2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
35 members (emnayisay, Audio67, Beowulf, Belma, DavidWB, Chouca, CharlesXX, AndrewJCW, 5 invisible), 498 guests, and 488 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Steinway Model M concerns?
Chernobieff Piano #3040804 10/29/20 06:28 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I'm finding that the Mason and Hamlin AA (one of my favorites) has a serious flaw. There are not enough bolts to support the pinblock in the field. And the pinblock goes quite far in front of the pins unsupported. With the flange cast at a steep angle, the strings pull the pinblock down and cause the pins to hit the front of the hole. I was able to fix this by adding 6 more screws closer to the agraffes.
-chris
Your post makes it sound like this is a flaw in Masons of today . Only some posts later do you say that this is for a Mason over 100 years old!

pianoloverus #3040888 10/30/20 12:06 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I'm finding that the Mason and Hamlin AA (one of my favorites) has a serious flaw. There are not enough bolts to support the pinblock in the field. And the pinblock goes quite far in front of the pins unsupported. With the flange cast at a steep angle, the strings pull the pinblock down and cause the pins to hit the front of the hole. I was able to fix this by adding 6 more screws closer to the agraffes.
-chris
Your post makes it sound like this is a flaw in Masons of today . Only some posts later do you say that this is for a Mason over 100 years old!

Has this been noted in any recent production of M & H? If not, I find this post quite strange as surely this problem has been fixed in 120 years. Since it did not have a resonator, it was made prior to 1900.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Chernobieff Piano #3040962 10/30/20 07:32 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
-chris

You're a clever technician

calenadariel #3041211 10/30/20 09:54 PM
C
OP Offline
C
So I went to try out the piano.
I thought it was probably in a good shape - the keys seem to respond pretty well and action felt even and fairly good. It produced nice sound and felt like a newer piano.

But the piano was not in its best shape to fully appreciate what it can do. So I am a bit unsure now.
The piano was out of tune and what I felt was that it was nice but nothing really special. I tried a couple of pianos that just gave me a real special beautiful rich tone and this one was definitely not one of those pianos.

But then I am not sure if it is just not prepared well enough to show what it can really do. The seller is still working to receive the report of the repairs/work. But the seller said it was done with all authentic Steinway parts and there is a kind of signed seal to show the approval from Steinway. I am debating whether I want to go back and try it one more time to see how I feel about it. The owner said the piano hasn't been tuned during the past few years.

On the other hand, I went to a store and tried a Seiler that was really impressive. It is tad bit larger than what I am hoping for (6'2") and it was Indonesia-made so the price was very good, too. This one had a really beautiful tone and I enjoyed playing it a lot. I also tried a Germany-made Seiler (7"?) which made glorious sounds too. I have zero experience or knowledge of Seiler pianos but they were both very very nice. And these were new pianos (I think) and the store owner is willing to discount the 6'2" one to match my budget ($20K). I guess I probably should start a new thread for asking this question, but what are these pianos like?

GC13 #3041212 10/30/20 09:57 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by GC13
Based on what I've seen, $26k for a Steinway M that has been refurbished well is not a bad deal. Yes, you can find used very nice M&H's, Baldiwn's, etc. at a better price point, but a Steinway does usually bring more money just because of the name. Just make sure it checks out!

Thanks. It seems like the seller may be willing to negotiate the price a bit more too. I am not sure the exact amount, but he suggested that he can make it to lower 20K - maybe 22K? It seems like the family's children used to play the piano and they haven't done so for a few years and now they are thinking it is time to get rid of it.

calenadariel #3041226 10/30/20 11:33 PM
J
J
We’re not talking about grandma’s old spinet here. We’re talking a $20K+ piano. For the kind of money the seller is asking, I’d expect them to have the piano tuned for those considering the purchase. I’d tell the seller straight-up, “You're asking $26,000 for this piano but you won’t put $200 into it so it’ll sound it’s best for those considering buying it?”

jakedaniel #3041231 10/31/20 12:00 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by jakedaniel
We’re not talking about grandma’s old spinet here. We’re talking a $20K+ piano. For the kind of money the seller is asking, I’d expect them to have the piano tuned for those considering the purchase. I’d tell the seller straight-up, “You're asking $26,000 for this piano but you won’t put $200 into it so it’ll sound it’s best for those considering buying it?”

Exactly!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
calenadariel #3041237 10/31/20 12:56 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
A piano discounted to $20,000 that you don’t love still costs you $20,000 snd you may never love it. Don’t try to talk yourself into it because it MAY be a good deal, or because it is a Steinway. Keep moving.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
jakedaniel #3041272 10/31/20 06:50 AM
V
V

Took the words out of my mouth!

violarules #3041293 10/31/20 08:04 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by violarules

Took the words out of my mouth!

We're all thinking the same thing. Calenadariel, the Steinway may be a really sweet piano and you may be able to get a real deal on it if you want a Steinway, but you may need to check in to having an independent technician inspect it for you. You also want to make sure you have a concert-level technician check it out. You might be able to talk the seller into investing in good tuning and some voicing/regulation to see what the potential of it is. It just depends on how much you're willing to pursue it and what the seller is willing to do.

On the other hand as other's have said, there are many excellent, comparable pianos by other manufacturer's that don't command the higher price tag that a Steinway does. In my experience, I've noticed that the price of used Steinway core pianos (it needs a complete rebuild) can often be has high has the used value of comparable Baldwin, M&H, Yamaha, & Kawai models that are in excellent condition. That's one reason why a Steinway has a higher value. It can bring more money when they have been rebuilt expert technicians.

Last edited by GC13; 10/31/20 08:06 AM.
calenadariel #3041353 10/31/20 12:04 PM
Pass.

You can do better.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
calenadariel #3041354 10/31/20 12:08 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by calenadariel
But then I am not sure if it is just not prepared well enough to show what it can really do. The seller is still working to receive the report of the repairs/work. But the seller said it was done with all authentic Steinway parts and there is a kind of signed seal to show the approval from Steinway. I am debating whether I want to go back and try it one more time to see how I feel about it. The owner said the piano hasn't been tuned during the past few years.

On the other hand, I went to a store and tried a Seiler that was really impressive. It is tad bit larger than what I am hoping for (6'2") and it was Indonesia-made so the price was very good, too. This one had a really beautiful tone and I enjoyed playing it a lot. I also tried a Germany-made Seiler (7"?) which made glorious sounds too. I have zero experience or knowledge of Seiler pianos but they were both very very nice. And these were new pianos (I think) and the store owner is willing to discount the 6'2" one to match my budget ($20K). I guess I probably should start a new thread for asking this question, but what are these pianos like?

Sounds like that's not your Steinway.
Here's the brand profile and US market pricing information for Seiler:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/seiler/

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
terminaldegree #3041358 10/31/20 12:15 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

Sounds like that's not your Steinway.

+1

January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month
BruceD #3041359 10/31/20 12:15 PM

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

Exactly!

+1

calenadariel #3041370 10/31/20 12:41 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A buyer can't reasonably be expected to guess how an out-of-tune piano will sound after it is tuned.

johnstaf #3041378 10/31/20 12:57 PM

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
A buyer can't reasonably be expected to guess how an out-of-tune piano will sound after it is tuned.

Yes, or if it will even hold a tune!

calenadariel #3041593 11/01/20 12:18 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the candid and cool-headed advice. This really helped me to see the situation without getting strangely emotional about the process.
I think I will pass on this Steinway and keep searching. I actually have tried a few more pianos this week and I found a few pianos that really feel great and sound wonderful. So I don't feel like I need to settle or force myself to consider this option.

calenadariel #3041680 11/01/20 07:40 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks for the candid and cool-headed advice. This really helped me to see the situation without getting strangely emotional about the process.
I think I will pass on this Steinway and keep searching. I actually have tried a few more pianos this week and I found a few pianos that really feel great and sound wonderful. So I don't feel like I need to settle or force myself to consider this option.

Good move! Shopping around and considering all your options is the key. That will always settle the issue in the heart and mind.

The name Steinway always grabs attention because of their brand recognition and the inexperienced buyer always expects a Cadillac of a piano, however, there are plenty of them out there that have not been maintained properly. Sellers often think the piano should demand top "Steinway" dollar, just because it's a Steinway without being willing to invest in the work to bring it up to that level. But I guess this can actually be said of any piano make from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Keep us posted on how your search is going.

Last edited by GC13; 11/01/20 07:44 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha or Rolan Or William rhapsody
by Belma - 01/15/21 11:22 PM
Kawai GX2 vs Shimmel 180
by tony3304 - 01/15/21 10:51 PM
N3X Lid Pin Sticking Out?
by tierce_de_picardie - 01/15/21 07:45 PM
Polyester finish Yammy
by bill miller - 01/15/21 07:29 PM
Stack of Thirds Temperament
by Seeker - 01/15/21 07:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,280
Posts3,047,136
Members100,069
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission