2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
I am curious about how you find those differences between 6 and 7. I installed yesterday another first, Cubase Pro 11. Well, what best to check it than the brand new PTQ 7!. So I inserted an instrument track for each and put an insert, on the output, of the very advanced new metering system than Cubase 11 incorporates. I also put on my headphones. I used the VPC1 for the tests.

So, selecting on PTQ 6 and 7 the exact same preset, for several different pianos, I was able to instantly switch and see (spectrum and level wise) the differences (comparing notes, triads, with and without pedal)... which were completely absent!. So, please, could someone explain the exact setup used to find those big differences?. I am truly puzzled.

To be honest I found one difference: the U4 pedal noise was missing on PTQ7. I guess that is a minor bug, as it was OK for the rest of pianos.

I correct myself. Doing some more tests today, I can find (i.e. hear) the difference on all models. Subtle, but present. I guess yesterday I was too tired, after all day trying to get Cubase Pro 11 to activate cursing )

It is harder (for me at least) to find the difference on U4 than Bluethner, for example. All in all, I would say there is an improvement on PTQ 7 model towards the real thing.

I have also found that some basses are differently tuned on some piano models from 6 to 7. Does anyone know why?. I guess both tunings are technically correct.

The MORPH feature is a powerful one. To check it, I have built my own Pop piano with a 3-piano mix thumb

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
F
F
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
It is harder (for me at least) to find the difference on U4 than Bluethner, for example. All in all, I would say there is an improvement on PTQ 7 model towards the real thing.

For me the Bechstein has the most notable change from the instruments that I own, but it's more noticable for me when I play myself then listening to the recording I made yesterday from the MIDI.

But you are right, it's more a subtle change that gives the piano more "body" then an earth shattering difference. The overall tone sounds pretty similar to me.

G
G
What I want to add is that I absolutely love ptq for their harpsichords and fortepianos. Man they sound so good and play much better than anything else I've tried. They sound so real honestly. I think it really difficult to say anything against these models...

Kawai E200-ATX3
Mostly VSL's, Garritan, Modern U, Grandeur
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
On another product from Modartt is Organteq. I have been listening to it more and more and if it ever goes on sale I will be tempted by it.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
What are the details of the trial downloads, please? Length of time, notes missing, etc.
Also, do you need a license device to download the full version? Thanks!

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What are the limitation ?

- 8 notes are disabled (silent): F#1, G#1, A#1, C#5, D#5, F#5, G#5 and A#5.
- Must be restarted after 20 minutes.

And it is free, you don’t lost much money downloading it.

When you buy a licence, you have a dedicated user area where you can download the « real » version. This version can act in a demo mode with instruments you haven’t bought.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 11/12/20 04:15 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Thank you Frederic L!

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
R
R
Just downloaded and upgraded to 7, all of my original presets are now available.
I tried a few of my favorite pianos(Bluthner and SteinwayB), and to my surprise, the high-notes metallic sounds I didn't like before disappeared, replaced by a rounder and gentle voice.
I'll take the time to do some more careful comparison and try out some new features such as layering and morphing.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
So if we remap those 8 to other keys (e.g. A0, A#0, B0, A8, A#8, B8, C8) and then adjust the pitch of those keys we'd have a full 80 keys running for 20 mins smile

Last edited by Burkey; 11/12/20 10:45 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Burkey
So if we remap those 8 to other keys (e.g. A0, A#0, B0, A8, A#8, B8, C8) and then adjust the pitch of those keys we'd have a full 80 keys running for 20 mins smile

I did something like that using DimPro and having multi instances open of it for the few notes Pianoteq were silent for. I put each instance of DimPro for only one note. I just did it as a challenge to see if I could do it. That was quite a few years ago. In Mixcraft it would be really simple using the virtual Instrument Window in the DAW. This lets you stack multiple instruments on one track.
So when there is a will there is a way.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
R
R
Bad news for me, after upgraded to 7, I feel Bechstein D282 is completely different.
I'm using my original preset, but it becomes thinner and sharper.
Other pianos are fine, especially the Hamburg Steinway D, which has become usable and nicer now.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Boring. Should be called V1.7.

Greg

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@Burkey: To fix dead key "X" ... if you remap X ... what would you map it to? To a working key Y, right? And then re-pitch Y key to the pitch of X. (I don't know how to do do that, but perhaps you do?)

But now you've lost the use of key Y. Bummer.

But wait! Suppose you map Y to Z and re-pitch Z to the pitch of Y. Now Y works.

But now Z doesn't work.

So you repeat all of this. You "push" a bunch of keys downward, and then remap their pitches accordingly.

Nice. But can you do it?

I know you suffixed your post with a smiley. But you are not Pete14. You might actually be serious. So the question stands: Can you do it?
Originally Posted by Burkey

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by robinlb
Bad news for me, after upgraded to 7, I feel Bechstein D282 is completely different.
I'm using my original preset, but it becomes thinner and sharper.
Other pianos are fine, especially the Hamburg Steinway D, which has become usable and nicer now.

Over the years my "modifications" have been reduced to nothing to accommodate this issue.

Right now .... I am fine with "as is".

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
I love the new NY Steinway D Classical Recording.
This is the preset which Phil Best uses in his Video.
You can not compare the sound with the American D from Ivory.
The Ivory is wam and clear. It is one of my favority VSTs.

The NY is more mellow and wam, but it has this room filling sound,wonderful.

You should try it. grin

Yamaha P 525
VSL D-274 , BI and CFX, NI Komplete Ultimate, VPS Avenger, Gig Performer
IK loud MTMs, Motu M4, DT 990 pro, AKG702, Macbook pro M1
O
O
Okay, so I've had the chance to spend my day off work with Pianoteq 7. On my first try I wasn't over enamoured with the update, and had parked it until today. Firstly I binned my presets from V6, and built everything up from scratch - even building myself a totally new velocity curve. Everything seems to react a bit differently in V6, but what does seem to cause the horrible blooming effect that I was whinging about in my last post, is the condition slider. Usually I always set this to .33 which gave a more vibrant sound (and less perfect) in V6 - this now causes a horrible ringing that I just can't stand.

I have a lot more playing around to do, but I'm pretty confident that I'm going to grow into V7 just fine.

Here's a little clip of two pianos... the first half is a recording of a Kawai Baby Grand Piano, and the second half is Pianoteq tweaked to be as similar as I could get it: https://clyp.it/z2zbvzj0

F
F
Originally Posted by oswaldpeters
Okay, so I've had the chance to spend my day off work with Pianoteq 7. On my first try I wasn't over enamoured with the update, and had parked it until today. Firstly I binned my presets from V6, and built everything up from scratch - even building myself a totally new velocity curve. Everything seems to react a bit differently in V6, but what does seem to cause the horrible blooming effect that I was whinging about in my last post, is the condition slider. Usually I always set this to .33 which gave a more vibrant sound (and less perfect) in V6 - this now causes a horrible ringing that I just can't stand.

I have a lot more playing around to do, but I'm pretty confident that I'm going to grow into V7 just fine.

Here's a little clip of two pianos... the first half is a recording of a Kawai Baby Grand Piano, and the second half is Pianoteq tweaked to be as similar as I could get it: https://clyp.it/z2zbvzj0

Wow, that sounds pretty similiar, mind sharing that FXP laugh

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by oswaldpeters

Very nice, both playing and sound. May I ask what preset you are using as a starting point?

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
S
S
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
Very nice, both playing and sound. May I ask what preset you are using as a starting point?

My guess is the Bechstein

E
E
Great example! I seems it would be even better if you lower the condition a little.

VSL Steinway D-274, Pianoteq 7, Ravenscroft 275
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission