2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (Bett, ChadUK, AWilley, ambrozy, Beowulf, 36251, anotherscott, c++, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 558 guests, and 558 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Floor piano lamp.
ShiroKuro #3045424 11/13/20 06:03 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
What's your definition of "very economical"?

Asking for a friend. wink

As a definition maybe less than 1% of your piano's cost?

But you can generally get these lamps for somewhere between 20 and 40$ depending on what you pick. FWIW I have a 'Trond' brand model on top of my piano which has been very reliable and nice to use - but there are many other brands on Amazon which seem very similar.

Last edited by gwing; 11/13/20 06:11 AM.
juliep #3045573 11/13/20 03:16 PM
G
G
One of my students bought a curved LED lamp that extends over the keyboard area and has been happy. At least one other student purchased the same lamp after seeing the lamp at one of my student performance days.

It looks like it's around $90 on Amazon. I don't own it but have seen it in the two student houses and it does a good job of providing overhead lighting. I even bought one for my parents to increase the ambient light for desk work.

Brighttech LED lamp on Amazon

Pianist, composer, arranger
http://www.goodloe.org

Baldwin L, YamahaGranTouch DGT2IIXG + PianoTeq, Nord Electro 2, Casio Privia PX-5s
past: Yamaha C7, Kawai NS-20, MP8, Yamaha P-80, P-90, Casio CDP-100, Roland FP-4, Kurzweil MIDIBoard, Rhodes MKII suitcase 73....
juliep #3045671 11/13/20 07:06 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Goodloe, I actually considered that lamp, I thought it looked like a nice option. For anyone interested, if you go to that Brighttech Amazon link, click on ratings and then "see all customer images," there are a fair amount of photos of people using the lamp for their pianos, so that should help you decide.

I ended up deciding not to order it because I didn't think I'd like having that bright light there in my eyes if I glanced up (I get migraines and I'm probably more sensitive than most). Also, I like to have piano parties and I figured the light would be in people's eyes. But if your piano room is more for personal use only, it shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by gwing
As a definition maybe less than 1% of your piano's cost?

Ah, ok, I would call that economical as well. Although the lamp I ended up buying was more like 0.7% grin

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3045740 11/14/20 01:07 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Goodloe, I actually considered that lamp, I thought it looked like a nice option. For anyone interested, if you go to that Brighttech Amazon link, click on ratings and then "see all customer images," there are a fair amount of photos of people using the lamp for their pianos, so that should help you decide.
[...]

The Amazon listing does indicate:

"Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

So, I clicked on the Amazon link to "Visit the Brightech Store" for more details on this particular lamp, but Brightech just sent me back to Amazon.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
juliep #3046243 11/15/20 02:38 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just received and assembled the Cocoweb floor lamp (Amazon price was too good to pass the deal).
2 stars, and asked for replacement already.
As many complain in their reviews, the arm joint screw, no matter how hard I tighten it, fails to prevent the arm from folding down. This would be so easy fix for Cocoweb by making the surfaces rough, or better toothed!
19" shade is not long enough for 4 sheets of music, I would need to place it high which means the arm become short.
The arm and shade can form only straight line, there is no way to adjust the shade to the right or to the left, which means there is no flexibility on the lamp placement - only exactly aside of keys.

I tried their grand lamp few months ago, and it also suffered from obvious design flaws - it was not tall enough, and had very badly designed clamp.
I can't understand why there is still no good piano lamp around, and the best option is still a general purpose desk lamp.
I am considering building my own design using under cabinet LED strips.

Last edited by VladK; 11/15/20 02:41 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
juliep #3046551 11/16/20 10:28 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by juliep
Hi there !
I’m looking for a standing floor lamp for my Yamaha b3e upright .
The house is quite modern so looking for something modern to fit in .
It’s a bit of a minefield out there , some lamps have reviews that the light doesn’t reach sufficiently to the music or that lamps aren’t tall enough.
I’ve had very good piano advice from here before, so reaching out to this site again for recommendations from pianists .

Happy piano playing everyone !!
it’s saved my sanity in lockdown !

Many thanks,
Julie Mckenzie
Julie,
I curious why you and others here decide on a floor lamp instead of a piano lamp that sits on the top and illuminates from there? They also can be dimmable LED CR95 types and have the advantage that they are less likely to be knocked over and damage your precious instrument.
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Beemer #3046584 11/16/20 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Beemer
I curious why you and others here decide on a floor lamp instead of a piano lamp that sits on the top and illuminates from there? They also can be dimmable LED CR95 types and have the advantage that they are less likely to be knocked over and damage your precious instrument.Ian
For me, it's purely aesthetic. I don't like how those lights that attach to the top of the music desk of a grand look even though they would be far less expensive and probably do a better job of illuminating the music. For an upright, I think the lamps that sit on the top of the case look fine.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/16/20 11:25 AM.
pianoloverus #3046590 11/16/20 11:29 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Beemer
I curious why you and others here decide on a floor lamp instead of a piano lamp that sits on the top and illuminates from there? They also can be dimmable LED CR95 types and have the advantage that they are less likely to be knocked over and damage your precious instrument.Ian
For
me, it's purely aesthetic. I don't like how those lights that attach to the top of the music desk of a grand look even though they would be far less expensive and probably do a better job of illuminating the music. For an upright, I think the lamps that sit on the top of the case look fine.

Nor do I like those so-called piano lamps that sit on the side of the music desk on a grand. They always seem to be in the way, they give side lighting instead of top lighting and they take up much-needed space. But it's often a compromise; one have to find what works even if the solution is not ideal.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
juliep #3046670 11/16/20 03:32 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am one of the very, very few who actually closes her piano completely when not playing it. And I do mean completely, so a lamp would have to be moved on and off all the time. Less than ideal.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
juliep #3047010 11/17/20 07:23 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I had a Koncept and it never worked properly. Their customer service blamed me and my house and any number of other things that they were not interested in supporting.

I did like the look of it, just not the light that came out of it.

Learner
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Max Richter: Tiny Desk (Home)
by SeaDrive - 01/23/21 08:24 PM
Advice on buying my first piano
by moodorf - 01/23/21 07:59 PM
Yamaha Model Differences
by RPHPlayer - 01/23/21 07:24 PM
Cannot decide on a beginner keyboard
by sunnyrose98 - 01/23/21 07:10 PM
Bach Busoni Goldberg Variations
by Keith D Kerman - 01/23/21 04:15 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,492
Posts3,050,643
Members100,187
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission