2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
79 members (36251, Abdol, Bill McKaig,RPT, Blague, almo82, aostensv, 20 invisible), 505 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mute rail and other quieting methods
#3039848 10/27/20 09:39 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
As I mentioned in another thread my neighbor has begun to complain to me about hearing my piano. I have been playing a grand for 20 years in the same room in my apartment and a vertical for 20 years before that and have only gotten three or four complaints but my neighbor is very upset. I only want to get a hybrid as a last resort since I love playing my M&H BB.

Does anyone have experience with mute rails? I listened to a demonstration of one online and it seemed to quiet the piano to an extreme where there wasn't much tone left. Can the volume when using the mute rail be adjusted at all? Does it basically insert something between the hammers and strings to mute the sound? Thanks.

Re: Mute rail and other quieting methods
pianoloverus #3039914 10/27/20 11:54 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I only know about mute rails for uprights, in which it is indeed a strip of felt that gets inserted between the hammers and strings.

I absolutely HATED playing with the mute rail, and on my Petrof, I just removed it completely (I think I removed it from my Yamaha U1 as well, but that was much longer ago)

Anyway, I can't imagine that you would like playing with it in place even for a nanosecond... And I hat to say it, but you might be better off with a hybrid or digital etc.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this! frown

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
pianoloverus #3039951 10/27/20 01:35 PM
G
Online Content
G
I play my upright about as often with the mute rail as I play it without. I like the tone that I get when the rail is engaged, and I also feel that it is worth more than a silent system. I guess it depends a bit on what you play - something percussive and fast is probably not as suitable as something romantic. I guess you will need to try it out.

Edit: You cannot really adjust the volume. You can exchange the felt against something thicker or lighter though. That will lead to more or less volume, but not on the fly.

Last edited by Gretel; 10/27/20 01:36 PM.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
pianoloverus #3040015 10/27/20 05:17 PM
Perhaps you're coming at this from the wrong perspective. Play a Kawai Novus 10 and the equivalent Yamaha.

I've had fine players try out the Novus and come away very pleased.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Gretel #3040204 10/28/20 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Gretel
I play my upright about as often with the mute rail as I play it without. I like the tone that I get when the rail is engaged, and I also feel that it is worth more than a silent system. I guess it depends a bit on what you play - something percussive and fast is probably not as suitable as something romantic. I guess you will need to try it out.

Edit: You cannot really adjust the volume. You can exchange the felt against something thicker or lighter though. That will lead to more or less volume, but not on the fly.

+ 1 in my upright with a mute rail (celeste pedal) especially for exercises, scales, harpeggios, etc. It spares the ears when working for long periods, then I can get musical on the grand. But of course, sometimes I play the upright without the rail, for it sounds gorgeous, only extravoluminous...

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
pianoloverus #3040290 10/28/20 11:28 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Maybe this thread could be of some use to you:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2943782/1.html

-edit-

I just realised you posted something in that thread, so you already know about it. I still left my reply in case you forgot about it.

pianoloverus #3040460 10/28/20 08:55 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
As I mentioned in another thread my neighbor has begun to complain to me about hearing my piano. I have been playing a grand for 20 years in the same room in my apartment and a vertical for 20 years before that and have only gotten three or four complaints but my neighbor is very upset. I only want to get a hybrid as a last resort since I love playing my M&H BB.

Does anyone have experience with mute rails? I listened to a demonstration of one online and it seemed to quiet the piano to an extreme where there wasn't much tone left. Can the volume when using the mute rail be adjusted at all? Does it basically insert something between the hammers and strings to mute the sound? Thanks.

As others have said, it's very common on uprights because it's easy to have a piece of felt in-and-out between strings and hammers. Much rarer in grands, even though I've seen an advertising for that recently (IIRC it was by QRS, but I would not bet it).

As others have said, some love it, some hate it. I am not sure anybody has tried BOTH a felt mute and a digital hybrid. I have. I used to have an upright with handmade felt mute, and I have a Yamaha NU1 now (in addition to a Golden Era grand). I liked the felt mute much more, even though it did change both the tone and the touch of the piano, and that piano was a beaten up, old upright.

I think you should ask to the piano technician or to the myptg.org forum, more than here, since it's more of a specialized thing that only a technician with lots of experience under their belt will have seen.

Other options: I suggest you consider a rug under the piano, a blanket inside the cabinet, on the strings (which will double down as a protection!) and something underneath. I suspect you will like that better. In my opinion, the sound of a digital instrument, even top of the line is so inferior to "the real thing" to leave you disappointed. Another option would be to trade down for a smaller instrument, the BB is arguably too big for a house, and you have it in an apartment....
Also see https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/ten-ways-to-voice-a-room/ and https://www.pianobuyer.com/faqs/how-can-i-lower-the-volume-of-my-piano/ -- Consider soundproofing the room. Talk to your technician, your piano store, people who have recording studios in your area...
I mean, with the money that you'd spend on an N1x or similar, you can be much more satisfied looking at other options, given that you have such a wonderful instrument already!!! (I wish I could afford that myself)

Del Vento #3040568 10/29/20 08:09 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Del Vento
I used to have an upright with handmade felt mute, and I have a Yamaha NU1 now (in addition to a Golden Era grand). I liked the felt mute much more, even though it did change both the tone and the touch of the piano, and that piano was a beaten up, old upright.

Wait, do you mean you liked the upright with felt mute better than playing on the Yamaha NU1?? Wow, that surprises me!

Is your preference for the felt mute due to the touch or the sound?

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
pianoloverus #3040569 10/29/20 08:17 AM
H
H
If you're interested in soundproofing your apartment, you might want to visit the soundproof cow.
they have many soundproofing options.

You can conquer the world with rhythm and beautiful tones.
---Leschetizky
ShiroKuro #3040580 10/29/20 08:58 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by Del Vento
I used to have an upright with handmade felt mute, and I have a Yamaha NU1 now (in addition to a Golden Era grand). I liked the felt mute much more, even though it did change both the tone and the touch of the piano, and that piano was a beaten up, old upright.

Wait, do you mean you liked the upright with felt mute better than playing on the Yamaha NU1?? Wow, that surprises me!

Is your preference for the felt mute due to the touch or the sound?

I'm purely talking about sound here, sorry for not making it clear. The touch of that piano was just ok and it was made even worse by the mute felt (because of the effectively decreased distance of the hammers from the strings). FWIW, that piano also had that pedal that moved all the hammers close to the strings, but that did not lower the volume sufficiently and made the touch so weird, with all that added lost motion... The touch of the NU1 is excellent in comparison to that instrument and in comparison to many pianos I tried. For example, touch on the NU1 is beautifully uniform from note to note, something that many acoustic struggle with (I know, it can be regulated, but often it's not).
That upright piano had many other problems (e.g. the dampers did not damp correctly) but focusing only on how it sounded it was much better than any digital I ever tried IN PERSON.
Funny thing is, hearing a recording of an acoustic vs a recording of a good digital, sometimes I like the digital better. But in person, I have never heard a digital that sounded better than any even just a barely decent acoustic. Despite trying hard to understand why I think so, I've not been able to understand it, and I've now just accepted it.

pianoloverus #3040601 10/29/20 09:40 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Del Vento, thanks for those comments. Re recording, I know what you mean about often digitals sounding better in recording (sometimes I think recordings really magnify any flaw or tuning issue in an acoustic). But I agree, I love the sound of acoustics in real life, even when they're not perfectly in tune. An acoustic is like a living breathing animal, while a digital often just sounds sterile in its "too perfectness."

Despite trying hard to understand why I think so, I've not been able to understand it, and I've now just accepted it.

Life's like that isn't it! grin

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KAWAI NOVUS NV5 KEY ACTION PROBLEMS
by ilsanto1978 - 11/23/20 08:04 AM
KAWAI NOVUS NV5 KEY ACTION PROBLEMS
by ilsanto1978 - 11/23/20 06:41 AM
What's wrong with this picture?
by kpembrook - 11/23/20 01:40 AM
Would you ever buy a new piano"blind"
by Lady Bird - 11/23/20 12:44 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,987
Posts3,026,184
Members99,338
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission