2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
48 members (DigitalSpace, bwv872, cozmopak, dhull100, Carey, Dfrankjazz, cagal, Beowulf, 10 invisible), 505 guests, and 470 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Beethoven and Sauter
#3040730 10/29/20 02:42 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L
Here is some beautiful Beethoven on a lovely sounding Sauter

https://youtu.be/2_e_R6NXUYk

Re: Beethoven and Sauter
Lady Bird #3040766 10/29/20 04:03 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sounded very lovely, Lady Bird! The performance and the piano!

You have good taste in music, and pianos. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #3040778 10/29/20 04:54 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rickster

Rick
Thanks Richter !
Actually it is a lovely piece and the piano is lovely. I am not sure if its a Delta or Omega model. We have a few Deltas here in Vancouver and an Omega, but too much for me.(price )
How is the your music going , on your beautiful C7 ?
Are you setting any poems to music lately ?

Lady Bird #3040780 10/29/20 05:00 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

Rick
Thanks Richter !
Actually it is a lovely piece and the piano is lovely. I am not sure if its a Delta or Omega model. We have a few Deltas here in Vancouver and an Omega, but too much for me.(price )

The piano is a Sauter concert 275

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Lady Bird #3040784 10/29/20 05:12 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L
dogsperson,
Thanks I wondered if it was the full concert. The Omega is a semi concert. From a recording I cannot really judge the size
The sound did seem more than what the Delta could give .

Lady Bird #3040820 10/29/20 07:14 PM

Rick
Thanks Richter !

The C7 is doing fine, Lady Bird, and sounds as good as ever. It sounded fantastic when the Piano Buddies members were playing their pieces, many of them classical pieces, not long ago. It may not have sounded as good as the Sauter grand in the YT video you posted, but still plenty good for my purposes.

I've been doing some work on my Baldwin R. It sounded a bit bright and harsh at the recent Piano Buddies event, but I knew it needed some voicing work. I have not done a lot of work on the Baldwin R since I purchased it several years ago, other than tuning, and some minor regulation. So, I decided it was time, and I was in the mood.

I reshaped the hammers, which did have some string grooves, and did some hammer voicing with the voicing needling tool. It turned out well, and it sounds better, less strident and harsh; I was pleased with the result. The work I did didn't change the timber of the tone from bright to mellow, but it did change the quality of the tone, for the better. So, I've been playing the Baldwin R a good bit lately, and having a ball!

And, no, I have not written any new poems, or songs lately, but there is always a new poem or song lurking nearby in my mind. smile

I hope you and your husband are doing well, staying safe, and enjoying your beautiful Sauter vertical piano! Judging from the video you posted, the Sauter is indeed a high quality brand.

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Lady Bird #3040838 10/29/20 08:15 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Rick,

It is always so nice listening to ones piano played by others but of course with your Piano Buddies members it must have been
very special.
It reminds me of times in South Africa when we would have or go to musical evenings .At that time it was always quite formal .Performers carefully chosen .Sometimes singers ;performers on other instruments, sometimes some musial comedy. My husband's teacher asked me to play at the one held in his home.
At the time I never knew my husband but that was where I met him ,at that musical evening .
So yes these musical gatherings are far more relaxed now which is more fun. Not so stuffy .
Did you find everyone used the C3 or did some play on your Baldwin ?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/29/20 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Lady Bird #3040855 10/29/20 09:09 PM
Hi Rick,

It is always so nice listening to ones piano played by others but of course with your Piano Buddies members it must have been
very special.
It reminds me of times in South Africa when we would have or go to musical evenings .At that time it was always quite formal .Performers carefully chosen .Sometimes singers ;performers on other instruments, sometimes some musial comedy. My husband's teacher asked me to play at the one held in his home.
At the time I never knew my husband but that was where I met him ,at that musical evening .
So yes these musical gatherings are far more relaxed now which is more fun. Not so stuffy .
Did you find everyone used the C3 or did some play on your Baldwin ?

It is nice that you met your husband at a musical event where you were performing, Lady Bird!

I first met my late wife on the steps of an old country Baptist Church many years ago. In fact, I wrote a song about that event entitled, "I never knew I'd fall in love with an angel". The words of the first verse are "I met you on the steps of a little country Church, just on the outskirts of town. I thought you were an angel, come down from the clouds, to mingle with a simple earthly crowd. I sat right next to you, on a padded wooden pew, while the preacher preached his sermon loud and clear. And then we talked a while, and then we shared a smile. Those memories will always be so dear". When I sing that song, it brings tears to my eyes. (I'll send you a recording of that song.)

But, alas, that is just one of my many original songs. I wrote another song about my late wife entitled "I'd travel to the ends of the earth for you". And, another entitled "Loving you my darling was the right thing to do". And, several more too.

Anyway, yes, the Yamaha C7 was by far the more popular piano at the Piano Buddies event, but some did play the Baldwin R. I like both pianos, but if I had to choose only one, I'd choose the C7 by far.

Both pianos have a different tone, and key-touch. The Baldwin R action feels nice to play, and is newer in age than the C7. But despite some age and wear, the C7 is just a better piano than the Baldwin R, and in a different category, being a larger, semi-concert grand piano. But I still like the Baldwin R. It is kind of like having two vehicles of different makes, and models. They are not the same, though both get you from point A to point B. smile

Rick

Lady Bird #3040863 10/29/20 09:33 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you for sharing about where you met your wife Rick.
"On the steps of an old country church".Yes there is something sublime about that .I can understand you writing a song about it .At times we realise how strange life is.It reminds me of that painting I once saw of a Victorian
gentleman helping a beautiful lady walk down some stairs.
I cannot even remember where I saw it. It could have been in the old Art gallery in Durban. They later removed all those Victorian pictures and filled the place with African arts and crafts .There was an original John Constable painting there among other important works.(from an earlier period)
So yes I would love to hear that song Rick ! Yes I did play at that musical evening , wonderfull memories. Sorry if I am rushing my ending .There seems to be a problem with me writing everything I would like here. (Tne "tight leash" I was promised)

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/29/20 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Lady Bird #3040868 10/29/20 09:43 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you for responding to my thread even if its just about a Sauter grand . 🤪 🤪 😜 ( I mean I appreciate it )

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/29/20 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Lady Bird #3040871 10/29/20 10:22 PM
Thank you for sharing about where you met your wife Rick.
"On the steps of an old country church".Yes there is something sublime about that .I can understand you writing a song about it .At times we realise how strange life is.It reminds me of that painting I once saw of a Victorian
gentleman helping a beautiful lady walk down some stairs.
I cannot even remember where I saw it. It could have been in the old Art gallery in Durban. They later removed all those Victorian pictures and filled the place with African arts and crafts .There was an original John Constable painting there among other important works.(from an earlier period)
So yes I would love to hear that song Rick ! Yes I did play at that musical evening , wonderfull memories. Sorry if I am rushing my ending .There seems to be a problem with me writing everything I would like here. (Tne "tight leash" I was promised)

I always enjoy hearing what you have to say, Lady Bird!

However, I probably said too much here, and was too sentimental in my ramblings. But it is only human to share our feelings and emotions, as well as our thoughts and opinions, even on an internet piano forum.

Come to think of it, discussing our pianos can be sentimental and emotional, to an extent. smile

Rick

Lady Bird #3040875 10/29/20 10:51 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L
I agree Rick ,pianos, music, memories all come together sometimes..I appreciate you sharing Rick !

I do not mean to be ......"snarky" to everyone else on the forum , it just so often seems that some pianos are just not appreciated.It is just bewildering ???

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/29/20 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Lady Bird #3040963 10/30/20 07:33 AM
Thank you very much Lady Bird for sharing this video and your history with us. Beautiful!

BTW, your bias for Sauter is perfectly understandable, and I also share it with you. It is a quite complete piano, in terms of tonal expression, power, clarity and, yet, the right amount of darkness, smoothness and depth. I feel blessed everyday for having one.

All the best smile

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
Lady Bird #3041106 10/30/20 02:40 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It sounds amazing. Those Sauters are such beautiful instruments.

Lady Bird #3041176 10/30/20 06:17 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Quite nice!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Lady Bird #3041189 10/30/20 07:13 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L

Lady Bird #3041236 10/31/20 12:47 AM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L
Its not a Sauter of course or dear old elephant would be in ecstasy ! However she is happy enough and contented too
I am sure......

Lady Bird #3041463 10/31/20 04:24 PM
D
Platinum Subscriber
Online Content
Platinum Subscriber
D
Another beautiful instrument

Lady Bird #3041564 10/31/20 09:35 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
L

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/31/20 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
DGX-660: A key in a style playing wrong...
by Kruiser_56 - 11/28/20 09:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,119
Posts3,028,319
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission