2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
33 members (doremi, D.kainoa, 1957, DigitalSpace, accordeur, bwv872, cozmopak, dhull100, 5 invisible), 483 guests, and 431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Name of place where one can order precut foam for underneath
#3040657 10/29/20 11:58 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
soundboard?

I remember hearing there is some place where they have the measurements for all standard pianos and one can order precut foam that fits between the soundboard the the beams underneath the piano?

Does anyone know the name of this business?

Thanks.

Re: Name of place where one can order precut foam for underneath
pianoloverus #3040660 10/29/20 12:10 PM

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
pianoloverus #3040673 10/29/20 12:37 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I stuffed the underside of my piano with the material they use for insulation blankets. I got a fibreglass-free version so it was comfortable to use while lying under the piano. You can pack it very densely and it fills up the spaces very well, so there are no gaps. I removed it with the intention of replacing it eventually, but I believe the version I used contains some wool (but the makers are a bit vague on this) and I don't want a mouse hotel.

pianoloverus #3040700 10/29/20 01:43 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You might want to cruise through this thread, I remember there being discussions of a couple different materials for sound reduction.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
pianoloverus #3040814 10/29/20 06:57 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Don't use the foam as undercoat. You will get a muffled sound. Better use acoustic absorber and diffuser on the floor under piano. For example, a small DIY skyline diffuser surrounded with thick acoustic foam wedges over fiberglass sheets would work.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
pianoloverus #3040850 10/29/20 08:47 PM
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
I did this with upholstery foam. I cut it with an electric knife. It was not difficult and it is held under the piano by friction.
Approved by my RPT. Cost about $40 for the foam.

I posted photos of the process. Here’s the post.
http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthr...nd-echo-acoustic-issues.html#Post2780868

I made sure to leave openings for air circulation. it works pretty well, though I am sure acoustic foam would be better.

I posted photos but I don’t know how to link to them, they’re in the photo forum, from November 2018.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
pianoloverus #3040851 10/29/20 08:56 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Robert Estrin says you can have a damper rail (like a practice pedal) for a grand .

https://youtu.be/GgyD30ibQ5A

VladK #3040943 10/30/20 06:13 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by VladK
Don't use the foam as undercoat. You will get a muffled sound. Better use acoustic absorber and diffuser on the floor under piano. For example, a small DIY skyline diffuser surrounded with thick acoustic foam wedges over fiberglass sheets would work.
Most posters and others I've talked to seem to think acoustic foam underneath the soundboard mostly only lowers the volume and doesn't affect the quality of the tone. My neighbor is next door(not below me) and I need to reduce the volume of sound going through the wall into his apartment. It doesn't sound to me like your idea would solve my problem. OTOH I have no idea what you mean when you say "Better use acoustic absorber and diffuser on the floor under piano. For example, a small DIY skyline diffuser surrounded with thick acoustic foam wedges over fiberglass sheets would work." Can you explain what you said in layman's terms?

pianoloverus #3040973 10/30/20 08:09 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Is it really just the one neighbour you have to reduce the sound for or are there other potential neighbours as well?

If it is really just the one neighbour I would be tempted to try placing sound insulation on the adjoining wall first so that, if this is sufficient, it does not kill the sound and enjoyment of the piano for yourself too much. I had a chiming clock hanging on the wall and new neighours coming in complained it kept them awake at night - just sticking a bit of 1/4" foam underlay left over from a flooring job directly behind the clock silenced it completely for them but there will be better materials. You might also want a heavy rug below the piano and some cups under the legs to minimise sound vibrations getting into the floor and reaching the neighbour via that route.

pianoloverus #3040990 10/30/20 09:07 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by VladK
Most posters and others I've talked to seem to think acoustic foam underneath the soundboard mostly only lowers the volume and doesn't affect the quality of the tone. My neighbor is next door(not below me) and I need to reduce the volume of sound going through the wall into his apartment. It doesn't sound to me like your idea would solve my problem. OTOH I have no idea what you mean when you say "Better use acoustic absorber and diffuser on the floor under piano. For example, a small DIY skyline diffuser surrounded with thick acoustic foam wedges over fiberglass sheets would work." Can you explain what you said in layman's terms?

Almost all sound generated by acoustic grand comes from opened lid (you can keep it closed to reduce the volume), and directed to the floor from underneath the piano. This is why in concert settings the platform where piano stands is frequently designed to work as big resonant board to increase the volume.
When you place sound diffuser and absorber under piano, mids and highs are partially diffused in all directions to improve reverb, and are partially absorbed to reduce the sound volume. This is why many recommend to place a thick rag under piano. You can google to find what the skyline diffuser is (you can build it youself, and make it look cool), and what is acoustic foam wedges (other types of acoustic foam also work, but it is more efficient mids/highs absorber when cut as wedges). Regarding fiberglass - it is just more effective absorver than other butt materials such as mineral wool; Owens Corning 703 is not expensive and is easy to work with (you would have to cover it with fabric to avoid health issues from fiberglass in the air), but not always easy to find.

But if your neighbor complains about basses - there is not much you can do with DIY solution, even professional bass traps either require huge space, or are not effective below 100 Hz. And they are relatively expensive. The mute rail might be the easiest solution, but I've neever seen one. Soundproofing just one wall alone will not help most likely - the sound will find its way to your neighbor through floor, ceiling, and beams, especially mids and lows. But it will reduce the volume a lot, of course.

Last edited by VladK; 10/30/20 09:15 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
pianoloverus #3040996 10/30/20 09:23 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Also, instead of insulating the existing wall, you could build a relatively lightweight shield from, say, few fiberglass panels, and place it floor to ceiling, corner to corner, few inches from your neghbor wall. This does not require approval from landlord or building inspector (but make sure you use fire rated materials to avoid troubles).

Vlad,
Adult beginner
pianoloverus #3041005 10/30/20 09:54 AM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Actually at one stage my 130 upright was near the wall I shared with my husband's study. I worried that I was disturbing him.
There is a store which sold accoustic foam and they let me take the foam home to try it behind my piano . Actually it made no difference in sound at all .
An accoustic board I later placed behind the piano made the sound "mushy "
I removed all of these and bought a nice carpet with an underfeldt. We moved the piano to a different wall and everything worked out perfectly. Also there was far better accoustics in my piano room.
I just thought I must tell you my experience with accoustic foam -- nothing happened!

Lady Bird #3041062 10/30/20 01:08 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I just thought I must tell you my experience with acoustic foam -- nothing happened!
Plenty of people have had good results with acoustic foam or even blankets/comforters. Could everyone please save any debates about its utility for a different thread.

I am interested if anyone knows places where pre cut foam can be purchased. I tried the place Steve Cohen recommended but no results from them so far.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
DGX-660: A key in a style playing wrong...
by Kruiser_56 - 11/28/20 09:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,119
Posts3,028,323
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission