2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
83 members (aphexdisklavier, adoser, accordeur, anotherscott, Beowulf, 8ude, 21 invisible), 610 guests, and 450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 169 of 176 1 2 167 168 169 170 171 175 176
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On
mwf #3037541 10/19/20 08:18 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by mwf
How fast is the action on the N1X can someone please describe the action in more detail?

I like to play advanced classical repertoire including chopin etudes etc.. How does the N1X handle repeated notes and trills and fast passages? I currently own ca99, it plays well, repeated notes are pretty decent. I've tried the NV10 and the action was simply amazing, the speed at which I could repeat the same key was the fastest I've ever experienced, it was effortless to play on. Pieces like la campanella and hungarian rhapsody no. 2 really test the actions. I don't want the NV10 though as I prefer the yamaha samples, just I won't be investing in a N1X if the action is slower and more difficult to play on than say my ca99 or yamaha clp685.. I've not heard much on the action of the N1X.

The dealer where i may buy from states the N1X has the same action as the GB1K grand... I've no idea how good that is, but i believe that's not a concert grand action like the Millennium III on the nv10, the GB1K is merely a baby grand piano, probably an entry level model, which costs about £8000.

Hi there. The N1X action isn't as fast and bouncy as the NV10. Nevertheless one can play repeated notes easily and more consistent that with other digital pianos. Bare in mind that even concert pianist have muted notes when playing repeated notes, it's almost only when you listen studio recordings that they put the effort ( or tricking) in playing all the notes. Unless you mighty Martha Argerich.

I find it very responding but it needs loosen up or hire an authorised Yamaha technician to tweak it at your taste. Which I might be doing since I fell that when I hit F or FF notes and want to repeat it right after, the jack can't scape fast enough. Say the begging of "Après un lecture de dante" by Liszt.

At the end of the day, is all about trying it, and trying it haaaard. I'm having sound issues that I didn't hear in the several hours I tried it before buying and a couple technicians will be send to see if it's my unit or just my over annoying ears.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Alexander Acosta; 10/19/20 08:19 PM.
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
MacMacMac #3037542 10/19/20 08:25 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I think you've put it rather mildly, eh?
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I fear someone is trying to set up recurring revenue stream by hawking an unneeded service...
It's quite possible that a piano would need more frequent regulation ... if heavily used.
But a home piano with modest use could easily go for a decade without such need.
I can't see a need for service at three to five years.

I dare to refute you all arguments. If we're talking hobby, one or two hours a day, easy to intermediate programs, yeah, no need.

In my case, and I believe some others too. I'm embarking into a serious piano studies to try and catch up with my young self bad decisions and be the pianist I want to be. I believe that if one do serious piano studies will need an instrument that won't play the enemy. You need it at its full potential so you can achieve yours too.

Of course I won't be calling the technician before I feel is worth it, but I know it won't be past 5 years, not even past 3. I have also the big up's and downs in humidity levels of this Canada region that doesn't help. Plus I'm a perfectionist maniac. But ain't we all? Say it was free, wouldn't you keep it perfectly regulated every year? At the end is all about $$$

Alexander Acosta #3037549 10/19/20 09:10 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Alexander Acosta
In my case, and I believe some others too. I'm embarking into a serious piano studies to try and catch up with my young self bad decisions and be the pianist I want to be. I believe that if one do serious piano studies will need an instrument that won't play the enemy. You need it at its full potential so you can achieve yours too.

Well, I definitely defer to your specific situation and ambitions. If you play enough (or are sensitive enough) to require regulation every three years, or more, then so be it. I was really responding to the implication that as a general matter hybrid owners should expect to require regulation literally every two years...which may certainly be the case for a few, but that's quite the extreme end of the bell curve.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
David B #3037554 10/19/20 09:22 PM
Online Sleepy
Anyone has any idea which Bösendorfer grand did they sample for voice 4 of the N1X?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
Gombessa #3037615 10/20/20 03:56 AM
B
B
I was really responding to the implication that as a general matter hybrid owners should expect to require regulation literally every two years...which may certainly be the case for a few, but that's quite the extreme end of the bell curve.

Is it not the Gauss curve ?

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
Gombessa #3037620 10/20/20 04:31 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It had better be the extreme end of the curve. I'd hate to think that these pianos are so poorly made that they might require regulation after so short a period of service.
If you play enough (or are sensitive enough) to require regulation every three years, or more, then so be it.
I was really responding to the implication that as a general matter hybrid owners should expect to require regulation literally every two years ...
which may certainly be the case for a few, but that's quite the extreme end of the bell curve.

Beowulf #3037700 10/20/20 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Anyone has any idea which Bösendorfer grand did they sample for voice 4 of the N1X?

I emailed Yamaha UK and asked this very question and was told it too was the Imperial.

Yamaha N1X
OldTinho #3037742 10/20/20 12:32 PM
Online Sleepy
Originally Posted by OldTinho
I emailed Yamaha UK and asked this very question and was told it too was the Imperial.
Oh, thanks for confirming! I suspected it was one of the larger grands since it has such a deep bass.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
David B #3039516 10/26/20 12:22 PM
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Does the avantgrand n1x need anything other than regulation? Like does humidity effect parts inside etc..

Who do you contact to have it regulated after warranty expires? Yamaha? And how much does it cost approx?

Also does the action have long pivot keys like the ca99? Are they shorter key sticks and shorter pivot point/folded action on the n1x?

Thanks

David B #3039567 10/26/20 02:32 PM
E
E
Please advice, the situation is this, I was planning to update the digital piano, I considered such models as Kawai CA 79\99 and Yamaha CLP 775\785 models, but suddenly there was an opportunity to buy a Yamaha N1 instrument in about the same price range(4000EUR).
Do you agree that this is good deal? I mainly use VST instruments and to add external monitors. how different will the action be? Lighter or heavier than not hybrid digital pianos?
Thanks.

Last edited by Evgeny 85; 10/26/20 02:34 PM.

Yamaha CLP-240, VSL Steinway D-274(Full), Zoom-UAC2, ILoud Micro Monitors
Evgeny 85 #3039573 10/26/20 02:42 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Evgeny 85
Please advice, the situation is this, I was planning to update the digital piano, I considered such models as Kawai CA 79\99 and Yamaha CLP 775\785 models, but suddenly there was an opportunity to buy a Yamaha N1 instrument in about the same price range(4000EUR).
Do you agree that this is good deal? I mainly use VST instruments and to add external monitors. how different will the action be? Lighter or heavier than not hybrid digital pianos?
Thanks.

If you mainly use external VST and speakers, the N1 is the best instrument among the ones you mentioned, if price is very close among all of them. The action will be identical to a grand piano, as opposed to (very good) "simulated" action of the other instruments you are considering.

The only concern you might have is about warranty, since I assume the N1 is second hand. I personally prefer taking that risk (after carefully testing the instrument under all aspects: every single key, MIDI connectors, etc) but I understand why some people may prefer brand new.

Evgeny 85 #3039574 10/26/20 02:42 PM
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Not sure, you need to try one out.

Anyone know how a vst like garritan sounds through N1X speaker system?

mwf #3039828 10/27/20 08:39 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by mwf
Not sure, you need to try one out.

Anyone know how a vst like garritan sounds through N1X speaker system?

I recently started using Garritan (mainly through headphones) but on the rare occasions I use the speaker system, it sounds great. However, I must say, I don't find the difference as dramatic as through headphones (especially the bass of the internal CFX which IMO sounds much better when using the speakers).

Regarding the action, I am also very curious about how to get it regulated. A while ago, my teacher took me to a piano store to try some Yamaha grands. It was my first time trying the Yamaha action and I really liked it overall (I tried the CFX/5/3 and even a GB1K). However, I have been struggling a bit with my N1X. It's slowly getting better and I know some of is due to technique, but when I tried the N1X demonstration unit in store I felt the action was significantly "smoother" and lighter than mine. I really wonder if regulating the action might improve this perception. I would also say that the action on mine feels a fair bit heavier than the CFX/5/3 I tried.

Anyways, this is my first recording using the N1X and Garritan combo (through the computer)

David B #3039831 10/27/20 08:48 AM
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
^ Sounds very nice and beautifully played! smile

As to using N1 (versus N1X) to control VST-s. There's no USB-audio interface in the N1 which means the only way to send audio from the computer to the piano's speakers is with audio cables into the line-in jacks, however some of the older AvantGrand pianos would cut audio signal below a certain level and that would cut the quiet sustain portions of some notes. I think some of those AG-pianos (maybe N1 was one of them?) would have an option to switch off this noise-floor cut on audio-in though. If you intend to use the piano with VST-s that you will play through the piano speakers, you have to check this for sure in order to avoid any unpleasant surprise.

Last edited by CyberGene; 10/27/20 08:49 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
srslysupersonic #3039835 10/27/20 08:55 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by srslysupersonic
However, I have been struggling a bit with my N1X. It's slowly getting better and I know some of is due to technique, but when I tried the N1X demonstration unit in store I felt the action was significantly "smoother" and lighter than mine. I really wonder if regulating the action might improve this perception. I would also say that the action on mine feels a fair bit heavier than the CFX/5/3 I tried.

Anyways, this is my first recording using the N1X and Garritan combo (through the computer)

Hi, nice playing! A regulation might be what you want, but the difference in feel has probably more to do with you playing acoustic grands just before playing the N1X in the store, which most certainly might make the N1x feel a bit lighter. The acoustic also has a lot to do with the feel of the action. Did you try the N1x in the store with the same headphones as you're using at home?

Last edited by johanibraaten; 10/27/20 08:55 AM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
David B #3039843 10/27/20 09:22 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
I wonder what it is that the ‘acoustic-only’ crowd is asking for?

I strongly recommend that y’all start getting rid of your acoustics now or risk being stuck with an unsellable relic in a few years’ time!

The acoustic (piano) had its run, but now it’s almost time for it to join the harpsichord and the piano forte in the museum of ancient relics. Once again, get rid of them while you can.

I, too, was nostalgic and romantic about my beloved acoustic-typewriter and like many, ignored the signs:

“Nothing feels better than physically setting word to page and quaintly correcting my mistakes with a liquid both dense and fluid; nothing will ever give me the connection I feel upon every stroke as it lands on the page and echoes through my soul. Screw the word processor”!

I ended up stuck with a very expensive (hand made) typewriter and swore never again to go against the grain of a thing called change!

It is almost time for a paradigm shift; are you in or are you out? grin

johanibraaten #3039847 10/27/20 09:38 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
The acoustic also has a lot to do with the feel of the action. Did you try the N1x in the store with the same headphones as you're using at home?
I mean the acoustics in the room, sorry for not being clear...

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
David B #3039853 10/27/20 09:48 AM
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Pete, I was wondering why you had to generate those posts in our arch enemy's thread to bump it but now everything is in its right place (by Radiohead). BTW, not related to anything, just to share a discovery I made today, a thai character: ᪢

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Pete14 #3039875 10/27/20 10:20 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhhh ...
Originally Posted by Pete14
I strongly recommend that y’all start getting rid of your acoustics now or risk being stuck with an unsellable relic in a few years’ time!
The acoustic (piano) had its run, but now it’s almost time for it to join the harpsichord and the piano forte in the museum of ancient relics. Once again, get rid of them while you can.
Not really relevant.

1. Used acoustics sell for next to nothing. Selling now won't bring more money than selling later. Unless you own a good-name grand, there's just not much money in them. Neither sooner nor later.

2. We'll all be ancient relics someday. It's unavoidable. Live with it.

3. Why am I responding to a joke? smile

johanibraaten #3039890 10/27/20 10:44 AM
S
S
The acoustic also has a lot to do with the feel of the action. Did you try the N1x in the store with the same headphones as you're using at home?
I mean the acoustics in the room, sorry for not being clear...

Hi johanibraaten. I was also not very clear. I actually tried the N1X a few months before. At that time I had never played a hybrid and I remember quite vividly that the action felt light and super smooth during the entire keystroke. I also tried the NU1X in store and I thought it was a tad heavier and not as smooth.

I eventually bought the N1X and at the same time I also started playing regularly on my teacher's Kawai (a concert grand). When the N1X arrived, I felt the action was not nearly as smooth as the demonstration unit. Also, the fallboard was poorly assembled and would constantly fall off while opening/closing which made me think that my unit might have some QC issues.

A few months later my teacher took me to try those Yamahas (different store) and at first I was really surprised because I had never tried such a light keyboard action. It took me some time to adjust, but I ended up really liking that light "Yamaha feeling". Funny enough, the CFX felt the lightest of the bunch while the GB1K was noticeably "clunkier" and heavier, but still much lighter than my N1X or my teacher's Kawai (which has a super action btw).

Since then I haven't played another N1X besides mine, but once the pandemic is over I plan on going back to the N1X store (quite a long trip) and have another go at the demonstration unit to confirm it is indeed lighter and smoother. If regulating the action can bring back some of that feeling to my own N1X I'd be very happy because it's something that has been bugging me a little since I got it and it's frustrating because I really loved playing the demonstration unit...

Page 169 of 176 1 2 167 168 169 170 171 175 176

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Something cheerful, please!
by gooddog - 12/02/20 01:53 PM
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
My take on upright recording at home
by Keybender - 12/02/20 12:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,213
Posts3,029,683
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission