Bach
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You know that feeling when you've been away from the keyboard for over a week, are then reluctant to do a Sight Reading Test, then eventually pluck up enough courage to just do it and then get a rubbish score.....that 😣

The Sight Reading scores on PM are something that sort of baffle me. When I move from Intermediate to Advanced, my score inevitably goes way down and I have to start at 200 again to get it back up to the 600 range. Seems like they are lacking the middle ground between "Advanced Intermediate" and "Beginning Advanced".

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
[quote=Hammertime]
The Sight Reading scores on PM are something that sort of baffle me. When I move from Intermediate to Advanced, my score inevitably goes way down and I have to start at 200 again to get it back up to the 600 range. Seems like they are lacking the middle ground between "Advanced Intermediate" and "Beginning Advanced".

I think there is also such a gray zone between beginner and intermediate. I am now in level 4 D and in the SASR test I sometimes have a lot of trouble with those fast Disney songs that are below my level, and sometimes I play a level 5 song for the first time above 80%. I don't belong anywhere ...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by emilyet
Hi I’ve recently purchased a new dp, Roland fp10. Upon connecting with my laptop there’s sound output from both my laptop and piano. How can I make it so that the sound just come out from the piano only? Previously Ive used a 61 keys Yamaha keyboard and I can adjust at my laptop sound settings so that sound output just from the laptop. But I cannot do the same for this new piano. Any solutions? Is there a Roland driver out there that I need to download?

Hi Emily, I too have just purchased a Roland FP10 and started using Piano Marvel (after also using a smaller Yamaha with Simply Piano).
I have it setup with a midi cable to my ipad however it just seens to want to use the bluetooth instead, I'm not sure if this is more or less accurate than BT.
I used a belkin earphone splitter with simply piano and now the same with Piano Marvel so the audio runs from both source comes out of my my earphones.
Without it I had to have two pairs of earphones ...
I'm not sure if the sounds works differently when you have a laptop or ipad or whether it's using the midi cable or bluetooth
but like it was mentioned the Instrument settings may fix it.

When I started with Piano Marvel the ipad App didn't exist, so I used a laptop. But as soon as the Ipad app came out I switched over to it and use that. I don't use bluetooth - not sure about midi signals, but audio has a noticeable latency which of course doesn't work. I bought myself a small usb c hub, and hub feed into the usb feed on the iPad, the hub itself takes a usb c power supply that powers the ipAd, but also has 3 usb A ports.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GPC9HMF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (although it is no longer available - I did recently buy this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083DZ1X27/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which does also work)

One of these takes the USB (B) midi output from my piano so I can feed the midi into the ipad. I have a small usb A to 3.5mm audio adapter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016CU2PEU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so that plugs into the second port and takes the sound from the ipad into the line in port on my piano. I listen to my piano on headphones, and the line in is mixed with the piano sound so I get both through my headphones. In the last usb A port I plug a usb powered desk lamp.

Im not sure about the FP10 (mines a Kawai CA67 Piano) and whether you have a line in to mix audio in that way. If not I would look on Amazon for a small audio mixer like this (not tried)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Channel-Passive-Console-Recording/dp/B07Y33N9WB/

[Linked Image]

D
D
Originally Posted by akc42
Originally Posted by emilyet
Hi I’ve recently purchased a new dp, Roland fp10. Upon connecting with my laptop there’s sound output from both my laptop and piano. How can I make it so that the sound just come out from the piano only? Previously Ive used a 61 keys Yamaha keyboard and I can adjust at my laptop sound settings so that sound output just from the laptop. But I cannot do the same for this new piano. Any solutions? Is there a Roland driver out there that I need to download?

Hi Emily, I too have just purchased a Roland FP10 and started using Piano Marvel (after also using a smaller Yamaha with Simply Piano).
I have it setup with a midi cable to my ipad however it just seens to want to use the bluetooth instead, I'm not sure if this is more or less accurate than BT.
I used a belkin earphone splitter with simply piano and now the same with Piano Marvel so the audio runs from both source comes out of my my earphones.
Without it I had to have two pairs of earphones ...
I'm not sure if the sounds works differently when you have a laptop or ipad or whether it's using the midi cable or bluetooth
but like it was mentioned the Instrument settings may fix it.

When I started with Piano Marvel the ipad App didn't exist, so I used a laptop. But as soon as the Ipad app came out I switched over to it and use that. I don't use bluetooth - not sure about midi signals, but audio has a noticeable latency which of course doesn't work. I bought myself a small usb c hub, and hub feed into the usb feed on the iPad, the hub itself takes a usb c power supply that powers the ipAd, but also has 3 usb A ports.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GPC9HMF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (although it is no longer available - I did recently buy this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083DZ1X27/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which does also work)

One of these takes the USB (B) midi output from my piano so I can feed the midi into the ipad. I have a small usb A to 3.5mm audio adapter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016CU2PEU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so that plugs into the second port and takes the sound from the ipad into the line in port on my piano. I listen to my piano on headphones, and the line in is mixed with the piano sound so I get both through my headphones. In the last usb A port I plug a usb powered desk lamp.

Im not sure about the FP10 (mines a Kawai CA67 Piano) and whether you have a line in to mix audio in that way. If not I would look on Amazon for a small audio mixer like this (not tried)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Channel-Passive-Console-Recording/dp/B07Y33N9WB/

I think my is working or less ok with the apple camera adapter and the belkin splitter.
Sometimes the last note on an assessment in PM doesn’t ring out properly
but it’s not biggy, don’t think I need to get any kind of audio mixer hub right now.

Unrelated I’m gonna ask for alfred book 2 for xmas though I think I shall be on book 1 for a good few months yet! I’m glad you can assess your performance on the book via the app, stops me getting ahead of myself!

Arabia seems like a distant memory now that I’ve reached and working on Irish Jig (3C - 15)

Yamaha CLP-775

After reading a good chunk of this thread too, I’ve given myself a telling off for letting my technique progress lag behind my method. 2B on Technique versus 3C on method so will now be focussing on getting that rectified and running them in parallel. 😳

Yamaha CLP-775

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
After reading a good chunk of this thread too, I’ve given myself a telling off for letting my technique progress lag behind my method. 2B on Technique versus 3C on method so will now be focussing on getting that rectified and running them in parallel. 😳

I hope you can keep it parallel. I couldn't, given up in half of level 4.There's so much more interesting things to do than boring technique. It is a matter of making choices in the available time and above all enjoying. :p

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Let me know how you feel when you get to 5C. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to go back and do the technique exercises to be able to pass the tests from 10-20 in 5C

Last edited by trooplewis; 11/08/20 11:55 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
D
D
Does anyone else think the ear training exercises on Piano Marvel aren’t so good?
I can have a hard time hearing the melody part I’m supposed to judging with
the somewhat low quality accompaniment playing too.
It’s seems you can kind cheat as well

D
D
Another thing, I think I know the answer though...
I was messing around with muse score to see how to import songs into Piano Marvel, so just taking a XML and midi file from the free ones available for now.
Does PM have the ability to display any other instruments? i.e display a vocal treble clef so you could follow and sing the lyrics to their right pitch?
(while PM is tracking your keys performance) I doubt it was just wondering though. I know other software like guitar pro does that but it wouldn't assessing my piano strokes.
Thanks

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
I was messing around with muse score to see how to import songs into Piano Marvel, so just taking a XML and midi file from the free ones available for now.
Does PM have the ability to display any other instruments? i.e display a vocal treble clef so you could follow and sing the lyrics to their right pitch?
(while PM is tracking your keys performance) I doubt it was just wondering though. I know other software like guitar pro does that but it wouldn't assessing my piano strokes.
Thanks

No Piano Marvel does not. What you see on your screen is the musicxml file and what you hear is the midi accompaniment. And that musicxml file can only be grand staff, it can't even start with a rest or PM don't accept it.

M
M
Does anyone else think the ear training exercises on Piano Marvel aren’t so good?

There are three volume sliders for: metronome, piano, and accompaniment. If you don't want to hear the accompaniment, turn it off.

One could cheat the number of days played on days you don't play by just logging in on a laptop and pressing assess on a piece so it plays through and registers as played.
One could cheat by putting Piano Marvel in Book Mode on a piece you have struggled with and marking it as completed.
One could "cheat" with ear training. As with all these things, if you classify something as cheating, don't do it. smile

With ear training there are different ways to do it but for me I listen to it through a couple of times without playing a note so the correct notes don't get shown to me. I then try and work it out myself without PM just based on how I remembered the sound and what sounds right when played. A lot of the ear training pieces are recognisable tunes like "here comes the bride", "happy birthday", Star Wars", which helps. When I think I know the correct notes and have the rhythm right I then play it for the first time in assess mode and only at that point do I then afterwards see the notes I have played incorrectly.

Kawai Novus NV10S
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by matthew28
[quote=dantheman1983]
One could cheat by putting Piano Marvel in Book Mode on a piece you have struggled with and marking it as completed.

With ear training there are different ways to do it but for me I listen to it through a couple of times without playing a note so the correct notes don't get shown to me. I then try and work it out myself without PM just based on how I remembered the sound and what sounds right when played. A lot of the ear training pieces are recognisable tunes like "here comes the bride", "happy birthday", Star Wars", which helps. When I think I know the correct notes and have the rhythm right I then play it for the first time in assess mode and only at that point do I then afterwards see the notes I have played incorrectly.

Do you want to explain that cheating in book mode? I tried on something where I can't get the fast version done. Nothing happened frown

Good way to do ear training, I do it something like this, and after a while you notice that it is getting better.

D
D
Originally Posted by matthew28

There are three volume sliders for: metronome, piano, and accompaniment. If you don't want to hear the accompaniment, turn it off.

One could cheat the number of days played on days you don't play by just logging in on a laptop and pressing assess on a piece so it plays through and registers as played.
One could "cheat" with ear training. As with all these things, if you classify something as cheating, don't do it. smile

OK that makes sense and thanks for the info about the volume levels, didn’t think of that. I don’t want to cheat but I think was accidentally doing it at times!

D
D
Thanks

No Piano Marvel does not. What you see on your screen is the musicxml file and what you hear is the midi accompaniment. And that musicxml file can only be grand staff, it can't even start with a rest or PM don't accept it.

Thanks for clarifying. It also seems the ipad version of PM doesn’t like these imported
xml files, apparently they usually run on the desktop version.
Oh well, I’d probably just be wasting time trying stuff I’m not ready for yet anyway!

Page 81 of 108 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission