2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3040294 10/28/20 12:41 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello.

So my search for the piano continues with no words from Petro IV owner - I assume they are not interested in selling at this point.
In the meantime, I found a 1979 Steinway model M on the market and am planning to go and check it out. Before doing so, I wanted to reach the experts here again to gain some insights.

The seller said the Teflon is all taken out and the soundboard was updated 10 yrs ago.
I asked for any document that lists exact jobs done at that time to understand what the issue of the soundboard could have been. The seller will try to get the details but does not seem to have it now.

So.. I am just thinking to go and feel and hear the piano for now. But is there something I should be particularly checking when I see the piano considering the age and the work done to the piano? The seller posted it at $26K without appraisal.

Thank you!

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
If you like the way the piano plays, get whatever documentation you can from the seller And then schedule an Independent tech inspection.

V
V
I'm not sure a 40-year-old Steinway M is worth $26k, Teflon or no. My inclination would be to shop around. You can probably find something better (and larger) for a similar or even lower price. Other brands can offer better value for the money in your price range.

Last edited by violarules; 10/28/20 12:54 PM.
P
P
Take anything a private seller says with a grain of salt. Most private sellers have no idea about the true condition or value of their pianos.

I suggest that you read Larry Fine's excellent Piano Book about buying a used piano; there's a detailed chapter about what to look for including a checklist. Then inspect the piano yourself. Then, if you like what you see, have your own technician inspect the piano before you make any kind of offer.

As for establishing a fair market value, you can use Larry Fine's guide How Much Is It Worth? and even use PianoBuyer's Seller Advisory Service (and it's best to have a technician's report for that).

Note, I have no relationship to Larry Fine or pianobuyer.com and am in no way compensated for recommending it. It's just an excellent resource.

Last edited by Pianosearcher; 10/28/20 02:00 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
"Soundboard is updated" is pretty nebulous, and if something was done could have involved other work being needed. For example, if you're going to just shim and refinish the soundboard, you're going to restring...and while you're doing that, maybe recap the bridges...and while you're there, maybe replace the damper felts, and possibly the pin block...and down the rabbit hole we go!

Because we don't know the scope of work done, nor how well it was done, it becomes hard to assign a value to it from across the internet.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
But all the research won’t tell you whether you will like the sound or the playing experience to even consider if you want to pay for the piano tech inspection. Why would you go through all the hassle of researching Steinway M value and depreciation if you don’t like the piano in the first place?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you all for your insights.
That is kind of what I am thinking too. So I am going to feel and hear it myself tomorrow to see if I even want to do much more thinking and researching about it.
I was a bit concerned about the soundboard update because I wasn't sure what that really means. But first and foremost, I will have to like it enough to consider anything further seriously. Thanks @Pianosearcher, for the resources you shared. I will take a look at the chapter you suggested.

And for the point of @violarules, I also have some doubts about the age of the piano and how well it could compare. I just saw a video from YouTube on why new pianos may be the way to go if I am looking for touch and action and stuff, which I have been struggling with as I have tried some used pianos.

V
V
Thinking about that price for a 1979 Steinway M...

I remember a couple of years ago I visited one of the piano shops in the area. If I mentioned this store by name, everyone would recognize it instantly as one of the top shops on the East Coast, if not the entire US. In that very store, they had a 2006 Mason AA. The thing was fantastic; voicing, regulation, everything; one of the finest pianos I laid my hands on that day and there were many top-tier instruments to choose from.

They were asking $22k with a warranty for that Mason AA.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by violarules

I remember a couple of years ago I visited one of the piano shops in the area. If I mentioned this store by name, everyone would recognize it instantly as one of the top shops on the East Coast, if not the entire US. In that very store, they had a 2006 Mason AA. The thing was fantastic; voicing, regulation, everything; one of the finest pianos I laid my hands on that day and there were many top-tier instruments to choose from.

Not sure how this is related to the price of the Steinway M
Yes, if you don’t want a Steinway, there are many good options. But if you want a Steinway, then the price of a Steinway is the only consideration. ..Steinway Pianos will not necessarily correspond to other brands. We all have different preferences and some of those preferences can be non-negotiable

V
V
Originally Posted by dogperson

Not sure how this is related to the price of the Steinway M
Yes, if you don’t want a Steinway, there are many good options. But if you want a Steinway, then the price of a Steinway is the only consideration. ..Steinway Pianos will not necessarily correspond to other brands. We all have different preferences and some of those preferences can be non-negotiable

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, only to demonstrate that it is possible to find a highly satisfying, musical piano from a reputable dealer that does not cost as much as this Steinway M from a private seller.

By all means, shop around and buy the piano you fall in love with (that checks out by a tech).

Last edited by violarules; 10/28/20 07:22 PM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Did you buy the M&H AA?

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm finding that the Mason and Hamlin AA (one of my favorites) has a serious flaw. There are not enough bolts to support the pinblock in the field. And the pinblock goes quite far in front of the pins unsupported. With the flange cast at a steep angle, the strings pull the pinblock down and cause the pins to hit the front of the hole. I was able to fix this by adding 6 more screws closer to the agraffes.
-chris

V
V
Originally Posted by j&j

Did you buy the M&H AA?

I would have if it would have been prudent financially, but we had just bought a new house, still had a car payment, etc. Life. What can I say?

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j

Did you buy the M&H AA?

I would have if it would have been prudent financially, but we had just bought a new house, still had a car payment, etc. Life. What can I say?

That’s the same thoughts that made me not buy the gorgeous Bosendorfer 214VC I tried a year ago. Oh well. It is a thrill to know there are pianos like that.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I'm finding that the Mason and Hamlin AA (one of my favorites) has a serious flaw. There are not enough bolts to support the pinblock in the field. And the pinblock goes quite far in front of the pins unsupported. With the flange cast at a steep angle, the strings pull the pinblock down and cause the pins to hit the front of the hole. I was able to fix this by adding 6 more screws closer to the agraffes.
-chris
Have you spoken with M & H about this?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Based on what I've seen, $26k for a Steinway M that has been refurbished well is not a bad deal. Yes, you can find used very nice M&H's, Baldiwn's, etc. at a better price point, but a Steinway does usually bring more money just because of the name. Just make sure it checks out!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by VladK
-chris

It was a pre- tension resonator MHAA. So i am assuming that it got recognized and fixed. Not sure though.
-chris

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
-chris

It was a pre- tension resonator MHAA. So i am assuming that it got recognized and fixed. Not sure though.
-chris

I thought M& H always had a tension resonator. Can you please clarify?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
-chris

-chris

I thought M& H always had a tension resonator. Can you please clarify?
Mason and Hamlin made pianos before the Tension resonator.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Yes, pre-1900. Resonator were used after that date. Didn’t realize you would be working on something that vintage.

Last edited by dogperson; 10/29/20 05:13 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission