2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
S
Originally Posted by navindra
Yes. I'm using a stock MacBook Pro from 2018, no added drivers or hardware. I found that if I'm installing Pianoteq fresh, the lag is not acceptable to me. In the Pianoteq options I change "Audio buffer size" to "64 samples (1.3 ms)" since it defaults to "512 samples (10.7 ms)".

Once I make that change, it sticks even across updates, and there is no discernible lag. Meaning that Pianoteq sounds at exactly the same time that the native engine does, with no echo, on the Novus.

I also change "Maximum polyphony" to 256 in Perf in Pianoteq, but I don't think that moves the bar on anything at my level.

Thanks for the feedback! Now that I know it's possible, I'll have to keep trying. smile Apple's core audio driver is apparently better for this than the standard Windows drivers.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
How did it work out changing the power cable to the other side?

Still I feel so spoiled now with my p-515 and audio over usb that Iā€™m not sure I can go back to using a audio cable. šŸ˜

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
I just tried it to satisfy your curiosity and the ground loop is completely gone. laugh Even when I switch the power back to the other port, it doesn't repro anymore. Strange stuff.

I can also use Bluetooth MIDI as Tony mentioned. Latency impact there tends to be minimal.

Someone mentioned less than 10 ms latency with the USB Audio. I suspect that will be good enough, but I'd have to try it to be sure. Already with Pianoteq, the default 10.7 ms is too much for me, but at 1.3 ms it's perfect.

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
In the words of Carl Sagan, if you wish to create a piano sound from scratch, you must first invent the universe. A tall order indeed.

This is my brief hands-on of Pianoteq 7.

While I had never spent much time with the Steinways, the spotlight is now on the new NY Steinway D and it certainly doesn't disappoint! Indeed, it is a lot of fun with ample musical potential. I am particularly excited by the Classical Recording preset and I think I might actually produce something with this.

The layering/morphing stuff screams for a strings and pads pack -- I hope Modartt release one soon.

Overall, there are many subtle improvements to all the instruments I tried, all for the better, and with this, Pianoteq 7 takes another step towards realism with stunning playability.

I'm so happy with the versatility and musicality of Pianoteq + native Novus options, that there just isn't a reason to bother with anything else now.

To top it all off, and what really got me excited -- I got the new $70 Raspberry Pi 400 in keyboard form factor + PreSonus Studio 24c and I installed Pianoteq 7 on it.

A touch on my iPad and I now instantly have a full-screen touch-responsive interface of Pianoteq 7 ready to go!

[Linked Image]

On my Novus, it's also a single touch to toggle between native sound and Pianoteq.

[Linked Image]

My Pianoteq setup is now 100% turnkey.

All the settings are essentially maxed out -- minimum latency, maximum polyphony, excellent internal sample rate, etc, and the Pi doesn't even break a sweat at max Pianoteq playability. I didn't even bother to overclock it.

Evidently, the PreSonus is also doing its share of the heavy lifting. I will velcro the PreSonus under the Novus -- it'll fit right in with all the other controls and I/O. A single wire goes from the PreSonus to the Pi (+ power), so that will be trivial to conceal.

Since it's a Pi, I could leave it on permanently, but even if I don't, 40 seconds from the moment I press the on-switch, Pianoteq is completely functional and stays that way. The Pi is silent, invisible, headless, but I can instantly access the Pianoteq GUI when I want and I can even control Pianoteq via MIDI.

It's a sweet setup and beats my MBP in every way.

I started out a skeptic, but Pianoteq is truly a stunning achievement by Modartt. This level of technical achievement doesn't happen by accident -- pianophil and friends at Modartt are wizards, plain and simple.

Bravo!

Pretty impressive set up! Kudos!

Nord Grand, Yamaha YDP-184, Nord Wave 2,
StudioLogic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX,
EWPianos QL, Noire/AK/Gentleman/Grandeur/Maverick,
Piano V2, Serum, TE OP-1.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I can't play like David Lai and I can't present like David B
I'm sorry that I'm one of the Davids that somehow intimidated you? If so, I am very sorry!!! But I loved what you did, and the blues flavor of your selection.
It's really cool that you gave this U4 emulation that special detuned feel!
And wow, I may need to seriously plan creating some YouTube videos myself now that I've become somehow known by you smile
Anyway, have a nice weekend!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boboulus
How did it work out changing the power cable to the other side?

Still I feel so spoiled now with my p-515 and audio over usb that Iā€™m not sure I can go back to using a audio cable. šŸ˜

I never got my head around that single usb cable stuff.; didn't work for my 515. I kneed more knowledge in the head, ha ha! Get arrested for that. I still use UM-1 midi adapter and two MIDI connectors into usb..

Last edited by peterws; 11/15/20 06:33 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I have to ask.

Does a $300 software package really make a $13,000 piano sound better? I can't quite get my head around this.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
"Better" is that troublesome word that requires a valuer and a particular context.

Nord Grand, Yamaha YDP-184, Nord Wave 2,
StudioLogic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX,
EWPianos QL, Noire/AK/Gentleman/Grandeur/Maverick,
Piano V2, Serum, TE OP-1.
The sound of any digital piano can be greatly improved by a good VST.
But you need not spend $300. Half that is all you need
Originally Posted by trooplewis
Does a $300 software package really make a $13,000 piano sound better? I can't quite get my head around this.

R
R
@navindra
That's pretty cool!

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The sound of any digital piano can be greatly improved by a good VST.
But you need not spend $300. Half that is all you need
Originally Posted by trooplewis

@trooplewis There's no question that the $13,000 piano is competently done. You can see my amateurish recordings with the SK-EX engine my .sig.

The questions I ask myself before going in with something like Pianoteq is:

1) Does it do anything to improve my musicality?
2) Does it contribute to my enjoyment of playing?
3) Would I make a recording with this?

The answers are yes, yes, and yes in the case of Pianoteq.

Is P > N? That is highly debatable, but if you look at the top of the thread, I made a recording with the U4 which is an upright sound and completely different from the SK-EX grand.

I also plan to make a recording where I use both P and N, and hopefully things will become more clear regarding the musical versatility afforded.

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by MusicalDudeist
Pretty impressive set up! Kudos!
Originally Posted by robinlb
@navindra
That's pretty cool!

Thanks! I really have no love for having a bulky laptop/desktop computer connected to my piano. The energy required to hook up the laptop, sign in, run software, etc, is draining and takes away from my enjoyment of playing the piano.

Pianoteq 7 on Raspberry Pi 400 (+ PreSonus), however, has blown away all my expectations. It's basically Pianoteq in a box... highly performant and effectively invisible. Permanently connected and always ready.

I just velcro'ed my PreSonus below my piano and it's a really clean and sweet setup -- no visible wires and no added speakers!

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by David Lai
I'm sorry that I'm one of the Davids that somehow intimidated you? If so, I am very sorry!!! But I loved what you did, and the blues flavor of your selection.
It's really cool that you gave this U4 emulation that special detuned feel!
And wow, I may need to seriously plan creating some YouTube videos myself now that I've become somehow known by you smile
Anyway, have a nice weekend!

Thanks David -- I'm more impressed rather than intimidated. smile I listened to some of your demos (possibly for the Modern U) and they were really well done!

You should definitely make some YouTube videos as you've got the chops and it will be great to see what a VST can do at the fingers of a professional.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
...I really have no love for having a bulky laptop/desktop computer connected to my piano. The energy required to hook up the laptop, sign in, run software, etc, is draining and takes away from my enjoyment of playing the piano....

You know .... I hear this often and I have to say it has not been my experience, using Pianoteq.

It is on my HP laptop on a tiny stand next to my Piano. It has Pianoteq loaded with a piano sound and it stays on all of the time.

I come to the piano ... push the ON button on my piano and my laptop springs to life in less than 10 seconds and I am ready to play.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I listened to some of your demos (possibly for the Modern U) and they were really well done!
Yes, I was honoured to have recorded some pieces for the Modern U. It's a great piano for classical music, and it has some wonderful delicate things hidden in that upright, however an upright is what some may say inferior to a concert grand. I was among those people for a time, but mainly because I don't like the action of an upright, especially after playing concert grands. smile
You should definitely make some YouTube videos as you've got the chops and it will be great to see what a VST can do at the fingers of a professional.
Yes, once I finish playing my solo recital, which happens tomorrow, I should be done with my semester shortly as well. Then it would be the time to play some things and share publically. I love piano VST's, they bring what's only available in the concert halls to my bedroom! smile

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by David Lai
I listened to some of your demos (possibly for the Modern U) and they were really well done!
Yes, I was honoured to have recorded some pieces for the Modern U. It's a great piano for classical music, and it has some wonderful delicate things hidden in that upright, however an upright is what some may say inferior to a concert grand. I was among those people for a time, but mainly because I don't like the action of an upright, especially after playing concert grands. smile
Yes, once I finish playing my solo recital, which happens tomorrow, I should be done with my semester shortly as well. Then it would be the time to play some things and share publically. I love piano VST's, they bring what's only available in the concert halls to my bedroom! smile

Wish you good luck on your recital and look forward to your pieces! What pieces are you playing for your recital?

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Originally Posted by dmd
...I really have no love for having a bulky laptop/desktop computer connected to my piano. The energy required to hook up the laptop, sign in, run software, etc, is draining and takes away from my enjoyment of playing the piano....

You know .... I hear this often and I have to say it has not been my experience, using Pianoteq.

It is on my HP laptop on a tiny stand next to my Piano. It has Pianoteq loaded with a piano sound and it stays on all of the time.

I come to the piano ... push the ON button on my piano and my laptop springs to life in less than 10 seconds and I am ready to play.

Best way. I never switch my piano off though. The laptop springs to life immediately I play, but the screeen lights up several seconds later . . . . .srange!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I also plan to make a recording where I use both P and N, and hopefully things will become more clear regarding the musical versatility afforded.

So... your recording will be NP-complete?

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Chrispy

So... your recording will be NP-complete?

laugh

Well played, sir. Well played. šŸ‘`

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission