2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
25 members (36251, clothearednincompo, Adem, Georg Z., auflauf, Hannu T, foxy.au, Alex Hutor, 4 invisible), 442 guests, and 441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Glenn Gould - On the Record
#3036193 10/16/20 06:15 AM
K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
I find this inspiring. Additionally, to me, this is an example of the authentic Steinway sound, only available on the vintage instruments. A nod to Ed McMarrow here, one part of the recipe is the comparatively lighter hammer. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0MZrnuSGGg

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Re: Glenn Gould - On the Record
Keith D Kerman #3036202 10/16/20 07:12 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
I find this inspiring.

Agreed - I am in the middle of watching it right now. Thank you for sharing.

(I think you may have also originally shared the videos of Gould rehearsing in his "country home" on his Chickering. Thank you for that as well.)

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
Rich Galassini #3036328 10/16/20 01:13 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
[quote=Keith D Kerman]

(I think you may have also originally shared the videos of Gould rehearsing in his "country home" on his Chickering.

I believe that's included in Gould Off the Record, the companion piece to On the Record.

Both are great documentaries. I enjoy Howard Scott's interactions with Gould quite a bit.

Gary
Keith D Kerman #3036382 10/16/20 04:01 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed it too.

Speaking of Scott, I was surprised to see him following the score while Gould was playing. I guess I've seen too many "behind the scenes" with various pop groups lately (trying to be mom and dad to my girls these days...).

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Keith D Kerman #3037915 10/21/20 06:20 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I have just come back here to watch this video a second time. Along with other videos of Gould that Keith has posted in the past, this is a great documentary.

I am surprised it is not getting more love here on PW.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
Keith D Kerman #3038006 10/21/20 11:34 AM
G
G
Before the internets I actually ordered a dvd of this through the mail. Interesting at the beginning to see Gould's characteristic avoidance of the hand shakes - almost like a modern covid greeting. Love the behind the scenes banter and especially love watching him play the andante. We are lucky this exists. Thanks for posting Keith.

Currently working on: Brahms Intermezzo in A, Op.118 No.2
Keith D Kerman #3038080 10/21/20 03:11 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Year ago I had a recording of Glen Gould playing Preludes Fugues from the WTC. I could clearly hear him humming in the background. As I was keenly studying these pieces at the time ,I found his humming as instructive.
Later on I was distracted by this . I have always been fascinated by his playing of Bach.
With a few other composers he would really do his "own thing" and ignor the composers wishes.

The Steinway certainly sounded gorgeous. Thank you an interesting documentary.

Rich Galassini #3039089 10/25/20 12:43 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I do love it, Rich--- and a big love "Thank You" to Keith, not only for sharing these moments before they evaporated, but for realizing their significance.

It is a great and deep mystery, this gift of talent. It fascinates me; it seems to cast light on a great range of feeling and behavior, which are mysteries of their own (even as they illuminate the truth by their own radiance). It is one reason I love to read published biographies of musicians. and there's quite a bit about Glen Gould, some of it quite good. Second-hand bookstores and possibly the online dealers are the best sources, for by this time these titles are long out of release.

My last piano teacher suggested that I use YouTube as a study tool, to watch the great concert artists at their work of performance (from the best seat in the house). I have dragged my feet on that one, but of course he was right. It is a study aid that has transformed all of education. Reading a print description is one aspect, and if it cannot actually capture the activity of genius in the moment it happens, it can still chock quite a bit of information in, on-the-fly. One book that I have about Gould's life is almost all black-and-white photos, such as the photography output of fashion studios and some art photographers, and a few news photographers were creating at the time, with the cameras and films and photo print papers that were available back then. (It was during these years that Diane Arbus was working with these same tools, but that's another window into a different branch of the story.)

Having learned it the hard way, I would suggest that Glen Gould is a better artist to enjoy by listening, by trying to understand music from his point-of-view, and not such a one to offer his fans and students a good personal example to emulate. He was in agony from issues with back and hand troubles which, we now know, you don't really have to have. Lot of pills and drugs, not for kicks but to try to turn down the volume on the pain. His life seemed to be a lonely one; no long-term partner, not a lot of friends. To have a talent possess a life, and work through its human instrument, really is to be alone (just as it also is to never be alone). But, there it is: you have your Rachmaninoffs and you have your Goulds. Speedboat trips with his house guests on the lake at his Swiss summer home, poker parties, after-dinner concerts; lots of fun, then back to work, handling many personal responsibilities in the course of long life. Or Gould's life, which seems very austere to the external student, and which ended much earlier than we might have hoped, and perhaps with less happiness than we would have granted. Even, at the very same time, that he was a very popular performer and did have the big love from his audiences (for the most part).

But, he seemed happy enough during these studio sessions... actually, I don't think 'happy' covers it. It's some variety of 'joy.' I've been paying attention, lately, to other artists, so thanks so much for drawing my attention back to an old favorite. I can, and will, make time in my life for this kind of study.

Clef

Keith D Kerman #3039127 10/25/20 05:45 AM
I love this documentary. Thanks for sharing. (Now I’m going to re-read “A Romance on Three Legs”.)

TH
[Linked Image]
Keith D Kerman #3039221 10/25/20 12:06 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Actually I meant years ago , when I was still a student .Sometimes times seems compressed now , yes well over 50 years ago. When "how to play Bach" was still a mystery to me. What I learned from his recordings was how articulation could add to trying to achieve an amazing sense of rhythm .
At that time the discovery of phrasing and articulation in Baroque music was just so important. "Emulate" ,perhaps when I was a student that is exactly what I would do to a degree .I would emulate Goulds playing. (as best as I could )

The Beatles may have been pop stars but to me so was Gould.
Yes I emulated Gould's articulation and phrasing, besides I needed to learn those Preludes and Fugues quickly to satisfy my teacher, at 17 I had other things I wanted to do ,apart from playing Bach ,certainly at times I did not appreciate Bach and his Fugues but then I was was young.
However I loved that recording and I remember the day I was able to aquire another -- The Goldberg Variations, what a joy at that discovery.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/25/20 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Keith D Kerman #3039351 10/25/20 09:56 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks Keith for posting this. So nice to see Gould before his mental state and health suffered from his descent into obsession. He was a brilliant person.

The piano sounded marvelous. I noticed they kept the fall board off.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keep playing no matter what
by Tom97 - 11/29/20 06:14 AM
K. Kawai piano. Best tuning,
by Maximillyan - 11/29/20 03:22 AM
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,122
Posts3,028,379
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission