2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
71 members (David Boyce, Bill McKaig,RPT, Alex_Ki, accordeur, DaEgg, dhull100, David B, bsntn99, Burkey, 16 invisible), 565 guests, and 496 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mute rail and other quieting methods
#3039850 10/27/20 09:40 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
As I mentioned in another thread my neighbor has begun to complain to me about hearing my piano. I have been playing a grand for 20 years in the same room in my apartment and a vertical for 20 years before that and have only gotten three or four complaints but my neighbor is very upset. I only want to get a hybrid as a last resort since I love playing my M&H BB.

Does anyone have experience with mute rails? I listened to a demonstration of one online and it seemed to quiet the piano to an extreme where there wasn't much tone left. Can the volume when using the mute rail be adjusted at all? Does it basically insert something between the hammers and strings to mute the sound? Thanks.

Re: Mute rail and other quieting methods
pianoloverus #3039919 10/27/20 12:07 PM
J
Online Embarrased
J
My new(ish) upright has one. I thought it would be nice to play quieter sometimes and not bother my husband. But...it's horrible. It's just a strip of felt that drops down between the hammers and the strings. It makes the piano sound SO bad. I find it completely unusable and haven't bothered with it since the first week. Maybe a thinner cloth would mute the sound without changing it so much...this is my only experience with it so far so I'm not sure if there are better options.

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
pianoloverus #3039940 10/27/20 01:06 PM
B
B
Isn't the mute rail just like using the 'practice pedal' on an upright? (Or the 'soft pedal' on cheap verticals, like the one I learnt on as a kid.)

Once engaged, all you get are dull thuds and something resembling a distant muffled piano sound. OK for learning the notes (assuming you can discern the actual pitch of each note) but useless for anything else.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
pianoloverus #3039952 10/27/20 01:35 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I have a practice pedal. It is horrible. It sounds horrible and it feels horrible. It is practically useless for me unfortunately. I'd really rather not practice.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 10/27/20 01:35 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
pianoloverus #3039967 10/27/20 02:23 PM
J
Online Embarrased
J
Yes they call it a practice pedal. I think 'pointless pedal'...or 'pathetic pedal' is more appropriate.

Your description is spot-on bennevis. Dull thuds...distant muffled sound...even tinny somehow, as I recall. In short: it's gross.

And to think - when I was piano shopping, I thought the practice pedal was actually a positive 'feature.' Sigh. Sometimes I do regret not spending a little more and getting a piano with the sostenuto instead.

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
pianoloverus #3039981 10/27/20 03:16 PM
R
R
I'm generally surprised at the amount of people that would expect the practice pedal to still sound and feel good. It's really just for muted practice.

For the most part, I would still consider a mute rail more useful than a sostenuto pedal. I've never had cases where a sostenuto pedal would have been required. On the other hand, there's been countless late nights where I wanted to get a bit of short practice in and not disturb my sleeping wife, and in those cases, a mute pedal/rail is invaluable.

As to the original question though, it's definitely not for regular use. The sound is not good to say the least, the touch is slightly affected, and dynamic control is diminished and inconsistent. Pretty much everything that makes playing an acoustic piano enjoyable is negatively affected.

rkzhao #3039985 10/27/20 03:25 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by rkzhao
As to the original question though, it's definitely not for regular use. The sound is not good to say the least, the touch is slightly affected, and dynamic control is diminished and inconsistent. Pretty much everything that makes playing an acoustic piano enjoyable is negatively affected.
Why is the touch affected? Doesn't the mute rail just insert a piece of fabric between the hammers and strings?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/27/20 03:26 PM.
pianoloverus #3039986 10/27/20 03:27 PM
R
R
I can feel the felt slightly when the hammer hits the string. It's not a significant effect but it can be noticeable.

Then again, it could just be in my head from the change in audio feedback.

Last edited by rkzhao; 10/27/20 03:29 PM.
pianoloverus #3039989 10/27/20 03:47 PM
W
W
It's really muffled. It's only for learning the notes.

Previously when I lived in an apartment and practiced the violin, I worked out a deal with my neighbor that I would only practice 3pm-5pm. During that time I can let it rip without a care. At other times they won't hear a peep. It was good for my progress too. Because of the restriction, I really did practice a full 2 hours every day and was focused during the precious time.

rkzhao #3040030 10/27/20 06:03 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rkzhao
I can feel the felt slightly when the hammer hits the string. It's not a significant effect but it can be noticeable.

Then again, it could just be in my head from the change in audio feedback.

I remembering feeling like it impacted the touch as well.

Doesn't it make sense that it would feel like the touch is impacted, though? Because the felt shortens the distance that the hammer travels, however so slightly.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3040059 10/27/20 07:35 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Doesn't it make sense that it would feel like the touch is impacted, though? Because the felt shortens the distance that the hammer travels, however so slightly.
Since the hammer is in free flight before it hits the string I don't think shortening that distance would affect the feel.

pianoloverus #3040066 10/27/20 07:59 PM
R
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Since the hammer is in free flight before it hits the string I don't think shortening that distance would affect the feel.

Logically, I'm thinking the same, but I swear it feels like the action is just less crisp. I wonder if striking the felt instead of the string is affect how the hammer bounces back which then affects the feel of the key at the bottom of the key press.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
FP-90 a few months later - thoughts
by personne - 12/04/20 05:07 PM
Roland Lx 706 + Pianoteq
by OldSoul - 12/04/20 05:03 PM
Ivan Vladusic music?
by KrisR - 12/04/20 05:02 PM
Playing VST through DP speakers without aux in
by Alhena - 12/04/20 04:58 PM
Schimmel K 132
by Lady Bird - 12/04/20 04:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,265
Posts3,030,583
Members99,480
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission