2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
Originally Posted by Carey
I think that the 2nd Impromptu (Opus 36) would be the most underplayed of the four Impromptus - given the difficulty of the final section. All those running notes - yikes !!

https://youtu.be/DpcBEpiLDWA

I'm amazed that Henle rates all four Impromptus at Level 7 (difficult). This one is clearly an 8.

I agree that this is a stunning piece. Only last year, I think, I heard this as if for the first time. Listened to it so much that I had to learn it. That's how that happens.

To me there is a rare quality to this piece because of the overall mood, organization of the sections and variety of style. Each section flows into the next but the nature of the sections are so dramatically different. The wonderfully subdued opening leads to jubilant expression in the closing pages.

I worked on this with my teacher from beginning to end but it didn't make it to the "done" pile (partly because it was never on the agenda to learn haha). That last section and the section before it (my favorite) are very difficult. Hopefully will return to it sometime next year. Similar to the comments about op. 51, there are few performances of this piece that I really like. I find Claudio Arrau to be a reliable source for the Nocturnes and Impromptus and he doesn't disappoint in the op. 36.

Someone else will mention it eventually but I will add Brahms Variations on an Original Theme op. 21 no. 1. I've heard many versions but at this point I'm not really sure which to recommend. I "found" the piece when hearing Julius Katchen's recording. You could certainly do worse. It's wonderful.

It seems that Brahms developed this composition over an extended period of time while he was working out his own techniques in variation. He did this during a period of obsession over the late Beethoven sonatas.

Missed the edit window! Volodos does an excellent job on the Brahms. It's a nice alternative as the approach is very different. It's more clearly expressive and lacks the occasional harshness of the Katchen recording.

Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
...Someone else will mention it eventually....

We might not have! ha

....I will add Brahms Variations on an Original Theme op. 21 no. 1.

YES!
Big time.

In fact, if I'd thought of it I might have said that the 3rd Impromptu is only in second place!

It seems that Brahms developed this composition over an extended period of time while he was working out his own techniques in variation. He did this during a period of obsession over the late Beethoven sonatas.

I've seen a quote to that effect -- in German (maybe in the German language wiki article on the piece?). I didn't remember that it was specifically about the late sonatas, but that certainly makes sense. I worked on the piece for a while last year (gave it up because I saw that I was never going to 'get there' with at least one of the variations), and the last variation reminded me all over the place of the second movement of Opus 111.

I can understand why the piece isn't performed more. Maybe this isn't the main reason but I'm sure it's in there: It is a hard piece to "bring off" to an audience, and I think it is very much an acquired taste. I'd guess that many or most people who love it came to love it only after multiple hearings. One of the top contestants in the amateur competitions had it on his program for (I think) the semi-finals in one of those events -- I think the first time anyone had done the piece in any of the U.S. amateur competitions (and I think still the only time). I was looking forward greatly to it, and I alerted some of the others -- like, 'you gotta hear this piece.' They were all disappointed, and I don't think it was particularly because of the performance, but because of how the piece is.

I personally love it.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Chopin:sonata 1, op.4 and Allegro de Concert op.46, really practically no one has these in the fingers (I happen to do haha), Schumann: 2nd sonata op.14 'Concert sans Orchestre', Brahms: 1st sonata op.1, a masterpiece, Alkan 3 pieces dans le genre pathetique, op.15: should be played!, Schmitt: 'Ombres", a brother of Gaspard.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
S
S

F
F
Thank you for making this thread, for my purpose on this forum is actually worthwhile now!

Edward MacDowell's Piano Concerto No. 2 in D minor. While it was once played as often as the Grieg A minor concerto, the MacDowell is barely heard today, in part because almost everyone who championed the piece has now passed.

Some of these pianists included, but were not limited to: Edward MacDowell himself (of course), Teresa Carreño (never recorded any concerti), Jesùs Maria Sanromà (made the first recording of this concerto), Van Cliburn (his mother's favorite composer was MacDowell), Gary Graffman (he never recorded it but he has played it before, at least on one occasion in 1950), and Andrè Watts (still alive thankfully).

My favorite interpretation is that of Cliburn. It was what convinced me to learn this piece (even though I don't think anyone other than perhaps MacDowell and Carreño will EVER play it as well as Cliburn). The long arches of melody are done in such a way that this piece almost seems like a Rachmaninoff concerto.

Which is ironic, cause Rachmaninoff once attended a concert of Carreño and Nikisich playing this very concerto, and didn't like it. What gives!

https://www.youtube.com/@4ms (Music and hobbies)
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by scriabinfanatic

I had a feeling that was going to be the Scriabin Concerto!

For a while I co-hosted a classical music radio show. One time I did a "guess the composer" call in show. I included this piece. Nobody had a clue.

I love the last movement especially. I've had some chances to play with an orchestra. I'd do this concerto -- if I could.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by iaintagreatpianist
Edward MacDowell's Piano Concerto No. 2 in D minor....barely heard today....

Speaking of radio and "name the composer," one time years ago I was driving along and turned on the local classical radio station. It was in the middle of some piano concerto -- Romantic-ish, probably Russian but I had some doubt -- I really had no idea. It was this -- played by Cliburn.

My favorite interpretation is that of Cliburn.

How about that! smile

BTW, I have about 20 recordings of Brahms' 2ne Concerto, and for a while the piece was sort of the only thing I listened to, over and over, all the recordings. My favorite was: Cliburn
Runner-up: Rubinstein

I know that some would say this means I must be mentally challenged. ha

It was what convinced me to learn this piece....

So you even play it!

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Cool thread with some beautiful playing. I was surprised at how well a young Scriabin was paid for his concerto! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Concerto_(Scriabin)

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It’s easier to say what Scriabin works are overplayed 😕 I think Etude op.8/12. Can’t think of anything else. He is so terribly underplayed. BTW, you can call me scriabinfanatic2 😛

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
M
Great thread. Another jewel that is totally under performed.

Granados' Escenas Romanticas. Difficult to find a full you tube video but here you go. This is a particularly fine performance. Perhaps the reason for this work not being performed so often is the Allegro Appassionato (no 5) which is quite a devil. Starts at 15.23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73BoD7nadyk

Enjoy

Deon

1928 Knabe grand. Currently fantasizing and preparing Beethoven op. 110. Still struggling with Baba Black sheep.
M
M
Forgot to add - this piano has a truly buttery sound!

Deon

1928 Knabe grand. Currently fantasizing and preparing Beethoven op. 110. Still struggling with Baba Black sheep.
Edward MacDowell's Piano Concerto No. 2 in D minor. While it was once played as often as the Grieg A minor concerto, the MacDowell is barely heard today, in part because almost everyone who championed the piece has now passed.
Everyone who originally champion any piece always die. The question is why no new champions appeared for the Macdowell. Almost no Macdowell whether solo or concerto is played today. I don't think I've heard even one Macdowell piece on the hundreds of recitals I've attended.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/13/20 10:14 AM.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
There are so many pieces that are actually never played. Not all of them are masterpieces, but certainly worth listening. Just in the area of piano concerto, i could find easily several that are never played. The classic repertoire regularly played is so narrow, even within 19th century and 20th century tonal music.

Blüthner model 6
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sidokar
There are so many pieces that are actually neve....Just in the area of piano concerto, i could find easily several that are never played...

....which reminds me of this piece which I hadn't even thought of, because of that, but which is the one piece I would choose if I had a magic wand that let me be able to play one piece that I would choose:

The best movement to me is the last (it's also the hardest), but I love them all.

F
F
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Edward MacDowell's Piano Concerto No. 2 in D minor....barely heard today....

Speaking of radio and "name the composer," one time years ago I was driving along and turned on the local classical radio station. It was in the middle of some piano concerto -- Romantic-ish, probably Russian but I had some doubt -- I really had no idea. It was this -- played by Cliburn.

MacDowell was American, but under Cliburn's hands it sounded Russian. Perhaps that's why I like his interpretation best. I've read a biography of MacDowell before, by E. Douglas Bomberger, and he clearly states that MacDowell was not interested in creating a national sound for America, but rather, simply in creating music.

My favorite interpretation is that of Cliburn.

How about that! smile

BTW, I have about 20 recordings of Brahms' 2ne Concerto, and for a while the piece was sort of the only thing I listened to, over and over, all the recordings. My favorite was: Cliburn
Runner-up: Rubinstein

I know that some would say this means I must be mentally challenged. ha

Interesting you mention that, one of my piano teacher's colleagues, who really studied both Brahms and Schumann, also told me his favorite interpretation of the Brahms Second Concerto was Cliburn's!

It was what convinced me to learn this piece....

So you even play it!
Yes, I play the MacDowell Second Concerto. Well, I'm learning it. The first movement I can do pretty well, but the second movement I still need some work, and the third I haven't finished (heck, I just started the third movement!).

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Everyone who originally champion any piece always die. The question is why no new champions appeared for the Macdowell. Almost no Macdowell whether solo or concerto is played today. I don't think I've heard even one Macdowell piece on the hundreds of recitals I've attended.

I have suspicions about why MacDowell is no longer played these days, but I press on anyways. I personally feel his works need a revival. Liszt respected him, so did Grieg, Godowsky & Paderewski.

It's true that Rachmaninoff did not like MacDowell's music, but I feel Rachmaninoff and MacDowell weren't so far apart. Both were among the finest composers in their countries, both did not like the direction that music was going in their homelands, etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/@4ms (Music and hobbies)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by achoo42
Most Schumann masterpieces belong high up on a list of most "underperformed" works.

Among them: Davidsbundlertanze, Sonata No.3, Humoreske, Novelletten, and Bunte Blatter.

The first and last are two of my favorites by Schumann. There's a fair number of op. 6 recordings to enjoy but not so much for the op. 99.

Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
Chopin:sonata 1, op.4 and Allegro de Concert op.46, really practically no one has these in the fingers (I happen to do haha), Schumann: 2nd sonata op.14 'Concert sans Orchestre', Brahms: 1st sonata op.1, a masterpiece, Alkan 3 pieces dans le genre pathetique, op.15: should be played!, Schmitt: 'Ombres", a brother of Gaspard.

Any recommendations on the Brahms op. 1? I listened to it today and still not getting it (I picked a random performance). Then started to listen to another recording and it was like an entirely different piece of music. I might have to try a few more.

I would add Brahms 2nd sonata op. 2 to that list https://youtu.be/se5agQ6dSkc (Peter Rösel). It's probably played a bit more than op. 1 but much less than op. 5.

So in the second attempt to listen to Op. 1 I was quite shocked by how amazing he closes the first movement. I guess I never made it that far in the past. I'll keep this one on my todo list. It just doesn't grab hold in the shocking way that the op. 2 does. I think op. 2 is my favorite. The writing is almost comically far out.

Originally Posted by Sidokar
There are so many pieces that are actually neve....Just in the area of piano concerto, i could find easily several that are never played...

....which reminds me of this piece which I hadn't even thought of, because of that, but which is the one piece I would choose if I had a magic wand that let me be able to play one piece that I would choose:

The best movement to me is the last (it's also the hardest), but I love them all.

Yeah, this Henslet concerto is a great example of underplayed. Never heard it before but I really like it. It seems this one is really NOT played much at all. The link says there's only three recordings and no one bothers to play this. I don't hear much that's similar to Rachmaninoff (and didn't follow that link) but there were times that I was almost hearing the Busoni concerto in there (I realize this one predates Busoni), especially in the religioso section.

There's a lot to enjoy in this thread. I've always loved the Scriabin Concerto. Not sure why that isn't played more. I don't even care much for Scriabin otherwise but that concerto is still very special.

I haven't heard the MacDowell but will give it a listen soon.

I've seen a quote to that effect -- in German (maybe in the German language wiki article on the piece?). I didn't remember that it was specifically about the late sonatas, but that certainly makes sense. I worked on the piece for a while last year (gave it up because I saw that I was never going to 'get there' with at least one of the variations), and the last variation reminded me all over the place of the second movement of Opus 111.

I can understand why the piece isn't performed more. Maybe this isn't the main reason but I'm sure it's in there: It is a hard piece to "bring off" to an audience, and I think it is very much an acquired taste. I'd guess that many or most people who love it came to love it only after multiple hearings. One of the top contestants in the amateur competitions had it on his program for (I think) the semi-finals in one of those events -- I think the first time anyone had done the piece in any of the U.S. amateur competitions (and I think still the only time). I was looking forward greatly to it, and I alerted some of the others -- like, 'you gotta hear this piece.' They were all disappointed, and I don't think it was particularly because of the performance, but because of how the piece is.

I personally love it.

I don't have any sources. I researched it quite a bit when working on it and some of the information I found made for a nice narrative. Here's a link since I forgot to provide one (Peter Rösel): https://youtu.be/pJkzUEi4KyI

Your assessment of why it's not played more is reasonable. Although I had heard it in the past it never did anything for me until recently. I never got the piece to a performance level but even if I had, I'm not sure in what context I would perform it. For all the trouble I think it would be a tough sell. But if I performed regularly I'd find an excuse to add it smile

B
B
Any recommendations on the Brahms op. 1? I listened to it today and still not getting it (I picked a random performance). Then started to listen to another recording and it was like an entirely different piece of music. I might have to try a few more.
Did you listen to Krystian Zimerman? I gave the link in my earlier post.

Here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdlTTS2av9g

If music be the food of love, play on!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by achoo42
Most Schumann masterpieces belong high up on a list of most "underperformed" works.

Among them: Davidsbundlertanze, Sonata No.3, Humoreske, Novelletten, and Bunte Blatter.

I don't understand why some Schumann isn't more popular. I particularly love the 3rd sonata. Gesänge Der Frühe is another favourite.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with OP about the third impromptu. Easily the best one and nobody plays it.

Originally Posted by chopinetto
I agree with OP about the third impromptu. Easily the best one and nobody plays it.
If you look at YouTube you will see there are numerous recordings. Amateur pianists may not play it as much as the first and fourth Impromptus because of its technical difficulty.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/19/20 11:23 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission