2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndrewJCW, Carey, accordeur, Charles Cohen, 36251, c++, 18 invisible), 951 guests, and 558 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Struggling to decide total beginner for Debussy ES110/FP10
#3045503 11/13/20 11:52 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone hope we are all well smile currently trying to decide at the moment on my first ever Piano, been looking at the Digi ones and watching videos all week my dream is to learn to play and eventually get up to playing some Debussy. Which has been my dream for a long time.

Currently narrowed it down to the Kawai ES110, Roland FP30/FP10 and as another option the Casio PX770.

Just wondering have any of you experienced people played any Debussy on any of the above. (just been watching the JPS clips on youtube about the ES110)

What's everyone's take on the action's in that price range for Classical style playing.

Huge thanks in advance,

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Struggling to decide total beginner for Debussy ES110/FP10
norton rider #3045713 11/13/20 10:25 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I am assuming that you are a beginner, given that this will be your first piano.

It will likely be many years before you are able to play the pieces that Debussy is famous for (and which you are likely to have heard). By the time you are able to play such works, you wlll have acquired exponentially greater knowledge and understanding of the piano and piano music than what you currently possess. At the time your skills grow to such extent, you will be much better able to discern what type of instrument and sound you desire, and will be much better suited to making appropriate piano purchase decisions.

If you are very dedicated and diligent in your training, Debussy will come to you, but, many years from now. Until then, your piano experience will be filled with massive time commitments to practice, study, and cultivating your technique.

So, there is no point in worrying, at this time, about whether a certain composer sounds good on a certain digital piano. My advice is that your first purchase be guided by value for money spent. A realistic piano action, a sound that will not deter you from practicing, and reliability that will keep you playing for years to come is what you should be looking for.

The ES 110 seems a popular choice for beginners. Kawai is a quality company selling quality products. And, I have owned a Casio PX-760, which was the generation just preceding the PX-770 you are considering. The Casio provided great value for the money; I was happy with it up through my third year of playing. And, I do not think the Casio action had any negative impact on my learning technique, etc. While playing it almost exclusively, I was able to comfortably transfer my skills to whatever acoustic piano I had the opportunity to play.

I hope this helps you. I think you may have underestimated that task ahead of you, and consequently, put the cart a little before the horse. But, that's okay. Welcome to the piano, to our forum, and to a wonderful journey ahead.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
norton rider #3045722 11/13/20 11:13 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks for taking the time to reply Ralph yep total beginner really looking forward to learning.

I totally get you it's the ultimate aim, know its a huge task to get to where I want but that's part of the challenge and the journey through dedication and learning, looking forward to putting many hours n years in to the pursuit of the goal smile an yeah haha I have a habit of doing that lol Out of work on a career break with this covid so got all day every day to get stuck in smile + I'm a geek so love the details.

Actually managed to up the budget considerably so decided to stick with looking at the Kawai's but a bit higher in the range for the Action with RHIII and escapement. My temperature environment isnt' perfect till I move so that ruled the CA's out in my head anyway as I was concerned about the wooden keys as it's a bit all over at the moment.

Has anyone had experience of the cn29/39 if so what did you prefer and why from what I've read/watched the main noticeable difference is the additional speakers and a few more bells and whistles + more Polyphony. How noticeable is the difference in the speakers everyone? smile

Thanks again,

Last edited by norton rider; 11/13/20 11:13 PM.
norton rider #3045777 11/14/20 05:37 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Forget about upping the budget.

As a beginner, the Kawai ES110 and a pair of quality headphones is a very fine choice.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
norton rider #3045792 11/14/20 06:43 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Roland FP-30 owner here. I have been using the FP-30 for the past 2.5 years, after a very long hiatus from playing. Just this year I got into playing Debussy, and the instrument works perfectly fine for this. So far, I am only playing works that require a very subtle touch, and even though the FP-30 has a fairly heavy touch (at least compared to the Kawai), it easily allows gentle and etheric playing. I cannot imagine this instrument being an obstacle in anyones efforts to play Debussy.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
norton rider #3045814 11/14/20 08:20 AM
O
O
I’d take an FP-30 over the FP-10... so if you can (££), consider the FP-30 vs other candidates from Casio/Yamaha/Kawai.

As for the ES110 - for the life of me, I can’t remember whether I tried/heard the ES100 or ES110 when shopping for my first DP. I hadn’t had a single lesson yet, but I LIKED how it sounded... e-piano sounds were way better too.

Didn’t like the Yamaha (but it’s been updated since then AFAIK?).

I didn’t even consider/look at a Casio.

The Kawai’s higher price (at the time) steered me towards the FP-30... but I sold that a year later because I found the keys a bit harsh on my fingers. Couldn’t have known at the time of purchase because I had zero experience.

I could easily have ordered the Kawai and been very happy with it - but, as some people say: “if my auntie was a man she’d be my uncle”. 😂

Four years in... still a beginner, but I have a better idea of what I like/want.

Buy something and get stuck in... don’t spend too much. Those entry level DPs you’re considering are easy to sell should you wish to purchase something else in future. 👍

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 11/14/20 08:21 AM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
norton rider #3045928 11/14/20 12:42 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Difficult choice but ended up going for the Kawai CA-49 really looking forward to learning.

Thanks for all the advice,

Last edited by norton rider; 11/14/20 12:45 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Searching for my first piano
by AndresVel - 01/16/21 03:34 PM
Tuning pin video
by accordeur - 01/16/21 03:22 PM
Concert pianist opintions regarding DP actions
by Marc345 - 01/16/21 02:50 PM
Size, placement, brand
by Anjru - 01/16/21 02:31 PM
KAWAI CA79 METRONOME
by Giovanni Zanini - 01/16/21 01:43 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,297
Posts3,047,382
Members100,079
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission