2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
35 members (DaEgg, Eli26, EPW, Evgeny 85, cozmopak, Almaviva, 14 invisible), 439 guests, and 395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MIDIator App -Now available for Laptops/PC/Macs
#3039998 10/27/20 04:12 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Hi everyone, I'm happy to announce Midiator is now compatible with all computers!

Just connect your keyboard to your computer and go to:

www.midiator.app

I'm Itai from Israel, and For those who are new to MIDIator, MIDIator is a an app and a software that is designed to get 100% quality and accurance for piano lessons online.

What is MIDI?
- MIDI is a computer language for sending musical events, such as note on/off, velocity(dynamics), sustain and many more. When students' plays their keys, MIDIator streams it to the teacher's keyboard, and the keyboard plays it!
Sounds weird right? but try to imagine those keyboards from movies that plays on its own, so that is kinda similar.
One plays on his piano, and the other hears it from his piano.
That is why you get the best quality and you you can hear every detail, from piano to forte, staccato/legato, sustain etc..

Using MIDIator doesn't interfere with you video call, it's on the background, all you have to do is to go to the website(if you use a laptop) or download the app from google play here MIDIator on GOOGLE PLAY(if you use a phone). An iphone version will be published very soon.

Requirements :
- If you use a laptop, MIDIator supports only Chrome/Edge browsers.
- A USB cable to connect your keys to your computer(a USB type B to normal USB)
- If you use the phone app, you will need an adapter to the cable above so it can fit you phone.

Other great features:
- A metronome - the teacher can activate a metronome that syncs with the student's performance, or the teacher's performance.
- Latency - Since MIDIator streams faster than video calls you can use the latency slider so the performance match what you see on screen.
- Multi participants classes - One of MIDIators best features is the ability to have group classes. You can add many participants to the class, just tap the share button and share your lesson via whatsapp/eMail etc..

MIDIator is free of charge for limited time, hope you enjoy it!

Itai.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: MIDIator App -Now available for Laptops/PC/Macs
itai.street #3040014 10/27/20 05:09 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by itai.street
MIDIator is free of charge for limited time, hope you enjoy it!

Itai.

On the last:

- For how long is it free of charge.
- Will one get notified when it stops being free of charge?
- Around how much will one have to pay once it is no longer free of charge? Who pays? (only the teacher, but the students get on for free? or each participant?)

itai.street #3040139 10/28/20 02:25 AM
I
OP Offline
I
- All of the pricing questions will be answer after the beta and testing period will end, for now there is a free access to the online software, you don't need to enter any personal or payment information.

itai.street #3040213 10/28/20 09:07 AM
Well, that's certainly an uncomfortable state of affairs. You cannot even say whether the students as well as the teacher pay, or only the teacher? To test this, a teacher will have to train his students to use it and get used to it, as well as setting up. With that kind of time investment, it would be hard to switch back if everyone got used to it. One would want to know something, rather than stepping into an absolute unknown in terms of when and how much.

keystring #3040221 10/28/20 09:24 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Well, that's certainly an uncomfortable state of affairs. You cannot even say whether the students as well as the teacher pay, or only the teacher? To test this, a teacher will have to train his students to use it and get used to it, as well as setting up. With that kind of time investment, it would be hard to switch back if everyone got used to it. One would want to know something, rather than stepping into an absolute unknown in terms of when and how much.

I can’t answer for teachers, but as a student I would not sign up for the trial without knowing the final price.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
itai.street #3040325 10/28/20 12:28 PM
A
A
- All of the pricing questions will be answer after the beta and testing period will end...

This sounds too much like "making it up as we go along." No thank you. For me to feel comfortable trying out your app, you would need to have the big picture in mind, including what happens after the "limited trial period" is over, and make it all clear to your potential customers before launching your temporarily free product.

Andamento #3040338 10/28/20 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Andamento
This sounds too much like "making it up as we go along." No thank you. For me to feel comfortable trying out your app, you would need to have the big picture in mind, including what happens after the "limited trial period" is over, and make it all clear to your potential customers before launching your temporarily free product.
Andamento, in this case I am not a teacher, but the student. However I have practised the profession of teaching and am trained in it (I have a B.Ed. and experience). I am also observing how some teachers have been transitioning to / implementing on-line teaching. So I'm wondering what you think of the following scenario:

What I've seen is that when transitioning to on-line, all the former in-studio students also had to be retrained. Many of them were not that computer literate or Internet literate or both, or if young, their parents weren't. So you've got a teacher who has whatever level of computer/IT literacy, acting as a kind of "internet consultant" while guiding each and every student in glitches of setup and so on remotely. Then guiding each student on how to work within this format, while figuring it out themselves. I imagine a good month might be lost before this goes anything like smooth.

Ok, so now you add a new technology. Each student has to have or get a cable, know where and how to plug it in. Then teacher and student have to learn how to work with this - times 20 or 30 students taught individually. Each time with a risk of losing students through frustrations of a new system - they came to learn how to play piano, not how to work with technology.

Would I invest in that kind of time and effort, if I don't know for how long it will be free, roughly how much I will pay later on, whether or not my students each have to pay, and how long I have before this kicks in? Is that sort of your thinking as well? Did I capture it?

keystring #3040394 10/28/20 03:52 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by Andamento
Andamento, in this case I am not a teacher, but the student. However I have practised the profession of teaching and am trained in it (I have a B.Ed. and experience). I am also observing how some teachers have been transitioning to / implementing on-line teaching. So I'm wondering what you think of the following scenario:

What I've seen is that when transitioning to on-line, all the former in-studio students also had to be retrained. Many of them were not that computer literate or Internet literate or both, or if young, their parents weren't. So you've got a teacher who has whatever level of computer/IT literacy, acting as a kind of "internet consultant" while guiding each and every student in glitches of setup and so on remotely. Then guiding each student on how to work within this format, while figuring it out themselves. I imagine a good month might be lost before this goes anything like smooth.

Ok, so now you add a new technology. Each student has to have or get a cable, know where and how to plug it in. Then teacher and student have to learn how to work with this - times 20 or 30 students taught individually. Each time with a risk of losing students through frustrations of a new system - they came to learn how to play piano, not how to work with technology.

Would I invest in that kind of time and effort, if I don't know for how long it will be free, roughly how much I will pay later on, whether or not my students each have to pay, and how long I have before this kicks in? Is that sort of your thinking as well? Did I capture it?

Keystring, exactly. There were so many bugs to work out in the early weeks. Which students are using cell phones? tablets? I-pads? laptops? Chrome books? (Have I repeated myself? I don't know the names and functions of various devices well enough to answer that question.) Beyond a desktop computer -- on a different floor than my two pianos, mind you -- and a cell phone that is not "smart," I had no other devices. No way of doing virtual lessons until I went and bought a laptop for my first time ever. Then I had to figure that out, and learn how Zoom works, and built-in and external microphones, and positioning, and...

Reception (several of my students, and I, too, live in heavily wooded, rural areas) was another hurdle to overcome. Losing the Zoom connection was a frequent occurrence with some students, depending on where they live and what devices they have. So many variables...

It was a steep learning curve for all of us, and not something worked out in the first five minutes of the first lesson, and then we were good to go.

Would I invest in that kind of time and effort, if I don't know for how long it will be free, roughly how much I will pay later on, whether or not my students each have to pay, and how long I have before this kicks in?

This question is spot-on, and the answer, for me, is no. The OP needs to show me what is involved in using the product long-term!

itai.street #3040493 10/29/20 12:23 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
I think the idea is intriguing.

One beauty of MIDI is that it's _very_ compact, since it transmits keystroke information, not audio. So MIDI transmission will work over lower-quality Internet connections, and (with luck) it'll have less latency than audio-over-Zoom.

You're looking at alpha-test software, newly developed:

. . . Cut the OP some slack.<g>

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
itai.street #3040494 10/29/20 12:24 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C

One beauty of MIDI is that it's _very_ compact, since it transmits keystroke information, not audio. So MIDI transmission will work over lower-quality Internet connections, and (with luck) it'll have less latency than audio-over-Zoom.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Charles Cohen #3040499 10/29/20 01:28 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

Charles
This is not beta software that can be tested by only one person but must be tried by a teacher and one or more students with the idea of possible implementation. Would you want to use lesson time to try a program that might be prohibitively priced after the trial period? You might want to reread Andamento’s post to get a teacher’s perspective

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Charles Cohen #3040505 10/29/20 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

Charles, the OP had another thread about this a few weeks ago, and I responded in a favourable and interested manner then. At the time, the OP was not aware that most teachers use computers/laptops rather than phones so that was the first hitch. I think he's used to work with a different group of people (I looked up MIDIator when it first came up), so there's a mutual learning curve.

I was interested in it precisely for the reasons you said. The midi information goes straight to the other person's dp "as is", instead of being sound that gets converted through all the malarky that Zoom etc. puts in. But if a teacher has say 30 students during the week, one after the other, then it can get complicated.

In the original thread, I asked extra information like whether a cable needed to be connected, and from where to where. That information was eked out. I think there's even a pic of the doohickey plug thing on my own piano. I'd have to buy the right cable, and learn how to connect it between two devices. So would every student and teacher hooking up to this. The idea of sound being sent without distortion was a tempting one. (Assuming both teacher & students have digital pianos).

itai.street #3040896 10/30/20 01:33 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you all for commenting smile

Charles, you are absolutely right, and it works amazing. I'm a piano teacher myself, and using it made my teaching experience way more productive, professional and fun.

About all the other question regarding tech stuff - well, i get it that some people are a bit strangers to dealing with new software, but i can assure you that with MIDIator it basically runs automatically once you plug in your keyboard.
You can go to our contact tab, send us an email to ask anything you a have difficulties with.

itai.street #3041004 10/30/20 09:52 AM
A
A
About all the other question regarding tech stuff - well, i get it that some people are a bit strangers to dealing with new software, but i can assure you that with MIDIator it basically runs automatically once you plug in your keyboard.

But can you assure us about the price of all this after the free trial is over, and tell us ahead of time when the free trial will end? Those are not tech questions, and you are conveniently ignoring them.

Unless I'm missing something -- do you have a paid advertisement somewhere here at Piano World? -- your post is looking more and more like an attempt at free, self-advertising on PW. If so, that is against forum policy. (At the link, scroll down to the red, all-caps heading SELF ADVERTISING IS NOT ALLOWED!)

itai.street #3041417 10/31/20 02:19 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Hi Andamento, i'm not conveniently ignoring anything, i already gave an answer so i found no point repeating it but i will repeat it -
MIDIator is software in it's early days, we are testing it and we look forward to receive feedback on it so we can improve it. We wanted to get it out fast as possible because these are difficult times to teach piano remotely, and since it's still in testing we can't address pricing at the moment.
Some people here like Dogperson wrote he won't signed in for anything he wouldn't know the final price and i respect it, I suppose being a tester is not for everyone, and probably not for you as well. That's ok.

On the other manner you specified, since again at these stage i just wanted people to try it out and see if it could help them so i posted the thread here. I think people could really benefit from it. If it violates the forum policy i'll remove it, but if i wouldn't post it here, some people who had some really important questions about technical stuff, or about the concept of midi, or the understanding of what is audio streaming quality vs midi streaming were left without an answer.

itai.street #3041514 10/31/20 05:58 PM
A
A
Hi itai.street,

Thanks for your reply. You know what (about that "you are conveniently ignoring" part that I wrote)? I tried changing the wording of that phrase after I'd posted, but I ran out of editing time. I literally missed the deadline by seconds to change that! You are right that you had already said you hadn't determined the pricing.

But why is it that you haven't answered some of the other questions quoted below (of keystring's), like when the free trial will end and will customers be notified ahead of time before it slips into no-longer-free status? Those are the ones you seem to be ignoring, but they are highly relevant to many potential buyers. You seem to want to tell us about all the wonderful technical aspects of using your product (that is why it sounds like a sales pitch) without answering questions about timing and notification of a change in the product's free status, and who pays for it.

Why aren't you answering those questions?

- For how long is it free of charge.
- Will one get notified when it stops being free of charge?
- Around how much will one have to pay once it is no longer free of charge? Who pays? (only the teacher, but the students get on for free? or each participant?)

Last edited by Andamento; 10/31/20 06:01 PM.
itai.street #3041637 11/01/20 04:41 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Hi Andamento,

All questions leads to the same answer: It's too early to tell.
For how long it is free? if we have many issues than it could take weeks/months .
- we can't notify because we don't keep your information, MIDIator doesn't require a login at these stage.
- We can't commit to any price, and also for who to pay(we are not even sure if we will charge anything) For now, like all big apps on early stages (Facebook, google, whatsapp, many online newsletters etc..) that didn't decide on business model till years after. it's best to see first how helpful is it, what's the bugs and how is the apps performance.
As i mentioned before, if one feels that the learning curve is too much for him/her, than he better wait for the beta period to be over, and than we will release all there is to know.
Usually alpha or beta versions are for curious users, and in our case
it's for people who want to explore and test new modern ways to conduct a piano lesson.

I'm sorry i can't give you or keystring a more satisfying answer, but if i can be honest for a moment, i feel this is not the issue, the issue should have been you giving a good or a bad review on the app, and only later on a good or a bad review on the pricing. But again, i understand some people don't wont try something before they have all the information they need, beta softwares are not for those people.

itai.street #3041674 11/01/20 07:22 AM
Had I had the information I was asking for, I might have been able to pass this on to my teacher, rather than giving him a bunch of unknowns. I can only go by what I know: usually what I see for this kind of thing is that the primary user (teacher) pays a fee for an app if there is a fee, and the students don't. That seems to be the standard and the only thing that makes sense. If you do go to a fee later, that's what I'd expect to see.

Meanwhile: I run a business as a "solopreneur". You don't seem to be able to put yourself much in your target customers' shoes, tbh. Again I think you're used to dealing with a different group, that is well at home with technology - and probably work independently rather than a teacher who has to guide students and their parents.

You wrote this earlier:
... but i can assure you that with MIDIator it basically runs automatically once you plug in your keyboard.

You are missing that the hard part is everything that leads up to and includes the "plug in your keyboard". I went to your site again. There is no information. You'll get a better response, I'm sure, if you have, for example, a PDF with illustration showing everything. We have:

- a keyboard that has some kind of port for plugging in some kind of cable. They'll have to know what and where that typically is.
- some kind of cable, that has two ends that look like (whatever) and is called (whatever)
- which plugs into the computer via a USB cable - that part will be familiar to everyone
- a software from you that needs to be downloaded

- both teacher and each student using it will need to do this.

- if the teacher slides for latency, does s/he know how to do that. Is it described?

You don't want every single person to have to contact you by e-mail with problems. And if a teacher is working with students, he can't start figuring it out during a lesson. He needs to have enough info to begin with.

You are addressing a target group that may not even taught virtually until a few weeks ago; why may be largely unfamiliar with the Internet and anything more about computers than e-mails and looking up stuff. You are not very reassuring.

the issue should have been you giving a good or a bad review on the app, and only later on a good or a bad review on the pricing.

This is not reassuring either. I would expect that if you are doing beta testing, that the issue is that of working out bugs, bringing it more in line with purpose of the user --- and not about getting reviews. In fact, the conversations here are part of that beta testing already. There are difficulties you have not thought of, that are coming out, such as what I have outlined.

itai.street #3042202 11/02/20 09:49 PM
What if the teacher has an acoustic piano?

What if the student has an acoustic piano?

Yay, that's great! (except for modern stuff like this)

I's sticking with Zoom and my three camera set-up.

Learning as I teach.
keystring #3042288 11/03/20 09:07 AM
Doesn't it make sense to at least tell people:

- What port to use on the piano - what it's called, and what it looks like? (Ok, I got that part, when I sent the pic in your other thread)
- What kind of cable one must buy?

Sure, it might "play by itself" once you have it set up. But how does one set it up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,338
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission