2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by mrroland
Originally Posted by FloRi89
Originally Posted by mrroland
Originally Posted by FloRi89
Wait, I like coffee & tea and also Pianoteq, so where do I stand now?
You don't happen to secretly use sampled vst's too...?

Damn you got me, I also use Ravenscroft 275 laugh

Me too grin grin grin

Quite handy, Piano and synth on a ipod.
Still hoping for Pianoteq on ios.

With how powerful Apples chip is getting it probably will come out when Pianoteq 7 is released'

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
Originally Posted by Fleer
Bechstein Digital, Blüthner, Grotrian or Steingraeber on Dynaudio Contour 3.3 speakers. There, I said it.

I played a real Bluthner* (at the LA Bluthner store; this particular one has a rich history of famous players playing it; everyone from Rachmaninoff to Stevie Wonder).

It sounded EXACTLY the same as the Pianotec model.....

*no clue how to get the 2 dots above the u.....
alt key then 0252 gives ü
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
O
O
The best sound I could get out of Pianoteq was from my hard drive when I uninstalled it.

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by OU812
The best sound I could get out of Pianoteq was from my hard drive when I uninstalled it.
Perhaps it would have run better on an SSD?!

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E

Ouch

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That was exactly my experience, too.
The uninstalled Pianoteq produces a silence that perfectly mimics that of the world's finest grand pianos. smile

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I can actually kind of relate to this thread, since I have this strange situation.

All my sampled vst's sound great on my headphones, but not so great on my speakers. With pianoteq it's the exact opposite. I hate it on my headphones, but it sounds quite good on my speakers, dare I say better than my sampled vst's.

Listening to music sounds great on my speakers, pianoteq sounds great on them, just my sampled vst's not so much.

I don't know how this is possible, and I don't know alot about audio, but other than the tone itself, I think there is something substantiallly different in the sound of pianoteq compared to sampled vst's.

My speakers are jbl lsr 305's, and my headphones are superlux hd602's. Don't be fooled by the cheapness of these headphones, I think they are an exceptional bargain and sound extremely far above the pricerrange.

I feel like playing with headphones really brings out all the details in the sound, and with pianoteq this is a bad thing, because i'm hearing all these artificial details I can't stand. So that's an explanation why pianoteq sounds bad on my headphones, but it doesn't explain why I actually prefer pianoteq over my sampled vst's over my speakers. crazy

Pianoteq sounds natural and pleasant over my speakers, while my sampled vst's sound off, like the EQ settings are messed up or something, but I can't seem to make it right by EQ.

Anyone has any ideas about this?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am on a similar boat than @U3piano : when I play with headphones (Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro in my case), I can't play with Pianoteq for a long period but on speakers (also JBL LSR305) it sounds better.

I have got quite a lot of sampled VSTs and I can use them on headphones for a longer time... I guess some high-frequency filtering could help with Pianoteq. I will try with Cubase and some insert effects soon.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
(also JBL LSR305)

Vpc1, Yamaha u3, lsr305's, we have so much of the same stuff! eek

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
(also JBL LSR305)

Vpc1, Yamaha u3, lsr305's, we have so much of the same stuff! eek

Yes, you need to get a DT-770 PRO and we will be clones grin

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Yes, you need to get a DT-770 PRO and we will be clones grin

Haha. Maybe one day..

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by U3piano
I can actually kind of relate to this thread, since I have this strange situation.

All my sampled vst's sound great on my headphones, but not so great on my speakers. With pianoteq it's the exact opposite. I hate it on my headphones, but it sounds quite good on my speakers, dare I say better than my sampled vst's.

Listening to music sounds great on my speakers, pianoteq sounds great on them, just my sampled vst's not so much.

I don't know how this is possible, and I don't know alot about audio, but other than the tone itself, I think there is something substantiallly different in the sound of pianoteq compared to sampled vst's.

My speakers are jbl lsr 305's, and my headphones are superlux hd602's. Don't be fooled by the cheapness of these headphones, I think they are an exceptional bargain and sound extremely far above the pricerrange.

I feel like playing with headphones really brings out all the details in the sound, and with pianoteq this is a bad thing, because i'm hearing all these artificial details I can't stand. So that's an explanation why pianoteq sounds bad on my headphones, but it doesn't explain why I actually prefer pianoteq over my sampled vst's over my speakers. crazy

Pianoteq sounds natural and pleasant over my speakers, while my sampled vst's sound off, like the EQ settings are messed up or something, but I can't seem to make it right by EQ.

Anyone has any ideas about this?

i’m using a pair of JBL 308P MKII 8" studio monitors. Neither sampled nor modeled VSTs sound as good as headphones, and I can still hear the artificiality from the speakers. I still like sampled VSTs better than Pianoteq via speakers.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I checked out a bunch of speakers and monitors and so forth at the stores....

The QSC 12" sounded the best for digital "acoustic" pianos, followed closely by the 10" Yamaha monitors. For gigs, QSC all the way.

Everything else sounded like dog sh!t.

For portable, I own Vox and Roland battery operated keyboard amps, not as good as QSC but for portability sound great.

VST, internal Kawai, Pianotec all sound great on my headphones: AKG 271 Mk. ii.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
You have to give it to modartt and pianoteq- I’ve left my computer on service and have temporarily a 2012 MacBook Air, the base model. I installed pianoteq (a few mb:s) and plugged it in my piano without any external sound card or anything and it works absolutely flawlessly and sounds and play beautifully.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
R
R
In fact, the best "speaker" for playing PTQ is the soundboard with transducers. It can produce audio signals that are very close to the sound of the strings. Therefore, playback with the soundboard also simulates the process of the acoustic piano.
On the other hand, the strings sound would be too dry and a little unnatural by normal speakers, especially headphones.
Anyone who owns TA2/Aures can test with PTQ.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
G
G
There are cabinet simulations for guitar and bass available.
Would be great, if there are also piano soundboard simulations available as vst, then we could use it with PTQ...

At least there is the free Bayerdynamic VST for simulating studio monitors :-)
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/bvs-virtual-studio.html

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Thought I'd chip in here if nobody minds too much . . . smile I was playing quite a lot today for some reason (probably nothing better to do) and strangely everything went well. I was in a good mood and let rip.
No headphones, no neighbours at present. And for the last couple of days I've been using that which emuates the antique straight strung Erard.
Sounded darn good; those well out o' tune notes in the lower register continue to ring when they shouldn't, as do one or two of the resonances, long after I've stopped playing. That and the Ancient Bechstein between them manage to convey in no uncertain terms all that's bad about acoustics.
I'm hooked on them. The pianos' imperfections have at long last won me over.

Now maybe I can just play the music. . . .. . . . Happy days.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission